ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

Castleton is a stud, although he misses too many shots at the rim. He's the heart of the team and a great leader. FAU outhustled us and we couldn't defend the 3, plus had long scoring droughts in each half. FAU lost to Ole Miss by 13, so they're not THAT good. Better than us tonight. Our new coach doesn't like to call time outs when the other team goes on a run and it snowballed on us twice tonight. The guys seem to still be figuring out their roles on the team and learning to play together.
We missed several first half shots at the rim. In the second half we built a 10 point lead and looked like we eased up a bit from the energy level. We had no answers for them defensively. FAU went conservative a little too early and we almost made them pay for that. The two Lane turnovers were killers as they came at times we were trying to build a run.

No, it's because they are very experienced and can shoot the 3. They deserved the win tonight.
Not to make excuses but a team that has played together over a year(five starters returned) versus a team with two games under their belt is going to win most of those. I had my worries coming into this one.

Not to make excuses but a team that has played together over a year(five starters returned) versus a team with two games under their belt is going to win most of those. I had my worries coming into this one.
Agreed. Ocala called it a few days ago. Said FAU was experienced and would be a tough test. They lost at Ole Miss by 13, but it was a 3 point game late. We are in game 3 and no need to panic.

Man to Man D with no switching gave FAU clean runs to the basket.
Their screens for 3 Pt open looks were working all night.

PF Fudge fouled out with 4 pts on 2/6 shooting, 0/1 3's with 2 TO's, 1 Blk.
I'll give him credit for playing hard and he got 7 Rbs in his 25 minutes.
PF Fleders 14 Min's, 0/2 FG, 1 PF, 4 Rbs...
(as a fan, I was disappointed in the results from them both)
Maybe they should try to get the freshman forward more practice & playing time as soon as possible?

How aggressive were the Gator's on defense?
Personal Fouls:
UF --- 5 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1- 1 - 1 - 1 = 16
FAU - 4 - 4 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 -1 = 16
Even up means to me that they got punked by the little guys....
Stl's - UF 1 - 1 - 1 = 3 -- FAU 3-2-1-1 = 7

Their energy level and focus on defense was lacking through most of the game.

Slow start offensively:
1st half - FG's 30.56%
2nd half - FG's 46.88%
-----
1st half - 3's 37.50%
2nd half - 3's 55.56%
-----
1st half - FT's 76.92%
2nd half - FT's 100%
---Game---
FG's - 26/68 - 38.2%
3's ---- 8/17 -- 47.1%
FT's - 14/17 -- 82.4%

On offense they looked like players trying to get their ball time and their shots off, instead of a TEAM focused on working together for each other and winning the game. Talk is cheap.
It's what you put on the film that shows who and what you are....

Assists:
UF --- 6-2-2-2-2 ===== 14 - TO's 12 - (1.2 to 1)
FAU - 4-3-2-2-2-2-1-1 = 17 - TO's 9 -- ( 1.9 to 1)
Golden made a big deal (emphasis) on improving the rebounding and the 3 point shooting.
Rebounds
UF -- O/D 12-34 - 46
FAU - O/D 6/31 - 37
UF's major size difference only accounted for 9 more rebounds.

3 Point Shooting - FAU took 7 more shots, and made 5 more 3's.(+15 Pts)
UF ---- 8/17 47.1%
FAU - 13/24 52.4%

Golden's EMPHASIS got shoved right back down his throat....

Rotate more, and more often. They forgot everything about 'shot selection.'
BENCH any player that forgets 'Team over Self' on the floor.
Coach with the carrot/stick method, (+/- playing time)
As mamma used to say; "If you won't listen, then you'll have to feel," and she used a literal stick....

Credit the loss to 50% players and 50% game coaching.....
If they continue to play/coach like this, the rest of the SEC will eat them alive....

Final Analysis --
TEAM
Talk is Cheap, while your film/stats is who you really are...

Last edited:
Man to Man D with no switching gave FAU clean runs to the basket.
Their screens for 3 Pt open looks were working all night.

PF Fudge fouled out with 4 pts on 2/6 shooting, 0/1 3's with 2 TO's, 1 Blk.

I'll give him credit for playing hard and he got 7 Rbs in his 25 minutes.
PF Fleders 14 Min's, 0/2 FG, 1 PF, 4 Rbs...
(as a fan, I was disappointed in the results of them both)
Maybe they should try to get the freshman forward more practice & playing time as soon as possible?

How aggressive were the Gator's on defense?
Personal Fouls:
UF --- 5 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1- 1 - 1 - 1 = 16
FAU - 4 - 4 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 -1 = 16
Even up means to me that they got punked by the little guys....
Stl's - UF 1 - 1 - 1 = 3 -- FAU 3-2-1-1 =

Their energy level and focus on defense was lacking through most of the game.

Slow start offensively:
1st half - FG's 30.56%
2nd half - FG's 46.88%
1st half - 3's 37.50%
2nd half - 3's 55.56%
1st half - FT's 76.92%
2nd half - FT's 100%
Game

FG's - 26/68 - 38.2%
3's ---- 8/17 -- 47.1%
FT's - 14/17 -- 82.4%

On offense they looked like players trying to get their ball time and their shots off, instead of a TEAM focused on working together for each other and winning the game. Talk is cheap. It's what you put on the film that shows who and what you are....

Assists:
UF --- 6-2-2-2-2 ===== 14 - TO's 12 - (1.2 to 1)
FAU - 4-3-2-2-2-2-1-1 = 17 - TO's 9 -- ( 1.9 to 1)
Golden made a big deal (emphasis) of improving the rebounding and the 3 point shooting.
Rebounds
UF -- O/D 12-34 - 46
FAU - O/D 6/31 - 37
UF's major size difference only accounted for 9 more rebounds.

3 Point Shooting - FAU took 7 more shots, and made 5 more 3's.(+15 Pts)
UF ---- 8/17 47.1%
FAU - 13/24 52.4%

Rotate more, and more often. They forgot everything about 'shot selection.'
BENCH any player that forgets 'Team over Self' on the floor.
Coach with the carrot/stick method,
(+/- playing time)
As mamma used to say; "If you won't listen, then you'll have to feel," and she used a literal stick....

Credit the loss to 50% players and 50% game coaching.....
If they continue to play/coach like this, the rest of the SEC will eat them alive....

Final Analysis -- TEAM
Talk is Cheap, while your film/stats is who you really are...
Personally I think they will get better as the season progresses. Again, game 3 no need to hit the panic button. A loss like this can be beneficial.

After 3 games the Gators are averaging 81 points, shooting 46% from the field, 41% on their 3's, plus 75% from the free throw line. They are +9 in rebounds per game, averaged 13 assists to 11 turnovers per game and are averaging 7.3 blocks per game. I've watched the last 2 games and think they are still searching for an identity and the coach is still trying to figure out who he trusts the most. So far Felder has been a disappointment to me. Castleton is clearly one of the best players in the SEC and Richard and Lofton have a chance to be really good. Reeves is streaky and it appears Jones and Lane have been lost in the mix and aren't getting near the playing time I thought they would. Last night's loss was due to 2 things - the inability to finish at the rim and poor transition and switching on defense. I'm excited about the season and think they have the potential to be pretty good. But the guys have got to come together as a team, learn to trust each other and not rely too much on Castleton doing everything.

Didn't see it but why are we losing to an FAU team at home that was handled by Ole Miss? Hopefully this stuff gets corrected.

Didn't see it but why are we losing to an FAU team at home that was handled by Ole Miss? Hopefully this stuff gets corrected.
They were only 10 - 32 shooting LAYUPS! Plus, they got back too slow too often on transition defense and gave up too many wide open 3's.

Reactions: Gator Fever
"The sloppy performance by the Gators presented many areas of concern and poor execution on both ends of the floor. (50% players--50% coaches -- Florida shot 38% from the floor and missed 22 layups,10-of-32." (with no halftime D adj by the self proclaimed DC, Golden) 😳

"Well, after seeing four scorers tally double-digit performances (Colin Castleton, Kyle Lofton, Will Richard and Kowacie Reeves Jr.), the Gators had just two other players record points on Monday night." (4&1 - a point I made in my stats post - Golden's OC Hovde has not impressed me so far either)
=====

I also wanted more in the rotation and the rotations done more often.
(the Gators bench was outscored 34-5)
😖

Note to the DC -- You can't fight through a good ball screen, you have to be able to 'Call Switch' letting your defenders switch and slide with the ball.
A RB can't run through a D-line where no hole exists.
And a man-on-man B-Ball defender can't run through a well set screen. (duh)
🙄

What they should have learned from this loss?
That 2 corner-stone pieces don't make up a complete winning TEAM.
CC - 30 Pts, 12 Rbs, 5 Blks
KL - 14 Pts, 7 Rbs, 6 Asts
Combined 44 pts, 19 Rbs, 6 Asts, 5 Blks

What might be the best PG/C combo in college B-Ball, were still the LOSERS....

"The sloppy performance by the Gators presented many areas of concern and poor execution on both ends of the floor. (50% players--50% coaches -- Florida shot 38% from the floor and missed 22 layups,10-of-32." (with no halftime D adj by the self proclaimed DC, Golden) 😳

"Well, after seeing four scorers tally double-digit performances (Colin Castleton, Kyle Lofton, Will Richard and Kowacie Reeves Jr.), the Gators had just two other players record points on Monday night." (4&1 - a point I made in my stats post - Golden's OC Hovde has not impressed me so far either)
=====

I also wanted more in the rotation and the rotations done more often.
(the Gators bench was outscored 34-5)
😖

Note to the DC -- You can't fight through a good ball screen, you have to be able to 'Call Switch' letting your defenders switch and slide with the ball.
A RB can't run through a D-line where no hole exists.
And a man-on-man B-Ball defender can't run through a well set screen. (duh)
🙄

What they should have learned from this loss?
That 2 corner-stone pieces don't make up a complete winning TEAM.
CC - 30 Pts, 12 Rbs, 5 Blks
KL - 14 Pts, 7 Rbs, 6 Asts
Combined 44 pts, 19 Rbs, 6 Asts, 5 Blks

What might be the best PG/C combo in college B-Ball, were still the LOSERS....

I'm predicting that nobody will go undefeated this season...won't be the last time we lose. Hopeful they learn from this..

Reactions: instaGATOR
The Big Dance or BUST.... We shall see.....
THE University of Florida should have higher expectations than just making the 67 team field of the NCAA tournament in Men's Basketball. They should be challenging for an SEC title on a regular basis. Post season accolades are a bonus, IMO. But for a first year coach, getting to the big dance is a first step. I'm optimistic, but not sold on Golden yet. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of years, like I did Mike White. Hoping for the best. Go Gators!!!

DC Golden's man to man defense without switching is not working.

OC Hovde's offense just went 10 of 32 on freakin' layups....

I'm willing to give them the decades that it might take to correct things.....
😉
But hey,,, GOOOOOOOOOOGators, beat the criminoles.....

Down 17 at the half vs FSU, now UF up by 5 at the 11:59 mark.
We had an embarrassing first half.

Incredible comeback. Looked like 2 different teams between the 1st half and the 2nd half. They still missed too many shots at the rim, but the defensive pressure in the 2nd half led to a lot of easy buckets. Still don't know what we have in this year's team, but it's always good to beat FSU in anything.

FSU is TERRIBLE. Yeah not sure what we have as well. I think we at least have an offensive system and a philosophy and are capable of scoring points. I haven’t been very impressed with our defense though. And White handed Golden a crap roster. The only White player that is doing well is Castleton.

The game against Xavier will very much give a glimpse at where UF is on the national scale.

IF UF wins, it could show top 20 potential.

FSU is awful, but they are our biggest rival and it was on their court. You knew they would come out and give us a big time fight. 2nd half turnaround gave us a glimpse of what this team should look like. But no clue if we can play with any consistency.

PG Lofton 37 Min ---- 3/8 FG, 0/2 3's, 3/4 FT. 2 RB, 3 Ast, 2 Stl, 9 Pts.

PG Bonham 20 Min - 2/8 FG, 1/5 3's, 6/7 FT, 7 RB, 3 Ast, 2 Stl, 1 Blk, 11 Pts

=====

C Castleton 32 Min - 9/14 FG, 7/10 FT, 9 RB, 1 Ast, 4 TO, 1 Blk, 25 Pts

C Jitoboh 11 Min ------ 2/2 FG, 2/2 FT, 2 RB, 2 Ast, 0 TO, 1 Blk, 6 Pts

=====

PF Fudge 20 Min - 2/4 FG, 0/0 3's, 4 RB, 3 TO, 2 Blk, 4 Pts

PF Felder 16 Min -- 1/5 FG, 0/1 3's, 6 Rb, 0 TO, 0 Blk, 2 Pts

=====

SG/SF Reeves 10 Min - 1/4 FG, 1/3 3's, 1/2 FT, 0 RB, 4 Pts --- WTF?

But I have no clue what any of that means..... 😯

• Haha
Reactions: ocalaman
PG Lofton 37 Min ---- 3/8 FG, 0/2 3's, 3/4 FT. 2 RB, 3 Ast, 2 Stl, 9 Pts.

PG Bonham 20 Min - 2/8 FG, 1/5 3's, 6/7 FT, 7 RB, 3 Ast, 2 Stl, 1 Blk, 11 Pts

=====

C Castleton 32 Min - 9/14 FG, 7/10 FT, 9 RB, 1 Ast, 4 TO, 1 Blk, 25 Pts

C Jitoboh 11 Min ------ 2/2 FG, 2/2 FT, 2 RB, 2 Ast, 0 TO, 1 Blk, 6 Pts

=====

PF Fudge 20 Min - 2/4 FG, 0/0 3's, 4 RB, 3 TO, 2 Blk, 4 Pts

PF Felder 16 Min -- 1/5 FG, 0/1 3's, 6 Rb, 0 TO, 0 Blk, 2 Pts

=====

SG/SF Reeves 10 Min - 1/4 FG, 1/3 3's, 1/2 FT, 0 RB, 4 Pts --- WTF?

But I have no clue what any of that means..... 😯
Neither do we?

One thing I did notice was that Trey Bonham played most of the 2nd half and Reeves sat on the bench. The defense was much better and Bonham was under control and a major contributor to the comeback. Not saying it was just 1 guy because the entire team picked up its intensity and seemed to feed off each other. But I do think Bonham earned more playing time with his effort.

Last edited:
In the last 2 games, the starters have stunk-on-ice in the 1st half.
Maybe they should play the bench to begin the game, then slowly move the regular starters in as the game moves along....
Sometimes you can 'create' a hunger to get on the floor and play.
🤓

Well that was a crappy end to the first half. 8-0 run by Xavier in the final 1:14. Two sloppy turnovers lead to 5 points. Need to come out strong in the 2nd half.

Reeves hasn't seen the floor. Must in Golden's doghouse. We're having trouble defending the inside game and they've had Castleton bottled up. Too much fouling as well.

No D, Xavier shot close to 60% for the game, new guys were better. Castleton was a no show

Score 83 and still lose...our 3 point D continues to be a problem. Teams lighting us up from downtown. Guys played hard but our lack of size hurt some tonight. Also had several missed layups.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Xavier is very experienced and 2 really good big men. Our defense got beat continually. Need to beat Oregon State tomorrow.

Reactions: PacoGator19
😂
🤣
😂

We better beat Oregon State or we will be behind the curve big time getting into the tournament with FAU already beating us.

We better beat Oregon State or we will be behind the curve big time getting into the tournament with FAU already beating us.
Kowacie with a Jordan like dunk against the Beavers. I really miss his hair from last season. Now the announcers have less to talk about.

Reactions: Gator Fever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT