ADVERTISEMENT

Big questions for 2018 season!!

Daviscraine

Baby Gator
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2018
Franks or Trask? Or does Emory get time?

Scarlett is the starting RB no doubt, but does Perine have serious competition from pierce?

Van Jeff, Grimes, Cleavland, Toney......who has the monster season?

Marco and C.J. best CB duo in the country?

Lastly how will Chauncey do at safety?

Trask starts, Emory redshirts
Pierce supplants Perine mid-season as #2. Malik Davis out till mid season
Jefferson all-SEC, Cleveland / Grimmes solid contributors. Toney ok
Henderson and Wilson both all star season for Chauncey because Henderson and Wilson can lock down their corners

Reactions: Daviscraine
If that OSU QB transfers after the OSU spring game I think Mullen will take him if he will come here due to coming from similar systems and i would lean to him beating out Franks for the starting QB spot.

Not sure on Grimes but Jefferson will have a big year I think. A lot of Grimes big plays are coming against guys like Dean I guess people are claiming.

If that OSU QB transfers after the OSU spring game I think Mullen will take him if he will come here due to coming from similar systems and i would lean to him beating out Franks for the starting QB spot.

Not sure on Grimes but Jefferson will have a big year I think. A lot of Grimes big plays are coming against guys like Dean I guess people are claiming.
What do you mean guys like dean?? Just young guys, or are you not a fan of dean?

I can wait on a QB guess until at least this Saturday, and even then.... :cool:

There is no longer a 'nickle' position in the Gator D, it's called the 'star' position, and they have a proven STAR playing there now.

Calling Scarlett the starter is at the very least, premature... o_O

Van and Grimes have yet to even be cleared by the NCAA.
Cleveland is my guess, but that's all it is at this point.
Toney at slot-WR, jet-sweeps, and maybe as a punt returner.

Marco and C.J. were both Freshman All SEC, and they are both getting better day by day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daviscraine
And at another position with a new starter,,, the punter. o_O

P Tommy Townsend 6-1 175 -- "I feel I'm pretty consistent so far through spring ball," he said. "I think I'm averaging 44.8 yards a punt. It's OK. It's not where I want it to be. I'd like to improve on my consistency and get the average up to 46 or 47." (he is also doing the KO's this Spring)

http://floridagators.com/news/2018/4/13/football-familiar-name-similar-game-different-townsend.aspx

Note from iG to new starting punter Tommy Townsend:

Instead of adding 1-2 yards to your already very good 'distance' average, concentrate on your 'directional control' punting, i.e. putting the ball where you and/or the coaches want it to go. Also, keep in mind that the 'hang-time' is more important to the opponents return game than the slight difference of 1-2 yards in your 'gross' Ave/Yds per punt, because that will affect your 'net' punting yards. Do they return your punts or do they have to just 'fair catch' them..... And one last item to consider. You are going to likely be the LAST MAN TO BEAT if a return man gets going on a return, so knowing how to cover and tackle in the open field is a big deal. :cool:
Punting is a whole lot more than just your > Gross Average Yards per Punt....
That whole punting gig is more important than you being the 'Kick-Off' man!
-----
Something else to keep in mind. The incoming (Summer) #1 HS kicker might just decide to go after YOUR punting job, if you're going after his FG/KO job, and he had an 84 yard punt to go along with his 62 yard FG in HS...
Evan McPherson 6-0 165 - Fort Payne, AL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfMfR6vw6Q

His 70 yard practice FG is here:

Kohl's Professional Kicking Camp - #1 Kicker***** and #5 Punter*****
KOHL'S COMMENTS
McPherson was dominant at his last five Kohl's ranking camps with the latest being the 2017 National Scholarship Camp. No one in the country has made more FG during that span than McPherson. He has been a perfect 20-20 on charted FG at the last two Showcase camps along with a camp leading 17 FG makes at the UC Challenge and 27 and 26 points at the last two National Scholarship Camps. His confidence in his ability to hit clean field goals is impressive. His ball striking is repeatable, it explodes off his foot and his ability to call on his "A" ball is D1 ready right now. He has one of the premier kickoff legs in the 2018 class. He showed that by winning the kickoff competition at the 2017 Underclassman Challenge. He is currently ahead of the entire 2018 field in his ability to lock in and hit the same ball rep after rep. He is a high level punter, but his greatest strength is as the nation's best FG kicker. McPherson has continued to prove throughout his career that he can make field goals. He has been the most highly sought after recruit in the 2018 class and earned an invite to the Under Armour All-American Game!

Johnny was smart enough to leave the place kicking to Eddy...;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT