ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on Grimes and Jefferson?

No. And I'd expect the web to 'blow-up' with that news when it comes out, good or bad.

I would be really surprised if Jefferson doesn't get allowed to play this season. We will have a nice WR corps this year especially if we get both of them and with Cleveland.

Last edited:
They will both likely be cleared by NCAA, but it won’t come until the week of the opener, early August at best. It’s how they roll on eligibility issues.

Spending so much time and effort on Van/Grimes is a big risk. -- IMOHO, this hinders roster eligible WR's development, the same way that a Grad-xfer QB hinders young QB development. :cool:

09. WR Dre Massey 5-9 186 rsSr (JuCo)
89. WR Tyrie Cleveland 6-2 205 Jr
16. WR Freddie Swain 6-0 194 Jr
10. WR Josh Hammond 6-1 187 Jr
83. WR Rick Wells 6-0 202 rsSo (K-9)
18. WR Daquon Green 6-1 195 So (UK & Miz, 0 catches)
17. ATH Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 So (WR/RB/QB/KR - Human Joystick)
??. WR Jacob Copeland 6-0 192 Fr - UA-AA, Pensacola, FL
All 7 of the above WR's are consensus 4 star rated, and Ath Toney should have been.

87. WR Van Jefferson 6-2 195 rsJr ****
EE Fr All SEC (Ms xfer, needs waiver)

81. WR Trevon Grimes 6-4 202 So *****
EE (tOSU xfer, needs waiver)

I'd rather spend the individual coaching, and the majority of the practice reps on these 4, because they are already eligible for 2018 for sure. o_O

83. WR Rick Wells 6-0 202 rsSo ****
18. WR Daquon Green 6-1 195 So ****
??. WR Jacob Copeland 6-0 192 Fr **** - UA-AA, Pensacola, FL

Spending so much time and effort on Van/Grimes is a big risk. -- IMOHO, this hinders roster eligible WR's development, the same way that a Grad-xfer QB hinders young QB development. :cool:

All 7 of the above WR's are consensus 4 star rated, and Ath Toney should have been.

I'd rather spend the individual coaching, and the majority of the practice reps on these 4, because they are already eligible for 2018 for sure. o_O

Maybe but without those 2 we have real limited WRs for the most part.

I would hope the staff could draw up some plays with the likes of Massey, Toney, Cleveland, Swain, and Hammonds, plus Green, Copeland, and Wells. Add in some TE depth.

I guess I am just remembering hearing about how the WRs were going to break out under the past couple of coaches. I do think Cleveland along with these 2 receivers would be a formidable group however especially if Grimes turns out to be pretty good.

I guess I am just remembering hearing about how the WRs were going to break out under the past couple of coaches. I do think Cleveland along with these 2 receivers would be a formidable group however especially if Grimes turns out to be pretty good.

We need both Jefferson and Grimes. It's no coincidence they were the best in the team the moment they stepped on campus. The other guys we have are mediocre. Guys like Hammond and Swain are slow and then Cleveland has inconsistent hands. Toney is still learning the position also.

That's very true but the last two coaching staffs wouldn't have been able to make Randy Moss, Tom Brady, and Barry Sanders stars or produce a good offense.

But yes as @oozie7 pointed out...there is a reason these two have been the best WR's.

Franks has become buddy-buddy with Van since his arrival, and he often locks in on Van, giving him more chances to make a catch. The same goes with Lewis at TE.

Trask seems to me to better follow the plays progressions and he makes the reads, spreading the ball around to the correct receiver more often, IF the OL gives him the time and a receiver comes open.

For now, E.Jones will make the quick first, and occasionally the 2nd read, and then run it. That's not wrong, it's what a DT-QB most often does, and especially a young 1-2 year player. If the OL gives him time and he continues to develop, over time he will throw more often than run.

IMO, the Gator receivers have suffered even more than the QB's from poor coaching and a near constant turnover in receiving coaches. Give BillyG a little time and the under-performing receivers that were ALL 4 stars coming out of HS may see a quantum leap in their output. That's of course dependent on the OL and the QB also raising up their game. It's not just Mullen, but as much or more depends on the various position coaches all working together to get it done. I think they can, but it does remain to be seen for now... :cool:

I, also, think we need Jefferson & Grimes, as they are probably better than any other WR's on the roster. We've had trouble for years getting guys open. Much of that is simply lack of talent, some of it may be poor coaching and play calling. Also, our QB's seldom move the safeties with their eyes and tend to lock on the primary receiver. I think Mullen & staff will get more out of the passing game than Muschamp or McElwain did, but it would help a lot of Jefferson & Grimes could play.

Last edited:
Both of those 2 xfers are quality receivers, but I think that those pushing them the most are short-selling the others that are already on the 'eligible' roster. Also, the one's pushing VJ & Grimes are acting like it's a sure thing that both will get the NCAA waivers. Ignoring 7-8 birds in the hand, for 1-2 birds still in the NCAA's bush, just doesn't make good forward planning in my book. :confused:

I look at the 2 xfers as possible icing on the WR cake, not as the already sliced and served dessert. o_O

BTW, with a worse supporting team and coaches, Cleveland has as good of stats as Van has.
While Grimes only played sparingly in 2 games as a tFr at tOSU. (zero SEC experience)

According to the 247 Composite Rankings:

#12 WR Jacob Copeland 6-0 192 Fr **** 0.9651 69/250
#16 WR Justin Watkins 5-11 172 Fr **** 0.9567 89/250
-----
#6 WR Trevon Grimes 6-5 214 So ***** 0.9806 41/250 (J.Allen was his QB)
#33 WR Daquon Green 6-1 195 So **** 0.9102 239/250
#25 Ath/WR Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 *** 0.8790 421 (way under-rated)
-----
#3 WR Tyrie Cleveland 6-2 205 Jr **** 0.9810 34/250
#11 WR Van Jefferson 6-2 192 rsJr **** 0.9517 106/250

#22 WR Freddie Swain 6-0 194 Jr **** 0.9423 127/250
#31 WR Joshua Hammond 6-1 187 Jr **** 0.8963 307
#82 WR Rick Wells 6-0 202 rsSo *** 0.8727 467
#5 WR Dre Massey 5-9 186 4.35/40 *** rsSr 0.8835 (27/50 Juco 5 star)

What I would have been doing all along with the WR's.
Start the one's that perform the best in practice, to begin with.
When they run an incorrect route, miss a block, drop a ball, etc, then they go have a seat.
Next guy on the depth chart gets his shot,,, and so on, down the list.
Playing time for 'on the field performance' not for butt-kissin' the coaches or practice rah-rah. :cool:
Let the cream rise to the top, and the bs settle to the bottom. o_O

Last edited:
Lol insta is so transparent.

He doesn't like transfer anything so he links Van and Franks together and then starts his next paragraph describing how amazing Trask is.

But he doesn't have a favorite.

Board Stalkers don't exist any more than Ancient Aliens or UFO's do.... :cool:

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Keep on crying on crying, sweetie.

Nobody cares.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz
Are your dunny goater posts a short cut key macro or just copy and paste? Alas, if only we all had a dollar for every time we saw one.....

WR Van Jefferson's 'NCAA appeal' is looking better imo. IF they clear Patterson to Mich (as it's currently rumored to be close to happening), then I can't see them not also clearing Van to UF, but it being the NCAA,,, we'll see.... :rolleyes:

"Jefferson totaled 91 catches for 999 yds (11.0 yds/rec) and 4 TD's over 2 seasons at Ole Miss. His 42 catches for 456 yds (10.9 yds/rec) last season are more than any other receiver on Florida’s current roster." - SEC-Country article.

Note: Cleveland totaled 36 catches for 708 yds, (19.7 yds/rec) and 4 TD's over 2 season at UF. His 22 Rec for 410 yds (18.6 yds/rec) in 2017 were the best on the team. Unlike with Van at Miss, the dink & dunk junk receptions went to other players on the team. This is a bit like the difference between Lewis and Stephens.

I like Jefferson and I'm real glad that Mullen signed him to UF, but Cleveland is a 3rd year Gator with almost twice the Yds/Rec as Van had in the pass happy Ole Miss system.

Lewis Career - 29 for 301 yds (10.4 yds/rec) 5 TD's
2017 - 7 for 42 yds, (6.0 yds/rec) 1 TD, L-14 yds.

Stephens Career - 13 for 270 yds (20.8 yds/rec) 0 TD's
2017 - 6 for 141 yds (23.5 yds/rec) 0 TD, L-63 yds.
~ Stephens 63 yd rec tied Cleveland for the longest rec of the season.

* Demonstrating the 'gross TE use incompetence' of the previous coaches.... :mad:
=====

Recruiting Note:
Still possible, former UF commit WR John Dunmore, and 'Percy' WR/RB Mark-Anthony Richards, would top-out the 2019 WR position nicely imo. ;)

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

( To the tune of a certain song heard in Neyland Stadium)

Once there was a man named Instanoob
He lived in a trailer park.
Because he was skeered of Bigfoots and UFO's
He wouldn't go out after dark

When he was in school he was given an I.Q. test
He failed it really bad
When he got to the line where it said sex
He said "Sheep is the best I ever had."

Ole Instanoob you'll always be
A dipwad to me
Insane old Instanoob
Chased out of Tallahassee
Chased out of Tallahassee

Last edited:
The off-season tennis-sea troll will run his village idiot mouth, right up to playing poorly and losing yet again to the mighty Gators in Sept.

Not only is his V-I attempt at smack stupid, but he's boring to go with it.... :rolleyes:
The Mad-Dog-dollie comes here, mostly because he's ignored and/or dissed constantly on his own rubber-dollie boards. And as his wife (granny-Clampit) says,,, plumb-pitiful.... :oops:

PS

SEC NFL 1st Rnd draft picks over the past decade:

22 UA
14 UF
11 LSU
-----
9 aTm
8 Mizz
7 UGly
7 Tenn

6 Miss
-----
4 AU
3 SCa
2 MsSt
2 Ark
1 UK
1 VU
=====

UF with as many as the rubber-dollies and the butt-sniffers have combined.... :cool:

Last edited:
The off-season tennis-sea troll will run his village idiot mouth, right up to playing poorly and losing yet again to the mighty Gators in Sept.

Not only is his V-I attempt as smack stupid, but he's boring to go with it.... :rolleyes:
The Mad-Dog-dollie comes here, mostly because he's ignored and/or dissed constantly on his own rubber-dollie boards. And as his wife (granny-Clampit) says,,, plumb-pitiful.... :oops:

PS

SEC NFL 1st Rnd draft picks over the past decade:

22 UA
14 UF
11 LSU
-----
9 aTm
8 Mizz
7 UGly
7 Tenn

6 Miss
-----
4 AU
3 SCa
2 MsSt
2 Ark
1 UK
1 VU
=====

UF with as many as the rubber-dollies and the butt-sniffers have combined.... :cool:

Alvin Kamara was drafted by the Saints in the 3rd round. last season

In spite of being the Saint's # 2 RB, he was the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.
Vol 1st round pick by the Eagles Derrick Barnett was the guy who recovered the game WINNING fumble in last year's Super Bowl.

Ain't so much as where one was drafted but what they do with the opportunity.

How many of them 14 1st rounders are still with the teams that drafted them, in the starting line-up or even still in the NFL?

We know that none of them are NFL rookies of the year, Super Bowl winning Q/Bs or 5 time MVPs. Those truths are self evident.

Besides, why are you bring up the NFL in a thread about transfer players and your inability to make up any rhyme other than the one you stole and use against Dannygator while I run rings around your untalented arse?

Yep, rival troll, usually drunk hillbilly village idiot is confirmed yet again. o_O

Begging for attention from his betters and whining in the basement when he doesn't get the validation that he so desperately seeks,,, 'plumb-pitiful' really does not cover it.... :cool:

Yep, rival troll, usually drunk hillbilly village idiot is confirmed yet again. o_O

Begging for attention from his betters and whining in the basement when he doesn't get the validation that he so desperately seeks,,, 'plumb-pitiful' really does not cover it.... :cool:

All them probes you've been getting down at the Blue Oyster Club are leaving you even less comprehensible than usual.

Or are you having one of those PMS, er I mean LSD flashbacks?

Last edited:
Former Ole Miss quarterback Shea Patterson will, in fact,
be immediately eligible to play for Michigan this season.
The university made the announcement on Friday (4-27-18 4:55 PM) in a joint statement with Ole Miss citing the NCAA Division I Council's recent amendment to transfer waiver guidelines.

Are Miss and UF doing the same for Van? (how much $$ changed hands as they (Miss/Mich) 'worked-out' the details?

"Following notification of this change, the University of Mississippi promptly reached out to the University of Michigan, to discuss how these new standards could impact the University of Mississippi's support of a transfer student-athlete's desire to compete immediately at the University of Michigan," the statement read. "The University of Mississippi and the University of Michigan have worked together over the last several days in conjunction with the NCAA national office staff, and with a focus on the best interest of the student-athlete, to put forward a new waiver application. That new application was submitted this week by the University of Michigan and $upported by both schools. The University of Michigan has withdrawn its previous waiver application and all associated materials in favor of this new, cooperative approach based on facts which all parties agree to. The waiver has now been approved by the NCAA and thus football student-athlete Shea Patterson will be eligible to compete in the 2018-19 academic year.

Use the link for the whole article on Shea. (and you're all welcome) ;)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ate-eligibility-to-play-for-michigan-in-2018/

Last edited:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/05/10/ole-miss-transfers-eligible/600410002/

Five more former Ole Miss football players have been granted immediate eligibility at their new schools this fall, according to attorney Thomas Mars, who represented four of them.

Safety Deontay Anderson (Houston), receiver Tre Nixon (UCF), linebacker Jarrion Street (UAB), offensive tackle Jack DeFoor (Georgia Tech) and linebacker Breon Dixon (Nebraska) will not have to sit out the 2018 season after going through the same revised NCAA waiver process that allowed quarterback Shea Patterson to become eligible right away after transferring to Michigan. (Dixon was not represented by Mars.)

Mars said Florida has not yet submitted its waiver application on receiver Van Jefferson, so there is no immediate ruling on his eligibility.

Florida hasn't submitted its waiver request.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/05/10/ole-miss-transfers-eligible/600410002/

Five more former Ole Miss football players have been granted immediate eligibility at their new schools this fall, according to attorney Thomas Mars, who represented four of them.

Mars said
Florida has not yet submitted its waiver application on receiver Van Jefferson,
so there is no immediate ruling on his eligibility.

WTF???

Reactions: Gator Fever

Safety Deontay Anderson (Houston), receiver Tre Nixon (UCF), linebacker Jarrion Street (UAB), offensive tackle Jack DeFoor (Georgia Tech) and linebacker Breon Dixon (Nebraska) will not have to sit out the 2018 season after going through the same revised NCAA waiver process that allowed quarterback Shea Patterson to become eligible right away after transferring to Michigan. (Dixon was not represented by Mars.)

Mars said Florida has not yet submitted its waiver application on receiver Van Jefferson, so there is no immediate ruling on his eligibility.

Yeah WTF????

Reactions: Gator Fever

Bringing in 2 superbly talented receivers is being painted as a bad thing? This is going to be fun.

The main difference is that all those other players transferred to schools outside the SEC. UF has to make the case that they should be allowed to play immediately within the same conference and are taking more time building their argument. The NCAA is extremely unpredictable.

Bringing in 2 superbly talented receivers is being painted as a bad thing? This is going to be fun.
Eligibility is the question, not the otherwise value of those to xfer WR's.
IF they end up not getting their NCAA waivers, then spending so much practice time on them, to the determent of other already 'eligible' WR would be the negative. :cool: --- (no need to be a turd in the punch-bowl about it) o_O

Eligibility is the question, not the otherwise value of those to xfer WR's.
IF they end up not getting their NCAA waivers, then spending so much practice time on them, to the determent of other already 'eligible' WR would be the negative. :cool: --- (no need to be a turd in the punch-bowl about it) o_O

Realistically speaking, they won’t eat up any meaningful practice time. And it’ll only help the defense, especially the DB’s.

Realistically speaking, they won’t eat up any meaningful practice time. And it’ll only help the defense, especially the DB’s.

I think that the other 'already eligible' roster WR might disagree with you, especially the younger guys, but that's jmoho. :cool:

Not intended as any kind of a negative on Van, just information to consider.

From an article on Jefferson's xfer to UF:
"Van Jefferson 6-2 192 rsJr totaled 91 catches for 999 yards and 4 TD's over his 2 seasons at Ole Miss. His 42 catches for 456 yds, 2 TD's last season are more than any other receiver on Florida’s current roster."

Tyrie Cleveland 6-2 205 Jr -- The #2 WR coming out of HS
In 2017 with UF's excuse for QB's and a Nuss-fence, played in 10 games with 8 starts.
22 for 410 yds, 18.6 yds/rec with 2 TD's.
(Van had 20 more catches, but only 46 more yards at Ole Miss in 2017)

Tyrie in 2016, 11 gms, with only 4 starts:
14 for 298 yds, 27.1 yds/rec with 2 TD's.

For a 2 year Stat comparison of the two WR's:

In Tyrie's 2 UF seasons:
36 for 708 yds, 19.7 yds/rec with 4 TD's.

In Van's 2 Miss season:
91 for 999 yds, 11.0 yds/rec with 4 TD's.

So imoho, Tyrie is not chopped liver, o_O and neither are some of UF's other roster WR's. With Dan's offense and BillyG as WR's coach, we've yet to see who among them all, will be the cream that floats to the top for 2018... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT