ADVERTISEMENT

Excerpt from Byron White dissent from 1973 Roe vs Wade

Orangeclad

Rowdy Reptile
Jul 5, 2001
There were only 2 dissenters from that landmark ruling, White and William Rhenquist. In light of all the ctiticism of that decision years ago, I was interested in what any of the dissent was and I really think Byron White nailed it but didn't have much help. Excerpt below:

"I find nothing in the language or history of the Constitution to support the Court's judgment. The Court simply fashions and announces a new constitutional right for pregnant women and, with scarcely any reason or authority for its action, invests that right with sufficient substance to override most existing state abortion statutes. The upshot is that the people and the legislatures of the 50 States are constitutionally disentitled to weigh the relative importance of the continued existence and development of the fetus, on the one hand, against a spectrum of possible impacts on the woman, on the other hand. As an exercise of raw judicial power, the Court perhaps has authority to do what it does today; but, in my view, its judgment is an improvident and extravagant exercise of the power of judicial review that the Constitution extends to this Court."

There were only 2 dissenters from that landmark ruling, White and William Rhenquist. In light of all the ctiticism of that decision years ago, I was interested in what any of the dissent was and I really think Byron White nailed it but didn't have much help. Excerpt below:

"I find nothing in the language or history of the Constitution to support the Court's judgment. The Court simply fashions and announces a new constitutional right for pregnant women and, with scarcely any reason or authority for its action, invests that right with sufficient substance to override most existing state abortion statutes. The upshot is that the people and the legislatures of the 50 States are constitutionally disentitled to weigh the relative importance of the continued existence and development of the fetus, on the one hand, against a spectrum of possible impacts on the woman, on the other hand. As an exercise of raw judicial power, the Court perhaps has authority to do what it does today; but, in my view, its judgment is an improvident and extravagant exercise of the power of judicial review that the Constitution extends to this Court."
Such foresight.

Appointed by JFK…. Former star college FB player…. Probably the only SC Justice appointed by a Dem to go against the Dem agenda. Unfortunately plenty of GOP-nominated justices (Brennan, Souter, Kennedy, among others) turned out to be colossal disasters.

Appointed by JFK…. Former star college FB player…. Probably the only SC Justice appointed by a Dem to go against the Dem agenda. Unfortunately plenty of GOP-nominated justices (Brennan, Souter, Kennedy, among others) turned out to be colossal disasters.
You have to bear in mind that the Dim party in the South was very conservative and the NE Dems were moderate-conservative. It wasn't until 1980 before you started to see the GOP with Reagan start to gain momentum with the conservative Christians in the South.

Reactions: ghost_of_ukalum1988
You forgot to add Roberts to that list of disasters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT