ADVERTISEMENT

Carson Beck Played the Gators & Now there are 8 QBs on Dawg's Roster

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
"...In a new interview with First Coast News in Florida, Beck admits that he named Florida as his leader to try and increase interest from two other schools, one of which was Georgia."

https://thespun.com/sec/georgia-bulldogs/carson-beck-georgia-recruit-florida-leader

Thursday former Southern California quarterback J.T. Daniels announced he will transfer to Athens.

Daniels is the third quarterback to announce his transfer to Georgia over the past seven months, following Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman who announced his pledge in January, and Nevada freshman Austin Kirksey who will walk on after relocating closer to home.

Dawgs now have eight quarterbacks set to be on the roster immediately and into the future,

Smart and his staff add these three transfers - Newman with immediate eligibility for one year and Daniels with three (he has to apply for an eligibility waiver to play in 2020) - coincides with Georgia signing 2020 quarterback Carson Beck, landing a commitment from top 2021 signal-caller Brock Vandagriff, and four quarterbacks with multiple years of eligibility remaining already on the roster.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...s-georgia-bulldogs-quarterback-situation-2020

Georgia’s choice to pursue and take Daniels puts Kirby Smart’s quarterback pipeline strategy in stark contrast to Dan Mullen’s at Florida.

Smart has pursued a strategy of adding the best quarterbacks he can whenever he can. At first glance, that sounds utterly rational. Why would you not try to accumulate the best quarterbacks you can?

The reason, if you’re worried about such things, is it can disrupt the pipeline. Once you start down this path, it can be hard to return to stability.

Transfers (Beck to UCF ?) & decommits on the way in Athens ?

Florida won’t be in that kind of situation because Mullen preaches development. Even as Emory Jones admits he expected to play more early, he also says he’s bought in on Mullen’s development plan. It’s too much to say that Mullen has resurrected the model from three decades ago when programs sought to sit quarterbacks for three years and only start redshirt juniors and seniors (Bobbie Bowden) but he’s been closer to that than what Georgia is doing now with the transfer portal giving and taking away.

Mullen is going for the less risky traditional model where signees understand that they will sit and learn while their elders play. It’s hard to pull off as evidenced by the increasing number of quarterback transfers, but it means there is less drama about the future each year.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...ing-opposite-quarterback-pipeline-strategies/

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but this seemed to work well for them at the time:

Kelly-Kosar-Testaverde-Walsh-Erickson-Torretta.

Only needed to play a year or two, then on to the NFL...

"...In a new interview with First Coast News in Florida, Beck admits that he named Florida as his leader to try and increase interest from two other schools, one of which was Georgia."

https://thespun.com/sec/georgia-bulldogs/carson-beck-georgia-recruit-florida-leader

Thursday former Southern California quarterback J.T. Daniels announced he will transfer to Athens.

Daniels is the third quarterback to announce his transfer to Georgia over the past seven months, following Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman who announced his pledge in January, and Nevada freshman Austin Kirksey who will walk on after relocating closer to home.

Dawgs now have eight quarterbacks set to be on the roster immediately and into the future,

Smart and his staff add these three transfers - Newman with immediate eligibility for one year and Daniels with three (he has to apply for an eligibility waiver to play in 2020) - coincides with Georgia signing 2020 quarterback Carson Beck, landing a commitment from top 2021 signal-caller Brock Vandagriff, and four quarterbacks with multiple years of eligibility remaining already on the roster.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...s-georgia-bulldogs-quarterback-situation-2020

Georgia’s choice to pursue and take Daniels puts Kirby Smart’s quarterback pipeline strategy in stark contrast to Dan Mullen’s at Florida.

Smart has pursued a strategy of adding the best quarterbacks he can whenever he can. At first glance, that sounds utterly rational. Why would you not try to accumulate the best quarterbacks you can?

The reason, if you’re worried about such things, is it can disrupt the pipeline. Once you start down this path, it can be hard to return to stability.

Transfers (Beck to UCF ?) & decommits on the way in Athens ?

Florida won’t be in that kind of situation because Mullen preaches development. Even as Emory Jones admits he expected to play more early, he also says he’s bought in on Mullen’s development plan. It’s too much to say that Mullen has resurrected the model from three decades ago when programs sought to sit quarterbacks for three years and only start redshirt juniors and seniors (Bobbie Bowden) but he’s been closer to that than what Georgia is doing now with the transfer portal giving and taking away.

Mullen is going for the less risky traditional model where signees understand that they will sit and learn while their elders play. It’s hard to pull off as evidenced by the increasing number of quarterback transfers, but it means there is less drama about the future each year.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...ing-opposite-quarterback-pipeline-strategies/

On the one hand, I feel bad for Carson Beck, he's going to get lost on the Georgia roster. He's a Jacksonville kid so I try to root for the local boys (just not for their teams). And I am not worried about him "playing" us, I don't think Mullen was that excited about having him anyway, he doesn't fit the scheme, not being a DT. Besides, it was months before signing day, I only get upset with kids when they tell you they are signing only to flip at the last minute.

Having said all that, Beck is an object lesson for future QB's looking at UGa. There is no loyalty. All they care about is having as many highly ranked recruits as possible. So if you are a QB (or any player, really) thinking you are joining a family, you're not. You are joining a mercenary army. If you are going into it thinking it's likely you will transfer, that's fine. But if you think they are going to train you and take care of you, not so much. Because there is no plan. Georgia just throws everything against the wall to see what sticks. Eight QB's in the room. What a joke.

Compare to Mullen, who has a plan, and he explains his plan so that the kids understand what's going on.

sadgator is confident that once J.T. Daniels gets cleared for 2020, the UGA fans will be crawling all over this board telling us how they knew that Jamie Newman really wasn’t all that good...
Bump!

An 8 QB room = A MASSIVE CLUSTER ;) -- :p -- :D

Beck thought that he was playing UF, when it was actually UGly playing him..
. :oops:

And I wouldn't trade eithr A. Richardson or Del Rio for 'playing with himself' Beck. :cool:

QB-pp Carlos Del Rio 6-3 205 **** - Gator 2021 hard-commit highlights
Since his commitment, Del Rio has stayed firm in his commitment to Florida and has played a significant role in recruiting fellow high school teammate WR Daejon Reynolds and other top prospects to join the ranks of the 2021 class.

Del Rio can do more than just throw the football and I believe the pro-style label is a bit misleading in his case. Adding over 500 yards and 8 TD's on 117 rushing attempts during his junior season, he's proven he has more than the passing element in his game.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/recruit-profile-florida-gators-commit-carlos-del-rio

I don’t think Daniels is a 2020 option. Whether he gets cleared or not, he’s still less than a year away from a knee injury. Newman is 2020, then Daniels competes for the 2021 job. I do kind of think Beck ends up transferring. But that happens quite a bit these days.

I don’t think Daniels is a 2020 option. Whether he gets cleared or not, he’s still less than a year away from a knee injury. Newman is 2020, then Daniels competes for the 2021 job. I do kind of think Beck ends up transferring. But that happens quite a bit these days.

As I said, Beck thought he played UF, while it was UGly that played him.
And if Beck flees the fleas, will he be the next J.Fields? :cool:

The legghumpers will mostly suck at QB for years to come imo.
Any 5-star QB recruits that are dumb enough to take the $$-bag to go there initially, should always keep their bags packed and the portal open.... ;)

Trask rsSr - 5th year
Jones rsSo - 3rd year
Richardson Fr - EE 1st year - Elite 11, Netflix QB-1,
Won the E-11 Distance Throw competition with a 70+ yard throw.

Jones rsJr
Richardson rsFr or So
Del Rio Fr
Kitna Fr

With another coming in 2022. UF is good to go at QB for years to come. :p

Last edited:
Your Oline and QB situation is in trouble but maybe you have a Trask in the corner, we got lucky,

Trask, Jones, Richardson..we're loaded...Jones and Richardson are the highlight of the system but Trask really showed out last year. He's a great player and a good kid. Realy impressed with him...he'll play in the NFL if she stays healthy, great story about hard work and commitment too.

I'm pretty damn confident that 4th and Dumb will choose the 3rd best of the group AT BEST as he did with Captain Mascara and run the other QB's off to programs that will actually compete for national championships. Ohio State will need a new QB in a year or so.

UGA is short at QB and Oline experience. We were short at OLine the last 2 years but I think that we have better coaches and scheme. Every team has some holes (most teams) from year to year. As much as I hate UGA they have a ton of talent, very good coaches and will likely finish in the top 10 again this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT