ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

Gators played probably their most complete game of the year tonight in beating Oregon State. Shot 56% from the field, 42% from 3's, 15 assists to 9 turnovers. Trey Bonham turning out to be a real stud for us, Richard and Lofton steady. I see this team getting better as the season progresses.

Gators played probably their most complete game of the year tonight in beating Oregon State. Shot 56% from the field, 42% from 3's, 15 assists to 9 turnovers. Trey Bonham turning out to be a real stud for us, Richard and Lofton steady. I see this team getting better as the season progresses.
Our offense is good and we have an offensive system and we can score points admittedly without any real spot up shooter either. We will go as far as the defense takes us or if and how much it can improve.

So far this year our offense is greatly improved. But the D has been a head scratcher. Hopefully we can get better. Golden has been tinkering with the rotations.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Gator Men next play 5-1 West Virginia in Portland Sunday night at 8:30 on ESPNU. Another early test for the Golden Boys.
Meanwhile, the 5-1 UF Women's team meets 1-4 Houston in St. Pete at noon today. The game is only televised on FLOSports, whatever that is.

Gator Men next play 5-1 West Virginia in Portland Sunday night at 8:30 on ESPNU. Another early test for the Golden Boys.
Meanwhile, the 5-1 UF Women's team meets 1-4 Houston in St. Pete at noon today. The game is only televised on FLOSports, whatever that is.
I like the men getting some early season competition.

Reactions: gatordad3
UF women's BB goes to 6-1 with a 77-73 OT win over Houston. While this Gator team isn't great and did lose their top returning scorer, Zippy Broughton, to a season-ending injury just before the season started, our coach has them playing hard every game and they are now a competitive team. Having spent so many years as the worst program in the UF Athletics Dept., it's nice to see Women's BB rising to a level of respectability. Next up is Prairie View A&M at home Wednesday at 5:30, the early game of a doubleheader with Men's BB, who plays Florida A&M at 8 pm.

Last edited:
West Virginia blowing us out of the gym tonight. Castleton and Jit combined for 7 fouls in the first half...they can't miss and we can't stop fouling. Golden has his work cut out for him to get these guys into ncaa tourney team. Right now they look awful. Don't want to make too much out of 1 game, but 7 games in feels like we are most likely a .500 team.

• Sad
Reactions: Gator Fever
Damn. The team has completely quit. WVU scored 20 points in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. Wide open looks. Back to the drawing board....

West Virginia blowing us out of the gym tonight. Castleton and Jit combined for 7 fouls in the first half...they can't miss and we can't stop fouling. Golden has his work cut out for him to get these guys into ncaa tourney team. Right now they look awful. Don't want to make too much out of 1 game, but 7 games in feels like we are most likely a .500 team.
The team is terrible on defense. The roster is made up of a bunch of rag tag transfers because Mike White left a bunch of nothing. Going to be a long season.

That was a pathetic performance vs. West Virginia. Reeves didn't play at all and I'm pretty sure he's the highest rated player on the team with tons of skills. A Rivals 5 star recruit. Something is starting to seem off to me about what's going on. This team does have a mish-mash of talent, but we should be at least as good as last year and it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. This time last year we were 6-1 with wins over a ranked FSU team, Ohio State and Dal, with our lone loss being toi a good Oklahoma team. Starting to get disappointed.

That was a pathetic performance vs. West Virginia. Reeves didn't play at all and I'm pretty sure he's the highest rated player on the team with tons of skills. A Rivals 5 star recruit. Something is starting to seem off to me about what's going on. This team does have a mish-mash of talent, but we should be at least as good as last year and it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. This time last year we were 6-1 with wins over a ranked FSU team, Ohio State and Dal, with our lone loss being toi a good Oklahoma team. Starting to get disappointed.
Last years team wasn’t very good either or the year before that or the year before that or the year before that. I have no idea if Golden is the answer or not but he has to do basically what Napier is having to do. Rebuild the entire program and the culture that was left behind by the previous coach. Just like football the previous coach really didn’t leave behindmuch talent for the next coach. Golden had to build just about the entire team through the transfer portal because Mike White was awful at roster management. I would assume it is going to take time for the team to gel. Offensively we have been good minus the West Virginia game and we actually have an offensive system now but defense has been absolutely atrocious. I’m not quite sure what Golden’s defensive philosophy is other than I know he’s a man to man type of guy but he ought to start figuring out how to cover the perimeter better. We have to be one of the worst in the country in 3 point defense. Neither Billy Donovan or Mike White had very good first years at UF. Billy D obviously turned out to be very good and Mike White completely tore down what Billy D built. The issue with Golden and this roster is we aren’t a very athletic team at all and we have too many players that have similar skill sets and not enough versatility in the roster. We have a whole bunch of wings and really no true PG or SG and again we just aren’t very quick. As for Reeves he hasn’t played at all much lately and is in the doghouse. Nobody knows why but just rumors of a bad attitude and something happened.

Last edited:
I’m addition to the above IMO we waited a year or two too long to get rid of Mike White. There were other coaching candidates available earlier and keeping White an extra year or two just hurt the program even more. And heck even in that we didn’t fire White. Luckily enough UGA was dumb enough to take him off our hands for us.

I believe Mike White had a good culture, and he did bring in some decent talent, he was a lousy X an Os guy which is why we could not get out of the middle of the sec. Golden had to rely on the portal and as we know you never know how these portal kids will work out. 4-3 after first 7 games isn't great, but lots of hoops left. See how they are playing in February/March.

UF vs WVa Analytics???
Richard’s early 3-pointer was the team’s lone made 3 pointer made in the first half.
They made just 4 of their first 13 FG's (31%).

From the stat sheet. -- Florida finished the game just 20-of-58 (34.5%) from the field, including an abysmal 2-of-16 (12.5%) mark from 3. It was also out-rebounded 49-28, though the early foul trouble for Castleton and Jitoboh (officials) almost certainly impact those number greatly. -- Well duh!

4-3 UF was favored by 1.5 Pts, but lost by 29 Pts.
Coaches and players were great, but the game officials were even better.....
Game officials have made games (like this one) unwatchable for me, I turned it off before the half.

Losing is one thing, but being hosed yet again by the officials is killing my interest in the game.

Last edited:
UF vs WVa Analytics???
Richard’s early 3-pointer was the team’s lone made 3 pointer made in the first half.
They made just 4 of their first 13 FG's (31%).

From the stat sheet. -- Florida finished the game just 20-of-58 (34.5%) from the field, including an abysmal 2-of-16 (12.5%) mark from 3. It was also out-rebounded 49-28, though the early foul trouble for Castleton and Jitoboh (officials) almost certainly impact those number greatly. -- Well dud!

4-3 UF was favored by 1.5 Pts, but lost by 29 Pts.
Coaches and players were great, but the game officials were even better.....
Game officials have made games (like this one) unwatchable for me, I turned it off before the half.

Losing is one thing, but being hosed yet again by the officials is killing my interest in the game.
I hate using the ref excuse, but in the first half we were whistled for I believe 15 fouls and WVU 4. No question that CC and Jit each having 3 fouls in the first half impacted the game. CC picked up his 2nd foul about 5 or so min in.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I hate using the ref excuse, but in the first half we were whistled for I believe 15 fouls and WVU 4. No question that CC and Jit each having 3 fouls in the first half impacted the game. CC picked up his 2nd foul about 5 or so min in.
Golden not playing our best all around athlete and best outside shooter, Kowacie Reeves, to me is plain stupid. He said when hired that his first priority was getting Reeves to stay and now he's benched him!!!

Golden not playing our best all around athlete and best outside shooter, Kowacie Reeves, to me is plain stupid. He said when hired that his first priority was getting Reeves to stay and now he's benched him!!!
Seems odd...guy single handedly brought us back against FAU, so no clue what's happened there.

Not only that but Castleton and Jitoboh we’re being mugged under the goal on the offensive end.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Though the 1st 7 games, Florida ranks 326th in the nation in FG% allowed in transition at 61.1%, according to hoop-math.com. Its 3 losses can be equated to the relative disorganization on that end. (but better in half court sets at 45.1%)

They are giving up an average of 72.6 Pts/Gm... (not good enough)
-----

Best 2-way player on the team so far in the iG's opinion:
Beginning with @ FSU in 20 Min: 11 Pts, 7 Rbs, 3 Ast, 1 Blk, 1 Stl....
CG Trey Bonham 6-0 170 Jr - He's also the smallest guy on the team.

If you remove everybody's all-around crap game against WVa from his resume, the numbers equate to 21 points and 2.5 assists on 53% shooting from the floor while scoring from all 3 levels, and he can make his lay-ups, unlike the rest of the team, and Trey can make his, even against the bigs.

IF SG/SF Reeves Jr wants his share of the court minutes, then he's going to need to work harder to improve his overall play and earn them....

Golden said Reeves not playing was on him for failing in the rotations, not on Reeves, and said there is no discipline issue with Reeves.

The iG's Depth Chart: Bonham - Richard - Reeves - Kugel
IMO, Reeves consistency in every phase, not a couple of 'highlight reel' plays, is what matters.

Note: Golden needs to find a way to adjust the offense for Castleton when the other team is double and triple covering him. During the 3 games in Portland, Castleton averaged 8.6 points on 39.7% from the floor. Vs WVa, 3 Pts, 4 PF's.

Golden also needs to have the team spend more time practicing their freakin' lay-ups... (they aren't getting blocked, they're just missing the bucket)
==========

Todd and his staff need to do their analytics on whichever group of officials are going to be calling each game.
1. Do they call fouls loose or tight?
2. Do they make calls evenly against both teams?
3. How biased are they against the Gators?

Because the Gators almost always face 2 opponents in their games, the opposing team's players and coaches, and the sorry game officials.....

Last edited:
Though the 1st 7 games, Florida ranks 326th in the nation in FG% allowed in transition at 61.1%, according to hoop-math.com. Its 3 losses can be equated to the relative disorganization on that end. (but better in half court sets at 45.1%)

They are giving up an average of 72.6 Pts/Gm... (not good enough)
-----

Best 2-way player on the team so far in the iG's opinion:
Beginning with @ FSU in 20 Min: 11 Pts, 7 Rbs, 3 Ast, 1 Blk, 1 Stl....
CG Trey Bonham 6-0 170 Jr - He's also the smallest guy on the team.

If you remove everybody's all-around crap game against WVU from his resume, the numbers equate to 21 points and 2.5 assists on 53% shooting from the floor while scoring from all 3 levels, and he can make his lay-ups, and unlike the rest of the team, Trey can make his, even against the bigs.

IF SG/SF Reeves Jr wants his share of the court minutes, then he's going to need to work harder to improve his overall play and earn them....

Golden said Reeves not playing was on him for failing in the rotations, not on Reeves, and said there is no discipline issue with Reeves.

The iG's Depth Chart: Bonham - Richard - Reeves - Kugel
IMO, Reeves consistency in every phase, not a couple of 'highlight reel' plays, is what matters.

Note: Golden needs to find a way to adjust the offense for Castleton when the other team is double and triple covering him. During the 3 games in Portland, Castleton averaged 8.6 points on 39.7% from the floor. Vs WVa, 3 Pts, 4 PF's.

Golden also needs to have the team spend more time practicing their freakin' lay-ups... (they aren't getting blocked, they're just missing the bucket)
==========

Todd and his staff need to do their analytics on whichever group of officials are going to be calling each game.
1. Do they call fouls loose or tight?
2. Do they make calls evenly against both teams?
3. How biased are they against the Gators?

Because the Gators almost always face 2 opponents in their games, the opposing team's players and coaches, and the sorry game officials.....
Have you ever stopped to wonder why every referee everywhere is against the Gators in every sport?

Have you ever stopped to wonder why every referee everywhere is against the Gators in every sport?
SEC Home Office is in Alabama - They have hated the Gators since the Bear's days.

Florida has been long known nation wide as a 'Party School' with some of the worst HOMER sporting event fans anywhere.
Nobody suffers a win like Gator fans can.....

As to any specific officials, I've always wondered if it's corruption or incompetence. -- Are they paid off, or are they just stupid/biased?

Oh Wait: Maybe it's all my fault for even noticing how crappy officials can be in any given game. They are punishing the Gators because of my individual complaining.... 🙄

Last edited:
Gators did what they should have done today. Nice to get a stress free 37 point win. Keep working on the defense.

UF Women's basketball improved to 8-1 Sunday with a 69-65 win at 0-8 Dayton. They next host Presbyterian Tuesday at 6 pm, then travel to Miami next Sunday for an ACC Network game at 4 pm. This Gator team isn't great, but they are highly competitive and are playing hard for their new coach.

The men had a great 2nd half today and it appears things are starting to get sorted out rotation wise. Reeves is back in the starting lineup, Riley Kugel is seeing more of the floor, Richard and Bonham are legit shooters and Fudge is making more & more of an impact. They stand at 6-3 now, with a tough test coming up Wednesday when they host 9-0 UConn. The game is at 9 pm on ESPN2. They then get a week off before meeting Ohio U. in Tampa December 14 at 7 pm on ESPN2. Their last pre-conference game is 12/20 at 9:30 pm when they play in Charlotte, NC against Oklahoma.
One thing I have noticed as a difference between this team and other Gator teams in the recent past is that our shooting percentages are better. As a team we're 47.6% from the field, 38.4% hitting 3's and 74.6% from the free throw line. Also, we're on the positive side of assists vs. turnovers, averaging 13.7 assists per game to 11.3 turnovers. How all that translates into wins and losses remains to be seen. The SEC is very good this year, so we'll see how it all plays out.

UF Women's basketball improved to 8-1 Sunday with a 69-65 win at 0-8 Dayton. They next host Presbyterian Tuesday at 6 pm, then travel to Miami next Sunday for an ACC Network game at 4 pm. This Gator team isn't great, but they are highly competitive and are playing hard for their new coach.

The men had a great 2nd half today and it appears things are starting to get sorted out rotation wise. Reeves is back in the starting lineup, Riley Kugel is seeing more of the floor, Richard and Bonham are legit shooters and Fudge is making more & more of an impact. They stand at 6-3 now, with a tough test coming up Wednesday when they host 9-0 UConn. The game is at 9 pm on ESPN2. They then get a week off before meeting Ohio U. in Tampa December 14 at 7 pm on ESPN2. Their last pre-conference game is 12/20 at 9:30 pm when they play in Charlotte, NC against Oklahoma.
One thing I have noticed as a difference between this team and other Gator teams in the recent past is that our shooting percentages are better. As a team we're 47.6% from the field, 38.4% hitting 3's and 74.6% from the free throw line. Also, we're on the positive side of assists vs. turnovers, averaging 13.7 assists per game to 11.3 turnovers. How all that translates into wins and losses remains to be seen. The SEC is very good this year, so we'll see how it all plays out.
Happy to see our FT shooting much improved.

The NET rankings show the SEC as really being strong this season so far. We are right in the middle of the conference with that.

UF Women's BB improves to 9-1 with a 78 - 52 win over Presbyterian. Next up is Miami in Coral Gables on Sunday. Tough game for the men Wed. night against #5 UConn.

Damn are we playing in Connecticut? The way these officials are missing blatant fouls on UConn I’m wondering.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT