ADVERTISEMENT

F.S.U..Taggart and what he got..

LakerGator

Rowdy Reptile
Dec 3, 2015
Florida
F.S.U.’s Last 4 recruiting classes or the ones that comprise Willie Taggart’s team were ranked by Rivals #10, #5, #2 and #3 in the NATION! How in the name of Boddy Bowden can they lose so badly to V.Tech and Syracuse and nearly to Samford? Yesterday they didn’t exactly swamp a 1-2 N.I.U. team.

Given the talent he inherited I’d say of all the new coaches that Willie Taggart is doing the worse job of all of them.

Plain and simple, Willie can’t coach. His USF team had better talent against their weak conference rivals, and his Oregon team was underachieving. This is what happens when you have a below average coach being on a level playing field. Mullen took a team loaded with two and three star players and competed against a five star Bama team. Now that’s a good coach. Wait and see what happens to MSU now that he is gone.

Just a reminder, TA&M $75MM man also had a losing record 5-6 with all those great recruiting classes. Dumbo couldn't recruit nor coach OL and left the Nulls with nothing. So, new system, terrible OL recruiting/coaching for the past what 7 years and it is what it is. I remember Jarapist getting beat around during their NC year with a weak schedule. Not Taggart's fault, but it is his problem now. LMAO!!

F.S.U.’s Last 4 recruiting classes or the ones that comprise Willie Taggart’s team were ranked by Rivals #10, #5, #2 and #3 in the NATION! How in the name of Boddy Bowden can they lose so badly to V.Tech and Syracuse and nearly to Samford? Yesterday they didn’t exactly swamp a 1-2 N.I.U. team.

Given the talent he inherited I’d say of all the new coaches that Willie Taggart is doing the worse job of all of them.

Yep. We were told that recruiting was all it takes by a few. They also told us that Taggart, Frost and Kelly were all far better picks than Mullen.

Those 3 guys are 2-8 on the season, Mullen is 3-1.

Florida made the right choice.

Last year, FSU was 2-5 after a 30 point loss to Boston College at one point. That was with Jimbo.

I’m not sure what caused the sudden collapse. Francois is not that much better than Blackman. He made some head scratching decisions vs NIU.

I suspect that Jimbo got a little used to having superstars like Jameis Winston and Dalvin Cook bailing him out. It’s not an exaguration to say that those two guys personally saved the day for at least 2-3 games every season from 2013-2016. There are only a handful of coaches who win championships without the benefit of a superstar player.

In fairness to Jimbo, most coaches can’t win championships even with superstars, so I’m not knocking him. If he gets dealt a pimp hand, he will competently play it. But he is not a GOAT tier coach who can spin thread into gold, like Saban and Meyer.

Just a reminder, TA&M $75MM man also had a losing record 5-6 with all those great recruiting classes. Dumbo couldn't recruit nor coach OL and left the Nulls with nothing. So, new system, terrible OL recruiting/coaching for the past what 7 years and it is what it is. I remember Jarapist getting beat around during their NC year with a weak schedule. Not Taggart's fault, but it is his problem now. LMAO!!
Recruiting OL wasn't a problem under Fisher. The problem has been injuries and transfers/players dismissed leading to little depth.

Recruiting OL wasn't a problem under Fisher. The problem has been injuries and transfers/players dismissed leading to little depth.
FSU has had a bad OL during most of Dumbo's tenure there. This year I see what you are saying about lack of depth, but that falls more on to Dumbo than Taggart.

Yep. We were told that recruiting was all it takes by a few. They also told us that Taggart, Frost and Kelly were all far better picks than Mullen.

Those 3 guys are 2-8 on the season, Mullen is 3-1.

Florida made the right choice.
McElwain was 3-1 on the season at this point last year too. How did October turn out? BTW, thanks for playing.

You mean like the 2013 championship team OL who all got drafted that you said was horrible?
Yes. The weak link on their 2013 NC team was the OL. QB play bailed them out, along with solid WR and RB play. FSU has sent many OL to the NFL through the draft despite how they played as a unit and many have done far better as pros than in college. Why? Coaching. FSU fans have griped about the OL since Fisher and Trickett arrived and with good reason.

Yep. Great coaching plus great recruiting equals great NFL draft performance. Smart fans get this.
Jimbo Fisher is an elite recruiter, no doubt. He is not a great coach. In both 2016 and 2017 he (and Trickett) were roasted by both fans and media alike for the play of his OL, where his QBs were getting pummeled and abused every game.

We had threads over here just about every year regarding "4 Loss Fisher" asking what mediocre ACC team he would lose to. MJ (RIP) was usually the leader of this. Please tell me you are not trying to make a case for Dumbo as a great coach, especially on game day. Great coaches don't go 5-6 with a weak schedule and Top 10 recruiting classes.

Jimbo Fisher is an elite recruiter, no doubt. He is not a great coach. In both 2016 and 2017 he (and Trickett) were roasted by both fans and media alike for the play of his OL, where his QBs were getting pummeled and abused every game.

We had threads over here just about every year regarding "4 Loss Fisher" asking what mediocre ACC team he would lose to. MJ (RIP) was usually the leader of this. Please tell me you are not trying to make a case for Dumbo as a great coach, especially on game day. Great coaches don't go 5-6 with a weak schedule and Top 10 recruiting classes.

They can when it appears they had totally checked out early in the season (to be fair, I don't think Jimbo is an elite coach).

They can when it appears they had totally checked out early in the season (to be fair, I don't think Jimbo is an elite coach).
You just made another case as to why Jimbo is not a great coach. Great coaches are great competitors and fight to the end on the field. MJ would be dropping one of his "Oh Dear" and "Bless your heart" on malone for making a ridiculous comment like he did about Fisher.

I don't think Jimbo is an elite coach either, but he's not bad. And he IS an elite recruiter and he IS coaching at the richest school in the country with the richest recruiting base in the country.

That's gonna equal a whole lotta wins for him and A&M. Georgia hiring Kirby never worried me, but A&M hiring Fisher did from the minute it was announced.

In the AAC it should be consistently be a battle between UCF/USF in the east and Houston in the West with an occasional Memphis.

Doing "pretty good" at USF...and "Building a strong program" doesn't make you an elite coach considering the talent available in it's own backyard vs the likes of ECU, UConn, etc.

WELL!!!, YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO SAY, OP!!??

giphy.gif

Dumbo couldn't recruit nor coach OL and left the Nulls with nothing. So, new system, terrible OL recruiting/coaching for the past what 7 years and it is what it is.

FSU has had a bad OL during most of Dumbo's tenure there. This year I see what you are saying about lack of depth, but that falls more on to Dumbo than Taggart.

FSU fans have griped about the OL since Fisher and Trickett arrived and with good reason.

Homosissy, Jimbo and/or his OL coach may not be able to coach (debatable), but they got quality recruits 2015-17.

FSU 2015-18 OL Recruits: 10 ****, 5 ***
(Tag 2-2, Jimblow 8-3)

2018 -- Tag's first class:
OG Christian Armstrong 6-4 328 **** - Warner Robins, Ga
OG Christian Meadows 6-4 325 **** - Montezuma, Ga (rivals ***)
OT Chaz Neal 6-7 275 *** - Zephyrhills, FL
OT Jalen Goss 6-7 265 *** - Valdosta, Ga

OT Brady Scott 6-6 285 *** - Powder Springs, Ga
(small class, short on OL, but 6 in 16)

OC Baveon Johnson 6-3 346 **** - Lakeland, FL
OG Landon Dickerson 6-5 315 **** - Hickory, N.C.
OT Jauan Williams 6-6 296 **** - Cheltenham, Md
OG Mike Arnold 6-4 349 **** - Winter Haven, FL
OT Josh Ball 6-8 311 **** - Fredericksburg, Va
OG Andrew Boselli 6-4 313 *** - Ponte Vedra Bch, FL

OT Abdul Bello 6-6 300 **** - Uyo, Nigeria
OG Cole Minshew 6-6 320 **** - Pridgen, Ga
OG David Robbins 6-4 315 **** - Glenelg, Md
OT Ethan Frith 6-7 336 *** - Summit, MS

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Homosissy, Jimbo and/or his OL coach may not be able to coach (debatable), but they got quality recruits 2015-17.

(Tag 2-2, Jimblow 8-3)

Well, Dumbo and Trickett sure didn't develop them based on the abuse their QBs have taken and according to hardliner there has been quite a bit of injuries/transfers/etc. That doesn't fall on Taggart in year 1. If 2017 OL recruiting is accurate as you state of there then Dumbo is a bigger idiot than we thought.

The o line blows.... Think of the smallest bitch man that you can....hes better than our o line

Taggart has been coaching for 10 years and his record is 49-52.

That record speaks for itself.
Im not as worried about his record. He has always taken over programs that were awful and turned them around. I know he can do that but i dont think he can win a NC which is all i care about. Taggart is a good coach, hes not elite though. Let him recruit a few yrs, fire his a$$ and hire an elite coach. That would be my strat

(Tag 2-2, Jimblow 8-3)

Well, there's the contributors and two of those bolded are injured.

Well, Dumbo and Trickett sure didn't develop them based on the abuse their QBs have taken and according to hardliner there has been quite a bit of injuries/transfers/etc. That doesn't fall on Taggart in year 1. If 2017 OL recruiting is accurate as you state of there then Dumbo is a bigger idiot than we thought.

One year doesn't tell the story. You'd like better balance, but 3 years = 11 = 3.7 OL per year.
One more in 17 would have done it, but he missed on a couple. Taking 6 the year before is lost on you, is it? :rolleyes:

FSU's current OL Roster:

D.Kelly II 6-5 320 rsSr
A.Eberle 6-4 295 rsSr
C.Martinez 6-4 305 rsSr
A.Williams 6-4 320 rsSr
A.Bello 6-6 302 rsJr
C.Minshew 6-5 329 rsJr
B.Johnson 6-3 295 rSo
L.Dickerson 6-6 308 rsSo
M.Arnold 6-5 328 rsSo
J.Williams 6-7 295 rsSo
B.Scott 6-6 301 rsFr

C.Meadows 6-4 344 Fr
J.Goss 6-7 273 Fr
C.Neal 6-7 286 Fr
C.Armstrong 6-4 316 Fr

Looks like solid depth, size and experience, with 10 that are in their 3rd to 5th seasons.

Coaching, System, Game Plans, Play Calling, Skill Players, and the Quality of QB all play a part in how well the OL plays on Saturday. It's always easy to just blame the OL though...:cool:
(i.e. #'s...) ;)

Yes. The weak link on their 2013 NC team was the OL. QB play bailed them out, along with solid WR and RB play. FSU has sent many OL to the NFL through the draft despite how they played as a unit and many have done far better as pros than in college. Why? Coaching. FSU fans have griped about the OL since Fisher and Trickett arrived and with good reason.

A lot of people forget they had a crazy good defense that year also that shut most everyone down but Auburn in the championship game.

Reactions: Homosassie Gator
One year doesn't tell the story. You'd like better balance, but 3 years = 11 = 3.7 OL per year.
One more in 17 would have done it, but he missed on a couple. Taking 6 the year before is lost on you, is it? :rolleyes:

FSU's current OL Roster:

D.Kelly II 6-5 320 rsSr
A.Eberle 6-4 295 rsSr
C.Martinez 6-4 305 rsSr
A.Williams 6-4 320 rsSr
A.Bello 6-6 302 rsJr
C.Minshew 6-5 329 rsJr
B.Johnson 6-3 295 rSo
L.Dickerson 6-6 308 rsSo
M.Arnold 6-5 328 rsSo
J.Williams 6-7 295 rsSo
B.Scott 6-6 301 rsFr

C.Meadows 6-4 344 Fr
J.Goss 6-7 273 Fr
C.Neal 6-7 286 Fr
C.Armstrong 6-4 316 Fr

Looks like solid depth, size and experience, with 10 that are in their 3rd to 5th seasons.

Coaching, System, Game Plans, Play Calling, Skill Players, and the Quality of QB all play a part in how well the OL plays on Saturday. It's always easy to just blame the OL though...:cool:
(i.e. #'s...) ;)

They are ****ing terrible.... Did you see the clips on twitter? Its an accomplishment if we breathe near the guy as he runs by. Yes we have other isusses.....but DF seeing ghosts is him constantly getting pounded because of look out blocks. We do have other issues. It truly saddens me seeing the talent of these kids coming out of high school and the pansyness they play with

They are ****ing terrible.... Did you see the clips on twitter? Its an accomplishment if we breathe near the guy as he runs by. Yes we have other isusses.....but DF seeing ghosts is him constantly getting pounded because of look out blocks. We do have other issues. It truly saddens me seeing the talent of these kids coming out of high school and the pansyness they play with

WTF??? Does this mean that you agree with me about the idiots giving out the recruiting stars?
(snicker) :D

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Last year, FSU was 2-5 after a 30 point loss to Boston College at one point. That was with Jimbo.

I’m not sure what caused the sudden collapse. Francois is not that much better than Blackman. He made some head scratching decisions vs NIU.

I suspect that Jimbo got a little used to having superstars like Jameis Winston and Dalvin Cook bailing him out. It’s not an exaguration to say that those two guys personally saved the day for at least 2-3 games every season from 2013-2016. There are only a handful of coaches who win championships without the benefit of a superstar player.

In fairness to Jimbo, most coaches can’t win championships even with superstars, so I’m not knocking him. If he gets dealt a pimp hand, he will competently play it. But he is not a GOAT tier coach who can spin thread into gold, like Saban and Meyer.
That’s a cogent and lucid post..... from an fsu fan no less.

But seriously, I believe you’re right on target with this. But to be fair, the biggest reason Meyer and Saban are so great is that they are lights out recruiting. Every year. It’s the thing that gives Kirby Smart a chance to succeed. And is the reason for Dabo’s ascendence.

Honestly, I believe that jimbo is a championship run at atm away from being equal to Meyer. The thing that sets Saban apart is the fact that he hasn’t melted down like Meyer 2009/10 or Jimbo the last couple of years at fsu. He can manage ALL aspects of his program year after year. No let up.

FSU's current OL Roster:

D.Kelly II 6-5 320 rsSr
A.Eberle 6-4 295 rsSr
C.Martinez 6-4 305 rsSr
A.Williams 6-4 320 rsSr
A.Bello 6-6 302 rsJr
C.Minshew 6-5 329 rsJr
B.Johnson 6-3 295 rSo
L.Dickerson 6-6 308 rsSo
M.Arnold 6-5 328 rsSo
J.Williams 6-7 295 rsSo
B.Scott 6-6 301 rsFr

C.Meadows 6-4 344 Fr
J.Goss 6-7 273 Fr
C.Neal 6-7 286 Fr
C.Armstrong 6-4 316 Fr

(i.e. #'s...) ;)
Let me be clear since you seem to struggle with basic reading comprehension. I am blaming Dumbo and Trickett for F$U's OL woes over the past several years. Consider that to be inclusive of coaching, system, etc. It doesn't fall on Taggart in year 1 for something that has been a problem for years. If there isn't an improvement in year 2 barring the injuries/etc. as hardliner mentions that will fall squarely on Taggart and his staff.

Im not as worried about his record. He has always taken over programs that were awful and turned them around. I know he can do that but i dont think he can win a NC which is all i care about. Taggart is a good coach, hes not elite though. Let him recruit a few yrs, fire his a$$ and hire an elite coach. That would be my strat
That's where we are too. Feel your pain.

That's where we are too. Feel your pain.

LOL!

Taggart is in his 9th season as HC, Mullen is in his 10th.

Mullen is 72-47, all years in the SEC
Taggart is 49-52, starting his 2nd season at a Power 5 conference.

Taggart has had 2 seasons where he won more than 7 games, Mullen has had 5.

Taggart has had 3 losing seasons and is working on his 4th. Mullen has had 2.

It's no contest between the two. Mullen has a much better record against much better competition. Take Mullen and stick him at Western Kentucky and South Florida for his career and he is sitting at an 80-21 record right now, and you think he's the hottest coach in the country.

Stick Taggart at the worst program in the SEC for 9 years, and he might win 15 games.

Florida is damn lucky to have Mullen as their HC and watching you struggle to handle being wrong about it is absolutely hilarious.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
It will be interesting to see how FSU does Saturday vs. Louisville. After FSU's first 3 games it looked like they might not win another game all year. Not saying an 18 point win over NIU is Earth shattering, but they at least looked competent last week. A win over UL (who is not good) and at least you're moving in the right direction heading into the UM game. You don't want to be the guy that snaps the bowl streak in your first season.

It will be interesting to see how FSU does Saturday vs. Louisville. After FSU's first 3 games it looked like they might not win another game all year. Not saying an 18 point win over NIU is Earth shattering, but they at least looked competent last week. A win over UL (who is not good) and at least you're moving in the right direction heading into the UM game. You don't want to be the guy that snaps the bowl streak in your first season.

There would be no bowl steak left to snap had JF stayed. Odell got us there last year, not JF.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT