ADVERTISEMENT

A&M’s NIL Packages revealed on Podcast link

LrgK9

Baby Gator
Jan 22, 2005
“listening to the LSU Daily podcast from Matt Moscona. He explains very specific details of a couple of NIL deals for LSU/aTm targets Jacoby Matthews and Harold Perkins. JM's offer was 100k per yr over 4 yrs including benefits. Perkins deal was 500k over 4 years including benefits.”

“listening to the LSU Daily podcast from Matt Moscona. He explains very specific details of a couple of NIL deals for LSU/aTm targets Jacoby Matthews and Harold Perkins. JM's offer was 100k per yr over 4 yrs including benefits. Perkins deal was 500k over 4 years including benefits.”

Yep, I still listen to him regularly and I'm in his group text. (I've said before he's the best in the business).

Reactions: LrgK9

If this is correct, then the whole aTm spending $30,000,000 on NIL for this years class is greatly mistorted, unless that $30,000,000 is taking into fact the totals of multi-year deals.

If this is correct, then the whole aTm spending $30,000,000 on NIL for this years class is greatly mistorted, unless that $30,000,000 is taking into fact the totals of multi-year deals.
Well I would imagine that many of the other players already on this team are going to want their share or else jump into the portal.

Why is it out of control to earn money for your name/image/likeness? Earn as much as you can. Isn't that what this country is about?

It's bad because it's boosters overpaying for that because they want a top football team. Quite a few of those players will be a bust that never had any real NIL value also. In a way it's worse than the NFL for some schools as the players can transfer so easily.

Reactions: gatordad3
Why is it out of control to earn money for your name/image/likeness? Earn as much as you can. Isn't that what this country is about?
I don’t blame the players at all. I think it is a little depressing to think that it’s going to turn into whoever can be the highest bidder, but if someone is willing to pay you that much I don’t blame anyone for taking it. I do think it’s probably a pendulum and it’s swinging on the player’s direction right now. I’m guessing there will be something that mitigates it going forward, or we’ll just have to recruit wealthy alumni also?

I don’t blame the players at all. I think it is a little depressing to think that it’s going to turn into whoever can be the highest bidder, but if someone is willing to pay you that much I don’t blame anyone for taking it. I do think it’s probably a pendulum and it’s swinging on the player’s direction right now. I’m guessing there will be something that mitigates it going forward, or we’ll just have to recruit wealthy alumni also?

I doubt anything mitigates it too much going forward but maybe a lot of teams just refusing to challenge the top teams with that. It will be interesting watching the 2023 class and how it comes out. The top 5 recruiting this year are the 5 teams that according to message board talk anyway are the 5 we know have decided to play the game big time: A&M, Bama, Texas, Georgia and Ohio State. I think the big question mark is how teams like these are going to respond: Florida, USC, Oklahoma, Oregon, LSU, Miami, Clemson and Michigan etc. Will it become crazy hard just to get a top 10 type class or will those 5 teams not be allowed to just run away from people in recruiting. Heck A&M even has the other 4 in that top 5 crying about what they did.

Reactions: BCSpell
I doubt anything mitigates it too much going forward but maybe a lot of teams just refusing to challenge the top teams with that. It will be interesting watching the 2023 class and how it comes out. The top 5 recruiting this year are the 5 teams that according to message board talk anyway are the 5 we know have decided to play the game big time: A&M, Bama, Texas, Georgia and Ohio State. I think the big question mark is how teams like these are going to respond: Florida, USC, Oklahoma, Oregon, LSU, Miami, Clemson and Michigan etc. Will it become crazy hard just to get a top 10 type class or will those 5 teams not be allowed to just run away from people in recruiting. Heck A&M even has the other 4 in that top 5 crying about what they did.
A lot of it will depend on how the NIL economy shakes out. I mean, can aTm shell out what they did this year every year? If they do and don’t get a national title out of it does that cause their boosters to balk at continuing to spend? And as for the second part of the question, I don’t think Napier is taken at all by surprise on this front. I’m guessing he took the job with assurances in place that we would be willing to compete with those top 5 schools in resources. There’s no reason we can’t. I mean, look at it this way… if we had a coach that was even an average recruiter, uga probably doesn’t have any sec East titles, much less any playoff appearances. Our brand is bigger than theirs and our infrastructure should be able to compete. In fact, I would be shocked if the hiring of Napier and the backing of his approach l wasn’t because enough of our boosters got tired of seeing uga playing for titles.

A lot of it will depend on how the NIL economy shakes out. I mean, can aTm shell out what they did this year every year? If they do and don’t get a national title out of it does that cause their boosters to balk at continuing to spend? And as for the second part of the question, I don’t think Napier is taken at all by surprise on this front. I’m guessing he took the job with assurances in place that we would be willing to compete with those top 5 schools in resources. There’s no reason we can’t. I mean, look at it this way… if we had a coach that was even an average recruiter, uga probably doesn’t have any sec East titles, much less any playoff appearances. Our brand is bigger than theirs and our infrastructure should be able to compete. In fact, I would be shocked if the hiring of Napier and the backing of his approach l wasn’t because enough of our boosters got tired of seeing uga playing for titles.
My fear is we can now compete in everything with even Bama etc. but possibly NIL. I guess we will know this coming class for sure how motivated our really rich alumni are. I get your point on A&M but I think with a couple of obscene classes like that it would be hard not to win a championship short of your QB not cutting it at all. Maybe the best strategy if the funds aren't unlimited is to do what Clemson did when they won their championships. Make sure you have a really good QB and a couple of really good DTs that can get after the QB as the must have top recruits. O linemen from what is left from A&M and Texas looking to buy a bunch of them.

I am shocked at how so many people here think that, going forward, these same boosters will just continue to pump unlimited funds into broad coverage deals.

Must be the same people that think rich people are rich by accident.

They are literally testing the waters of a new market to see if it works. They'll give it 3-5 years, with some adjustments, and see how it plays.

If it proves that it produces championships then they will keep pumping money into the system, if not, they will pull back and only focus on top recruits.

That's how new investment industries work. Theyll see what the returns are, and adjust. This is why TAMU is going to be a case study.

What I think they're going to find is that the return on investment isnt worth it.

It's the same mentality of people that buy major pro franchises. They toss a ton of money into it and either lay back and enjoy the profits, or they want to get hands on when the product isn't what they thought they were investing in.

If you honestly think that these investors are going to keep throwing good money after bad money when it doesn't produce results, then you haven't a clue about how legitimately wealthy people spend their money.

Try it out, see what happens, then bail when it's not providing results.

how is this not obvious? Did some of you not take any economic courses? Do some of you not understand how wealthy people spend their money?

Serious question.

I am shocked at how so many people here think that, going forward, these same boosters will just continue to pump unlimited funds into broad coverage deals.

They are literally testing the waters of a new market to see if it works. They'll give it 3-5 years, with some adjustments, and see how it plays.

If it proves that it produces championships then they will keep pumping money into the system, if not, they will pull back and only focus on top recruits.

That's how new investment industries work. Theyll see what the returns are, and adjust. This is why TAMU is going to be a case study.

What I think they're going to find is that the return on investment isnt worth it.

It's the same mentality of people that buy major pro franchises. They toss a ton of money into it and either lay back and enjoy the profits, or they want to get hands on when the product isn't what they thought they were investing in.

If you honestly think that these investors are going to keep throwing good money after bad money when it doesn't produce results, then you haven't a clue about how legitimately wealthy people spend their money.

how is this not obvious? Did some of you not take any economic courses? Do some of you not understand how wealthy people spend their money?

Serious question.
I did, and everything you said is true, up to a point. No matter how much money is put into NIL, THERE IS NO TANGIBLE RETURN. People invest money to make money. No money will be made here regardless of how much gets thrown in. All you get at most is the ability to buy a tshirt that says national champion on it. Pride is the only return, and that has zero cash value.

But hey, fan is short for fanatic, so who knows? Maybe pride alone will be enough for the few ultra-rich. I think we may see the same model, with only a few teams in the running each year, but the teams themselves will change, based on who has the ultra-rich boosters willing to throw 20 mil a year at the players because they have billions and 20 mil is just play money.

REALLY hoping Bama can't keep up with the dollars, would love love love to see them cry because other people are paying players and they can't compete.

Serious question.

At A&Ms level it might be hard not to be a playoff team in the coming years I think with one more crazy class like that. Curious to see how Bama etc. reacts if they go all in again this next class.

A&M is going all in and doing whatever they can to “buy” a national title. They have always been 2nd fiddle in their state to Texas. They just finally started getting out of that Texas shadow when they made the move to the SEC to basically get away from Texas. Now low and behold here comes Texas coming to the SEC and going to try and put A&M in their shadow again. A&M wants that national title before Texas makes its way to the SEC. The SEC has always been tough but now it is about to get nasty too.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Stuff is out of control. I wonder if some of these players will have a harder time staying out of trouble getting deals like that for them to attend the school.
If I was making 500K just to stay eligible and to stay out of trouble...I would.

These guys don't even have to start or get much PT...just stay on the roster.

Don't you think you'd be able to do that for 500K?

Young men that think they are invincible and invulnerable + money = trouble.

That was my thought as well.

I did plenty of nonsense in college without 500k ...I'd probably be dead 10 years okay
All fair assessments but when you have $500K to lose you also learn to keep out of trouble and maintain the 2.0 GPA(or whatever the current GPA is). It works both ways.

I know there is a difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old but look at rookies in the NBA, NFL, etc. Some do dumb..very dumb things, majority toe the line.

Reactions: LrgK9
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT