ADVERTISEMENT

Aug 3 has arrived, so a Fall Practice Report,,,,

instaGATOR

Bull Gator
May 29, 2001
,,,, thread seems an appropriate addition to make.
Every Gator fan can feel free to add to it or comment on what's posted.

1st Day of practice, QB's throwing, granted a very limited look (14-15 Min)...
AR looking like he did in O&B, and so did Miller.....

Henderson and Pearsall both looked good with sharp routes and clean receiving
Play of the Day was still AR to Henderson.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...all-camp-notebook-day-one-2022-ricky-pearsall
==========

Pretty good news here on health:

TE Jonathan Odom - S Dakota Mitchell - LT Richard Gouraige on sidelines in non-contact jerseys.

— Florida appeared to come out of its OTAs in exceptionally good standing from a health standpoint with every member of its scholarship roster in attendance and accounted for by Swamp247. Only three players were wearing non-contact jerseys for the session and all three were present and working out in some capacity, though they were almost certainly limited during more active portions of the practice after media had to exit.

As to the OLB depth questions:

Florida's freshmen newcomers were in attendance and while all looked solid in the first fall camp at the collegiate level, two youngsters stood out quite plainly: outside linebackers Jack Pyburn and Andrew Savaiinaea. Listed at 6-foot-3 and 263 pounds, Pyburn looked every bit of his height and weight with a muscular frame. The same can be said for the 6-foot-3 Savaiinaea, though he looked perhaps very slightly heavier than his listed 261 pounds.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...juries-updates-Billy-Napier-Gators-190934457/
=====

The Devil is in the Details, goes back a long way for the ole iG....
Led my the Military's 7-P's -- Prior-Proper-Planning-Prevents-Piss-Poor-Performance!
A military 'Murphy's Law -- No battle plan survives first contact.

Followed by a Special Forces Motto -- Adapt and Overcome...

Practice (white) socks are among the myriad of details Napier has made a point to intently focus on in his quest to instill a higher level of discipline within his program in the leadup to its first season under his command. Fail to adhere to the team practice dress code and there are consequences, according to Dexter.

“It kind of goes back to that saying, "How you do anything,,, is how you do everything,’” Florida director of strength and conditioning Mark Hocke said. “So I think Coach Napier has some of those little things installed to force the player to kind of think, ‘Am I going to do it the team's way or am I going to do it my way?’ And really that's how it comes down to. You got to get out of yourself, into the team, and be coachable and do what's being asked of you.

Anonymous coach to Athlon Sports: The really unique thing about Napier is that he's always unafraid to do the necessary, ugly football stuff that isn't exciting, but this is a higher platform than he's ever been on as a head coach."

247's Take: Napier's reputation as an ace recruiter and developer of talent proceeds him, but Florida is an injury away at a key position (QB-dt) from being buried near the bottom of the SEC East, as this anonymous coach says.

The iG on that comment: I sure hope that includes Nappy doing what's 'team needed' as to the 2022 and into the future' on the #2 QB behind AR. It's time to put an A-1 all out effort into the rapid development of Max Brown, instead of wasting time and treading water with Miller.

IF the Zookster could do it with Chris Leak as a true Fr starter, then Nappy should be able to at least get close with Brown as a solid true Fr backup.
==========

Florida began the off season with many claiming a mostly empty room at WR.
The iG just didn't see it, even with the obvious losses at all 3 receiver positions.

2021 Receivers gone:

RB Malik Davis - NFL
RB Deamon Pierece - NFL
WR Kadarius Toney - NFL
TE Kemore Gamble - xfer UCF
WR Jacob Copeland - xfer Maryland
WR Rich Wells - Eligibility ended.
=====

Key Top 5 WR's for 2022:

WR Justin Shorter 6-4 233 5th Yr rsJr - 22-Grad, SEC HR
WR Trent Whittemore 6-3 206 rsSo
WR Xzavier Henderson 6-3 195 So
WR Ricky Pearsall 6-1 200 Jr - AzSt xfer & hopefully Copeland's replacement
WR Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 212 rsSo - O&B TD
-----
WR Jordan Pouncey 6-1 217 rsSr - xfer TX
WR Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-4 212 So - 5 Rec, 2 TD's
WR Thai Chiaokhiao-Bowman 6-0 191 So - JuCo xfer
WR Marcus Burke 6-4 183 rsFr - Almost a June xfer out, but stayed.
WR Daejon Reynolds 6-2 204 rsFr - Spring Slot looked good.
WR Kahleil Jackson 6-3 214 rsFr - 3rd Gen Legacy
WR Caleb Douglas 6-3 191 Fr - 4 Star newbee
>>> Plus 6 W-O's
=====

RB's by Super Committee:

Lorenzo Lingard 5th yr rsJr - former 5-star, Mia xfer
Na'Quan Wright 4th yr rsSo - Doak Walker List, 3x SEC HR
Montrell Johnson So - Sun Belt Fr PoY
Trevor Etienne 5-9 217 Fr - A Top 4-star Power back.
Eddie Battle 5-11 225 rsSr - PWO xfer SW-MizSt
>>> Plus 3 W-O's

TE's - Nappy likes to use 2 TE's
Spring fill-in for 3 injured TE's:

Dante Zanders 6-5 262 rsJr (back from DE) got a chance
Griffin McDowell 6-4 288 rsJr (back from DE) mostly block.
Noah Keeter 6-5 230 rsSo - UCLA xfer (former OLB) Like Elksnis?

-----
Keon Zipperer 6-1 246 Jr - Starter, routes and hands, UA-AA
Jonathan Odom 6-5 237 So - soft hands & +blocker
Nick Elksnis 6-6 234 rsFr - fast, good receiver (Pitts 2.0?)
-----
Arlis Boardingham 6-3 235 Fr - Like Keon?
Hayden Hansen 6-6 256 Fr - Like Zanders?
OT/TE Tony Livingston 6-6 270 Fr - signed LOI, where the heck is he?

>>> Loaded at TE, but lots to sort out in Fall Practice....

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthJerseyGator

The RB that the iG most wants to see have a great (injury free) season in 2022 is Nay'Quan Wright. I've loved this kid since he was recruited out of Miami, as he is a 4.0 person all the way around, not just on the football field. A great kid from a great family.

He was named to the Wuerffel Trophy Watch List.
Then named to the Doak Walker Watch List.
He's a 4th Yr So, and this short article is certainly worth a read....

Injuries to any key star player positions is always going to hurt you at the SEC level of play.
Well Duh!

Last edited:
Injuries to any key star player positions is is always going to hurt you at the SEC level of play.
Well Duh!

Yep but trying to think where I would feel as nervous in past years if we lost our top DT but maybe one of the younger guys will surprise. Nothing stood out in the spring game though with them.

Meanwhile FSUs center is tearing his ACL in practice.....lovely

Edit: might not be now, I see our messaging about injuries is as good as our team.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gator Fever
Gator players get some recovery Fall down time.

I believe I read that they resume Fall practice in full pads on Tues...

Reactions: fsu939913
If the reports on the Summer Phases have been accurate, they should all be fit an ready to get after it this coming week.

Still waiting to see who emerges on the defensive line. We got killed there last year.

Still waiting to see who emerges on the defensive line. We got killed there last year.

I will be happy if Watson can at least play enough to be a run stuffer and someone emerges at DE. By DE I mean the guy at the end of the line that is being blocked by the tackle usually and not a guard - while they play inside an OLB or whatever term they use for it in this system.

Last edited:

A Watson sighting. He looks a little bigger than the spring game I would say. Hopefully he can lose 15 - 20 pounds in camp before Utah.

The constant over-weight broken record BS needs to end, here and now.

Just STFU about it and let the kid play his way through things, or not.
The constant harping on it is not a positive or helpful in any way....
🤓

Reactions: seffnergator

🤓

Give people a break and don't have double standards. Of course his weight is discussed on all these internet forums. He will be able to play meaningful snaps if he gets it down a little just as he did in the spring game.

Give people a break and don't have double standards.
How bout you follow your own advice and give Watson a break from your constant every day whining and bitching....

That, or explain to me how you are being in any way helpful of the situation....
🤓

🤓
I won't speak of Watson's weight(not that I ever have) if you don't crap on Jack Miller.😵

I won't speak of Watson's weight(not that I ever have) if you don't crap on Jack Miller.😵
TG, go review what I've actually said in my few posts on the Miller vs Brown deal.

I've said that if Miller wins the job, then fine with me and I'll be good with him proving me incorrect. More power to him to do so.

I don't know either of them personally, so I have no real dog in the fight. I stated which I personally liked better after reviewing their film and stats as a QB-dt behind AR-15.

Just like I expected Brown, who didn't arrive until Summer to lag behind somewhat to begin the season with. I also said that I'd have rather kept QB-dt Del Rio-Wilson, than bring in yet another xfer-in QB, which I greatly tired of under McLame. Just me, NBD for either of them.... In fact, I'd be okay with Kitna beating them both out if he can do it, I like that kid too as a passer, but he, like Miller, is not a real QB-dt the way Brown is.

Nobody brings up Miller and I don't comment on that situation. Bring it up and I might have a comment, depending on what's being said or claimed.... Good wid-U?

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Fall Practice Day 7, OL's in 2 strings:

1) LT Gourage - LG White - OC Equakun - RG Torrence - RT Tarquin
(that's as most of us had expected)

2) LT Herman - LG Leonard IV - OC Slaghter - RG Braun - RT Barber
(a little difference seems to be brewing here)

Braun or Barber will occasionally be a 6th Jumbo OL outside the RT or LT.
Expect the occasional six-man OL packages in power rushing schemes, especially near the goal-line or perhaps the line to gain.

Media reports during the first 14 minutes of practice are very vanilla and lack much hard contact details,,, on purpose and for good reasons.

Returned to full participation: TE Jonathan Odom, NT Desmond Watson, DL Tyreak Sapp. Still out CB Jaydon Hill, for the foreseeable future.

Burney, Marshall, and Pearsall were in non-contact jerseys.

Sophomore NT Desmond Watson returned to full participation in Thursday's practice session and participated in skill development groups. During Tuesday's session, Watson was observed in a non-contact jersey while doing a sled push exercise on the sideline with a Florida athletic trainer. Watson was observed participating in chute drills and TEK sled drills with his fellow D-linemen.

How bout you follow your own advice and give Watson a break from your constant every day whining and bitching....

That, or explain to me how you are being in any way helpful of the situation....
🤓

I am not constant whining on Watson. Heck I said he showed in the spring he can play some reps at a high weight but I can see why people are worried about the weight some. Feel free to stop discussing any players issues yourself if you want though.

Fever, we'll both continue as we choose, so I guess that's that....
You harp at him and I'll bitch back at U, both wasting our time on a useless subject.....
🙄

The scrimmage was sloppy at times for the offense as AR threw a couple of picks supposedly. Did take off for some nice runs though. Didn't see Watson mentioned when talking the D line but maybe he just didn't mention him.

Last edited:
The TE Depth Chart is beginning to take shape, but is certainly not cast in stone yet.

1's - Zipper & Zanders
2's - Odom & Elksnis
With the rest working for some position playing time.

Depth Charts for all positions will begin to settle out somewhat in this coming week, with the competition for the 1-2 spots getting intense.

Punter Jeremy Crawshaw is the solid #1.
Kicker is still a battle between incoming Fr Trey Smack & Spring WO surprise Adam Mihalek (made 48 & 52 Yd FG's)

Punt Receivers still a battle between WR Henderson, RB Wright, RB Etienne.

Whittemore is still the iG's favorite WR, but the others are all coming along.

Pearsall & Chiaokhiao-Bowman seem to be good xfer additions. But don't sleep on Shorter, Henderson, and Weston, with the young guys working hard.
Pearsall can be a nice add, but he was never going to 'make or break' the 2022 Gator WR's imo....

The Gator pass defense is going to make things real difficult for every team they play. Marshall & Kimber, then Moore and Young have been a nice surprise. There are 10 guys that can cover the 2 CB's, 2 S's, and the Nic without much drop off among them.

For those that won't stop harping on the Gator 2021 OL, and what to expect from the 2022 group, there's this: Florida’s OL blocked for a unit that averaged 209 rushing yards per game in 2021, good for 21st nationally and 4th in the SEC. Pass blocking was also a strong suit of the group, allowing just 14 sacks last season, 7th best in the FBS. The lone starter that wasn’t with the Gators last season, RG Torrence, earned a 1st-team All-Sun Belt nomination at Louisiana.

ADVERTISEMENT