ADVERTISEMENT

Barber climbing OL depth chart ? - Crawshaw Talks about his Physical Improvement; Dexter to move to DE in Toney's scheme ?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Ethan White lost 60 lbs when he first got to UF. Desmond Watson has done little or nothing to improve.

One or two plays in short yardage is all Watson is good for. If he doesn't improve, Napier will likely cut him from the team.

Listed at 6-foot-5 and 415 pounds, sophomore defensive tackle Desmond Watson was the subject of many fans' inquiries during the observable window as the team made it clear during the spring that it wanted him to get slightly leaner ahead of the season. While it's possible Watson was in slightly better shape than he was in the spring, his physique did not appear to be markedly different on Wednesday, something to potentially keep an eye on moving forward. With Florida's depth along its defensive front very thin, Watson could be relied upon in certain situations as a two-gap player. However, Florida defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator Sean Spencer said Tuesday that the goal was for Watson to be a more versatile player.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...juries-updates-Billy-Napier-Gators-190934457/

• Sad
Reactions: gatordad3
Ethan White lost 60 lbs when he first got to UF. Desmond Watson has done little or nothing to improve.

One or two plays in short yardage is all Watson is good for. If he doesn't improve, Napier will likely cut him from the team.

Listed at 6-foot-5 and 415 pounds, sophomore defensive tackle Desmond Watson was the subject of many fans' inquiries during the observable window as the team made it clear during the spring that it wanted him to get slightly leaner ahead of the season. While it's possible Watson was in slightly better shape than he was in the spring, his physique did not appear to be markedly different on Wednesday, something to potentially keep an eye on moving forward. With Florida's depth along its defensive front very thin, Watson could be relied upon in certain situations as a two-gap player. However, Florida defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator Sean Spencer said Tuesday that the goal was for Watson to be a more versatile player.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...juries-updates-Billy-Napier-Gators-190934457/
Listed at that before spring , you have an accurate scale in your eyes?

1. White is not Watson, so no cookie cutter response is appropriate.

2. Watson moves better than any player we've ever had at anything near that size.
2a. He can still fill a valuable team role because of his ability to move at that size.
2b. It takes 2 opponents to have any chance of moving him, and even then.

3. Jeffie, how about you get offa his ass until and unless he can't get his NT job done.
3a. There a good chance that Sale knows more on how to use him than you ever will.

4. Spencer said he’s one of the biggest humans he’s ever seen. “Sometimes we line him up in a gap, and he’s almost taking up two,” he said with a laugh. “We need to continue to work on his condition (not necessarily his weight), but he moves remarkably well for his size.”

At practice, Spencer said Watson blows over strength and conditioning assistant Karmichael Dunbar, a former defensive lineman for the Ragin’ Cajuns. “I’ve heard he bench presses 515, and that’s like an electric car, right?” Spencer said. “I don’t think I had anyone on the NY Giants go above 450.”

2019 FloridaHSFootball.com
7A All-State second-team selection after posting 65 tackles, 34 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and three pass breakups in his junior campaign... Helped Armwood go 12-2 during the 2019 season, making a deep run in the 7A state playoffs... Big, interior presence that is able to push the pocket and stop the run game... Also threw shot put in high school (not clumsy)...
Chose Florida over offers from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Florida State, etc.

2021 (Freshman): Appeared as a reserve in all 13 games, finishing with 0.5 sacks and seven tackles (two solo)…

Listed at that before spring , you have an accurate scale in your eyes?
micfan,

Wasn't there & my eyes no better than yours - BUT

have you seen anything that indicates he has lost weight ?

if Watson had lost any measurable amount of weight, it, like Ethan White's, would have been reported.

They report how much weight players can lift; IMO, they would report Watson's weight loss; IF there was anything to report.

Hocke, whose job is conditioning, would be taking credit for getting Watson into better shape & telling the media how they did it.

Since none of that has happened .... !

Also, one of the standard fall practice check in activities is to accurately record all the players' current Heights & Weights.

I believe they do that before the 1st day of practice.

Last edited:

Watson was definitely lighter in the spring game than last season. Doubt he was 415 in the actual spring game where he played quite a few snaps so if he is just a little lighter than he looked in that game he is improving at least. My guess is Watson will be a starter at DT with Dexter.

Watson was definitely lighter in the spring game than last season. Doubt he was 415 in the actual spring game where he played quite a few snaps so if he is just a little lighter than he looked in that game he is improving at least. My guess is Watson will be a starter at DT with Dexter.
Fever,

Guess the results of the official check in will tell us -

IF he has kept the weight, he lost prior to the spring game, off - great; but that's something I have trouble with.
I lose the same few pounds over & over - LOL !!

Still think any significant weight loss, like Ethan White's, would make Watson & Hocke the subject of media attention.

I haven't heard anything, have you ?

Last edited:
Fever,

Guess the results of the official check in will tell us -

IF he has kept the weight, he lost prior to the spring game off; something I have trouble with.

Still think any significant weight loss, like Ethan White's, would make Watson & Hocke the subject of media attention.

Haven't heard anything Fever, have you ?

I haven't heard anything on it but I went back and looked at the FAU game he got some time playing in and they were claiming then he had dropped from 480 down to about 400 but he still looked really big to me and I think they were taking about 15 or 20 pounds off his real weight. I then looked at the spring game again and he was lighter than that FAU game by at least 25 - 30 pounds I would say. He was still pretty heavy but not like in that FAU game.

Fever,

Great if true !

But if that the case, IMO, media would be all over it.

400 lbs still way tooooo heavy. Limited to short yardage where they will run to him.

How many NFL DTs weigh in at 400 lbs ?

Fever,

Great if true !

But if that the case, IMO, media would be all over it.

400 lbs still way tooooo heavy. Limited to short yardage where they will run to him.

How many NFL DTs weigh in at 400 lbs ?

385 or so would be my guess for the spring game but he wasn't coming out of the game a lot - at least on downs that weren't clear passing downs. If he can get to 365 or so he may be pretty decent.

Edit: The announcers were acting like he was over 400 in that spring game but he was clearly less than that FAU game. They probably were going by the guide.

Florida's Dexter anticipates being used at defensive end in Patrick Toney's scheme​

Florida junior defensive lineman Gervon Dexter Sr. may be on the watch list for the Outland Trophy, presented to the nation's best interior lineman in college football, but it sounds as if he anticipates playing at defensive end rather than at tackle this season.

Appearing to have slimmed down from the 312 pounds he was listed at last season, Dexter fielded questions from reporters during a media session ahead of Florida's first preseason camp, and the 6-foot-6 defensive lineman made it clear he'll play at whichever position defensive coordinator Patrick Toney needs him to play at this season.

If Toney needs him to move inside, he'll gladly move to defensive tackle, the position Dexter started nine games last year as a sophomore.

"I'll be playing like the end in this defense," Dexter revealed Tuesday. "Like I said, I'm a big team player guy, so if it's a time where Coach PT needs me at tackle or at nose, I'll be there, as well.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...-to-defensive-end-in-Toneys-scheme-190874344/

Desmond Watson, defensive tackle

When Watson is on the field, he is surely going to make an impact. However, that’s just the issue.

How long can he stay on the field? Listed at 415 pounds in the spring, Watson is working to get his weight down and has yet to play a lot of meaningful snaps.

Even 385 lbs is tooo big & tooo slow for the SEC.

waiting for them to update the roster. I believe what the scales say !

Surprised no one has said anything yet; perhaps Watson is under a GAG Order - LOL !

With Gervon Dexter playing more end this fall, someone’s going to have to step up in the middle. Watson can be that guy, but he has to be well-conditioned enough to make an impact for the Gators.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-gators/news/five-florida-gators-to-watch-during-fall-camp/

micfan,

Wasn't there & my eyes no better than yours - BUT

have you seen anything that indicates he has lost weight ?

if Watson had lost any measurable amount of weight, it, like Ethan White's, would have been reported.

They report how much weight players can lift; IMO, they would report Watson's weight loss; IF there was anything to report.

Hocke, whose job is conditioning, would be taking credit for getting Watson into better shape & telling the media how they did it.

Since none of that has happened .... !

Also, one of the standard fall practice check in activities is to accurately record all the players' current Heights & Weights.

I believe they do that before the 1st day of practice.
Jeff
I look at it as I do injuries, they don't share that info much. It was stated in the media portion that he was working on it. It was also stated that he could really move at the size he was. So I'm staying optimistic and say he will play around 385 come Sept 3rd. Also could you share the standard fall check in Height & Weights info?

Desmond Watson, defensive tackle

When Watson is on the field, he is surely going to make an impact. However, that’s just the issue.

How long can he stay on the field? Listed at 415 pounds in the spring, Watson is working to get his weight down and has yet to play a lot of meaningful snaps.

Even 385 lbs is tooo big & tooo slow for the SEC.

waiting for them to update the roster. I believe what the scales say !

Surprised no one has said anything yet; perhaps Watson is under a GAG Order - LOL !

With Gervon Dexter playing more end this fall, someone’s going to have to step up in the middle. Watson can be that guy, but he has to be well-conditioned enough to make an impact for the Gators.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-gators/news/five-florida-gators-to-watch-during-fall-camp/

I wonder how much DE Dexter will actually play. In the spring game he seemed to be almost always lined up at DT inside of Cox usually (unless some schemes consider that a DE now). I think Princely Umanmielen was getting most of the first team snaps at DE in the spring game. I would think Dexter at DE would mostly only be used maybe if someone was pounding us on the ground.

Last edited:
micfan,

I use the official website & football roster of the Florida Gators -
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster
which still shows 415 lbs; no date listed & like you I hope there has been much improvement.

"they don't share that info much."

When Ethan white lost all his weight; it was shared by his mother, the other players, & the coaching staff.

Wonder why we haven't heard anything definitive about Watson's weight loss ?

"It was stated in the media portion that he was working on it."

I work on the See Food diet every day - I see food & I eat it.

micfan,

I use the official website & football roster of the Florida Gators -
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster
which still shows 415 lbs; no date listed & like you I hope there has been much improvement.

"they don't share that info much."

When Ethan white lost all his weight; it was shared by his mother, the other players, & the coaching staff.

Wonder why we haven't heard anything definitive about Watson's weight loss ?

"It was stated in the media portion that he was working on it."

I work on the See Food diet every day - I see food & I eat it.
Jeff
I'm aware of the pre-spring roster and we have had a whole summer conditioning period since. Ethan's weight loss was shared by the last regime JS may be why we haven't heard any numbers. Pad level right 385 would be hard to put on skates.

Director of football strength and conditioning Mark Hocke: $750,000 annual salary

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-dollar1-million-assistant-coaches/ar-AAZ55oy

You would think Hocke would be able to control Watson's eating urges & would be telling us about his great success story & his conditioning progress.

We hear about Dexter losing weight to move to DE; why don't we have an update on Watson ?

If Watson hasn't lost the weight by now, extremely doubtful he loses it during fall practice or during the football season.

Wasn't that what the conditioning phase / The Regimen
of Napier's "year" was for?

What happened ?

Why doesn't Hocke want to share his success with us ?

Last edited:
Director of football strength and conditioning Mark Hocke: $750,000 annual salary

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-dollar1-million-assistant-coaches/ar-AAZ55oy

You would think Hocke would be able to control Watson's eating urges & would be telling us about his great success story & his conditioning progress.

We hear about Dexter losing weight to move to DE; why don't we have an update on Watson ?

If Watson hasn't lost the weight by now, extremely doubtful he loses it during fall practice or during the football season.

Wasn't that what the conditioning phase of Napier's "year" was for?

What happened ?

Why doesn't Hocke want to share his success with us ?
Jeff
What happened ? Why not shared? Think you have helped make my point. At this point neither of us know where Des is at with his weight so how he contributes is yet to be determined.

At this point, I'd like to see Watson come over and sit on Jeffie's fat head, to maybe attempt to seal the fat lips on his running mouth.... 😁

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Largest DT/DL listed on each NFL Roster
Average of all listed "Big Men" was 328.3 lbs

Bohanna for Dallas Cowboys is an obvious outlier (a Statistics term many posters like Insta will not be familiar with) so I looked up their starters.

I could not believe how many DL/DT were listed at 300 lbs or less. Obviously speed is supreme in the NFL; they have cut out the excess flab; may also depends on the type of defense a team runs - 3/4 vs 4/3

Let me know when Desmond Watson gets his weight down to the 328 lb NFL average for the heaviest / slowest DL on each team.

Watson has no chance to make NFL at his current weight. Probably why Napier brought Chris Thomas - 6-5, 314 back to the team; Watson toooo slow !

1​
Arizona Cardinals​
Leki Fotu​
330​
2​
Atlanta Falcons​
Anthony Rush​
350​
3​
Baltimore Ravens​
Michael Pierce​
345​
4​
Buffalo Bills​
Jordan Phillips​
330​
5​
Carolina Panthers​
Marquan McCall​
345​
6​
Chicago Bears​
Mike Pennell Jr​
332​
7​
Cincinnati Bengals​
Tyler Shelvin​
350​
8​
Cleveland Browns​
Roderick Perry​
304​
9​
Dallas Cowboys
Quinton Bohanna​
360​
Starter​
Neville Gallimore​
302​
Starter​
Carlos Watkins​
305​
10​
Denver Broncos​
Mike Purcell​
328​
11​
Detroit Lions​
Alim Mcneil​
325​
12​
Green Bay Packers​
Jonathan Ford​
338​
13​
Houston Texans​
Damion Daniels​
325​
14​
Indianapolis Colts​
Grover Stewart​
315​
15​
Jacksonville​
DaVon Hamilton​
320​
16​
Kansas City Chiefs​
Khalen saunders​
324​
17​
Las Vegas Raiders​
Vernon Butler​
325​
18​
Los Angeles Chargers​
Forrest Merrill​
322​
19​
Los Angeles Rams​
A'Shawn Robinson​
330​
20​
Miami Dolphins​
John Jenkins​
340​
21​
Minnesota Vikings​
Dalvin Tomlinson​
325​
22​
New England Patriots​
Carl Davis Jr.​
320​
23​
New Orleans Saints​
Jaleel Johnson​
316​
24​
New York Giants​
Dexter Lawrence​
342​
25​
New York Jets​
Nathan Shepherd​
315​
26​
Philadelphia Eagles​
Jordan Davis​
336​
27​
Pittsburgh Steelers​
Carlos Davis​
320​
28​
San Francisco 49ers​
Javon Kinlaw​
319​
29​
Seattle Seahawks​
Bryan Mone​
345​
30​
Tampa Bay Buccaneers​
Vita Vea​
347​
31​
Tennessee Titans​
Naquan Jones​
313​
32​
Washington Commanders​
Daron Payne​
320​
Average​
328.3​

Last edited:
Jeremy Crawshaw Talks about His Physical Improvement

It's a shame Hocke is so reticent where Watson's weight loss & Physical Improvement are concerned.

The six-foot-four punter has made improvements in the weight room. Gaining 16 pounds and excelling in the workouts.

“My squat, bench, everything has gone up, so they were talking to me about moving me to tight end,” Crawshaw said, giggling the words out of his mouth.

Under the previous regime, Crawshaw was able to do some trick plays. When he was asked about if coach Napier would show off the punters abilities this season, Crawshaw says that he’s ready for the green light.

“I think he knows what I’ve got going on here, so if he wants to run it, give me the nod and I’ll take off with it”.

Crawshaw's growth in strength can be credited to Florida’s Director of Football Strength and Conditioning/ Associated Head Coach Mark Hocke. The sophomore punter believes coach Hocke has been good for the team.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-preparing-for-fall-camp/

Last edited:
Blah, Blah, Blah, and all that NFL tripe amounts to NADA concerning who plays DT/NT at UF in 2022.

But I'm sure that both Nappy and Hocke are hanging on your every nagging post about Watson's Wt, (which you don't even know what it currently is) and they will be taking into proper consideration all of your preseason sniveling...
😂

Notes from Gators' 2nd Day of Practice

— Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Austin Barber appears to be climbing Florida's depth chart. With junior starting left tackle Richard Gouraige currently rehabbing a minor lower-body injury, Barber is working out with the first-team offensive line at right tackle while sophomore tackle Michael Tarquin, who is expected to start on the right side when Gouraige is healthy, slid over to the left. Ethan White, Kingsley Eguakun and O'Cyrus Torrence make up the interior of Florida's first-team offensive line from left to right.

Interesting aside - Barber's height & weight now listed in the official football roster as 6-6, 312 formerly listed at 6-7, 300.
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster/austin-barber/15168

Listed at 6-foot-5 and 415 pounds, sophomore defensive tackle Desmond Watson has been the subject of many fans' inquiries lately with regard to his physical condition. Watson was observed taking multiple breaks on Thursday, the same way he did Wednesday. Florida defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator Sean Spencer said Tuesday that the goal was for Watson to be a more versatile player.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...hristopher-Thomas-Gators-fall-camp-190979556/

Florida's health can also be attributed to dedicated nutrition staff, a department led by director of sports nutrition Kelsee Gomes.

Gomes, who was hired as Florida’s new head nutritionist in December after overseeing the sports nutrition department at North Carolina since 2015, has helped reimagine that aspect of players’ routines.

Some of the highlights: Each player has a certain weight goal posted on their locker with a detailed and regularly-updated meal plan to help them achieve it.
https://247sports.com/college/flori...ocke-Billy-Napier-Gators-fall-camp-190972889/

Last edited:
Fever,

Saw your tweet & opened it
Hoping there is some truth to Desmond Watson making some progress.

Had forgotten about Jordan Herman; looks like he enrolled at UF June 2. At 6-8, 370, he might be big enough to play a few snaps for us.

Who is Jaylen Bass; looks like he signed with Buffalo (?).

Jeff
Pretty negative outlook . Seems your mind is made up, I'll wait and not make assumptions.
micfan,

Why would they bring Chris Thomas back if Desmond Watson is all that & a pack of crackers ?

If Watson was actually making progress about losing the weight & increasing his conditioning, IMO, they would be making definite statements about his improvements as they did when Ethan White fought & won the same battle.

micfan,

Why would they bring Chris Thomas back if Desmond Watson is all that & a pack of crackers ?

If Watson was actually making progress about losing the weight & increasing his conditioning, IMO, they would be making definite statements about his improvements as they did when Ethan White fought & won the same battle.
Jeff
It's fine for us to agree to disagree but your thoughts are all ended IMO. I just say let it play out and be negative about the kid when he doesn't contribute. As of right now I don't know if he has lost weight and is all in working toward a set goal or not, but neither do you.

Reactions: instaGATOR
micfan,

Why was he in on the majority of the snaps for the 1st team defense in the spring game if they don't think he is starter material?

Livin' in the past,,, and lookin' for the bad,,, can just be so tiring at the start of a brand new season,,,, and especially when it just keeps on and on and on about one guys Wt, while ignoring his many other fine attributes as a young player that chose UF over both UA & UG..... 🤓

Fever,

The other players were even worse ?

Why did they play Franks instead of Trask ?

Coaches make bad decisions every game; look at Grantham !

OK but he was plugging things up some when in there which is what you need out of one of the DT's.

Kimber will probably end up starting early in the season for sure now.
That position battle is still far from over in the iG's eyes...

Helm 6-1 170 So
2021 (Redshirt Freshman): Started at defensive back in nine games while appearing in 11 total games, finishing with three pass breakups and 22 tackles (17 solo)… Registered three solo tackles vs. FSU (Nov. 27)… Had one solo tackle at Missouri… Registered four solo tackles against Samford (Nov. 13)… Finished with two solo tackles at LSU (Oct. 16)… Had one pass breakup and five tackles (two solo) vs. Vanderbilt (Oct. 9)… Recorded two tackles (one solo) and one pass breakup against Tennessee (Sept. 25)… Made his third start of the season at defensive back vs. Alabama (Sept. 18), tallying one assisted tackle… Started and registered three total tackles and one pass breakup against South Florida (Sept. 11)… Started at cornerback in the season opener vs. Florida Atlantic (Sept. 4) and recorded one solo tackle.

2020 (Freshman): Made collegiate debut against Oklahoma (Dec. 30) in the Cotton Bowl, where he recorded his first collegiate tackle... Redshirted.

PRIOR TO FLORIDA: Racked up seven interceptions, 16 passes defended, and 44 tackles in 24 career varsity games… Led Fort Bend Marshall to back-to-back UIL Conference 5A Division II State Championship appearances in 2018 and 2019 after an overall record of 29-2… Also played quarterback throughout his high school career… Had over 20 offers from Division I programs, including Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and Utah.

Kimber 6-0 178 rsSo - UGly xfer (missed 2021 at UGly due to shoulder surgery) The #8 corner back nationally, the #17 prospect in Texas, and the #104 overall prospect nationally...ESPN.com four-star, ranked as the #7 CB, #15 in the state, and the #84 nationally...rivals.com four-star, ranked as the #8 CB, #209 player nationally, and the #40 prospect in Texas..

Moore 6-3 198 Fr - EE -- He's been lighting it up since he arrived early at UF.

Prior to Florida
Ranked as a four-star prospect by Rivals and 247Sports...
Invited to the 2022 All-American Bowl...
Named an Adidas All-American...
Posted 24 tackles with 5 interceptions including one pick-six his junior year... Signed with Florida over Alabama, Notre Dame, Auburn and LSU, among others.

Offensive tackle Caden Jones discusses what's next in his recruitment following his second visit with the Florida Gators.

The Gators are hoping to find a diamond in the rough with Jones, as his star rating and ranking reflect a player that is often overlooked. But Jonessize and frame are something you just can’t teach.

OT Caden Jones 6-7 305 *** -- Napier, as well as running backs coach Jabbar Juluke, have grown close with Jones in particular. Juluke especially, as he is from New Orleans as well and coached prep ball in the area, allowing him to develop a personal bond with Jones and other Boot State prospects that many other coaches aren't quite as capable of.

"That really goes a long way because [Juluke] can kind of relate better to me than people can from other places," Jones stated. "Because not everybody is from New Orleans or Louisiana, so it goes a long way."

Additionally, Jones has grown close with offensive line coaches Rob Sale and Darnell Stapleton. The duo envisions Jones as a true offensive tackle in Florida's offense, thanks to his towering frame and length paired with great athleticism for a player of his size.

Jones has recently trimmed down his list of contenders and has placed his focus on Florida, Texas A&M, Texas, FSU and Houston for the rest of the 2023 cycle.

Did anyone see any of the scrimmage ?

Curious, how did Desmond Watson play ?

Still listed at 6-5, 415.

Maybe Shane Matthews will host an offical weigh in for the Utah pre-game show.

Did anyone see any of the scrimmage ?

Curious, how did Desmond Watson play ?

Still listed at 6-5, 415.

Maybe Shane Matthews will host an offical weigh in for the Utah pre-game show.

Being that size doesn't mean he can't play at the college level. You're obsessed with it.

The concerning thing is that his size does tend to lead to being more injury prone.

Reactions: Gator Fever
He's so totally useless fat and stupid that he has zero chance of ever being anything but a drain on the ship count. Fire whichever moronic coach that was stupid enough to waste any time, effort, and money on bringing him in and be done with it. Hell, it's even a bigger waste of time to even be talking about that useless fat slob, just dump him already.... 🙄

(this results when finally have tired of the constant stupidity)

Being that size doesn't mean he can't play at the college level. You're obsessed with it.

The concerning thing is that his size does tend to lead to being more injury prone.

Didn't hear anything about him in the scrimmage write up I saw but they said McClellan was the other DT besides Dexter at first and then Lee.

If he just loses down to his Spring game weight he showed he can stay in there on most possible running downs. Funning thing was at 385 or whatever he was he wasn't the immovable object like he was at over 400 last season on those limited snaps.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT