ADVERTISEMENT

And....Here....We....Go

In the early eighties, Robert Mugabe took over the African continent's crown jewel health care system. Obama used similar tactics in his efforts to take over the U. S. system.

Lamumba was an empty suit. Mobutu saw the state treasury as his personal account. Kasavubu blamed all the country's ills on the press (Fox News?) and predecessors. Sound familiar?

The 4 fathers of Owebama

I would agree if this were just some wild goose chase. But there is plenty of testimony from his his lawyers and CFO that his financial dealings are not on the up and up. If he weren’t president, that would be enough evidence to already be required to hand over these records.

There was "plenty" of evidence for the birthers in 2010 and, more recently, plenty of testimony and evidence of Trump/Russia collusion as well. Or was there? Hint...no, there wasn't.

This is the very definition of a wild goose chase. If and when it blows up there will be another. Guess what...his political opponents would cry if he didn't cooperate with the next one....even if he stupidly cooperated with this one.

My only response was with regards to the OPs claim that his retraction means the story was not true. No, it doesn’t.

And my response to you was that proving a negative is an absurd and ridiculous standard. And if the shoe was on the other foot and the right wanted a Dem POTUS to prove a negative you would think they were being ridiculous.

You would be right btw.

If we enter a recession, it will be because of Trumps dumb trade policies, not because some Dems “want” it to happen.

But that's not happening. And our economy has and is expanding due to the rollback of ridiculous regulations and inept bargaining standards by previous administrations...including W's.

Complain away about what you think (or have been told) might happen but what is happening is pretty freaking terrific; at least in my portfolio. I don't believe mine is the exception.

China's economy is sluggish and we're in the perfect position to bargain. That may not be the case in 5 or 10 years. We may not get another opportunity like this for decades. We may not get everything we want from them but our current trade imbalance is unsustainable. If we don't reverse this course to at least some degree we are up a creek. More accurately my unborn grandchildren are up a creek.

China has much more to lose and that is why they're at least engaging. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: gatordad3
China is funding their gigantic and impressive military expansion and upgrade almost exclusively using our trade imbalance. That trade imbalance is fueled by unfair (and oftentimes immoral) trade practices. To not demand a reset is unthinkable.

It won't just be bad for Americans btw. The entire global community outside of China, whether they realize it or not, are depending on us getting this right...or at least right-er. US-China military parody would be disastrous for everyone save China.

Reactions: nail1988
But that's not happening. And our economy has and is expanding due to the rollback of ridiculous regulations and inept bargaining standards by previous administrations...including W's.

Complain away about what you think (or have been told) might happen but what is happening is pretty freaking terrific; at least in my portfolio. I don't believe mine is the exception.

China's economy is sluggish and we're in the perfect position to bargain. That may not be the case in 5 or 10 years. We may not get another opportunity like this for decades. We may not get everything we want from them but our current trade imbalance is unsustainable. If we don't reverse this course to at least some degree we are up a creek. More accurately my unborn grandchildren are up a creek.

China has much more to lose and that is why they're at least engaging. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

You bring up some interesting points...well written.
But I do believe unless the unfederal reserve and other central banks get their act(s) together...I do see a recession coming our way...and it would not surprise myself to see it before the 2020 election...and I still believe after the Holidays...things could start to unravel a bit...how Trump handles things will be key to his election.
As I see it...the USA is a lesser victim of it's debt level...a bigger victim of unfair trade pacts...and an even larger potential victim of unsound banking policies (the central banks)...and IF the OROB (China's One Road One Belt) grows stronger in influence and the de dollarization trend continues and or picks up steam...we could be in for quite a mess.
I still believe it's a good thing to consider "recession proof stocks" for those who (myself included) are wary and suspicious of the market trends.
Folks remember Bernanke's "the subprime lending issues are contained and won't affect the markets & economy (paraphrased)."
And we are well positioned to remember so many during the "house-flipping" mania believing housing would never go down in value.
And now to paraphrase Alan Greenspan..."if we're not in irrational exuberance"...then what are we in?
So @BamaFan1137...I hope you are seeing things that I do not see, cannot see, or cannot fathom seeing...I'm one of those folks who preservation of capital is more meaningful than the chance/risk of the stock market today.
Herr Sunburndt Indianer is correct..."we're always headed for a recession."...and we're also always headed towards a bull market...we're simply always headed to something, somewhere.
Call me suspicious...I am.
And @BamaFan1137 ...I wish you lotsa mawney!

Agent Orange

You bring up some interesting points...well written.
But I do believe unless the unfederal reserve and other central banks get their act(s) together...I do see a recession coming our way...and it would not surprise myself to see it before the 2020 election...and I still believe after the Holidays...things could start to unravel a bit...how Trump handles things will be key to his election.
As I see it...the USA is a lesser victim of it's debt level...a bigger victim of unfair trade pacts...and an even larger potential victim of unsound banking policies (the central banks)...and IF the OROB (China's One Road One Belt) grows stronger in influence and the de dollarization trend continues and or picks up steam...we could be in for quite a mess.
I still believe it's a good thing to consider "recession proof stocks" for those who (myself included) are wary and suspicious of the market trends.
Folks remember Bernanke's "the subprime lending issues are contained and won't affect the markets & economy (paraphrased)."
And we are well positioned to remember so many during the "house-flipping" mania believing housing would never go down in value.
And now to paraphrase Alan Greenspan..."if we're not in irrational exuberance"...then what are we in?
So @BamaFan1137...I hope you are seeing things that I do not see, cannot see, or cannot fathom seeing...I'm one of those folks who preservation of capital is more meaningful than the chance/risk of the stock market today.
Herr Sunburndt Indianer is correct..."we're always headed for a recession."...and we're also always headed towards a bull market...we're simply always headed to something, somewhere.
Call me suspicious...I am.
And @BamaFan1137 ...I wish you lotsa mawney!

Agent Orange

A lot of that risk-reward is mitigated or exacerbated by age, career track and our work/life plan. I'm in a position where the risk is manageable. My father isn't so he needs a more conservative plan.

I worry about the fed too, and maybe I'm naive, but I believe money talks and BS walks. Capitalism works because of greed. I think "greed" and self-preservation will win the day over partisanship and fear. How close to the fire will the banks dance before they react? That's literally a trillion dollar question but I'm putting my faith on human nature...good or bad. Not sure how long it will last but we must find a way to reduce our debt load if we are to avoid recession.

Debt load and foreign monetary manipulation scare me too. I'm always suspicious of China so One Road feels unpredictable to me as an American but China makes sh!t and no one buys more sh!t than we do. They have a vested interest in that continuing.

It's an oversimplification but China is Walmart and we're the fat slobs walking their aisles. It's a symbiotic relationship and our purchasing power is just as important to them as it is to us.

Im going do give you one more chance. See if you can answer just one question.

Do you really think all of Trumps tax returns are still under audit?

I have read your back and forth with @GhostOfMatchesMalone and others with increasing interest over DJT's tax returns and such...and since you and he (@GhostOfMatchesMalone and a few others cannot find agreement or a proper starting or ending point where this is concerned....I thought I'd share this tidbit with you:

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

There may not be an answer to your concern, after all.

But then again, does there really have to be an answer?

And would you accept the answer if it didn't fit your original belief?

Agent Orange

A lot of that risk-reward is mitigated or exacerbated by age, career track and our work/life plan. I'm in a position where the risk is manageable. My father isn't so he needs a more conservative plan.

I worry about the fed too, and maybe I'm naive, but I believe money talks and BS walks. Capitalism works because of greed. I think "greed" and self-preservation will win the day over partisanship and fear. How close to the fire will the banks dance before they react? That's literally a trillion dollar question but I'm putting my faith on human nature...good or bad. Not sure how long it will last but we must find a way to reduce our debt load if we are to avoid recession.

Debt load and foreign monetary manipulation scare me too. I'm always suspicious of China so One Road feels unpredictable to me as an American but China makes sh!t and no one buys more sh!t than we do. They have a vested interest in that continuing.

It's an oversimplification but China is Walmart and we're the fat slobs walking their aisles. It's a symbiotic relationship and our purchasing power is just as important to them as it is to us.

Excellent post, @BamaFan1137 .
Your last paragraph is very useful and instructive.
Yes, there is quite the symbiotic relationship between us and the Chinese.
But there is a war of minds and commerce between the US and China, as you know.
You know (as I do) China is much the surveillance state.
And you remember the attempts of the Chinese government to watch, control, and dissipate the Muslim Uyghurs (sp?) of western China and their concerns over the recent Hong Kong protests.
It's all about nationalism and control, IMO.
And it's about "saving face" as well.
Losing face would be a devastating blow to the aspirations of the current Chinese government...which could lead to unrest, lack of cohesion, and more.
The Chinese people from my understanding are more nationalistic than their American counterparts.
And while we (or many of us) are rightfully concerned about trade agreements...China's fear of losing face might well be something our negotiators are unequipped to deal with.
So we shall see.
China is currently signing more trade deals with Germany and the E.U.
They (China) might need us now.
But will they need us later?
China and other countries are dumping UST bonds and trading in national/regional currencies.
So...just who really needs who the most?
And will the Yuan become a major reserve currency sometime soon?
If so...the USD will become less relevant with time.
Gonna be interesting to see what all transpires.
Again, excellent post.

Agent Orange

I have read your back and forth with @GhostOfMatchesMalone and others with increasing interest over DJT's tax returns and such...and since you and he (@GhostOfMatchesMalone and a few others cannot find agreement or a proper starting or ending point where this is concerned....I thought I'd share this tidbit with you:

Agent Orange

There may not be, but you’re still missing the point. It’s a reasonable point of interest to understand how the person who sets tax policy will personally benefit. That goes for whoever is president, but especially one who supposedly has so much to gain.

I’m sure you wouldn’t be so defensive if we were asking about Clinton’s tax returns, or her foundation, or other areas where she would benefit. You’d probably be first in line asking for this information.

PS. You’re tidbit makes no sense in this context.

Agent Orange

Auditing process for incoming Presidents was set long before Trump decided to run. Only fair to apply same standard to Trump as has been applied to Presidents before him.

But dems aren't interested in fair, they want a do-over of an election they lost. Poor babies. Cow farts will kill us all in 12 years and this is the shit they are worried about.

Oh, I see, when you believed in the phantom recession your portfolio was in dire straits.:rolleyes:
Now all is good. Got it.
No, it still is a real possibility. Probably 50%. It’s affecting corporate America, it just hasn’t hit consumer spending yet.

Oh, I see, when you believed in the phantom recession your portfolio was in dire straits.:rolleyes:
Now all is good. Got it.

He was trying to be a good sheep and give the liberal narrative some real-world teeth. "Hey they are right about this recession stuff, my portfolio sucks!"

Now that its come out that the left was FOS on this recession talk, he's changing his tune. And he wonders why no one takes him seriously...

There may not be, but you’re still missing the point. It’s a reasonable point of interest to understand how the person who sets tax policy will personally benefit. That goes for whoever is president, but especially one who supposedly has so much to gain.

I’m sure you wouldn’t be so defensive if we were asking about Clinton’s tax returns, or her foundation, or other areas where she would benefit. You’d probably be first in line asking for this information.

Well, I'm still ahead of you.
Virtually none of your tidbits make any sense.

Agent Orange

Excellent post, @BamaFan1137 .
Your last paragraph is very useful and instructive.
Yes, there is quite the symbiotic relationship between us and the Chinese.
But there is a war of minds and commerce between the US and China, as you know.
You know (as I do) China is much the surveillance state.
And you remember the attempts of the Chinese government to watch, control, and dissipate the Muslim Uyghurs (sp?) of western China and their concerns over the recent Hong Kong protests.
It's all about nationalism and control, IMO.
And it's about "saving face" as well.
Losing face would be a devastating blow to the aspirations of the current Chinese government...which could lead to unrest, lack of cohesion, and more.
The Chinese people from my understanding are more nationalistic than their American counterparts.
And while we (or many of us) are rightfully concerned about trade agreements...China's fear of losing face might well be something our negotiators are unequipped to deal with.
So we shall see.
China is currently signing more trade deals with Germany and the E.U.
They (China) might need us now.
But will they need us later?
China and other countries are dumping UST bonds and trading in national/regional currencies.
So...just who really needs who the most?
And will the Yuan become a major reserve currency sometime soon?
If so...the USD will become less relevant with time.
Gonna be interesting to see what all transpires.
Again, excellent post.

Agent Orange

Great post but remember, the US currently imports 25% more annually than the EU combined. That's 28 nations and their economies are shrinking while ours is growing. Most economists still believe that if that trend reverses it will positively impact ours..at least in the short term. It's not foolproof for us but we're in a good spot today.

Btw, there are some great opportunities for investment in European markets right now, you just have to be careful.

Also excellent point on Chinese nationalism. I could be way off here but I believe there's room for optimism here as well. China is becoming a VERY odd political model. They are Capitalistic Communists, which sort of blows my mind, and Chinese consumerism is on the rise...like a freaking rocketship.

Greed is on the rise in China and that is a great thing from a Sociopolitical standpoint from an American perspective. If that continues, and if we can avoid missteps in the South China Sea, the symbiosis between our economies should strengthen further. It's a tough thing to model however because of the emotional component. How does one quantify it? I have no idea.

No, it still is a real possibility. Probably 50%. It’s affecting corporate America, it just hasn’t hit consumer spending yet.

Corporate spending reductions are always related to fear. Consumer spending is always related to reality in the here and now.

Sometimes corporate America accurately predicts the future while other times it sh!ts the bed.

Just in case nobody told you.............
Just because you don't like the tax policy............
Doesn't mean DJT is the ****only**** person who might benefit from the changes in tax codes.
Even you should realize other folks have, as well.
As far as HRC is concerned...just how well or how much did she benefit from the sale of uranium to Russia or any of the Clinton Global Initiative or her Wall Street speeches or the $500k her hubs received from speaking in Russia?
Guess you lost your mind as equally over that as you have over DJT?
Since democrats and repubs can't find the ways to be better with the peoples' money (taxes)...I could care the least about your whining about Trump...no, I do not/did not care for Hillary...but she earned what she did...capitalism, hard work, and "working it" paid her quite well.
So, no...not gonna ask information about how she got her money.
But wished she'd not gotten off so easily over her emails.
But that's another story for another time.

You're stumbling again.

Agent Orange

Just in case nobody told you.............
Just because you don't like the tax policy............
Doesn't mean DJT is the ****only**** person who might benefit from the changes in tax codes.
Even you should realize other folks have, as well.
As far as HRC is concerned...just how well or how much did she benefit from the sale of uranium to Russia or any of the Clinton Global Initiative or her Wall Street speeches or the $500k her hubs received from speaking in Russia?
Guess you lost your mind as equally over that as you have over DJT?
Since democrats and repubs can't find the ways to be better with the peoples' money (taxes)...I could care the least about your whining about Trump...no, I do not/did not care for Hillary...but she earned what she did...capitalism, hard work, and "working it" paid her quite well.
So, no...not gonna ask information about how she got her money.
But wished she'd not gotten off so easily over her emails.
But that's another story for another time.

You're stumbling again.

Agent Orange[/QUOTE

I don’t want to say you’re dumb, but you’re not smart.

Actually, you’re stupid.

^^^^Classic example of what happens when you force liberals to think critically about their views. It frustrates them, it confuses them, it angers them. It makes them feel stupid, so they lash out and call the other person stupid.

Textbook.

Reactions: AgentOrange2217
For all of you cultists that claimed Trump was being audited so all is good. LOL.

The Treasury Department’s inspector general is investigating how the department handled a congressional request for President Trump’s tax returns, which Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has refused to turn over.

The inquiry comes amid new concerns about political interference in the handling of Mr. Trump’s tax returns, which — like those of all presidents — are subjected to a mandatory audit. An Internal Revenue Service whistle-blower filed a complaint over the summer claiming that senior Treasury officials tried to exert improper influence over the audit. According to a government official familiar with its contents, it claims that political appointees in the Treasury Department were pressuring I.R.S. officials

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
Such as?

The glaciers arent melting and the earth’s temperatures aren’t rising?
Trump is not a habitual liar?
GMAFB.

Folks who are humble enough to admit their failings and incorrect beliefs are the ones who truly deserve to be given a break.
Deep introspection is not only a true gift...but one to be nourished and practiced at all times.
Hardly anyone on this forum believes you deserve the break you are asking for.
You haven't earned said break.
But you have earned scorn and ridicule.

Agent Orange

For all of you cultists that claimed Trump was being audited so all is good. LOL.

The Treasury Department’s inspector general is investigating how the department handled a congressional request for President Trump’s tax returns, which Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has refused to turn over.

The inquiry comes amid new concerns about political interference in the handling of Mr. Trump’s tax returns, which — like those of all presidents — are subjected to a mandatory audit. An Internal Revenue Service whistle-blower filed a complaint over the summer claiming that senior Treasury officials tried to exert improper influence over the audit. According to a government official familiar with its contents, it claims that political appointees in the Treasury Department were pressuring I.R.S. officials

Makes me wonder if DJT might be audited for how much uranium he sold to Russia...his profits form that...or how he profited and how much from being on the board of Burisma, the Ukranian energy corporation.

I'm sure the Treasury Dept is right on it.

Agent Orange

Makes me wonder if DJT might be audited for how much uranium he sold to Russia...his profits form that...or how he profited and how much from being on the board of Burisma, the Ukranian energy corporation.

I'm sure the Treasury Dept is right on it.

Agent Orange

Well @BSC911 has changed his tune on investigating corruption now that Mueller found that President Trump is clean and its the dems who are dirty.

Reactions: AgentOrange2217
If Trump's tax returns have been audited and vetted, as Ghost has asserted repeatedly, how come his lawyers are filing (losing) motions to block their production in response to subpoenas and now have filed emergency appeals claiming blanket executive immunity to keep from turning them over?

Critical thinkers? Anyone? Anyone?

I am a bit confused. If this is a federal case then DOJ has jurisdiction and his records should not be handed over. If this is a NY case what right do they have to ask for FEDERAL tax returns? Morons don't actually think Trump does his own taxes? Anything wrong on them would be due to the firm and they would have to show Trump forced them to do something wrong. He has deniability if anything were wrong. People with his wealth are constantly audited. IRS would have already fined him. This is more nonsense from the left. Cyrus Vance? Where have I seen that name before? Oh side note he tried to let Epstien off easy. Hmmm something rotten in the state of New York

I am a bit confused. If this is a federal case then DOJ has jurisdiction and his records should not be handed over. If this is a NY case what right do they have to ask for FEDERAL tax returns? Morons don't actually think Trump does his own taxes? Anything wrong on them would be due to the firm and they would have to show Trump forced them to do something wrong. He has deniability if anything were wrong. People with his wealth are constantly audited. IRS would have already fined him. This is more nonsense from the left. Cyrus Vance? Where have I seen that name before? Oh side note he tried to let Epstien off easy. Hmmm something rotten in the state of New York
No brainer but we're dealing with people that need a brain.

If Trump's tax returns have been audited and vetted, as Ghost has asserted repeatedly, how come his lawyers are filing (losing) motions to block their production in response to subpoenas and now have filed emergency appeals claiming blanket executive immunity to keep from turning them over?

Critical thinkers? Anyone? Anyone?

Critical thinkers can immediately list many reasons why any President would do the same thing.

@bradleygator is only smart enough to think of one.

Reactions: nail1988
But what they do have are emotions and belief - one only needs a brain if they actually wish to engage the salient points of various arguments

There is considerable truth to this point above.
And considerable downside, as well.
Consider the following:
You've heard people say (many times) he/she tells it like it is.
This is what they aren't saying:
"He/she is smart and agrees with me!" (and tells it like it is).
There can be differences in salient points...but where do they lead to?
Salient points by dems mean DJT is guilty of breathing and everything else.
Salient points by DJT supporters means dems are talking out of their a$$.
But where do all the salient points lead?
The outcome(s) are truly more important than the salient points, themselves.
That would be my uneducated guess.

Agent Orange

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT