ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to UGA...the Truth hurts...

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
sadgator’s quick summary of thoughts...

1. UGA totally deserved to win the game. Even though the score was close, UGA really dominated and controlled the game pretty much the entire way.

2. The “third and Grantham” thing is real. That hasn’t been a prevalent theme this year, but it sure showed up yesterday (at the worst possible time).

3. Speaking of defense...our defense was probably the most overrated in the country based on our performance against Auburn. Other than that game, we honestly have been pretty mediocre all year...and we just CANNOT tackle in the mid-range and CANNOT cover anyone.

4. In two years at Florida, Mullen’s two worst coaching games have been against UGA...and it isn’t even close...we looked totally lost yesterday at times...and it was weird.

5. With three wins in a row, UGA has now completely and totally moved on past Florida’s run in the series before Muschamp...and they are now in complete control of the series...hard to accept...but true.

That being said, and sadgator has said it before, both coaches are good for their respective schools. sadgator wouldn’t trade Mullen for Kirby and would assume that UGA feels vice versa about it.

sadgator won’t wish UGA luck moving forward, because he wouldn’t mean it, but he will acknowledge that UGA is the team to beat in the East until we can prove otherwise.

The worst part about this loss is, that while we lost by more in 2018, we totally dominated UGA in gameplay and in coaching. Not this year. They were playing better than we were literally from start to finish, and I won't say their coaching was any good, but somehow ours just completely collapsed. Just like against LSU, our defense magically was nowhere to be seen. We could not cover anyone all day while their mediocre secondary was draped across every one of our receivers on each and every play like a cape. Mullen should have recognized after the 1st quarter that the refs were not going to throw pass interference on anything and should have adjusted his own defense to start playing like UGA's was. Just tackle the receivers before the ball gets there like they had been doing all game. Instead, i find it hard to remember a single throwing play the whole game where UGLY didn't have one completely wide open passing target. Just blown coverage from start to finish. Last year we had an excuse as we were missing most of our starting secondary for the entire game. Not today. Henderson and Marco Wilson are shadows of the players they were before their injuries. Even with our pass rushers back, we got almost no pressure on Froom the entire game. The one or two plays where we were giving him pressure, he ALWAYS had a completely wide open dump off target.

Nah what bothers me about this game is the fact that we got out played and practically got out coached. That didn't happen in 2018. We didn't give up 3 turnovers inside of our own 20 yard line this year to help hand the game to them. This was start to finish a team that did not execute plays well, and did not defend.

About the only thing we did well from start to finish was stop their running game between the tackles. That's it.

That's why this loss hurts more than 2018 to me. I don't even care that the refs were jobbing us for most of the game. You have to overcome the refs when they aren't giving you the calls you should get. Just like I had no sympathy for South Carolina. We should have adapted to the lack of holding or pass interference and played the same way as they were. That's all on us and our coaches. This one will hurt for recruiting more than anything. I couldn't care less what a fanbase of illiterate uneducated georgia grads has to say as far as smack talk. Never have and never will. This loss resonates because this was the catalyst to breaking through on recruiting, and we failed the test.

The worst part about this loss is, that while we lost by more in 2018, we totally dominated UGA in gameplay and in coaching. Not this year.

This statement has some real validity to it. With all due respect to our UGA “friends,” the UGA fans held on to a mistaken fallacy this past off-season that they “dominated” us in last year’s game. They actually didn’t. We were FAR more competitive in last year’s game until late in the second half when we wore down...

this year, Gator fans will likely hold on the the mistaken belief that we are “closer” to UGA because of the final score...

In reality, UGA dominated us THIS year, not last year...and it is very problematic given how lost we looked on both sides of the ball coming out of the bye week...very surprising....

Offense you feel like it will get there and we will be rolling at some point. Maybe next year. Defense I’m not sure will get there with Grantham. Better players on o line and defense would help a lot.

We simply have to recruit better. Georgia has outrecruited us significantly over the past 4-5 years. I agree with all the details sadgator said above, but for our players to beat their players we have to play an almost perfect game, where GA can beat us when they aren't at their best.

Reactions: sadgator
Our offense made plays in the second half but not enough. We got destroyed on 3rd down.
3rd down was all you needed to look at to know the story of the game. going into the 4th quarter we had all of 3 points, 0 for 6 on 3rd downs, and they were 9 for 12. That tells you the story of the game. We couldn't sustain drives because we could not convert 1st downs, while we couldn't prevent them from doing just that. Sure it sounds simple as what is the solution, but it's clear we were not prepared in the way we were led to believe.

I don't believe it's 100% all on the talent mismatch. Yes they came out and played their best game, but freaking South Carolina could at least cover their receivers. We couldn't even keep a man on each of their receivers. Not on just one or two plays, but EVERY play. Each and every single play they had a receiver break loose completely undefended. Don't tell me that's a talent problem, because South Carolina and Kentucky were both able to do it. The ONLY difference between their games and ours was UGLY had that Cager thing back for our game. This was a problem with planning, execution, and I think just a bit that our players got it into their heads that they were better and were easily going to roll over UGLY. I'm not sure without talking to them. Still haven't even had the heart to watch Dan Mullen's post game.

I watched it. He knows we didn't do well.on 3rd. Our D did a great job against the run but test of everything we all are saying is how it was.

3rd down was all you needed to look at to know the story of the game. going into the 4th quarter we had all of 3 points, 0 for 6 on 3rd downs, and they were 9 for 12. That tells you the story of the game. We couldn't sustain drives because we could not convert 1st downs, while we couldn't prevent them from doing just that. Sure it sounds simple as what is the solution, but it's clear we were not prepared in the way we were led to believe.

I don't believe it's 100% all on the talent mismatch. Yes they came out and played their best game, but freaking South Carolina could at least cover their receivers. We couldn't even keep a man on each of their receivers. Not on just one or two plays, but EVERY play. Each and every single play they had a receiver break loose completely undefended. Don't tell me that's a talent problem, because South Carolina and Kentucky were both able to do it. The ONLY difference between their games and ours was UGLY had that Cager thing back for our game. This was a problem with planning, execution, and I think just a bit that our players got it into their heads that they were better and were easily going to roll over UGLY. I'm not sure without talking to them. Still haven't even had the heart to watch Dan Mullen's post game.
Ehh..it was more game flow than you think. We had only 4 possessions in the entire 1st half...very few in the 3rd quarter...now of course UGA had something to do with that...but it was an odd game from that perspective...Mullen admits the game plan kinda got junked...sometimes it happens...

It only feels like they controlled the game because they held the ball for much of it. For example we had the ball for only around 11 minutes in the first half while UGA had one drive alone that was 7 minutes.

Their top two backs ran for 2.65 yards per carry on the ground, ours ran for 4. The difference is we didn’t even attempt to run as Perine and Pierce had 10 carries combined. We controlled them upfront in the run game they were just stubborn and kept running it. We gave up 2 sacks, both of which were the fault of Trask running backwards and sacking himself otherwise we don’t allow a sack. They didn’t allow one but it’s due to poor tackling more than anything, several times we got back there and didn’t wrap up and let Fromm scramble out.

We held them to their worst rushing performance on the season and their worst in 3 years and held them to their worst offensive output on the season. Literally the entire difference was sorry ass Grantham’s inability to get the defense off the field playing that god awful soft zone. It allowed them to continually convert third downs, possess the ball, and shorten the game. The offense barely had any possessions for long stretches of the game. 12 for damn 18. If we get even so much as 3 more third down stops that game goes to OT at a minimum. The loss is almost entirely on one incompetent coordinator.

Reactions: seffnergator
That’s probably an overreach. It’s actually on players that can’t cover or tackle on third down.
No, this one, just like LSU, is on Grantham. Dawgs have better players, but they also had better players than SC. Champ had a great scheme and we had Grantham.

Reactions: oozie7
That’s probably an overreach. It’s actually on players that can’t cover or tackle on third down.

isnt it odd that Grantham’s defenses can never tackle or cover on 3rd down? We had no issues stopping them the first two downs repeatedly. It’s a problem that trails him at every stop. On third downs he’s completely incompetent. Mullen even stated repeatedly in the PC we couldn’t get off the field and it infected everything else. Like not allowing our offense to possess the ball.

Reactions: PacoGator19
isnt it odd that Grantham’s defenses can never tackle or cover on 3rd down? We had no issues stopping them the first two downs repeatedly. It’s a problem that trails him at every stop. On third downs he’s completely incompetent. Mullen even stated repeatedly in the PC we couldn’t get off the field and it infected everything else. Like not allowing our offense to possess the ball.

When the offense did possess the ball they went 2 for 9 on third down.... also Grantham's fault?;)

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
The worst part about this loss is, that while we lost by more in 2018, we totally dominated UGA in gameplay and in coaching. Not this year. They were playing better than we were literally from start to finish, and I won't say their coaching was any good, but somehow ours just completely collapsed. Just like against LSU, our defense magically was nowhere to be seen. We could not cover anyone all day while their mediocre secondary was draped across every one of our receivers on each and every play like a cape. Mullen should have recognized after the 1st quarter that the refs were not going to throw pass interference on anything and should have adjusted his own defense to start playing like UGA's was. Just tackle the receivers before the ball gets there like they had been doing all game. Instead, i find it hard to remember a single throwing play the whole game where UGLY didn't have one completely wide open passing target. Just blown coverage from start to finish. Last year we had an excuse as we were missing most of our starting secondary for the entire game. Not today. Henderson and Marco Wilson are shadows of the players they were before their injuries. Even with our pass rushers back, we got almost no pressure on Froom the entire game. The one or two plays where we were giving him pressure, he ALWAYS had a completely wide open dump off target.

Nah what bothers me about this game is the fact that we got out played and practically got out coached. That didn't happen in 2018. We didn't give up 3 turnovers inside of our own 20 yard line this year to help hand the game to them. This was start to finish a team that did not execute plays well, and did not defend.

About the only thing we did well from start to finish was stop their running game between the tackles. That's it.

That's why this loss hurts more than 2018 to me. I don't even care that the refs were jobbing us for most of the game. You have to overcome the refs when they aren't giving you the calls you should get. Just like I had no sympathy for South Carolina. We should have adapted to the lack of holding or pass interference and played the same way as they were. That's all on us and our coaches. This one will hurt for recruiting more than anything. I couldn't care less what a fanbase of illiterate uneducated georgia grads has to say as far as smack talk. Never have and never will. This loss resonates because this was the catalyst to breaking through on recruiting, and we failed the test.
Self hatred is an ugly thing.

I was at the game and haven't been able to catch it yet on the TV, but something that completely stood out to me was that there was not 1 single deep post or any throws 10-15 yards to the outside hashmark (maybe 1 or 2, but nothing that quickly comes to mind anyways). We effectively shortened our entire offense to the middle of the field and it was absurdly predictable.

I was at the game and haven't been able to catch it yet on the TV, but something that completely stood out to me was that there was not 1 single deep post or any throws 10-15 yards to the outside hashmark (maybe 1 or 2, but nothing that quickly comes to mind anyways). We effectively shortened our entire offense to the middle of the field and it was absurdly predictable.
Probably because Mullen has no faith in the offensive line. That's why we tried a flat pass instead of a QB sneak or RB dive on 4th and a foot on our 1st drive at the beginning of the game. Mullen had no faith the line could protect Trask long enough to get our receivers downfield for a deep pass. Without an O-line you play choices are limited when play a team with equal or better talent.

Self hatred is an ugly thing.
Oh did I see a lot of ugly this past Saturday in Jax. More than I can ever hope to deal with in a single year.

It always amazes me just how many people will turn out for FREE HIV TESTING IF YOU WEAR A RED SHIRT DAY in Jacksonville every year.

Champ had a single DB who knew how to cover and break on the ball...we did not.

South Carolina statistically has one of the worst pass defenses in the country FYI.

They got to break on the ball because they were actually allowed to man up the receiver instead of covering empty patches of grass the entire game like we did.

South Carolina statistically has one of the worst pass defenses in the country FYI.

They got to break on the ball because they were actually allowed to man up the receiver instead of covering empty patches of grass the entire game like we did.
We are giving way to much space.

sadgator’s quick summary of thoughts...

1. UGA totally deserved to win the game. Even though the score was close, UGA really dominated and controlled the game pretty much the entire way.

2. The “third and Grantham” thing is real. That hasn’t been a prevalent theme this year, but it sure showed up yesterday (at the worst possible time).

3. Speaking of defense...our defense was probably the most overrated in the country based on our performance against Auburn. Other than that game, we honestly have been pretty mediocre all year...and we just CANNOT tackle in the mid-range and CANNOT cover anyone.

4. In two years at Florida, Mullen’s two worst coaching games have been against UGA...and it isn’t even close...we looked totally lost yesterday at times...and it was weird.

5. With three wins in a row, UGA has now completely and totally moved on past Florida’s run in the series before Muschamp...and they are now in complete control of the series...hard to accept...but true.

That being said, and sadgator has said it before, both coaches are good for their respective schools. sadgator wouldn’t trade Mullen for Kirby and would assume that UGA feels vice versa about it.

sadgator won’t wish UGA luck moving forward, because he wouldn’t mean it, but he will acknowledge that UGA is the team to beat in the East until we can prove otherwise.
I’ll be the first to admit that I thought this season was going to go a little bit differently. Mullen has really impressed me. If he can get some better interior linemen y’all are going to be fine. That said, the South Carolina loss may have been what we needed to get rolling in the right direction. We were super motivated for this one. Hope you guys win out and continue representing the east!

The more sadgator reads and thinks about it, the more bothersome the entire coaching and playing performance appears....

it really was the signature wet fart game performance of the Mullen era to date...
Maybe not the best coached game on offense but going into the season most were talking 7-8 wins. We dropped a big one but the sky isn't falling. We're in the middle of a big turn around.

I’ll be the first to admit that I thought this season was going to go a little bit differently. Mullen has really impressed me. If he can get some better interior linemen y’all are going to be fine. That said, the South Carolina loss may have been what we needed to get rolling in the right direction. We were super motivated for this one. Hope you guys win out and continue representing the east!
Class.

Reactions: Jaxbchdawg
Well, that motivation and getting Lawrence Cager back who pretty much singlehandedly beat us. I believe he had only 1 drop the entire game and that was a very off target pass into the endzone that he was diving through the air to grab but was just out of reach. I had worried about him coming back the whole week prior and I was not disappointed. If history needs a name for this game, I would submit that it should go down as the Lawrence Cager Show.

The more sadgator reads and thinks about it, the more bothersome the entire coaching and playing performance appears....

it really was the signature wet fart game performance of the Mullen era to date...
Personally I'm stunned that we are still ranked as highly as we are. For as good as we played and looked in defeat at LSU, we absolutely stunk and looked completely helpless in Jacksonville. I'm very surprised that the voters didn't use that as an excuse to say EXPOSED!!!!!! and drop us into the high teens.

After our performance against georgia, i find it very hard to believe that we are the best 2 loss team in the country. I am not sure we belong ranked ahead of some of these unbeaten teams like Baylor.

Reactions: sadgator

A logical post. Who's posting under your account? lol

Well, that motivation and getting Lawrence Cager back who pretty much singlehandedly beat us. I believe he had only 1 drop the entire game and that was a very off target pass into the endzone that he was diving through the air to grab but was just out of reach. I had worried about him coming back the whole week prior and I was not disappointed. If history needs a name for this game, I would submit that it should go down as the Lawrence Cager Show.
He came to play and has become Jake’s go-to receiver. Not sure where we’d be without Cager, especially after kicking Holloman off the team.

Personally I'm stunned that we are still ranked as highly as we are. For as good as we played and looked in defeat at LSU, we absolutely stunk and looked completely helpless in Jacksonville. I'm very surprised that the voters didn't use that as an excuse to say EXPOSED!!!!!! and drop us into the high teens.

After our performance against georgia, i find it very hard to believe that we are the best 2 loss team in the country. I am not sure we belong ranked ahead of some of these unbeaten teams like Baylor.

Hey jackass, FSU NEEDS FANS!

They had a chance at the end if we didn’t go into slow motion and you are kissing their ass? Another disgrace to the Nation.

Really hate it’s not going well for y’all. I’m sure most of you can spin it. Some of y’all have. Not your smarter fans. They know. I hate we seem to shit the bed in a game we are favored every season....at least it isn’t against y’all

A setback. Not a major collapse.
We have to play better but we are a lot better. Our coaches have brought us back into it. Things are progressing. I hate the loss and we were good enough to win...we're getting better but defensive scheme wasnt good... ther offensive line did a great job pass blocking. We were a little overrated IMO but we are right there. Players are playing hard. If we win out this is a good team. They seem dialed in. Havent seen that in years.

It’s pretty true. We really looked terrible for most of that game. Not sure why we are getting so much love from the poll voters either. Most probably just watch scores and don’t even know the reality of that game.

It’s pretty true. We really looked terrible for most of that game. Not sure why we are getting so much love from the poll voters either. Most probably just watch scores and don’t even know the reality of that game.
Our offense couldn't sustain drives in the 1st half. They played better in the second. 3rd down killed us....their offensive line did a great job giving Fromm all day to throw. Put pressure on the QB and even Brady doesn't play nearly as well. We couldn't do it. I'll say it again, credit to UGA.

It only feels like they controlled the game because they held the ball for much of it. For example we had the ball for only around 11 minutes in the first half while UGA had one drive alone that was 7 minutes.

Their top two backs ran for 2.65 yards per carry on the ground, ours ran for 4. The difference is we didn’t even attempt to run as Perine and Pierce had 10 carries combined. We controlled them upfront in the run game they were just stubborn and kept running it. We gave up 2 sacks, both of which were the fault of Trask running backwards and sacking himself otherwise we don’t allow a sack. They didn’t allow one but it’s due to poor tackling more than anything, several times we got back there and didn’t wrap up and let Fromm scramble out.

We held them to their worst rushing performance on the season and their worst in 3 years and held them to their worst offensive output on the season. Literally the entire difference was sorry ass Grantham’s inability to get the defense off the field playing that god awful soft zone. It allowed them to continually convert third downs, possess the ball, and shorten the game. The offense barely had any possessions for long stretches of the game. 12 for damn 18. If we get even so much as 3 more third down stops that game goes to OT at a minimum. The loss is almost entirely on one incompetent coordinator.

Thank God for Lawrence Cager.....

He has caught 26 of his 30 targets on the season. That is a staggering 86.7%.

Out of those 26 receptions, 20 went for a first down and 4 have produced a touchdown.

26 receptions is a career high. Previous high was 21 in 2018 for Miami.

377 yards receiving is a career high. Previous high was 374 in 2018 for Miami.

Cager has been well worth that scholarship used for this upcoming class.

I think every pass he caught Saturday was for a 1st down or TD except one.

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT