ADVERTISEMENT

Etienne enters the portal

As repulsive as it is, the phrase “"expectations for opportunities unfortunately were not met" is pretty funny.

sadgator could use that phase for just about everything in his life…

It’s like, “Welcome to the real world, kid.”
Yeah and he’s doing something about it. You guys getting on the kids for this nonsense is hilarious. NCAA and schools had the sweetest gig going for 40 years. Free labor to sell out stadiums and get billion dollar network deals.

Yeah and he’s doing something about it. You guys getting on the kids for this nonsense is hilarious. NCAA and schools had the sweetest gig going for 40 years. Free labor to sell out stadiums and get billion dollar network deals.

Nonsense. He doesnt have a contract for that stuff apparently. I hope he gets what he has coming. It sounds like an agent got involved after the fact possibly also. Even if someone with no power told him he would get that after he came he was dumb enough to go without having it in writing apparently from the people with the actual power. Dont feel for this adult kid one bit.

If you went to work for someone and they verbally promised you they’d give you a $100k bonus but they’d have to work it out. And they didn’t come through AND you had options, what would you do? You’d tell them to F off. What’s the difference?

Reactions: gatordad3
If you went to work for someone and they verbally promised you they’d give you a $100k bonus but they’d have to work it out. And they didn’t come through AND you had options, what would you do? You’d tell them to F off. What’s the difference?

Total Ignorance if you don't get NIL written in a proper contract and things will get even crazier if these agents get players threatening redshirts and leaving early in the season if their NIL isn't increased. Since they want to act like employees instead of students heck just treat them as such. Canada football I think was capped at 85k a year salary and most of them are better than most college players. Then you can field a team with mostly proven players.

Edit: I guess Canada has tweaked their pay thing a lot and a few players can make up to 400k now unlike before.

Last edited:
Total Ignorance if you don't get NIL written in a proper contract and things will get even crazier if these agents get players threatening redshirts and leaving early in the season if their NIL isn't increased. Since they want to act like employees instead of students heck just treat them as such. Canada football I think was capped at 85k a year salary and most of them are better than most college players. Then you can field a team with mostly proven players.

Edit: I guess Canada has tweaked their pay thing a lot and a few players can make up to 400k now unlike before.
Why isn’t it total ignorance for UNLV not to get the deal in writing? They might have been in the playoff, or at least gone to a good bowl, for $100k. Seems like a good investment to me.

If UNLV isn’t going to come through on some dough and the kid has representation that tells him someone else will (and seems to me he’s more marketable as a player after going 3-0) I don’t blame him for preserving his eligibility.

Why isn’t it total ignorance for UNLV not to get the deal in writing? They might have been in the playoff, or at least gone to a good bowl, for $100k. Seems like a good investment to me.

If UNLV isn’t going to come through on some dough and the kid has representation that tells him someone else will (and seems to me he’s more marketable as a player after going 3-0) I don’t blame him for preserving his eligibility.

We dont know what happened but it's on the player to make sure his NIL is legit with a contract. This kid may not get that looking at his passing and background. An agent in their ear after the fact if true will lead to players getting bad info and stuff like this also. Schools are crazy if they ever start giving into NIL bigger demands during the season also. Hopefully some get screwed big time by these agents so it doesn't become a huge issue.

We dont know what happened but it's on the player to make sure his NIL is legit with a contract. This kid may not get that looking at his passing and background. An agent in their ear after the fact if true will lead to players getting bad info and stuff like this also. Schools are crazy if they ever start giving into NIL bigger demands during the season also. Hopefully some get screwed big time by these agents so it doesn't become a huge issue.
Why is it on the kid? Based on what? Seems to me both had something to gain and something to lose. He lost a year at UNLV but he can go elsewhere. He just graduated from Holy Cross. If he can’t get $100k he can go get a year of free grad school from someplace better than UNLV.

UNLV was ranked and probably on their way to a 7 figure bowl payout. They may still do that but obviously the coaches thought this guy gave them the best shot.

We should try that at work, eh Fevered Brain?

Schools better stand up to this mess or these agents will have players threatening this same thing when they are doing alright on the field - using the threat of hurting the teams season. The jokers already have the redshirt to preserve a year and complete free agency basically and now this crap could become an issue. I doubt the courts would allow the NCAA to enforce a rule about NIL as the courts have already made it clear NIL is a right and doesn't care about practicality headaches or if boosters are just using it as pay to attend their school and not for real NIL deals in reality that would make no economic sense for the boosters.

Reactions: Mrs. Sadgator
Schools better stand up to this mess or these agents will have players threatening this same thing when they are doing alright on the field - using the threat of hurting the teams season. The jokers already have the redshirt to preserve a year and complete free agency basically and now this crap could become an issue. I doubt the courts would allow the NCAA to enforce a rule about NIL as the courts have already made it clear NIL is a right and doesn't care about practicality headaches or if boosters are just using it as pay to attend their school and not for real NIL deals in reality that would make no economic sense for the boosters.
Yeah I’m sure the schools are going to stand up to it. These guys would sell their mother to get bowl eligible.

Courts won’t enforce restrictions on the NIL because it’s fundamentally unfair. In what other multi billion dollar enterprise do the organizations keep all the revenue and the employees have to seek out third party compensation? It’s ridiculous. If the schools want security they should ask for the ability to negotiate contracts directly with the players. Acknowledge the reality that they are employees and pay them. But the schools and ncaa won’t because they want to keep all the money. This is the penalty they (and fans) will continue to pay.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
And yes the ability to market yourself for compensation is a right in this country. What’s funny is you guys all probably think of yourselves as capitalists and favor free markets. But when it comes to college kids, you guys think they should work for nothing or at least off the books.

Yeah I’m sure the schools are going to stand up to it. These guys would sell their mother to get bowl eligible.

Courts won’t enforce restrictions on the NIL because it’s fundamentally unfair. In what other multi billion dollar enterprise do the organizations keep all the revenue and the employees have to seek out third party compensation? It’s ridiculous. If the schools want security they should ask for the ability to negotiate contracts directly with the players. Acknowledge the reality that they are employees and pay them. But the schools and ncaa won’t because they want to keep all the money. This is the penalty they (and fans) will continue to pay.

I think there is an incentive for the schools (boosters shelling out the money) to stand up to it. They know the chaos it could cause if agents have these kids start doing this in mass. They actually have an incentive to hold it against them some and not give a kid and agent that pull that as big a deal as they might if they just left after the end of the season. It would be the wild west if they allow this to really start taking off and don't hold it against the ones trying it.

I think there is an incentive for the schools (boosters shelling out the money) to stand up to it. They know the chaos it could cause if agents have these kids start doing this in mass. They actually have an incentive to hold it against them some and not give a kid and agent that pull that as big a deal as they might if they just left after the end of the season. It would be the wild west if they allow this to really start taking off and don't hold it against the ones trying it.
The chaos this “could cause”? Horse is out of the barn on that one. If you don’t think we’re going to see huge amounts of kids holding out under the current system you’re crazy. Why wouldn’t they?

In the end this will be a good thing. The chaos this brings will force the NCAA to work out direct payments for players. It’s the only answer. Problem is, knowing the NCAA, it will take 5 years.

The chaos this “could cause”? Horse is out of the barn on that one. If you don’t think we’re going to see huge amounts of kids holding out under the current system you’re crazy. Why wouldn’t they?

The schools/boosters could easily stop it from becoming a big issue. You do the NIL collective deal with the stipulation you have to play the whole season if there isn't an early injury that makes that not possible. You make the payments and wording structured to where if the agent etc pulls this they are only paid the NIL deal portion for how much of the season they fulfilled the NIL deal. If you abandon the team after 4 games the remaining 2/3 is void and the biggest thing is teams don't reward the behavior knowing the agents will be like flies on sh*t eventually if they do. If you get that situation where a kid comes out of nowhere and shocks you with his play then reward them during the season if you think it's appropriate. They already have the easiest free agency in sports they better not let that get totally abused even more.

The schools/boosters could easily stop it from becoming a big issue. You do the NIL collective deal with the stipulation you have to play the whole season if there isn't an early injury that makes that not possible. You make the payments and wording structured to where if the agent etc pulls this they are only paid the NIL deal portion for how much of the season they fulfilled the NIL deal. If you abandon the team after 4 games the remaining 2/3 is void and the biggest thing is teams don't reward the behavior knowing the agents will be like flies on sh*t eventually if they do. If you get that situation where a kid comes out of nowhere and shocks you with his play then reward them during the season if you think it's appropriate. They already have the easiest free agency in sports they better not let that get totally abused even more.
You’re still going to have kids down the depth chart quitting in season, not wanting to waste a year of eligibility. I’d be surprised if we don’t see a bunch this year. I guess we’ll see this week.

I know this might be a strange question but is this Scuba kid a family member of Etienne or are they kin in some way since its a Etienne thread?
It’s an NIL thread. Why you care so much about thread etiquette man on a board with like 10 posters?
980f1161-4486-4e6a-931f-093c4ab1b28f_text.gif

I'm cool with whatever you older gentlemen do so you dont have to read all the threads since maybe you dont have the time or stamina.👍I notice alot of you dont post after 9pm and post early in the morning. My grandpa has hours like that👨‍🦳
So what if we hijack threads from time to time. I can safely say that us 50 and over guys here really....

I'm cool with whatever you older gentlemen do so you dont have to read all the threads since maybe you dont have the time or stamina.👍I notice alot of you dont post after 9pm and post early in the morning. My grandpa has hours like that👨‍🦳
Are you in your basement?😄

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT