ADVERTISEMENT

Chances in LSU game?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
With some optimism coming from the @ MSU game I wonder if we can pull off a win here. LSU is a pretty good team but I wonder if we can win this game kind of like that MSU game with it being low scoring. On offense we probably will have to attack a lot differently since LSU's DBs are pretty good at defending the perimeter. Their QB and receivers have started to get on the same page some but on defense stopping their run game will be the key I would think.

Who knows maybe the East is up for grabs as Georgia while really talented does have a lot of sophomores and freshmens playing. They also play @ LSU and have Auburn at home. KY still has @ A&M and @ Missouri besides Georgia.

All I know is LSU is really good on D with Aranda as their DC. It’s likely going to be another low scoring game. It could come down to STs play or some kind of explosive play. We need to continue to find ways to get Toney the ball.

If we beat LSU then I would say we are right back in the thick of things for the East.

Reactions: Gator Fever
From what I've seen of LSU, looks like they have more talent on both lines. I think we play tough but end up getting pushed around a bit too much.

Yep the key battle will be our D line against that O line which seems pretty good. On offense we will have to find a way to be creative again as I doubt we can run it right down their throat.

Mullen will have to draw up some plays that lets Franks get rid of the ball quickly, because Aranda will be bringing the heat all night. Blitz pickup will be crucial as will how effective slants and screens are for Franks and the offense. I suspect Mullen will let Franks take a few shots down the field, esp earlier, to try to slow down the blitz as well.

The longer the game is close, the better it is for Florida. You want the game to be close in the 4th because then you force Orgeron to make some coaching decisions, and that's when LSU is in trouble.

Mullen will have to draw up some plays that lets Franks get rid of the ball quickly, because Aranda will be bringing the heat all night. Blitz pickup will be crucial as will how effective slants and screens are for Franks and the offense. I suspect Mullen will let Franks take a few shots down the field, esp earlier, to try to slow down the blitz as well.

The longer the game is close, the better it is for Florida. You want the game to be close in the 4th because then you force Orgeron to make some coaching decisions, and that's when LSU is in trouble.

Curious to see how this plays out but if LSU is like they were in the past with their DBs they are pretty aggressive on that perimeter stuff. We will have to nail them with more stuff in the middle of the field than we did MSU.

Not sure about Orgeron and the offense this year as it seems he isn't overruling the OC too much. I was surprised how aggressive they were passing the ball in the 4th quarter against Auburn even when it wasn't working that great earlier in the game.

Have no idea how this game will play out. I do know that LSU is much better than people thought before the season started. They are always good in the trenches and with a mature QB they have impressed me so far. I would think we are bigger underdogs than 3 points, but the way Mullen has gotten our guys to get better and better maybe they'll take another giant leap forward this week.

Agreed..we need to get turnovers that turn into TD's and/or make a special teams play block a kick or return a kick.

Here’s something interesting...Mississippi State is top 5 in the country defensively in tackles for loss at 46. Yet our oline kept our backs clean most of the night. Our game plan of spreading them out and using quick hitters kept them from mauling us upfront too.
LSU is a base 3-4 and gets their pass rush from their linebackers more than the dline. But with us running a spread that means they’ll have to walk those linebackers out over on the slot which should give us running lanes or keep them in the box and walk a safety down which should give us 1-on-1 on the outside all game. If we protect at least decently we’ll get some shots downfield. Remember MSU dropped 37 on them last year and Fitgzgerald can’t pass at all, a lot of that was just scheme mismatch. If our defense contains their run we’ll be in it until the end.

Their offense isn’t that good Sad. They tore up Ole Miss but Ole Miss is really, really bad on defense. Of course we could always go back to the shitty tackling on defense but unless they get short fields from turnovers or special teams I don’t see them scoring much.

I would like to see the freshman Pierce in the game early, getting some carries.Maybe it would make a difference in the tempo.

It’s a toss up game in what will be the best the Swamp has been in a decade.

I’m concerned about the corner opposite CJ giving up a big play to #1 Jamar Chase.

The WR screen game won’t be as effective unless they throw it to Toney out there more.

We won’t be able to run on LSU either. We’ll hit a few but expect 3rd and medium-long all day. It will come down to Franks vs Burrow as I think our defense will also stop the run for the most part.

Can Franks win the game throwing past the line of scrimmage? This will be the key.

LSU is vulnerable down the field in 1 on 1 coverage so I expect to test them a few times. We need to hit a deep ball or two. A blocked punt could be the difference. I expect to get a hand on one.

I think Franks > Burrow in Ben Hill Griffin and that will be the difference in another defensive classic. Gators win 20-17

I agree that LSU hasn't had a good offense in years. They do have a QB who is a pretty accurate passer for a change. But their strength is running the ball. Our interior D-line and linebackers will have to be stout. They do have a solid defense and it will be tough for us to score a lot. I think at this point Perine is the most complete back. Scarlett had some nice runs in Starkville, but he's not s reliable receiver and does tend to be tentative on some of his runs. I think long term Pierce will be better than both, but he did knock the ball out of Franks' hands coming out of the backfield and nearly caused a turnover. And according to Mullen he still needs to improve his route running and pass protection. But he's a tenacious runner.

Reactions: Swim Gator
Same. Scarlett tip toes to the line way too much. And he has poor hands so we can’t throw to him. Our best offensive drives were with Perine and Pierce.
Scarlett is the best blitz blocker. He is there to give time to throw. Better at that than the other backs so far. Pierce pounding with fresh legs later in the game was a nice change of pace. Perine is terrific with space and momentum. We are not going to jam it down their throat. Think last weeks game plan with twists.

Their offense isn’t that good Sad. They tore up Ole Miss but Ole Miss is really, really bad on defense. Of course we could always go back to the shitty tackling on defense but unless they get short fields from turnovers or special teams I don’t see them scoring much.
Not to be argumentative, but Burrow was the SEC offensive player of the week...

He seems like the kind of guy that will make us mental....

Just Info: Burrow is 70 for 131 for 1023 yards, 6 TD's 0 interceptions, 8 sacks, with a 134.1 QBR.
Franks is 72 for 126 for 961 yards, 12 TD's 3 interceptions, 6 sacks and a 147.9 QBR.
LSU is 9th in the SEC in total offense, UF is 10th. We're averaging 35.4 ppg, LSU 33.8 ppg. We're averaging 175 rushing yards/game, LSU 192. We're averaging 203 passing yards per game, LSU 204. UF has 15 sacks on the season, LSU 13. We have 4 interceptions, LSU has 7. UF has recovered 10 fumbles, LSU 3. LSU is 1st in the SEC in field goal kicking, UF #2. They've made 10/12 we're 9/10. Their kicker has 4 FG's over 40 yards, 2 of them over 50. We've only made 1 FG 40 yards or more.
Stats show a pretty even game.

Last edited:
Scarlett is the best blitz blocker. He is there to give time to throw. Better at that than the other backs so far. Pierce pounding with fresh legs later in the game was a nice change of pace. Perine is terrific with space and momentum. We are not going to jam it down their throat. Think last weeks game plan with twists.
Yep. Perine & Pierce look to be the best runners at the RB positions but Scarlett has turned into a really good blocker. Give Pierce some more time. He’s going to be a stud.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
With some optimism coming from the @ MSU game I wonder if we can pull off a win here. LSU is a pretty good team but I wonder if we can win this game kind of like that MSU game with it being low scoring. On offense we probably will have to attack a lot differently since LSU's DBs are pretty good at defending the perimeter. Their QB and receivers have started to get on the same page some but on defense stopping their run game will be the key I would think.

Who knows maybe the East is up for grabs as Georgia while really talented does have a lot of sophomores and freshmens playing. They also play @ LSU and have Auburn at home. KY still has @ A&M and @ Missouri besides Georgia.

I say Florida has a 50-50 chance of winning!! o_O

Just Info: Burrow is 70 for 131 for 1023 yards, 6 TD's 0 interceptions, 8 sacks, with a 134.1 QBR.
Franks is 72 for 126 for 961 yards, 12 TD's 3 interceptions, 6 sacks and a 147.9 QBR.
LSU is 9th in the SEC in total offense, UF is 10th. We're averaging 35.4 ppg, LSU 33.8 ppg. We're averaging 175 rushing yards/game, LSU 192. We're averaging 203 passing yards per game, LSU 204. UF has 15 sacks on the season, LSU 13. We have 4 interceptions, LSU has 7. UF has recovered 10 fumbles, LSU 3. LSU is 1st in the SEC in field goal kicking, UF #2. They've made 10/12 we're 9/10. Their kicker has 4 FG's over 40 yards, 2 of them over 50. We've only made 1 FG 40 yards or more.
Amazing how similar they are.

Yep. Perine & Pierce look to be the best runners at the RB positions but Scarlett has turned into a really good blocker. Give Pierce some more time. He’s going to be a stud.

Here is the season breakdown of pressures allowed.
Jordan Scarlett 2, Lamical Perine 2.

The good news is in the sceondary: Stewart and Davis both had great games, and Stiners safety blitz ended the game. Now, if CG-J can learn how to wrap up and tackle like Henderson has...

Here's how the catch rate stacks up for the five top targets: Trevon Grimes (10-12, 83%), Freddie Swain (10-15, 67%), Van Jefferson (12-20, 60%), Tyrie Cleveland (9-18, 50%), Joshua Hammond (5-11, 46%).
And yet, neither Grimes nor Swain are listed as the starters for LSU? Van / Grimes, Hammond / Swain. --- WTF???

Here is the season breakdown of pressures allowed among the chief contributors up front:
Martez Ivey 9, Tyler Jordan 7,
Fred Johnson 4 with 2 FS's, Jawaan Taylor 4, with 1 FS & 1 Hold, Nick Buchanan 4,
Feleipe Franks 2,
~ Credit where due, both Buchanan and Johnson graded out in the 80's on pass blocking.

Which is why I previously said that Stone Forsythe should be at LT with Ivey at LG.
And I wish that Heggie could finally get a go as the center. Still, gotta trust Hevesy.

"Sadly, there are those that can find a problem,,, with any solution." -- Albert Einstein ;)

2 Major Notes:

~ The Gator's didn't have a single 3 and out vs MsSt. That's something that I didn't notice during the game....

~ If you look at total offense Florida ranks just 92nd nationally -- but the offense has been efficient. The Gators are averaging 6.39 yards per play (good for 36th nationally), which is nearly a yard more than in any season under coach Msuchamp or McElwain (5.42, 2011).

But we have the Swamp...

2 Major Notes:

~ The Gator's didn't have a single 3 and out vs MsSt. That's something that I didn't notice during the game....

~ If you look at total offense Florida ranks just 92nd nationally -- but the offense has been efficient. The Gators are averaging 6.39 yards per play (good for 36th nationally), which is nearly a yard more than in any season under coach Msuchamp or McElwain (5.42, 2011).

92nd ranked offense is efficient? :eek: :rolleyes:

13 points off Mutts who gave up 28 to Kantuck? The Lizzerds only TD off a trick play? Efficient?:rolleyes: The mutts don’t drop a easy touchdown you would be screaming about Franks coming home with a loss.

Cookiemonster is a bumbling buffoon but the bayou bungles do lhave a great defense.....they eat up 92nd ranked “ efficient “ offenses :eek::cool: They also have good running attack and a very “ efficient “:D QB

Bungles 38 ;)

Lizzerds 10 o_O

Still haven't given me your in-depth on that Choker vs NR Army game, chicken-chit troll.:cool:
=====

With LSU now 5-0 (so much for Ed Orgeron’s seat warming up…) and Florida (4-1, 2-1 SEC) notching back-to-back SEC road wins, the Tigers and Gators will both enter Saturday’s showdown ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 (LSU No. 5, Florida No. 22).

While the Bayou Bengals have poll superiority, other numbers are suggesting the game could be a close one in The Swamp. Sunday’s offshore betting lines have LSU favored at 2.5 points. The difference in the latest S&P+ projections suggest that LSU is only 0.6 points (15.5 to 14.9) better than Florida on a neutral field.

ESPN’s Football Power Index is taking it a step further. The World Wide Leader’s preferred metric, defined as “measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team’s performance going forward for the rest of the season,” is now projecting Florida to beat LSU. :p

Though the FPI ranks LSU No. 11 and Florida No. 13, it is currently giving the Gators a 58.4 chance of beating the Tigers. We’ll find out Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS.

BTW, how many more weeks is it before you dust-bowl chokers even play a ranked team?

PS

ESPN readily states that FPI predictions that are closely matched (less than 20-30% difference) are pretty much a toss-up and are hard to call.
Dan's #22 Gator's vs #5 LSU is a toss up game. o_O

The good news is in the sceondary: Stewart and Davis both had great games, and Stiners safety blitz ended the game. Now, if CG-J can learn how to wrap up and tackle like Henderson has...

Here's how the catch rate stacks up for the five top targets: Trevon Grimes (10-12, 83%), Freddie Swain (10-15, 67%), Van Jefferson (12-20, 60%), Tyrie Cleveland (9-18, 50%), Joshua Hammond (5-11, 46%).
And yet, neither Grimes nor Swain are listed as the starters for LSU? Van / Grimes, Hammond / Swain. --- WTF???

Here is the season breakdown of pressures allowed among the chief contributors up front:
Martez Ivey 9, Tyler Jordan 7,
Fred Johnson 4 with 2 FS's, Jawaan Taylor 4, with 1 FS & 1 Hold, Nick Buchanan 4,
Feleipe Franks 2,
~ Credit where due, both Buchanan and Johnson graded out in the 80's on pass blocking.

Which is why I previously said that Stone Forsythe should be at LT with Ivey at LG.
And I wish that Heggie could finally get a go as the center. Still, gotta trust Hevesy.

"Sadly, there are those that can find a problem,,, with any solution." -- Albert Einstein ;)

Read nothing beyond the first line.

The good news is in the secondary?

Ah yes...the secondary that is so terribly depleted we're putting receivers out there at times.

Spot on analysis.

UFs yards per play on offense is pretty good. Certainly much better than anything in the last 8 years or so.

Last edited:
Curious to see how this plays out but if LSU is like they were in the past with their DBs they are pretty aggressive on that perimeter stuff. We will have to nail them with more stuff in the middle of the field than we did MSU.

Not sure about Orgeron and the offense this year as it seems he isn't overruling the OC too much. I was surprised how aggressive they were passing the ball in the 4th quarter against Auburn even when it wasn't working that great earlier in the game.
They actually ran the ball 42 times against Auburn but only gained 121 yards. That is 2.9 yards per rushing attempt. The secondary is the weakness of Auburn's defense.

As an Auburn fan, I am still pissed about the referees in that game. I have never seen a visiting team get the benefit of so many close or bad calls as LSU got in that game

Aubutn was called for 4 pass interference penalties in that game. Half the points LSU scored including the game winning field goal was proceded by pass interference penalties against Auburn

Last edited:
Reactions: nail1988
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT