ADVERTISEMENT

Change is coming to the Gator's offense

LizardGrad89

Bull Gator
Nov 12, 2003
Hard not to agree with this article.

What I think might help us early on is that the offense is undergoing a radical change from prior years, to the point that 2020 game tape won't help hardly at all.

We are heading into a new world with Emory. Up until now, we have had to "press Quarterbacks into service", so to speak. But Emory has been GROOMED. While it would be unrealistic to think he won't make the mistakes that new starters usually make, I expect him to have command of the offense from the start: full playbook, all the audibles, the whole thing.

If Dan's as smart as I think he is (which is pretty damn smart, let me tell you), he will come out the first two games and give Bama NOTHING. Super vanilla playbook for FAU and USF, maybe even a lot of pro-style like we had in 2020, then hit Bama with the full spread offense. It's a tall order to win that game, and we will need more help from our defense then I think we will get, but Bama lost all their playmakers same as us, so I expect them to ground and pound. If we can stand up to that, we will have a chance.

Trying to start a conversation, which, honestly, nobody wants you involved in. Nobody.

Wah, wah, wah, snivel, snivel,,, from the little snowflake. Typical. 😏

After 60-70 reads and ZERO replies, you should have gotten the clue that the NOBODY belongs to you, little loopy lizzy.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

PS
But my 'ignored member' would prolly be willing to do a 'hands in each other's pockets' wid you,,,, dumbazz... :cool:

After 60-70 reads and ZERO replies, you should have gotten the clue that the NOBODY belongs to you, little loopy lizzy.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

PS
But my 'ignored member' would prolly be willing to do a 'hands in each other's pockets' wid you,,,, dumbazz... :cool:

after all these years, I'm still taken aback by some of the things you say sometimes.

• Haha
Reactions: TennesseeGator
Change is needed on the defense. Offense was perfect last year minus the rbs. Trask was breaking records against all sec teams. Of course we will have a new qb with a different style. Let’s hope he can read a defense unlike Franks. Don’t need another arm but doesn’t find the open wr.

PS

What part of "nobody" don't you understand? Oh, right. All of it.

Ignoring the PS, because, ew.

Edit: Notice how your entry put this convo off the rails? That's why you are unwelcome in these discussions, as you are unable to actually talk rationally about football, basketball, or anything else. You are a pimple on the ass of progress. Take a hint. Nobody likes you, nobody wants you here, you are a useless and pointless attention whore. Really, do us all a favor and go away. Or DIAF. Whatever.

Last edited:
Liz, I think we have a huge advantage coming into this year. People will have to pull tapes of MSU to see what they might expect from Mullen. I think Jones has better arm strength than Trask, now the question is can he execute in the passing game. Now doubt he is more mobile, and that should open up the running game.

Liz, I think we have a huge advantage coming into this year. People will have to pull tapes of MSU to see what they might expect from Mullen. I think Jones has better arm strength than Trask, now the question is can he execute in the passing game. Now doubt he is more mobile, and that should open up the running game.

I think so too. Not only do teams have to go back to MSU for film, but I feel like Dan had a crash course in how to operate a high octane throwing offense the past couple of years, and most of those elements are going to be finding their way into the permanent playbook, so that even the MSU tape will be dated and fairly obsolete. That will, of course, work for at most a month, then teams will have current tape and so much for that. Just hoping the advantage lasts until Bammer...

One difference we will see (obviously) is that teams will have to respect Jones' feet. Might have to keep a spy in, and can't rush 3 and drop 8. Teams that do that, well, we will just send everybody deep and run Jones, and he'll just run for 10 yards a pop. Easy cheesy.

Hard not to agree with this article.

What I think might help us early on is that the offense is undergoing a radical change from prior years, to the point that 2020 game tape won't help hardly at all.

We are heading into a new world with Emory. Up until now, we have had to "press Quarterbacks into service", so to speak. But Emory has been GROOMED. While it would be unrealistic to think he won't make the mistakes that new starters usually make, I expect him to have command of the offense from the start: full playbook, all the audibles, the whole thing.

If Dan's as smart as I think he is (which is pretty damn smart, let me tell you), he will come out the first two games and give Bama NOTHING. Super vanilla playbook for FAU and USF, maybe even a lot of pro-style like we had in 2020, then hit Bama with the full spread offense. It's a tall order to win that game, and we will need more help from our defense then I think we will get, but Bama lost all their playmakers same as us, so I expect them to ground and pound. If we can stand up to that, we will have a chance.

On paper this is the best case scenario for a QB - at least from my perspective. 4th year Jr., highly rated QB starting a Dan Mullen offense.

I expect big things - hope I'm right!

I think it will be mostly standard Mullen offense when he has the QB that can run it. Probably like said above more like MSU with Prescott. Though if our linemen struggle run blocking some he may go a little more pass heavy than those years. This is the first year Mullen can finally run what he wants to with the QB.

What part of "nobody" don't you understand? Oh, right. All of it.

Ignoring the PS, because, ew.

Edit: Notice how your entry put this convo off the rails? That's why you are unwelcome in these discussions, as you are unable to actually talk rationally about football, basketball, or anything else. You are a pimple on the ass of progress. Take a hint. Nobody likes you, nobody wants you here, you are a useless and pointless attention whore. Really, do us all a favor and go away. Or DIAF. Whatever.

Attempting to bolster his weakazz BS by claiming that NOBODY likes me or my postings. 🤣
FLASH - I'm not here trying to suck-up and win msg-brd friends you twit, I can stand on my own.

Snowflakes & Wus-boyz can never stand on their own.
They instead beg for someone to come and back them up. 🤓

Notice that my posting is the only thing that saved this thread from continuing to be a ZERO response loser thread, but you're to stupid to see the 'favor' that I did for you, or to understand it.... 😏

PS --- Hey little boy snowflake, attempting to tell me what to do here wins you this.... 🤣:p🤣

Reactions: nail1988
We will have to see sir...Jones can sling it but the running game is going to be on point. We have seen broken plays for TD's, unfortunately the defense didn't hold up last year or we would have won it all. We'll see how far he can go. He needs more game experience but I trust Mullen's experience, he's the master of QB's

Attempting to bolster his weakazz BS by claiming that NOBODY likes me or my postings. 🤣
FLASH - I'm not here trying to suck-up and win msg-brd friends you twit, I can stand on my own.

Notice that my posting is the only thing that saved this thread from continuing to be a ZERO response loser thread, but you're to stupid to see the 'favor' that I did for you, or to understand it.... 😏

PS --- Hey little boy snowflake, attempting to tell me what to do here wins you this.... 🤣:p🤣
Not slow flakes, you're probably 65 constantly in conflict with others. You'll never see it. It's just a message board. You're like my ex-wife

I don't agree with 89 all the time but he makes good points. I've never had an argument with him. Maybe I need to listen to him. You're being rude. You won't listen. You just want to tell everyone.

Give us your genius opinion, maybe learn a lesson at your age.

Last edited:
Reactions: DesotoGator

Oh sweetie, you think so much of yourself, and for so little reason. It's sad.

• Wow
Reactions: DesotoGator
Hang on now, I like Insta. He's the only person besides me that believes in Bigfoot.

Careful EW,,, or you'll stigmatize yourself like that.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

As to Bigfoot's possible existence, Jane Goodall looked at the collected evidence and said that it warrants serious scientific study, but then what does she know that many of these twerps don't,,, (cause I mead to know). ;)

Not slow flakes, you're probably 65 constantly in conflict with others. You'll never see it. It's just a message board. You're like my ex-wife

I don't agree with 89 all the time but he makes good points. I've never had an argument with him. Maybe I need to listen to him. You're being rude. You won't listen. You just want to tell everyone.

Give us your genius opinion, maybe learn a lesson at your age.

Dear GN79,
I got your rude swingin' bubba, prolly like your x-wife did when she dumped your dumb-loser azz.
I'm rude and nobody likes me. Now explain the 5,500+ Likes I've received?
Or maybe you can explain how, unlike you, I've been married for,,,, closing in on my Golden Anniversary.

Sadly, you really are this stupid aren't you? (rhetorical cause it's a given) :p

BTW - The last time that this happened was 15 years ago with HoF BillyD's 06 NC team.
UF currently leads the SEC in all 3 categories, without their SEC preseason PoY.
The Gators are #1 in all 3, FG%, 3Pt%, FT%.
More proof that Mike is clueless and needs immediate firing by the RUDE KIA's... 🤣

PS
Maybe firing Todd will also improve the B-Ball teams defense.... :cool:

Liz, so who replaces Toney? I know all the focus is on Pitts, but Toney was huge for us this year...

Lots of questions for sure but there's potential for answers. Some of the RBs might line up in the slot, Lingard with speed and Bowman with everything else.

Some of the TEs this year will do multiple things.

Granted there's a lot of production to replace and many unknowns but I do think there's lots of differing schemes/line ups for the talent we have.

We'll see how those get answered.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Just me, but I'd try Malik Davis in the slot, as he's been the best receiver out of the backfield since Perine departed.

You hear a lot of speculation on that but I think it might be hard for him to beat out the receivers for that starting spot.

Liz, so who replaces Toney? I know all the focus is on Pitts, but Toney was huge for us this year...

That's a very pertinent question. Interestingly, the person on our roster that I think is the most like Toney is going to be starting at QB. So we will have one out there, but he won't be catching many passes.

IMO, Toney was never all that much of a runner. That was what made Percy so special, was that he could line up wide, and you had to respect that, then if the middle was soft, Tebow would motion him over and hand the ball off and he could go the distance, either on the edge or right between the tackles. Toney never was a between the tackles guy, he took everything wide, and never lined up at RB, only running jet sweeps. No, what made him special his senior year was how much he improved as a pure WR threat. Precise routes, sticky hands, great open field running, both in shiftiness and straight-up toughness. Toney reinvented himself his senior year, going from I guy I thought would be undrafted to maybe a first rounder. But that wasn't based so much on versatility as becoming an elite WR.

With the receiving talent we lost, it's just as well we are moving back to the spread. We need the running threat to open up the pass, we don't have those guys who could get open in a crowd, or the guy who could throw a guy open, or heck, LOOK a guy open. Not saying we don't have some solid WR talent returning and coming up, just that the guys we had last year were special.

Last edited:
Dear GN79,
I got your rude swingin' bubba, prolly like your x-wife did when she dumped your dumb-loser azz.
I'm rude and nobody likes me. Now explain the 5,500+ Likes I've received?
Or maybe you can explain how, unlike you, I've been married for,,,, closing in on my Golden Anniversary.

Sadly, you really are this stupid aren't you? (rhetorical cause it's a given) :p

BTW - The last time that this happened was 15 years ago with HoF BillyD's 06 NC team.
UF currently leads the SEC in all 3 categories, without their SEC preseason PoY.
The Gators are #1 in all 3, FG%, 3Pt%, FT%.
More proof that Mike is clueless and needs immediate firing by the RUDE KIA's... 🤣

PS
Maybe firing Todd will also improve the B-Ball teams defense.... :cool:
Maybe check your words "I'm rude and nobody likes me"...yeah the football coach is going to fix the basketball team, that makes sense

On my ex, I'll give you her number you're doing what she does. You're using your relationship to cover things up because you don't know what's going on. I don't listen to her because she's pretty dumb. Oh Insta, always a argument - Paco told us to cut it out

Last edited:
Maybe check your words "I'm rude and nobody likes me"...yeah the football coach is going to fix the basketball team, that makes sense. (sarcasm is beyond you I see)

On my ex, I'll give you her number you're doing what she does. You're using your relationship to cover things up because you don't know what's going on. I don't listen to her because she's pretty dumb. Oh Insta, always a argument - Paco told us to cut it out

:cool: -- 😀😆😂🤣-- 😁 -- FU Twit (sometimes it's rude, but sometimes it's just how it is)
You would make a great astronaut, because I'm pretty sure that you took up time and space in school.
==========

If not Davis in the slot, then maybe Bowman. I just don't see Copeland in the slot, but maybe.
With BillyG in the room, the receivers should not be taking a step back, but that's JMOHO.

Emory has earned the 1st look for sure, but there is no 'tenure clause' in Dan's QB room.
His early 2021 performance will determine how much playing time the other 3 get.
Note -- They say that Emory has a cannon, but Anthony, as an E-11 finalist, wone the distance throw with a 70+ throw.
I think that any of the 4 on roster can make the deep (60+) passes that are only very occasionally needed in games.

:cool: -- 😀😆😂🤣-- 😁 -- FU Twit (sometimes it's rude, but sometimes it's just how it is)
You would make a great astronaut, because I'm pretty sure that you took up time and space in school.
==========

If not Davis in the slot, then maybe Bowman. I just don't see Copeland in the slot, but maybe.
With BillyG in the room, the receivers should not be taking a step back, but that's JMOHO.

Emory has earned the 1st look for sure, but there is no 'tenure clause' in Dan's QB room.
His early 2021 performance will determine how much playing time the other 3 get.
Note -- They say that Emory has a cannon, but Anthony, as an E-11 finalist, wone the distance throw with a 70+ throw.
I think that any of the 4 on roster can make the deep (60+) passes that are only very occasionally needed in games.

Mullen said it was nice the other QBs were getting a lot of reps so they could step up if anything happened with Jones.

Ask Trask about a 'tenure clause' - but luckily we have a very competent starter now.

Reactions: gatordad3
Mullen said it was nice the other QBs were getting a lot of reps so they could step up if anything happened with Jones.

Ask Trask about a 'tenure clause' - but luckily we have a very competent starter now.

I've yet to hear Dan say definitively that Jones will be the for sure starter for 2021.
Most (including me) expect him to be, but that's still to be determined, and it's a long time before Sept rolls around.

As to Trask, I'm nearly the only one on this board that thought that Trask should have been given a shot as the starter when he arrived as a freshman, a rsFr, a rsSo, a rsJr, but they finally got around to it.... ;)

2020 Receivers: (me guessing on positions)
Gotta have someone for the QB's to throw the ball to....

WR-Z - Jacob Copeland 6-0 204 rsJr
Xzavier Henderson 6-3 196 So
Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-3 215 So
Daejon Reynolds 6-2 201 Fr

WR-Y - Justin Shorter 6-5 227 rsJr
Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 212 rsSo
Marcus Burke 6-3 180 Fr - summer

WR-X - Whittemore 6-4 213 rsSo
Rick Wells 6-1 204 rsSr
Jordan Pouncey 6-1 212 rsSr

Tight Ends:
#3H Kemore Gamble 6-4 252 rsSr

#1H Keon Zipperer 6-3 240 Jr
#23YJonathan Odom 6-6 240 rsFr
#3Y Nick Elksnis 6-6 237 Fr - EE
#2Y Gage Wilcox 6-4 228 Fr - summer
Rocco Underwood 6-4 220 Fr (recruited as LS)

The #1 RB receiver out of the backfield is up for grabs, but Davis and Wright have already proven themselves.

2020 Receivers: (me guessing on positions)
Gotta have someone for the QB's to throw the ball to....

WR-Z - Jacob Copeland 6-0 204 rsJr
Xzavier Henderson 6-3 196 So
Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-3 215 So
Daejon Reynolds 6-2 201 Fr

WR-Y - Justin Shorter 6-5 227 rsJr
Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 212 rsSo
Marcus Burke 6-3 180 Fr - summer

WR-X - Whittemore 6-4 213 rsSo
Rick Wells 6-1 204 rsSr
Jordan Pouncey 6-1 212 rsSr

Tight Ends:
#3H Kemore Gamble 6-4 252 rsSr

#1H Keon Zipperer 6-3 240 Jr
#23YJonathan Odom 6-6 240 rsFr
#3Y Nick Elksnis 6-6 237 Fr - EE
#2Y Gage Wilcox 6-4 228 Fr - summer
Rocco Underwood 6-4 220 Fr (recruited as LS)

The #1 RB receiver out of the backfield is up for grabs, but Davis and Wright have already proven themselves.
Insta we have tons of miss matches, that's what Mullen does, you know we talent there

Insta we have tons of miss matches, that's what Mullen does, you know we talent there

True.

And the one's with drops from last season had better spend some extra time on the jugs machine if they want to stay on the field, because that younger talent will be getting their playing snaps if not... 🤓

Reactions: GatorNation79
Another way to look at the Gator running game in 2020:
In Dan's 2020 offense the Gator running game = runs + receptions

Malik Davis - Receiving Leader
Rushing - 320 Yds, 4.7 YPC
Receiving - 377 Yds
Combined - 697 Yds

Dameon Pierce - Rushing Leader
Rushing - 511 Yds, 4.7 YPC
Receiving - 136 Yds
Combined - 647 Yds

Nay'Quan Wright - Most Balance
Rushing - 226 Yds, 3.9 YPC
Receiving - 219 Yds
Combined - 445 Yds

Kadarius Toney
Rushing - 174 Yds, 8.5 YPC
Receiving - 984 Yds
Combined - 1,158 Yds

Long handoffs (passes) accounted for a much better RB game than just the usual hand-offs to the RB's.
1,158 +697 +647 +445 = 2,947 Yds.

Even if you take WR/RB Toney out, UF's top 3 RB's still accounted for 1,789 Yds with a combined 4.4 YPC on their runs, and because none were in there on every play, no major injuries from being worn out.
😎

The run to receptions ratio may change somewhat for 2021, but I'm still expecting to see a similar use of the RB's in 2021, even with the addition of Lingard and Bowman who are both decent receivers coming out of the backfield.

Reactions: rdgtr
The Gator's OL for 2021, iG's best case scenario:

LT Gourage 6-5 315 rsJr (4)
LG White 6-5 346 Jr (3)
OC Equakun 6-4 315 rsSo (3)
RG Reese 6-6 354 Grad (6)
RT Braun 6-6 352 So (2)
-----
TE Gamble 6-4 252 rsSr (5)
=====

IMO, the biggest question for the OL is the center position.
Reese 6-6 354 Grad (6)
McDowell 6-4 303 rsJr (4)
Equakun 6-4 315 rsSo (3)
Leonard 6-2 335 rsFr (OG--OC??) (2)

^ I really miss having an OT/OC Mike Degory 6-6 304 type at center...
A 3-time selection to the Rimington Trophy Watch list (2003, 2004, 2005).
One of 6 Finalists for the Rimington Trophy in 2005.
AP & Coaches 1st Team All SEC - CBS 1st Team AA

Mike Degory (2001-05) was the very definition of consistency having tied the school record for consecutive starts at 50 games. Degory also served two years as a captain joining his name with just four other Gator players to accomplish that respect. ~ He played and started for Spurrier-Zook-Meyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdgtr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT