ADVERTISEMENT

Applebee's executive sees silver lining in higher gas prices....

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

The restaurant on south Iowa Street was closed for large parts of Tuesday because of high gasoline prices, but perhaps not for the reasons you would think. Multiple employees of the chain quit after seeing an email from a regional manager urging the restaurant to begin hiring employees at lower wages, under the theory that people are becoming more desperate to take a job as fuel prices increase.

“Everyone has heard that gas prices continue to rise,” read an email that came from the account of Wayne Pankratz, executive director of operations for Applebee’s franchisee Apple Central LLC. “The advantage this has for us is that it will increase application flow and has the potential to lower our average wage. How you ask?

“Most of our employee base and potential employee base live paycheck to paycheck. Any increase in gas price cuts into their disposable income. As inflation continues to climb and gas prices continue to go up, that means more hours employees will need to work to maintain their current level of living.”-
----------------------------------------

Crazy he was dumb enough to put that out there.

Also it seems a lot of younger people are just bumming at their parents home playing video games and hardly working and aren't counted as unemployed. I think I read more 18-34 year old males are living with their parents than with a wife or girlfriend. That is a really crazy stat if true.

The restaurant on south Iowa Street was closed for large parts of Tuesday because of high gasoline prices, but perhaps not for the reasons you would think. Multiple employees of the chain quit after seeing an email from a regional manager urging the restaurant to begin hiring employees at lower wages, under the theory that people are becoming more desperate to take a job as fuel prices increase.

“Everyone has heard that gas prices continue to rise,” read an email that came from the account of Wayne Pankratz, executive director of operations for Applebee’s franchisee Apple Central LLC. “The advantage this has for us is that it will increase application flow and has the potential to lower our average wage. How you ask?

“Most of our employee base and potential employee base live paycheck to paycheck. Any increase in gas price cuts into their disposable income. As inflation continues to climb and gas prices continue to go up, that means more hours employees will need to work to maintain their current level of living.”-
----------------------------------------

Crazy he was dumb enough to put that out there.

Also it seems a lot of younger people are just bumming at their parents home playing video games and hardly working and aren't counted as unemployed. I think I read more 18-34 year old males are living with their parents than with a wife or girlfriend. That is a really crazy stat if true.

basically saying its getting their ass back to work

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT