ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen

So, if, and I say IF a new HC is ever needed, then why Dan Mullen instead of cow-Chip Kelly?

Well, at MsSt, that Power-Hause of SEC football and HS recruiting.... :rolleyes:

SEC Players of the Week for week 3:
OFFENSE: Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State
DEFENSIVE LINE: Jeffery Simmons, DL, Mississippi State
OFFENSIVE LINE: Darryl Williams, OL, Mississippi State

Plus:
cow-Chip Kelly = LAC 12 & NFL Fired Loser
Dan Mullen = SEC UF & MsSt

The only thing that I'd wish for cow-Chip is to eat-chit & die... :mad:

I really can't stand him, as a coach or as just a person. :cool:

Reactions: nail1988
I would rather not have Mullen but if they win at Georgia that name will start being talked about a lot.

Fev, those with some football smarts already know, whatever happens with UGly...

I'd rather keep Mc, but IF I had to choose right now, Dan's the Man imo.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
The only thing that I'd wish for cow-Chip is to eat-chit & die... :mad:

I really can't stand him, as a coach or as just a person. :cool:

I couldn't agree more instant. I DO NOT see the fascination with this FOOL. I wouldn't want this ass clown around Chokelahoma.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
The theory behind Chip, primarily, is that his style of offense perfectly suits the talent coming out of the Florida high school ranks.

And he did do a pretty good job with lesser talent at Oregon.

Agreed. I have quite a few coaches ahead of Chip

But then again you thought Chump and Mac were good hires, so I will take your opinion of a guy who has played for a national title and put up 15x the offense we have with half the talen with a grain of salt

Dan Mullen is a great coach.

Another name a lot of people don't know is Purdue's head coach Brohm. He's done a great job every where he's been

Dan Mullen is a great coach.

Another name a lot of people don't know is Purdue's head coach Brohm. He's done a great job every where he's been

Brohm is on a roll. We always hear Mullen is great until they start losing. I will admit if he was to pull a 6-2 SEC record this year I might have to change my opinion but up to this point he has had just one winning SEC season out of his 8 prior years there which is not that impressive imo even on Miss State.

Reactions: Ruffneck6161
Mullen is already making almost 5 million a year for one winning SEC season in 8 years at Miss State. That alone probably keeps him from ever coming here.

I'd 100% be down for Mullen but I have no idea how anybody would take him over Chip. Chip went 46-7 at Oregon and went to 4 straight BCS games with talent that wasn't even on the level of those top teams. And he develops the hell out of the QB position. Dennis Dixion, Mariotta, etc. Hell he had Mariotta and Manziel committed at the same time at one point.

I guess people can knock him for the NFL but he was more successful there than Spurrier and Saban. 10-6 his first two years and both years had a top 5 offense. Then he had a falling out with management year 3 and went 6-9 but one thing that needs to be said is the QB's he coached those three years all had their best seasons ever under him. He didn't have a bad record until he went to SF which was a clear rebuild situation, hell they won like 3 games the year before. I can understand not having him #1 but not wanting him at all? That's insanity.

Evil, maybe you're correct about the boosters. Any take a poll of them lately?

Fev, Dan may be smart to ever come back here to deal with the fat-rats...
As to his abilities as a HC, just consider this:

Show me any HC in MsSt History that has done as much, and they have had some pretty decent HC's over the years. Dan is 64-42 (.604) as HC at MsSt (2009-2016)

2004 - 4-8 - Fired their coach and then hired Dan.

2009 - 5-7 - Dan's first year at MSSt.
2010 - 9-4 with a bowl win over Mich.
2011 - 7-6 with a bowl win over WF.
2012 - 8-5 with a bowl loss to 10-3 NW.
2013 - 7-6 with a bowl win over 10-4 Rice.
2014 - 10-3 with a bowl loss to 11-3 GaTech.
2015 - 9-4 with a bowl win over NCSt.
2016 - 6-7 with a bowl win over Miami (OH).
2017 - I think that he might be #2 behind UA in the SECw right now. Have to wait and see where he finishes for 2017.

He's the ONLY HC in MsSt history to go to 7 consecutive bowls.
He has also gone 5-2 in those 7 bowl games
And the two losses were to teams with 10-11 wins.
So while his record vs SEC teams is not great, consider that the SECw is as stong as it's ever been since he's been at MsSt. Not an easy row to hoe by any means.... o_O
This is like Spurrier taking SCa to 3 consecutive 11 win seasons.
It's a big deal because of where he did it and the past histories.

Evil, maybe you're correct about the boosters. Any take a poll of them lately?

Fev, Dan may be smart to ever come back here to deal with the fat-rats...
As to his abilities as a HC, just consider this:

Show me any HC in MsSt History that has done as much, and they have had some pretty decent HC's over the years. Dan is 64-42 (.604) as HC at MsSt (2009-2016)

2004 - 4-8 - Fired their coach and then hired Dan.

2009 - 5-7 - Dan's first year at MSSt.
2010 - 9-4 with a bowl win over Mich.
2011 - 7-6 with a bowl win over WF.
2012 - 8-5 with a bowl loss to 10-3 NW.
2013 - 7-6 with a bowl win over 10-4 Rice.
2014 - 10-3 with a bowl loss to 11-3 GaTech.
2015 - 9-4 with a bowl win over NCSt.
2016 - 6-7 with a bowl win over Miami (OH).
2017 - I think that he might be #2 behind UA in the SECw right now. Have to wait and see where he finishes for 2017.

He's the ONLY HC in MsSt history to go to 7 consecutive bowls.
He has also gone 5-2 in those 7 bowl games
And the two losses were to teams with 10-11 wins.
So while his record vs SEC teams is not great, consider that the SECw is as stong as it's ever been since he's been at MsSt. Not an easy row to hoe by any means.... o_O
This is like Spurrier taking SCa to 3 consecutive 11 win seasons.
It's a big deal because of where he did it and the past histories.

I can show you Miss State head coaches that managed more than 1 winning SEC record in 8 years as coach. Heck Franklin managed that in just his 2nd year with Vandy. Mullen took 6 years to get a winning SEC record for State finally.

I can show you Miss State head coaches that managed more than 1 winning SEC record in 8 years as coach. Heck Franklin managed that in just his 2nd year with Vandy. Mullen took 6 years to get a winning SEC record for State finally.

So, when I'm in charge of hiring a HC, I'll take Dan.
When you're in charge of hiring a HC, you can take the cow-chip, or any one else that suits you. No worries mate... :cool:

The last time Kelly coached a college football game was 2012. I'd prefer somebody that is currently coaching in college. Since 2012 the college game has already changed a bunch. I'd rather have a young up and comer that is hungry and has something to prove rather than the guy that has gotten lazy and fat.

I'd prefer to focus on guys like Brohm & Fuente, etc.

I am perplexed as to why this is still an active subject. Mac is not even close to being on a hot seat, yet there seems to be continuous discussions about possible replacements for him. He is not going anywhere for at least two full seasons('17/'18). If he keeps competing for, and winning, SECe division titles and playing in the SECCG while continuing being awarded raises and contrast extensions then he most certainly is not going anywhere for even longer than these two years. It seems some are waiting for an implosion that is just not happening.

Isn't it holy writ that the boosters hate Dan Mullen?
Foley didn't like the way he left Florida. My guess is that our current AD might have a different opinion of him.

Dan is still running the Tebow left, Tebow right, Harvin left, Harvin right kind of offense. It works when you have that level of talent. But when the team has to throw, his route trees seem very simplistic. At least they were when he coached at Florida

The last time Kelly coached a college football game was 2012. I'd prefer somebody that is currently coaching in college. Since 2012 the college game has already changed a bunch. I'd rather have a young up and comer that is hungry and has something to prove rather than the guy that has gotten lazy and fat.

He coached just last year, what's the rationale behind believing he's become fat and lazy? Timing of his release from SF just put him behind to land a good job. And considering he was a pioneer at two different levels it's hard to believe he'd be behind the times in any way. Bellicheck believes he's one of the most brilliant coaches he's ever been around.

Reactions: SwampMaster

Anxious to see Brohm against Michigan this weekend. Purdue has 1/50th the talent we do. If he can put up yards and points with that team that says all you need to about our Mac and Nuss clown show.

He coached just last year, what's the rationale behind believing he's become fat and lazy? Timing of his release from SF just put him behind to land a good job. And considering he was a pioneer at two different levels it's hard to believe he'd be behind the times in any way. Bellicheck believes he's one of the most brilliant coaches he's ever been around.

What does Belicheck know....lol

Agreed. I have quite a few coaches ahead of Chip
Frost if he is successful
Norvell if he is successful again
Mullen ""
Foley didn't like the way he left Florida. My guess is that our current AD might have a different opinion of him.

Dan is still running the Tebow left, Tebow right, Harvin left, Harvin right kind of offense. It works when you have that level of talent. But when the team has to throw, his route trees seem very simplistic. At least they were when he coached at Florida

I guess I missed the memo?

What did he do wrong when he left Florida? He finished out the season and coached in the title game for UF. Some(not all) go ahead and leave at the seasons end and don't coach the bowl game. I do understand it was the National Title and not a regular bowl but I missed anything he did wrong leaving.

Mullen coaches in the west... Franklin coached in the east. That has to be worth a little.

I do agree with Norvell and Frost, I like them a alot. But they are basically younger versions of Chip. Big time offense and hit or miss defense. Actually Chip's defenses have been much better.

I'd 100% be down for Mullen but I have no idea how anybody would take him over Chip. Chip went 46-7 at Oregon and went to 4 straight BCS games with talent that wasn't even on the level of those top teams. And he develops the hell out of the QB position. Dennis Dixion, Mariotta, etc. Hell he had Mariotta and Manziel committed at the same time at one point.

I guess people can knock him for the NFL but he was more successful there than Spurrier and Saban. 10-6 his first two years and both years had a top 5 offense. Then he had a falling out with management year 3 and went 6-9 but one thing that needs to be said is the QB's he coached those three years all had their best seasons ever under him. He didn't have a bad record until he went to SF which was a clear rebuild situation, hell they won like 3 games the year before. I can understand not having him #1 but not wanting him at all? That's insanity.

I have no knock on his NFL tenure.

I guess my main reasoning is Mullen has never been places with a "no show clause" while Chip has. We've ran a damn near perfectly clean program for 27 years and no need to have to work in the gray areas anymore.

Chip has indeed developed the QB's but if he gets credit for Dixon, Mullen gets credit for Tebow? Mullen was on staff when Tebow and Newton were both committed AND signed. Mullen also had Dak...and Fitz seems to be doing pretty well.

No doubt Chip took Oregon to great triumphs but I remember Oregon was rolling pretty well under Mike Bellotti. Mullen took over a struggling MSU.

Then for cherries...Mullen is more familiar with the recruiting of this region while Chip isn't as much. That has to count for something.

I would not be against Chip, I just like Mullen better.

I guess this season is the big test for Mullen. He has a chance to be the #2 team in the SECW. We'll see how he handles it.

My list is something like
Mullen
Fuente
Norvell
Chip

Then let's keep an eye on Scott Frost and a few others.

Reactions: bradleygator
I am perplexed as to why this is still an active subject. Mac is not even close to being on a hot seat, yet there seems to be continuous discussions about possible replacements for him. He is not going anywhere for at least two full seasons('17/'18). If he keeps competing for, and winning, SECe division titles and playing in the SECCG while continuing being awarded raises and contrast extensions then he most certainly is not going anywhere for even longer than these two years. It seems some are waiting for an implosion that is just not happening.
Agree he ain't going anywhere soon, but he's not the answer as head coach either.

1. The next Gator coach will always be a topic of speculation. :rolleyes:

2. Mc ain't going nowhere for the next 2 seasons without a total meltdown or an NCAA investigation happening. o_O

3. None of us posting here will have chit to say in deciding who would be hired if the worst scenario should happen. :cool:

3. None of us posting here will have chit to say in deciding who would be hired if the worst scenario should happen. :cool:

None of us posting here have anything to say about any decisions that impact the Gators program. You probably post the most words here by a factor of 10.

not that impressive imo even on Miss State.

Yup, highest win percentage in conference in modern era for MSU coaches, even though he coaches in the West....most number of bowl appearances...highest bowl winning percentage of any MSU coach. Believe he has the highest winning percentage in Bowls of any SEC coach with more than 5 appearances....Not in the lease bit impressive, comparatively speaking at MSU.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT