Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
How stupid !

Gator colors are Orange & Blue.

Don't see a need for this !

Article by Demetrius Harvey
https://www.si.com/college/florida/author/demetrius-harvey

Napier says that while he doesn't think Jordan Brand will be able to fulfill that wish this year, the uniform kit certainly is anticipated for '23.

EDIT
Thought we had worn partial black uniforms before with disastrous on the field results.

Football game has 60 minutes of playing time; the emotional burst some players may derive from wearing black uniforms wears off quickly & does nothing to win the game.

Napier's thoughts about selling the uniforms off & donating the money may be worthwhile. But too much of that & you may lose your uniform sponsor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinny B
It has to be better than that Gator scale uni or that horrible orange sleeve thing we wore during the meyer era. I’m okay with it.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
How stupid !

Napier says that while he doesn't think Jordan Brand will be able to fulfill that wish this year, the uniform kit certainly is anticipated for '23.

EDIT
Thought we had worn partial black uniforms before with disastrous on the field results.

Football game has 60 minutes of playing time; the emotional burst some players may derive from wearing black uniforms wears off quickly & does nothing to win the game.

Napier's thoughts about selling the uniforms off & donating the money may be worthwhile. But too much of that & you may lose your uniform sponsor.

It's about recruiting and has no effect with on field results. 18 yr old kids love new things

It’s all about recruiting. I’m a little old school and prefer to just wear our traditional stuff but again this is all about recruiting and appealing to kids.

How stupid !

EDIT

I can't really see where the Gators care if Jeff from Jax is on board with this. I personally am all in, and I'm an old fart. The kids love it. It will look cool.
My only issue is what color helmet would they wear to look best? White script?

I dont mind stuff like this done every once in a while......just as long as its done well. I still remember those awful grey Nike uniforms that looked more suited for paintball. I do like designs like these....https://www.basellers.com/?product_id=14654876_15

Last edited:
FSU,

You are probably right; but I've never seen Saban & Bama use something like this to attract 18 yr old kids !

Of course, they are Bama & actually win a lot of games - without the benefit of "totally cool all black unis."

I think Bama doesn't have to right? They have other things to point too. We have done "black outs" before at Doak when jimbo was there. We have "white out" jerseys that recruits take pics in when they visit. I understand wanting to keep it traditional but at the same time I see the value in alt jerseys. Do I think that gains a recruit or loses a recruit? No but I do think recruits will think it's cool and another notch on the belt.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
I know the younger generation loves it. I am not part of that generation, I prefer my team wear traditional colors.

The worst for me was when we did the black uniforms against Boston College. I always have trouble remembering which team is us when we play them, due to the color similarity. It was awful the blackout day, with the opponent wearing our colors and us wearing someone else's.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I know the younger generation loves it. I am not part of that generation, I prefer my team wear traditional colors.

The worst for me was when we did the black uniforms against Boston College. I always have trouble remembering which team is us when we play them, due to the color similarity. It was awful the blackout day, with the opponent wearing our colors and us wearing someone else's.

I was at the game, knew we were in black but was drinking and cheered when BC got a first down... whole section turns to me like "wtf are you doing" lol I like new unis, maybe where them in a spring game or something? Or lower tier game? I understand the appeal to the high schoolers tho

Billy Napier confirms when — and why — Gators will wear black uniforms​

Napier confirmed the Gators won’t have black uniforms this fall but will start wearing them next year.

“We will do it in the 2023 season,” he said. “This will be become a little bit of a tradition. We’ll do it one time a year. It will be the next to last home game and it will always be around Veterans Day, that part of the year, for military appreciation.”

“We’re going to use it as a deliberate opportunity to educate the players and really make a big deal about our branches of military, first responders even,” he (Napier) said.

“We’re going to take these black jerseys every year and we’re going to auction some of them off,” he said. “We’re going to take the money and we’re going to give it families of people in the military that were wounded or maybe had some type of setback.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...when-and-why-gators-will-wear-black-uniforms/

Black and White are both boring... 🙄

Want a real shocker uni, then come out in all 'BRIGHT' chartreuse, with the alligator skin pattern on it...
😲

th

Just trying to be helpful with the 'talking-season' suggestions.... 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT