ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain to me like I am 10 how NIL works?

GatorPhin

Gator Great
Mar 12, 2005
If I am a hotshot recruit, how do I get paid? I assume Napier/UF aren't writing me checks, so who is? Does the school help me line up car dealership commercials or something? Do boosters just agree to cut me checks? Help!

If I am a hotshot recruit, how do I get paid? I assume Napier/UF aren't writing me checks, so who is? Does the school help me line up car dealership commercials or something? Do boosters just agree to cut me checks? Help!
Yeah you’ve pretty much got it. Unaccountable third parties hire the kids essentially for endorsement deals that nobody vets or monitors. Most of these kids are probably signing usury agreements that they’ll be hooked into until they’re 50, and probably 2/3 will never see half the money they were promised but what does the NCAA care? They’ve got an army of six-figure, do-nothing admins that need the ncaa tv revenue to pay the leases on their beemers.

Also the deals are prohibited to be linked to playing for any particular school, so in the NCAA’s world it’s just a happy coincidence that the kids that sign with Miami boosters all end up playing for Miami, etc… etc…

It’s completely absurd and hopefully one day the NCAA gets sued out of existence.

Ok. So how fsu does it is basically go to the player and say, we will give you x amount of dollars for x amount of appearances/retweets/tweets/insta posts etc. Player is advised to get a lawyer and sign a document so they get paid. Surprisingly, we are much further ahead at this then UF.

Ok. So how fsu does it is basically go to the player and say, we will give you x amount of dollars for x amount of appearances/retweets/tweets/insta posts etc. Player is advised to get a lawyer and sign a document so they get paid. Surprisingly, we are much further ahead at this then UF.

You probably are practical wise. We have a bunch of people held up on silly crap. My guess is we don't have it where Napier just calls the big boosters and says we need this bad like happens at other SEC schools.

You probably are practical wise. We have a bunch of people held up on silly crap. My guess is we don't have it where Napier just calls the big boosters and says we need this bad like happens at other SEC schools.

I forgot to add, Norvell can't do this, our collective is run by Ingram Smith, he does a podcast with bud Elliot and knows a ton of people. That's our "battles end" collective, then we have rising spear which focuses on new recruits. Then we have a few big time guys who work with the university to get smaller guys NIL deals. Surprisingly, FSUs NiL is very strong, well, the battles end is, the rising spear part still needs work. The battles end is backed by a few elites.

I forgot to add, Norvell can't do this, our collective is run by Ingram Smith, he does a podcast with bud Elliot and knows a ton of people. That's our "battles end" collective, then we have rising spear which focuses on new recruits. Then we have a few big time guys who work with the university to get smaller guys NIL deals. Surprisingly, FSUs NiL is very strong, well, the battles end is, the rising spear part still needs work. The battles end is backed by a few elites.

I admit with your high school recruiting that how you are focusing the money in the portal is a good approach and should keep you competitive.

Reactions: fsu939913
Seems like schools have a fair amount of leeway to at least introduce kids to what’s available, and that’s maybe where we’re lacking.

Not sure how involved they could get in raising money for a collective or whatever, but seems like they would have to have some room to guide that process also.

Seems like schools have a fair amount of leeway to at least introduce kids to what’s available, and that’s maybe where we’re lacking.

Not sure how involved they could get in raising money for a collective or whatever, but seems like they would have to have some room to guide that process also.

About all our idiots would do is try and scare Napier and the big boosters about the process.

Last edited:
Noles are going hard the portal route, which may be the better long term play. But still need the top 5 recruiting class as most portal guys are not championship difference makers. Again, this may not be true in 2-3 years.

Reactions: PacoGator19
UFs NIL is good but not great. It’s 2nd tier behind the top schools like Bama, UGA, A&M, Miami, LSU UFs NIL is focused more on high school prospects than transfer portal. UFs NIL could be great but there are a lot of big UF boosters that right now just don’t want to get involved.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Noles are going hard the portal route, which may be the better long term play. But still need the top 5 recruiting class as most portal guys are not championship difference makers. Again, this may not be true in 2-3 years.
I don’t know. Looking at the NFL draft historically, there are a fair number of non p5 guys. Assuming those guys now enter the portal instead of staying at their non- p5 schools, you can change your team in the portal.

Championship teams have only had on average around 20 NFL players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT