ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Not that stats or stars mean anything at all in recruiting,,, jus-sayin....

4-star Stokes --- P 58.9%, 22 TD's to 9 Ints -- R 6 TD's, 2 LPF's

3-star Prichard - P 60.2%, 26 TD's to 7 Ints -- R 5 TD's, 0 LPF's

With the current portal rules, PWO's are likely to mostly cease to exist in P-5.
Go to a smaller school and if you do well, move up with no sit-out to a higher level.
(see Gator B-Ball for an example of this)

FNL Attendees

Cormani McClain shared that he "thinks" he will visit UF on July 29 for the Friday Night Lights event that is expected to be held for recruits, although the trip isn't set in stone quite yet. The window for visits is short and other programs, like Alabama and Miami, are fighting for his time as well.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...cruiting-cormani-mcclain-update-corey-raymond

More on Cormani McClain

The top defensive back in the class of 2023 is still considering Florida, but it looks like five-star cornerback Cormani McClain will make a decision closer to the end of the year rather than the end of summer date he teased back in the spring.

He plans to take official visits during the season and decide in December, according to Swamp247.

McClain also is likely to attend Florida’s upcoming Friday Night Lights camp on July 29, but he said the trip is not official yet. Speaking of visits that are official, McClain made his way to Miami in June for the first of his five official visits. Alabama will get the second one on Oct. 5 when the Crimson Tide hosts Texas A&M. Florida and Georgia should both get one as well.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...mcclain-firday-night-lights-unofficial-visit/

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
FNL Attendees

Cormani McClain shared that he "thinks" he will visit UF on July 29 for the Friday Night Lights event that is expected to be held for recruits, although the trip isn't set in stone quite yet. The window for visits is short and other programs, like Alabama and Miami, are fighting for his time as well.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...cruiting-cormani-mcclain-update-corey-raymond

More on Cormani McClain

The top defensive back in the class of 2023 is still considering Florida, but it looks like five-star cornerback Cormani McClain will make a decision closer to the end of the year rather than the end of summer date he teased back in the spring.

He plans to take official visits during the season and decide in December, according to Swamp247.

McClain also is likely to attend Florida’s upcoming Friday Night Lights camp on July 29, but he said the trip is not official yet. Speaking of visits that are official, McClain made his way to Miami in June for the first of his five official visits. Alabama will get the second one on Oct. 5 when the Crimson Tide hosts Texas A&M. Florida and Georgia should both get one as well.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...mcclain-firday-night-lights-unofficial-visit/i

I hope we can land him but worried NIL may prevent that.

I'm sure he's relieved he doesn't have as much child support as he used to. I'll give it to Cromartie, at least he remembers every one of his kids names, and he's not a dead beat dad like Travis Henry, or was it Stevens?!
Henry.

From what I've heard Stevens wasn't a bad dude. Pretty nice. Just picked a shitty university to attend. 🤣

Elite 2023 RB Justice Haynes Commits to Alabama​

The four-star back chose the Crimson tide over offers from Georgia, Florida, Ohio State and others.

Alabama added another key addition to its star-studded 2023 class Sunday as it received a commitment from four-star running back Justice Haynes. The 5-foot-10, 200-pound back chose the Crimson Tide over offers from home-state Georgia as well as Florida, Ohio State, Southern California and others.

His dad starred at UGA.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/...ite-2023-rb-justice-haynes-commits-to-alabama

• Wow

The four-star back chose the Crimson tide over offers from Georgia, Florida, Ohio State and others.

Alabama added another key addition to its star-studded 2023 class Sunday as it received a commitment from four-star running back Justice Haynes. The 5-foot-10, 200-pound back chose the Crimson Tide over offers from home-state Georgia as well as Florida, Ohio State, Southern California and others.

His dad starred at UGA.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/...ite-2023-rb-justice-haynes-commits-to-alabama

Yep they matched the others on NIL I assume.

His dad starred at UGA.

The Dwag fans have been in meltdown mode since his commitment to Bama. From what I hear, their RB recruiting is going about as well as our LB recruiting.

The Dwag fans have been in meltdown mode since his commitment to Bama. From what I hear, their RB recruiting is going about as well as our LB recruiting.
Dad,

Since our LB & OT recruiting is going NO WHERE, I can see why Dawgs in meltdown.

There may be a sudden influx of McDonalds' bags to TREYAUN WEBB's house !
NOT LOL !

Emergency ! Call Dee Webb - Gators are Treyaun's 3rd commitment.

If he becomes a DAWG; I will go into meltdown !

Last edited:

2023 -- WDE/OLB Isaiah Nixon 6-4 215 ****, Natl. 211
In defense of the recruiting, the roster isn't exactly an empty cupboard, with only 2 that are Sr's and 1 rsJr likely to be gone in 2023.
Be good to get 2-3 more, but it's still a long way to NSD.

2022 Roster: 15 LB'ers

OLB Brenton Cox Jr - rsJr
OLB David Reese rsJr
OLB Lloyd Summerall III - rsSo
OLB Antwaun Powell-Ryland Jr - So
OLB Andrew Savaiinaea Fr
OLB Bryce Capers Fr
OLB Jack Pyburn Fr
=====
ILB Ventrell Miller - 6th Sr
ILB Amari Burney - Sr
ILB Kenny Anyaehie rsJr
ILB Diwun Black - Jr
ILB Justin Pelic rsSo
ILB Derek Wingo - So
ILB Scooby Williams - rsFr
ILB Shemar James - Fr

Last edited:
Fever,

Just what I wanted to hear; You are NOT helping !

Well it helps a little by keeping Georgia from getting an A&M 2022 level of recruits. Speaking of A&M I am not sure if they are just slow walking it so far or if they just plan on a crazy recruiting blitz every other season.

Well it helps a little by keeping Georgia from getting an A&M 2022 level of recruits. Speaking of A&M I am not sure if they are just slow walking it so far or if they just plan on a crazy recruiting blitz every other season.
Fever,

I actually thought of that a while back; but was afraid to post it.

I have no idea how much A&M actually spent on last year's class & if, as LG89 suggested, they back loaded it - smaller amounts in 1st 2 years with more money in years 3 & 4 in hopes of keeping them from jumping to the NFL too soon.

I do believe A&M used it as a recruiting tool - a certain player who committed to A & M then continued to take OV & shop out NIL $$ comes to mind.

The other issue you & other posters have raised is that the donors are looking for a cost benefit relationship & what will happen if they don't get it - does the money dry up if they can't just buy a NC ?

LG89 your thoughts appreciated here.

The more money poured into NIL, the more competitive the market gets - more money chasing the same limited supply of "goods." The ROI - Return on Investment - goes down drastically as inflation hits the 5* HS player market.

Another thought that has been posted is how much tougher it will be to stack 5*s on top of 5*s. The every other year approach puts some spacing in between recruits at the same position with the possibility of a player getting more starting time & a better path to the NFL.

If this approach doesn't work out - there is always the transfer portal.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Fever,

I have no idea how much A&M actually spent on last year's class & if, as LG89 suggested, they back loaded it - smaller amounts in 1st 2 years with more money in years 3 & 4 in hopes of keeping them from jumping to the NFL too soon.

I do believe A&M used it as a recruiting tool - a certain player who committed to A & M then continued to take OV & shop out NIL $$ comes to mind.

The other issue you & other posters have raised is that the donors are looking for a cost benefit relationship & what will happen if they don't get it - does the money dry up if they can't just buy a NC ?

The more money poured into NIL, the more competitive the market gets - more money chasing the same limited supply of "goods." The ROI - Return on Investment - goes down drastically as inflation hits the 5* HS player market.

Another thought that has been posted is how much tougher it will be to stack 5*s on top of 5*s. The every other year approach puts some spacing in between recruits at the same position with the possibility of a player getting more starting time & a better path to the NFL.

If I was a mega rich booster buying recruits I probably would space it every other season buying a bunch of recruits. We will see if A&M's crazy class pays off in the 2023 or 2024 season.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

OL Tommy Kinsler Provides Recruitment Update​

The Florida Gators remain in offensive lineman Tommy Kinsler's top three following his decommitment from the program.

While Trinity Catholic (Fla.) offensive lineman Tommy Kinser has officially decommitted from the Florida Gators, the program does remain in his top three, which includes the Miami Hurricanes and the Florida State Seminoles.

Kinser says that he and Florida are still on good terms, with the relationship he has developed with the coaches and the atmosphere around the program standing out as he continues to mull over his decision - yada, yada.

IMO, basically just Recruit-Speak - polite, non committal, non-answers to meaningless questions from DEMETRIUS HARVEY of All Gators.

He decommitted - what more needs to be said.

Even though I think Anthony Richardson did it; IMO, the overall percentage of recruits who decommit, then recommit & sign with the same school is very small.

Recruiting for Canes & Noles better than last years - especially Canes; more NIL Money ?

Not sure why he still lists Gators in his top 3; maybe he hopes to preserve a safety valve for his recruiting if the OL classes of Noles & Canes fill up or they recruit over the top of him.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...mit-tommy-kinsler-provides-recruitment-update

Last edited:
How is this kid rated where he is??? Looks a lot better than his rating to me.

#109 WR Tyree Patterson 6-2 180 *** - Eustis, FL

2021 HS Jr - 53 for 1,078 yds, 20.34 Yds/Rec, 13 TD's.

He has a long stride, good hands and smooth acceleration, and he's a good down field blocker.

Fever,

I don't care how much money the boosters have, it's going to be difficult to get millions from them every year, particularly if they only see their school treading water. 50 schools can't buy a title, there is only 1 available each year. You might get donors to give a big pile for a year or two to chase the dream, but when the bubble bursts it will burst hard. Let's not forget that all wealthy donors have one thing in common: HEIRS. Most of the time a spouse, and most of them will have kids, the rest have nieces, nephews, etc. And all of them will be screaming bloody murder about the donor giving away their future fundage. Particularly if there is no ROI, no improvement in the football.

But nobody is going to get out of the business. What will happen is what happens in the NFL: A few players will get bank, and the rest will get a little stipend, with the promise that if they become stars the money will increase. What this will do is stop a few schools from stockpiling all the talent (I realize TAMU did that, but more schools are getting their acts together and their NIL up to speed, so it will be tough to do that again). But the days of Bammer and Ugaly and tOSU cornering the market on the best players is over (anyone who thinks players only started going where there was money started with NIL is kidding themselves). There will be more parity in recruiting. The difference between #1 and #10 will be less in future years than the difference was between #1 and #5 before NIL. There will be no reason for 5 stars to go sit behind 5 stars when they will get the same basic money as freshmen plus the promise of more if they become stars. I mean, where are you more likely to become a star early in your career, the place where you sit behind a 5 star, or the place where you are starting possibly from your very first game?

The reality is NIL ended amateur athletics at the collegiate level, and possibly the high school level as well, eventually. Even if people don't realize it yet, college football is now a for-profit model. A non-profit model will not work. The only way to make it work is to separate the teams from the school, create a professional minor league, and institute a draft. All players would get a three year contract with an option for a 4th year. That will end all this NIL nonsense. With no free agency, there would be no more bidding wars. Of course, the players would now be employees and therefore have the right to form a union, same as the NFL players. So they could set up a collective bargaining agreement that is fair to them, plus get benefits as well. That is how to make the college game work. Of course, it means that power would flow from team to team and we would no longer have the same teams on top each year, but I'm ok with that.

I don't care how much money the boosters have, it's going to be difficult to get millions from them every year, particularly if they only see their school treading water. 50 schools can't buy a title, there is only 1 available each year. You might get donors to give a big pile for a year or two to chase the dream, but when the bubble bursts it will burst hard. Let's not forget that all wealthy donors have one thing in common: HEIRS. Most of the time a spouse, and most of them will have kids, the rest have nieces, nephews, etc. And all of them will be screaming bloody murder about the donor giving away their future fundage. Particularly if there is no ROI, no improvement in the football.

But nobody is going to get out of the business. What will happen is what happens in the NFL: A few players will get bank, and the rest will get a little stipend, with the promise that if they become stars the money will increase. What this will do is stop a few schools from stockpiling all the talent (I realize TAMU did that, but more schools are getting their acts together and their NIL up to speed, so it will be tough to do that again). But the days of Bammer and Ugaly and tOSU cornering the market on the best players is over (anyone who thinks players only started going where there was money started with NIL is kidding themselves). There will be more parity in recruiting. The difference between #1 and #10 will be less in future years than the difference was between #1 and #5 before NIL. There will be no reason for 5 stars to go sit behind 5 stars when they will get the same basic money as freshmen plus the promise of more if they become stars. I mean, where are you more likely to become a star early in your career, the place where you sit behind a 5 star, or the place where you are starting possibly from your very first game?

The reality is NIL ended amateur athletics at the collegiate level, and possibly the high school level as well, eventually. Even if people don't realize it yet, college football is now a for-profit model. A non-profit model will not work. The only way to make it work is to separate the teams from the school, create a professional minor league, and institute a draft. All players would get a three year contract with an option for a 4th year. That will end all this NIL nonsense. With no free agency, there would be no more bidding wars. Of course, the players would now be employees and therefore have the right to form a union, same as the NFL players. So they could set up a collective bargaining agreement that is fair to them, plus get benefits as well. That is how to make the college game work. Of course, it means that power would flow from team to team and we would no longer have the same teams on top each year, but I'm ok with that.

Don't see how you can separate it from the schools as you could get CFL and a few lower paid NFL guys to give you better production than many of these guys just out of high school. I know it's gotten crazy now with some boosters and NIL but I think the fans wouldn't be as interested if things changed like that either.

...50 schools can't buy a title, there is only 1 available each year. You might get donors to give a big pile for a year or two to chase the dream, but when the bubble bursts it will burst hard.
LG89,

appreciate your thoughts

Hoping A&M comes up DRY; could even live with Saban winning the next 2 or 3 SEC West titles; would be poetic justice ! LOL

LG89,

appreciate your thoughts

Hoping A&M comes up DRY; could even live with Saban winning the next 2 or 3 SEC West titles; would be poetic justice ! LOL
I can see where you are coming from, but for me, I love the fact that people are buying players away from Bammer, because they have been buying players away from the rest of us for 60 years.

I can see where you are coming from, but for me, I love the fact that people are buying players away from Bammer, because they have been buying players away from the rest of us for 60 years.
LG89,

Bear Bryant was proud to admit that he had bought players everywhere he coached - TAMU, Bama & probably KY.

SOS - “In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama. Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

Reactions: Countygator1
Don't see how you can separate it from the schools as you could get CFL and a few lower paid NFL guys to give you better production than many of these guys just out of high school. I know it's gotten crazy now with some boosters and NIL but I think the fans wouldn't be as interested if things changed like that either.
First, the schools have to license their NIL to the team, and the team must rent the stadium and play the games there. To the fan, the experience would be largely the same.

Second, it would have to be like soccer and be an age-restricted league. Since the oldest recruits are usually no more than 19, a U-23 league would work.

Third, since the NFL requires 3 years out of high school, all the contracts would be three years in length, with an optional 4th year. No more 5th year players, sorry.

Fourth, since there is no free agency, all contracts must be guaranteed, within certain minimum performance requirements (such as you have to show up).

Players who didn't want to go where they were drafted could always go to the CFL or overseas, or wait until they were old enough to try out for the NFL. But, with no more school requirements, I can't imagine anyone wanting to go anywhere else when they could go here.

First, the schools have to license their NIL to the team, and the team must rent the stadium and play the games there. To the fan, the experience would be largely the same.

Second, it would have to be like soccer and be an age-restricted league. Since the oldest recruits are usually no more than 19, a U-23 league would work.

Third, since the NFL requires 3 years out of high school, all the contracts would be three years in length, with an optional 4th year. No more 5th year players, sorry.

Fourth, since there is no free agency, all contracts must be guaranteed, within certain minimum performance requirements (such as you have to show up).

Players who didn't want to go where they were drafted could always go to the CFL or overseas, or wait until they were old enough to try out for the NFL. But, with no more school requirements, I can't imagine anyone wanting to go anywhere else when they could go here.

An age limit would solve some things but still think many fans would abandon college football if they went that far. Enough to really drive down the ratings

Reactions: TennesseeGator
An age limit would solve some things but still think many fans would abandon college football if they went that far. Enough to really drive down the ratings
Fever,

See your point & agree.

College football would just be the NFL's Minor League. If NFL did like MLB & supported its college minor leagues, might be different; but that won't happen.

State of Florida has three NFL Franchises; if you want top quality football, you would drive to Jax, Tampa, or Miami,

Last edited:
Napier & Gators continue instate focus -

Jordan Castell, 6-2, 195-pound safety out of West Orange High School in Winter Garden, Florida, will be in Gainesville for the July 30 cookout the Gators are hosting for recruits.
Castell told 247’s Blake Alderman that he could potentially be in attendance for the Gators’ Friday Night Lights recruiting event the night before as well

4* safety Jordan Castell will announce his college decision on July 30 - at the cookout ?

247Sports says he’s down to just three schools: Florida, Alabama and Tennessee.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...ll-recruiting-jordan-castell-commitment-date/

Last edited:
Update (12:00 p.m. ET): LB Malik Bryant has canceled his decision today, and will make the decision at a later date, which has yet to be announced.

Bad luck with OTs may continue.

As for Kirkland, his recruitment by Florida has been up and down. Florida made him a priority player for quite some time during the offseason, bringing in the big-man offensive tackle for a visit three times unofficially, with an official visit on June 10.

Since then, however, it appears that the sides have cooled from both parties, and it wouldn't be surprising to see the 6-foot-5, 355-pound OT commit elsewhere.

Currently, Kirkland is set to decide between Alabama, Florida, Miami, Michigan State and Oklahoma.

Kirkland is set to make his announcement live on the 247Sports YouTube channel at 7:30 p.m. ET.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...gets-set-announce-commitments-bryant-kirkland

Orlando (Fla.) Jones four-star linebacker Malik Bryant will not be committing today. The top-60 prospect has called off his announcement since he believes he is not ready to make a decision yet.

Bryant has not set a new date for his commitment. He is waiting to see how he feels before deciding on the next step of his football career.

The 6-foot-2, 234 pound recruit took official visits this summer to the Gators, Terrapins and Hurricanes. According to the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine, it is a close race between Miami and Florida to land Bryant’s commitment. The Hurricanes lead at 51.5%, while the Gators aren’t far behind at 44.7%.

https://www.on3.com/news/4-star-lb-malik-bryant-delaying-commitment/

Kirkland isn’t good and wasn’t wanted by any of his top suitors. They all backed off (UF, Miami & Mich St).
Paco,

Damn !

I did see a comment on another site that efforts by UF to sign him had cooled over the last bit.

But I didn't realize that schools had soured on him to that degree !

In a perfect world, which OTs would you like to see the Gators sign ?

I see a rather long list of big money endorsement agreements getting cancelled in their 1st year, and/or not renewed...

You might want to date the cheerleader or the prom queen, but those dates often don't turn into long term relationships for marriages....

While there is a long long way to go its becoming pretty clear our ceiling for the 2023 class is probably about #10. Just don't see any way for us to do better than about a #10 class with all the buying of these top 100 recruits with NIL promises at other schools. To do better than that I think we would have to load up with quite a few 3 stars with a class of over 25 players.

The state of Florida has 22 players now in the composite top 100 and we have signed none of them and only appear to be in serious play for one of them - 5 star Cormani McClain. McClain will have to be a rare player for us to sign him imo if Bama or Miami were to present him a nice NIL offer.

* I do see John Walker is in the top 100 now so maybe we will land a top 100 player finally.

Of the 22 state of Florida recruits in the top 100 fourteen have committed to the following schools:

Miami - 5
Georgia - 3
OSU - 2
LSU - 1
ND - 1
Penn St - 1
FSU - 1

* Alabama hasn't signed a top 100 recruit out of FL as of now and looks to only be in the mix on 2 of the remaining 8. Zero chance of that being the case pre-NIL.

Its actually really good on Napier's part that he is signing all these recruits just below that area where they are insisting on NIL to sign. From what I have read Michigan has been taking the same approach as us and telling the kids how they will be taken care of once they are playing etc. and they are struggling a lot more than us so far recruiting. We would have probably ended up with like a #20 or worse class in this NIL environment had lazy Mullen stayed on another year.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Miami only got good by cheating so it shouldn't surprise anyone that now they can cheat legally they are cleaning up.

Reactions: mcanes
While there is a long long way to go its becoming pretty clear our ceiling for the 2023 class is probably about #10. Just don't see any way for us to do better than about a #10 class with all the buying of these top 100 recruits with NIL promises at other schools. To do better than that I think we would have to load up with quite a few 3 stars with a class of over 25 players.

The state of Florida has 22 players now in the composite top 100 and we have signed none of them and only appear to be in serious play for one of them - 5 star Cormani McClain. McClain will have to be a rare player for us to sign him imo if Bama or Miami were to present him a nice NIL offer.

* I do see John Walker is in the top 100 now so maybe we will land a top 100 player finally.

Of the 22 state of Florida recruits in the top 100 fourteen have committed to the following schools:

Miami - 5
Georgia - 3
OSU - 2
LSU - 1
ND - 1
Penn St - 1
FSU - 1

* Alabama hasn't signed a top 100 recruit out of FL as of now and looks to only be in the mix on 2 of the remaining 8. Zero chance of that being the case pre-NIL.

Its actually really good on Napier's part that he is signing all these recruits just below that area where they are insisting on NIL to sign. From what I have read Michigan has been taking the same approach as us and telling the kids how they will be taken care of once they are playing etc. and they are struggling a lot more than us so far recruiting. We would have probably ended up with like a #20 or worse class in this NIL environment had lazy Mullen stayed on another year.
I agree overall but am holding out hope for a legit top 7-10 class.

We should get 3-4 top 200 recruits this week which would put us at the composite #11. This weekend will determine the tragectory.

If that happens we'll have like 15-16 commits with only 2 being 3-stars, and suppoedly 1 of those are getting sent elsewhere. So I like the high blue-chips incoming.

My main concern right now is that the pool of uncommitted continues to go down and even if we pop 4 this weekend, we need another 8-10 recruits that are also highly rated. We'll see how it goes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT