ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Game Predictions - Gators & Noles ? Bowl Practice Rules

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Florida projected to play top ACC team in bowl game, per The Athletic​

The good thing about the Gator Bowl is its proximity - it might let UF break even or POSSIBLY make a little money.

The best thing is the extra 15 days of practice, which unlike last year won't be wasted. By then we should know if AR is staying or going - in which case we can spend the practice time & the game itself looking for our next QB1.

In one of Dan Mullen's New Year Six Bowl games, I seem to remember some early entry players (Braun & a DB ?) practicing with the team.

Since the game was played Jan 1st, the first day of the Winter term, I think that the E.E. players could have actually played in the game - not sure.

I do know the date of this season's Gator Bowl is

MY SCREW Up - Date is Actually​

Friday, December 30, 2022​

If a certain QB (Rashada) qualified for E.E. is it possible that he & other early entries could enroll in early December

& practice - EDIT - do not think they could play in the Gator Bowl

Wonder what day classes & the new term starts ?

HUMMMM !

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...rojections-the-athletic-north-carolina-gator/

Last edited:
Tebow,

Bowl predictions abound; Outback/Reliaquest Bowl in Tampa so lower travel expenses & more convenient for fans we could at least break even.

It is accurately (oh well) listed as being played on Jan 2, 2023 & unlike the Gator Bowl, early entries could probably play in that game since the UF Spring semester starts on Jan 9th.

Overall it would be a better bowl for us.

Not to disregard Vandy, but I feel confidant about beating them - even in the cold weather.

We just have to Beat FSU & finish 8-4 so we can get into the Reliaquest Bowl !

If we do that could be an amazing opportunity to sort out QB1 if AR leaves for the NFL.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
CBS predicts

UCLA & UF in Las vegas Bowl - so what ?
Tebow,

Bowl prediction like Mock Drafts; anyone can do it & post it on a webpage.

CBS can predict anything they want. If you run a search on 2022 CFB Bowl predictions - you will get 10 or more sets of predictions.

For example - Athlon sports predicts -

Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 17)

Tie-In: Pac-12 vs. SEC

Projection: UCLA vs. Mississippi State

Brett McMurphy predicts-

Las Vegas Bowl

Saturday, Dec. 17

Las Vegas, NV

mis.png

Ole Miss

ore.png

Oregon

BTW, he also thinks Alabama will play Ohio State in the CFP.

CBS is losing the SEC & has nothing to do with PAC12; no clout what-so-ever for the teams selected to Los Vegas Bowl.

Scott Stricklin isn't that stupid. !

Gators Fans are NOT going to travel to the west coast for a 6-6 team that has lost its last two games.

With hotel rooms, travel costs, etc, Gators would lose money to play in a bowl game outside of the state of florida.

Last edited:

Two Big Ten teams named in ESPN's latest bowl game projections​

As all of us know, Bowl game Predictions are like NFL Mock Drafts - something to write about - click bait !

ESPN’s latest bowl projections have the Florida Gators playing two different Big Ten teams in two different bowl games.

Mark Schlabach is projecting the Orange and Blue to play the Illinois Fighting Illini in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl.

Kyle Bonagura has the Gators playing the Iowa Hawkeyes in the ReliaQuest Bowl.

The TransPerfect Music City bowl is currently scheduled to be played on Saturday, Dec. 31 in Nashville, Tennessee, with kickoff scheduled for noon p.m. EST on ABC Sports.

Buy Gators Tickets
Formerly known as the Outback Bowl, the Reliaquest Bowl is currently scheduled to be played on Monday, Jan. 2 in Tampa, Florida, with kickoff set for noon EST on ESPN2.

I favor this bowl (1st mentioned by Tebow Time) for several reasons -

Its played on Jan 2nd - part of the Spring Semester - whether or not they actually get on the field; Early Entry players can be eligable.

Its located in one of our core recruiting areas.

Its accessible to many of our fans from across the state.

Cheap transportation for the team (bus trip) & official party - chartered luxury private jet ? LOL

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/23/florida-football-bowl-projections-espn-week-12/

Last edited:

Mark Schlabach is projecting the Orange and Blue to play the Illinois Fighting Illini in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl…
The TransPerfect Music City bowl is currently scheduled to be played on Saturday, Dec. 31 in Nashville, Tennessee, with kickoff scheduled for noon p.m. EST on ABC Sports.
Honestly can’t imagine having to play another crappy game in Nashville starting at noon this season….

Screw it…let’s go mayo if we have to…

• Haha

Florida projected to play top ACC team in bowl game, per The Athletic​

The good thing about the Gator Bowl is its proximity - it might let UF break even or POSSIBLY make a little money.

The best thing is the extra 15 days of practice, which unlike last year won't be wasted. By then we should know if AR is staying or going - in which case we can spend the practice time & the game itself looking for our next QB1.

In one of Dan Mullen's New Year Six Bowl games, I seem to remember some early entry players (Braun & a DB ?) practicing with the team.

Since the game was played Jan 1st, the first day of the Winter term, I think that the E.E. players could have actually played in the game - not sure.

I do know the date of this season's Gator Bowl is

MY SCREW Up - Date is Actually​

Friday, December 30, 2022​

If a certain QB (Rashada) qualified for E.E. is it possible that he & other early entries could enroll in early December

& practice - EDIT - do not think they could play in the Gator Bowl

Wonder what day classes & the new term starts ?

HUMMMM !

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...rojections-the-athletic-north-carolina-gator/
Bowl games are a shell game with the payouts.

Let's look at the reality of costing.

Each football player will accrue expenses for three things on a bowl trip: travel, lodging, and food. The players share rooms, so if rooms are $200 per day that's $100 per player per day. Let's say food is another $100 per player per day (we will ignore the fact that players would be fed on campus so those expenses for food would lower the net cost per day for food at the bowl game).

So that's $200 per day for room and board. With 120 players/coaches, that's $24,000 per day. Bowl trips are usually 7 days, so that's $168,000. Let's add another $10,000 for the bus there and back (Greyhound sells round trip tickets from Gainesville to Jacksonville for around $100, so surely the school can at least get a little under that amount) and another $2,000 for the equipment to be trucked over. That's $180,000. Add another $20,000 to bring over the cheerleaders and band (plus equipment) on gameday, total expenses $200K. So no matter what, a semi-local bowl game is good for the UF pocketbook, unlike when we fly, which adds a lot to the total expenses.

But here's where it becomes a shell game.

The Gator Bowl and Outback bowl both pay out about 3.25M per team, but UF doesn't get that money. They only get a small portion of it to cover expenses. That way, when we have games with higher expenses, we can moan and complain that we barely get enough money to cover our costs.

But the rest of that money still gets paid out to the SEC, who totals it up and gives it out as equal shares to the schools. So lets pretend UF only gets $200K directly from the bowl, so they can state they "broke even" on the bowl game. But then the SEC pays them another (let's say) 4M in "bowl share distribution", so did they REALLY only break even on the game? I would say, no, they made plenty profit. The reason the SEC does it this way is to incentivize teams to minimize bowl game expenses, which is fine, but it's less fine to pretend that bowl games are a financial burden, when that is clearly not the case.

Florida Gators bowl predictions following the 2022 regular season

which one do you think is better ?

Play a Team We Have a Chance to Beat - Close By !!!

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-2022-bowl-predictions-round-up

Athlon Sports & CBS: Las Vegas Bowl, Florida (6-6) vs. UCLA (9-3), Saturday, December 17, 2022, 7:30 PM ET, ABC

Sports Illustrated: Gasparilla Bowl, Florida vs. SMU (7-5) Friday, December 23, 2022, 6:30 PM ET, ESPN

247Sports & ESPN's Mark Schlabach: Birmingham Bowl, Florida vs. Memphis (6-6) Tuesday, December 27, 2022, TBD, ESPN

USA TODAY Sports’ Erick Smith released his updated bowl projections following the final week of the college football regular season. He projects the Florida Gators will take on the Central Florida Knights (9-3) in the Birmingham Bowl to be played on Tuesday, Dec. 27
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...ions-usa-today-sports-birmingham-ucf-knights/

ESPN's Kyle Bonagura: AutoZone Liberty Bowl, Florida vs. Baylor (6-6) Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 5:30 PM ET, ESPN

Yahoo/College Football News: TaxSlayer Gator Bowl, Florida vs. Notre Dame (8-4) Friday, December 30, 2022, 3:30 PM ET, ESPN

Action Network: & Bleacher Reports - ReliaQuest Bowl, Florida vs. Iowa (7-5) Monday, January 2, 2023, 12 PM ET, ESPN2

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
Florida Gators bowl predictions following the 2022 regular season

which one do you think is better ?

Play a Team We Have a Chance to Beat - Close By !!!

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-2022-bowl-predictions-round-up

Athlon Sports & CBS: Las Vegas Bowl, Florida (6-6) vs. UCLA (9-3), Saturday, December 17, 2022, 7:30 PM ET, ABC

Sports Illustrated: Gasparilla Bowl, Florida vs. SMU (7-5) Friday, December 23, 2022, 6:30 PM ET, ESPN

247Sports & ESPN's Mark Schlabach: Birmingham Bowl, Florida vs. Memphis (6-6) Tuesday, December 27, 2022, TBD, ESPN

USA TODAY Sports’ Erick Smith released his updated bowl projections following the final week of the college football regular season. He projects the Florida Gators will take on the Central Florida Knights (9-3) in the Birmingham Bowl to be played on Tuesday, Dec. 27
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...ions-usa-today-sports-birmingham-ucf-knights/

ESPN's Kyle Bonagura: AutoZone Liberty Bowl, Florida vs. Baylor (6-6) Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 5:30 PM ET, ESPN

Yahoo/College Football News: TaxSlayer Gator Bowl, Florida vs. Notre Dame (8-4) Friday, December 30, 2022, 3:30 PM ET, ESPN

Action Network: & Bleacher Reports - ReliaQuest Bowl, Florida vs. Iowa (7-5) Monday, January 2, 2023, 12 PM ET, ESPN2

Iowa feels like the most boring match-up possible. We played them 5 years ago. On the flip hand, I do enjoy having their fans dread possibly losing to UF again. Even back then, right before the game, they were not looking forward to playing UF.

Illinois? also boring
UCLA? almost a garunteed loss

UCF? Dont want to give them a chance to make a ring.

SMU? Lose-lose situation

Baylor could be fun and is the only one I could look forward to seeing AND having a chance against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Another reason to avoid the Las Vegas Bowl

Had some memory of this, but could not have written it out correctly.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-football-mailbag-nov-29th-edition/

"... There’s not a set number of practices for Bowl games, but they do have to follow the standard NCAA guidelines, which is four hours a day and 20 hours a week. Florida likely won’t practice 14 times if the Gators play on December 17th."

Last edited:
FSU9399

any idea which Bowl your Noles are going to

Only prediction I saw was Duke Mayo Bowl & Citrus Bowl.

I hope Gators are smart enough to avoid Las Vegas & UCLA

Most of the predictions I've seen for FSU are Cheez-it Bowl in Orlando or the Dukes Mayo Bowl; a few have mentioned possibly the gator bowl or the Holiday Bowl in San Diego against Oregon.

A lot better than catching UCLA I think.
Fever or Paco

Hoping one of you will know -

Did we only have one (1) bowl invitation ?

If we had more than one -

1. what was the other choice(s)

2. what MORAN (IQ between 51 and 70) actually got to pick which bowl bid we accepted ?

Playing Oregon State (9-3) in the Las Vegas Bowl on Dec 17 doesn't make good sense.

Did the SEC agree to provide a sacrificial lamb to the PAC12 because USCw screwed up against Utah & they haven't gotten a team into the CFP in years ?

Did it fall on us since we are actually the PAC12 Champions ?

With all the outbound transfers & players sitting out, we might not have enough players to field a team & actually play the game.

if so could we have our bowl practice sessions, tell the L V Bowl to screw themselves, stay home in G'ville, & get ready for Spring Practice ?

Under COVID-19 rules we could reschedule the game, but doubt that this is an allowable option for the Las Vegas Bowl.

Napier may be “blameless and upright", but he must be feeling like Job in the Old Testament.

Billy will have to "Work a Miracle" - just to keep it close.

Last edited:
Fever or Paco

Hoping one of you will know -

Did we only have one (1) bowl invitation ?

If we had more than one -

1. what was the other choice(s)

2. what MORAN (IQ between 51 and 70) actually got to pick which bowl bid we accepted ?

Playing Oregon State (9-3) in the Las Vegas Bowl on Dec 17 doesn't make good sense.

Did the SEC agree to provide a sacrificial lamb to the PAC12 because USCw screwed up against Utah & they haven't gotten a team into the CFP in years ?

Did it fall on us since we are actually the PAC12 Champions ?

With all the outbound transfers & players sitting out, we might not have enough players to field a team & actually play the game.

if so could we have our bowl practice sessions, tell the L V Bowl to screw themselves, stay home in G'ville, & get ready for Spring Practice ?

Under COVID-19 rules we could reschedule the game, but doubt that this is an allowable option for the Las Vegas Bowl.

Napier may be “blameless and upright", but he must be feeling like Job in the Old Testament.

Billy will have to "Work a Miracle" - just to keep it close.

Not sure but my guess is the SEC dictates a lot of that.

We may find out what Miller Time is all about or see if Max Brown has moved ahead of the walk-on. Haven't watched what the Beavers run to know if our defense will be in really big trouble.

Not sure but my guess is the SEC dictates a lot of that.

We may find out what Miller Time is all about or see if Max Brown has moved ahead of the walk-on. Haven't watched what the Beavers run to know if our defense will be in really big trouble.
Fever,

From your post, I assume you feel that AR is out the door ?

Since we will need both a starter & a backup, guess we will find out if Brown & Miller are the real deal !

With Ventrel Miller & others sitting out; Our Defense would be in trouble against a HS team.

Reactions: Gator Fever
We may be in trouble then.
Fever,

Sounds like it -

2022 Oregon state - very balanced offensive numbers
passing - 200.4 yds/game-1.3 TDs/game
Rushing- 199.2 yds/game-2.8 TDs/game

points for 389...points against 257...10 FGs...45 PAT..52 TD...1 safety
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oregon-state/2022-schedule.html

With Ventrel Miller & others sitting out; Our Defense would be in trouble against a HS team.

With AR sitting out / gone to NFL - no QB1 or QB2 - our offense may not exist

Good thing Billy has a sense of humor & loves a Challenge !

If Miller, Brown, or Engle don't work out, Didn't Gervon Dexter play Wildcat QB in HS ?

Is it just me or has Insta fallen off the Max Brown Bandwagon ?

Realistically all three QBs will get serious looks & who knows - the next Throwin Mayoan may appear.

Kerwin Bell, a walk on, was ranked 8th on the depth chart in 1984 before jumping to the top as a redshirt freshman. From there on Kerwin never looked back.
Receiving a scholarship in the process, Bell led the Gators to consecutive 9-1-1 seasons while earning himself SEC player of the Year in 1984 and a spot on the first team All SEC team in 1985.

Bell went on to have a long 14 year career in the professionals.

Billy will find someone to hand the ball off & we will run it down their throats !

Gervon Dexter at Wildcat QB & Desmond Watson at TB -
Wow Hoo - look out Beavers !

Good test for OL.

Last edited:
Reactions: TEBOW TIME
ADVERTISEMENT