ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Chauvin trial - what does the jury do?

For the love of all things holy...in this post I state that even if Floyd had survived that Chauvin should have been fired and possibly prosecuted for Assault 3.

...but @kalimgoodman doesn't understand why I still want him "on the force."

WTH...am I on punk'd???
And because he didn't. It's murder. As I stated before, the video ended things for Chauvin because before it was released, MPD said Floyd died because of drugs per Chauvin police report.

And I don’t think anyone here is saying he is a good cop or that he shouldn’t be held accountable. He is a POS. Murder 2 wasn’t proven and should not have even been charged in my opinion. I am fine with murder 3 and/or manslaughter. I also believe being a LEO has to be a tough and stressful job. They have to make split second decisions sometimes, that can be the difference between life and death. Think about 9/11, they were the ones running into the twin towers. I for one am glad they are out there helping to keep me and my family safe.
Everyone here has said the cop was wrong. @kalimgoodman is the only one here that can't admit that Floyd's actions may have contributed to his death.

We all know why.

Reactions: gatordad3
I am working to do the same thing. 5 more years. I have looked at Kentucky and Tennessee and counties that off the beaten path.
Well @martycat1 y this led to one giant rabbit hole. Pickett has Dale Hollow and the Obey river. The Obey reminds me of the Obed in Cumberland county tn. The Obed has a few creeks in the county as tributaties. All of these end up eventually in the Tennessee which eventually ends up in the Miss and the Atlantic.

Crab Orchard Tn is approx 300 miles from Memphis and the Miss river. I can go down to the creek by my dad's house and pee in it. That pee would need to travel 800+ miles to Memphis. The water from that creek eventually will reach the Gulf and the Atlantic. So if i pee in that creek I am peeing in the Atlantic. Maybe 1 part per trillion reaches the ocean.

Rabbit meet hole.

Well @martycat1 y this led to one giant rabbit hole. Pickett has Dale Hollow and the Obey river. The Obey reminds me of the Obed in Cumberland county tn. The Obed has a few creeks in the county as tributaties. All of these end up eventually in the Tennessee which eventually ends up in the Miss and the Atlantic.

Crab Orchard Tn is approx 300 miles from Memphis and the Miss river. I can go down to the creek by my dad's house and pee in it. That pee would need to travel 800+ miles to Memphis. The water from that creek eventually will reach the Gulf and the Atlantic. So if i pee in that creek I am peeing in the Atlantic. Maybe 1 part per trillion reaches the ocean.

Rabbit meet hole.
Dale Hollow. Been around them parts a lot. Not far from one our nations heroes. Sgt. York.

Reactions: nail1988

Rabbit meet hole.
I have roots in Knott, Floyd, Breathitt counties in Ky. Water is my main concern when looking. Carr Creek is interesting.

40539988-9371877-image-m-8_1615987307836.jpg

I get the argument that we can’t be 100% certain that Chauvin’s actions caused or significantly contributed to Floyd’s death. But I have no objection to convicting a guy who knelt on someone’s neck for ten minutes even though he was already handcuffed. IMO, even if Floyd survived, Chauvin should still have been sentenced to hard time.
What happened to the pics of him with his knee in Floyd's shoulder?

Dale Hollow. Been around them parts a lot. Not far from one our nations heroes. Sgt. York.
My Great gran knew the Sarge.

Go to the 7:45 mark to get the flavor of the region. They had a lot of fun with that poor salesman.

My favorite exchange:

Salesman: ...over here from Jamestown.
Whittler: [interrupts] JimTown
Salesman: I thought it was Jamestown?
Whittler: It ere. (translation it is)
Salesman: [Befuddled look.]
Salesman: How do you fellas get into this valley?
Whittler: We were born here.
Crowd: laughs
Salesman [cracks a little uneasy smile beginning to possibly understand he is being teased by the whittler.]

Last edited:
My Great gran knew the Sarge.

Go to the 7:45 mark to get the flavor of the region. They had a lot of fun with that poor salesman.

My favorite exchange:

Salesman: ...over here from Jamestown.
Whittler: [interrupts] JimTown
Salesman: I thought it was Jamestown?
Whittler: It ere. (translation it is)
Salesman: [Befuddled look.]
Salesman: How do you fellas get into this valley?
Whittler: We were born here.
Crowd: laughs
Salesman [cracks a little uneasy smile beginning to possibly understand he is being teased by the whittler.]

I have watched that movie many times. Yes that salesman didnt have a chance.

I am definitely not saying that they should be cops. I'm just saying at that time Chauvin was the senior police officer and they had to follow order's. The police union is big on chain of command or showing up an older officer especially as rookies. So I get why they were scared. The police culture failed them. I'll have a difficult time accepting them as guilty but I do understand if they are guilty. I hope they plead out.

Actually it's illegal to follow an illegal order. That was my point.

To your point, as a super green officer, there's a ton of pressure to follow orders...all of them. To be a cop you need a spine...and a moral compass of course.

To your point, as a super green officer, there's a ton of pressure to follow orders...all of them. To be a cop you need a spine...and a moral compass of course.
You need to be physically and emotionally strong to be a policeman. I firmly believe that less imposing figures get taken to task more than physically imposing officers because the suspect is immediately thinking can I overpower this officer.

That probably is true, but when did cops have to start being lawyers while under pressure in a snap judgement scenario? I personally find that goes against all logic, either police or in a military setting. That's double jeopardy.

You need to be physically and emotionally strong to be a policeman. I firmly believe that less imposing figures get taken to task more than physically imposing officers because the suspect is immediately thinking can I overpower this officer.

Absolutely. I workout, weights and cardio, about 12 hours a week. It has made a world of difference for me. I have fewer physical confrontations as a result.

Being mentally strong helps as well. Decisive and slow to anger are key. But once it's on, it's F'n on.

That probably is true, but when did cops have to start being lawyers while under pressure in a snap judgement scenario? I personally find that goes against all logic, either police or in a military setting. That's double jeopardy.

I don't disagree. The reasonableness doctrine takes that into account.

...probably less so today than yesterday, however.

Reactions: nail1988
I firmly believe that less imposing figures get taken to task more than physically imposing officers because the suspect is immediately thinking can I overpower this officer.

Another factor, according to research, is how the officer is dressed/presents himself. An officer in a clean and tidy uniform (wrinkle and stain free for example) is less likely to be assaulted. "They" did a study asking perpetrators of assault on a LEO why they did it and the answers were eye opening. Officers who dressed like crap were way more likely to be assaulted.

In one case, a man was speeding on a turnpike through the NE, through 3 states, and he was pulled over 3 times by 3 different cops. He shot and killed the 3rd one.

He was asked why he shot the 3rd one. His response..."I woke up that morning with the resolve to kill a cop. I was speeding so that I would get pulled over and I planned on killing whichever cop approached my car. The first two looked well put together, prepared and on their game. Their uniforms were immaculate, wrinkle free and looked to be tailored. I was wasn't sure that I could take them so I decided not to challenge them. The third cop was a local city cop. He was overweight, his uniform didn't fit him well and it appeared that he had not shaved his face that morning. I knew I could take him."

He shot and killed the 3rd cop as he approached the car to bring him his citation after sizing him up early on during the traffic stop.

Yep it probably affects the thinking some even though you can find many cases of people resisting and trying to flee with in shape officers also because they know they have a large amount of drugs on them or something like that.

My guess would be you would see less resisting on your standard DUI, drug possession and things like that if the cops looked like they could handle themselves.

The left would probably tell you 110 pound female is just as capable to be a good police officer as they are to be in combat arms in the military while they lower the standards big time to successfully complete the training.

Yep it probably affects the thinking some even though you can find many cases of people resisting and trying to flee with in shape officers also because they know they have a large amount of drugs on them or something like that.

My guess would be you would see less resisting on your standard DUI, drug possession and things like that if the cops looked like they could handle themselves.

The left would probably tell you 110 pound female is just as capable to be a good police officer as they are to be in combat arms in the military while they lower the standards big time to successfully complete the training.

I will say in Alabama, the females have the same standards and training rigors as their male counterparts. One standard.

Right, all of the equality garbage in protective services has created a lot of this resistance from suspects. If you can't handle a 250 lb suspect you have no business being in that line of work. You don't see small women thrust into the NBA or NFL over equality, so, why are protective services any different?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT