ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

That was a pathetic performance. They played stupid. Castleton was terrible, Richard was terrible. Lofton was terrible. Bonham was terrible. The only guy who stood up to the competition was Fudge. The team is off for a week and then plays the Ohio Bobcats (4-4 right now) in Tampa next Wednesday night, then finish up the pre-conference schedule against Oklahoma (7-2 right now) in Charlotte, both games on ESPN2.

That was awful. We looked tight all game. Uconn probably the best team in the country and we did nothing to dispute that. CC is not good when teams get physical with him and his lack of any outside jump shot will keep him out of the NBA. Uconn has 3 NBA guys and we have none but goodness...SEC is top heavy so maybe we can find our way to 9-9 but right now looking like 5-7 wins in the conference. Golden has same issue as White, we lack size. Needs to correct that for next season or his tenure will be a short one.

That was awful. We looked tight all game. Uconn probably the best team in the country and we did nothing to dispute that. CC is not good when teams get physical with him and his lack of any outside jump shot will keep him out of the NBA. Uconn has 3 NBA guys and we have none but goodness...SEC is top heavy so maybe we can find our way to 9-9 but right now looking like 5-7 wins in the conference. Golden has same issue as White, we lack size. Needs to correct that for next season or his tenure will be a short one.
For all the experience on this team, they are not playing smart at all. Forcing shots, too much one on one play and Castleton misses way too many shots at the rim - even more so than last year. On top of that our SOS right now is #169, so it's not like we've played a killer schedule.
Our women's basketball team's SOS is #332, but they're 9-1, which they should be playing that level of opponents. Our women's program is showing improvement and making steady progress towards being a factor in the SEC. But the men's team has just been languishing as a bubble team, middle of the SEC pack for several years and showing no signs of getting better. I know that the new coach needs some time, but D1 basketball programs can be turned around very quickly with the right coach and quality recruiting.

For all the experience on this team, they are not playing smart at all. Forcing shots, too much one on one play and Castleton misses way too many shots at the rim - even more so than last year. On top of that our SOS right now is #169, so it's not like we've played a killer schedule.
Our women's basketball team's SOS is #332, but they're 9-1, which they should be playing that level of opponents. Our women's program is showing improvement and making steady progress towards being a factor in the SEC. But the men's team has just been languishing as a bubble team, middle of the SEC pack for several years and showing no signs of getting better. I know that the new coach needs some time, but D1 basketball programs can be turned around very quickly with the right coach and quality recruiting.
Yep completely agree Ocala. Don't mind losing to Uconn, they are loaded. But the way we lost was awful.

I agree about Castleton. I doubt he makes an NBA roster as big guys built like him are expected to have a good outside shot which he doesn't have.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I agree about Castleton. I doubt he makes an NBA roster as big guys built like him are expected to have a good outside shot which he doesn't have.
He may not have the outside shot now, but I remember when Al Horford didn't have a long range shot while at UF. Neither did Robert Horry when he was at Bama. I'm not saying Castleton will magically become a 3 point threat, but I'm sure he'll be given a shot before he heads out somewhere overseas.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Mining the season stats so far....

Team Averages: Min. - FG% - 3's % - FT % - Pts/Gm

Castleton - 28.0 - FG .514 - 3's .143 - FT's .708 - Pts 16.6

Jitoboh --- 12.0 - FG .765 - 3's .500 - FT's .636 - Pts 3.8

Richard --- 28.6 - FG .607 - 3's .586 - FT's .947 - Pts 13.6 (FT's 18/19)

Bonham -- 17.8 - FG .418 - 3's .410 - FT's .645 - Pts 10.2

Lofton ---- 30.9 - FG .409 - 3's .313 - FT's .800 - Pts 9.6

Reeves ---- 20.7 - FG .471 - 3's .433 - FT's .667 - Pts 9.6

Fudge ----- 21.4 - FG .431 - 3's .357 - FT's .895 - Pts 8.0 (TO's 15)

Felder ----- 16.2 - FG .542 - 3's .250 - FT's 1.000 - Pts 3.3 (FT's 3/3) - (TO's 8)

Team Leaders:

Minutes Played - Lofton 30.9 M/Gm
Scoring - Castleton - 16.6 Pts.
FG % - Jitoboh .765 13/17
3's % - Richard .586 17/29

FT % - Richard .947 18/19
Four others with smaller FT numbers: Team .746
Jones 8/8 - Felder 3/3 - Aberdeen 2/2 - Szymczyk 2/2

RB's - Castleton 67 (AF 44 - CF 36 - WR 35)
Blk's - Castleton 26 (AF 10 - JJ 6)
PF's - Jitoboh 22 (CC 20)
Ast's - Lofton 29 (CC 25 - TB 20 - MJ 17)
TO's - Castleton 22 (AF 15 - KL 11 - TB 10)
Stl's - Bonham 9 (WR 8 - CC 7 - RK 6)

It takes a little focused thinking to adjust the numbers to: minutes played, shots taken, etc...
That's where the analytics (stats + human factors) comes into play.
Strength and weakness for each player/position varies, but it takes a TEAM to win games.

=====

PS - IF, and I say if, they play with the same energy and focus that I saw vs Stetson, then they'll at least have a chance vs UConn. If not,,, oh-well....

Tried to put this post up yesterday, but I just found it here waiting on me today, so I'll post it anyway. It obviously doesn't contain the UConn game stats...

That was a pathetic performance. They played stupid. Castleton was terrible, Richard was terrible. Lofton was terrible. Bonham was terrible. The only guy who stood up to the competition was Fudge. The team is off for a week and then plays the Ohio Bobcats (4-4 right now) in Tampa next Wednesday night, then finish up the pre-conference schedule against Oklahoma (7-2 right now) in Charlotte, both games on ESPN2.
😂 🤣 😂

But look on the bright side ocala, at least they got rid of that sorry no offense MW dude, and replaced him with this young and exciting analytic coach....
😁

😂 🤣 😂

But look on the bright side ocala, at least they got rid of that sorry no offense MW dude, and replaced him with this young and exciting analytic coach.... 😁
Spot on!! Last year UF was ranked 201 averaging 69.8 pts per game. This year UF is 86 averaging 79 pts per game. Just fyi, georgia is 232 averaging shockingly 70 pts per game...hmmmm.

While the new guys offense is Pure Golden.... 😁

UF 83 - 90 Xavier

UF 74 - 76 Fla Atlantic

UF 55 - 84 WVa

UF 54 - 75 UConn

And it's getting even better as time goes by.

A Sweet 16 for sure, and maybe even the Final Four.....

UF 83 - 90 Xavier

UF 74 - 76 Fla Atlantic

UF 55 - 84 WVa

UF 54 - 75 UConn

Oh how we forget, not that Golden is Billy Donovan, but Billy had a losing record his first two seasons with flashes of high scoring.
You sure do miss Mike White the same way you miss Butters Mcelwain.

Reactions: Gator Fever

UF 83 - 90 Xavier

UF 74 - 76 Fla Atlantic

UF 55 - 84 WVa

UF 54 - 75 UConn

You think?? How was Mike White's first season? I can't remember.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
You think?? How was Mike White's first season? I can't remember.

Mike took over after BillyD bailed out for the NBA after a 16-17 loser season.
He went to the NIT with ZERO earned home games do to the O'Dome's refurbishing.

I seem to remember him making the NIT Final Four before losing, with a win @ tOSU.
He finished with a 21-15 season, 9-9 SEC. Then he made the Elite-8 the next season.

Gives the Golden boy a nice goal to shoot for, so we'll see....

Mike took over after BillyD bailed out for the NBA after a 16-17 loser season.
He went to the NIT with ZERO earned home games do to the O'Dome's refurbishing.

I seem to remember him making the NIT Final Four before losing, with a win @ tOSU.
He finished with a 21-15 season, 9-9 SEC. Then he made the Elite-8 the next season.

Gives the Golden boy a nice goal to shoot for, so we'll see....
That's right, nit his first season...then had his best season in year 2...then he bailed on us for the greener pastures of georgia. Left the program Billy had built into a consistent top 10-20 range for middle of the sec pack.

Your SELECTIVE MEMORY and your RAMPANT BIAS is now in full blossom.... 😉

And you're boring me to sleep with your constant drivel.... 😴

How about the job Kelly Rae Finley is doing with UF's Women's Basketball team!? After making it to the NCAA tournament as Interim Head Coach last year, she was made THE head coach in February of this year. She brought in 3 quality transfers over the summer and has already signed a 5 star, Top 20 recruit for the 2023-24 season. Even though they lost their top returning scorer and assist leader from last year in October to a season-ending injury, they are off to a 10-1 start, having just knocked off a quality Miami Hurricanes team Sunday in Coral Gables 76-73 in overtime. The Gators are picked 6th in the SEC, but they are no longer a patsy and pushover for the rest of the league. Next up is UNC-Greensboro next Sunday in Gainesville, followed by Oklahoma 12/21 in Charlotte, NC on ESPN2 before they start their SEC schedule. Coach Finley deserves a ton of credit for what she's done in bringing women's basketball back to respectability in a very short period of time.

How about the job Kelly Rae Finley is doing with UF's Women's Basketball team!? After making it to the NCAA tournament as Interim Head Coach last year, she was made THE head coach in February of this year. She brought in 3 quality transfers over the summer and has already signed a 5 star, Top 20 recruit for the 2023-24 season. EvenOu though they lost their top returning scorer and assist leader from last year in October to a season-ending injury, they are off to a 10-1 start, having just knocked off a quality Miami Hurricanes team Sunday in Coral Gables 76-73 in overtime. The Gators are picked 6th in the SEC, but they are no longer a patsy and pushover for the rest of the league. Next up is UNC-Greensboro next Sunday in Gainesville, followed by Oklahoma 12/21 in Charlotte, NC on ESPN2 before they start their SEC schedule. Coach Finley deserves a ton of credit for what she's done in bringing women's basketball back to respectability in a very short period of time.
Outstanding start!

Thomas Haugh, 6-9, Perkiomen (PA), 2023 – Committed to Florida

The challenge for Haugh is that he is far and away the highest-level recruit on his Perkiomen team. With that status comes expectations, at least perceived expectations, that he should be the offensive catalyst. The reality though is that might not be his game, and that's just fine, since his highest upside isn't tied to being a high-volume scorer.

Haugh was a bit of a late-bloomer who now stands 6-foot-9 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan. He’s filled out his frame and added some notable muscle mass in the last year along with some functional power and athleticism around the rim.

Defensively, he’s been very well-coached and is undoubtedly ahead of the curve when it comes to his accountability and understanding of concepts. He also possesses the tools to be fairly versatile and switchable.

Offensively, he may not be a prime iso candidate, but he’s becoming an increasing consistent finisher and post threat. He’s capable of making an open standstill three, putting it on the floor a bit, and a willing ball-mover. If that jumper can ever develop into a weapon, there’s the markings of a potentially elite role player…and a 6-foot-9 role player who competes, helps anchors a defense, guards multiple positions, stretches the floor, finishes inside, and is a heady ball-mover is a good long-term prototype.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Up 31-29 at the half. Much better defensive effort in the first half, but the offense disappeared down the stretch. OU is a very physical team. Gators will need a better shooting effort from the outside to win. CCs inability to be a threat from beyond the arc is limiting. College hoops becoming more like the nba in that big men have to be a threat from 3.

2 for 19 from three. You won't win with those type of stats. Defense was much better tonight but the offense was awful. Ice cold shooting. Golden seem to get stuck on the same 5 guys.

• Sad
Reactions: gatordad3
2 for 19 from three. You won't win with those type of stats. Defense was much better tonight but the offense was awful. Ice cold shooting. Golden seem to get stuck on the same 5 guys.
Yes, we pretty much suck in basketball too, they will finish with a losing record, probably like 13-19 or worse

It looks like we're going to have a losing record in basketball. Tonight they played really good the first 15 minutes of the game and sucked the rest of the way. Castleton was the only guy who played well. Too many forced, stupid shots, too much standing around, forced passes and terrible shooting especially beyond the arc where we went 2-22.

Yes, we pretty much suck in basketball too, they will finish with a losing record, probably like 13-19 or worse
SEC is the haves and have nots this year. 5 really good teams and then a bunch of average to below average teams. We really haven't played a tough non conference schedule so you could be right. I am thinking 8-10 in the conference which would put us around .500.

they will never get 8 wins in the sec, might want to look at the schedule, i see maybe 5
SEC is the haves and have nots this year. 5 really good teams and then a bunch of average to below average teams. We really haven't played a tough non conference schedule so you could be right. I am thinking 8-10 in the conference which would put us around .500.

they will never get 8 wins in the sec, might want to look at the schedule, i see maybe 5
We actually caught a break with the schedule this year. Arky, Bama, KY, Auburn, and Tennessee are the only 5 good teams (Miss St is not good and finally got exposed tonight). We only have to play KY twice. The other 4 we only play 1 time. But again, you could be right. Hell, we could go 0-18.

This is the worst Gator Bball team I can remember. Shockingly bad really. I almost miss Mike White. Taking contested jump shots from long range, early in the shot clock is a sign of bad coaching. You can get that shot at any time.

Our offense is a joke. Bunch of guys standing around and whoever ends up with the ball goes one on one and chucks it. I am seeing NOTHING from this guy. I guess that’s why you shouldn’t hire middle school kids to coach in NCAA.

After Murray State was eliminated by the Don's, led by Todd Golden, it was my hope that Stricklin would have hired Matt McMahon in the first place. He seems to be doing well at LSU now. McMahon was who most of us wanted ever since White left.

Our offense is a joke. Bunch of guys standing around and whoever ends up with the ball goes one on one and chucks it. I am seeing NOTHING from this guy. I guess that’s why you shouldn’t hire middle school kids to coach in NCAA.

I only watched the 1st half and even though we were leading at that point I saw the same thing. Hopefully they get that corrected or it will be a rough SEC season.

I actually wanted Porter Moser but we would of had to get rid of White a year earlier which Stricklin didn’t do. Heck he didn’t really get rid of him this past year. UGA came in and saved Stricklin from firing him. After we finally got rid of Mike White I then turned my attention to Chris Jans or McMahon.

ADVERTISEMENT