ADVERTISEMENT

7 Days Of COVID19

gator1776

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2011
Thought I’d sit back and reflect on my week in the intensive care unit with coronavirus. I always find it interesting that a couple of you guys think of it as a hoax. It’s not a hoax, it is real, I see it and live it every day.

What is a hoax is the fear mongering used by the media and the constant vilification of Trump as those somehow he brought coronavirus to America.

I will tell you this. In ICU beds seven this week I had to intubate and put on life-support for coronavirus patients in that room this week. Now we don’t rotate the patients out of that room or just use that room for intubating. Three of the four patients that I put on life-support in that room died this week. They all died of coronavirus just so we’re clear.

Patient one was 78 years old and she had pre-existing comorbidities that included diabetes and hypertension. She developed renal failure and died within 48 hours of me putting her on the vent.

Patient number two was 62 years old but had severe COPD and coronary artery disease and heart failure as pre-existing conditions. He never should’ve been put on the ventilator because he was not gonna make it a matter what and he died within 14 hours of me spending three hours trying to stabilize him.

Patient number three was 42 years old. He had type two diabetes and he was pretty significantly overweight. But he was a juggernaut in the local community. He was beloved as a coach and a community organizer with his church and a youth league pastor and minister. He went from being OK to dying from coronavirus in 48 hours. He survived on the ventilator only an hour and coded almost immediately after intubation. I worked on him for an hour and could never get a sustain pulse back longer than five minutes.

And today in that same room I intubated A 71-year-old male with diabetes and hypertension and coronary artery disease and COPD. He had secondary pneumonia in addition to coronavirus and he’s stable on the ventilator for the moment.

In filling out the death certificate of the first three the primary cause of death was listed as coronavirus because it was the reason why they were in the hospital and the reason why they died. That’s not miss documentation, that’s not fudging anything to try and get more money for anybody, that’s how we classify these things. The primary cause of death is what admitted them in the hospital that week.

That said, obviously, you’ll notice the pattern there is the people that are dying are people with lots of medical problems that were probably going to die from something anyway within the next five years. The exception being the 42-year-old. Had he not gotten coronavirus he probably would’ve lived another 15 to 20 years given his current health status.

So I thought I would just give a couple of you guys and hear a little glimpse into the reality of coronavirus. It has certainly picked up in the last two months and the number of fatalities from coronavirus has picked up as well. Currently if I have to put you on the ventilator in our hospital for coronavirus you have a bout a 30% survival rate. That mirrors the national average. Thankfully very few people are sick enough from coronavirus to require being on the ventilator. The overall survival rate from catching this virus is 99% giver take a little bit. The survival rate for catching influenza by the way is 99.6%.

None of this, on a sidenote, is Donald Trump‘s fault. And the press constantly vilifying him for this is absurd. Without Donald Trump we would have no treatment and no vaccine. And whether you believe in it or don’t believe in it, that’s up to you and I don’t really care, because the vaccine is an amazing thing, was developed in an amazing period of time, and will save lives.

anyway, I thought some of y’all might enjoy a glimpse into the week in the life of a critical care doctor taking care of the most controversial virus of my lifetime :) but not the deadliest virus of my lifetime.

And before anybody goes there or says I told you so or anything else, all three of the ones that died would still be alive today had they not contracted coronavirus. They may not have lived much longer in this world, but coronavirus is the reason that they died and that is why they’re listed as having died of coronavirus as their primary cause of death with all of their comorbidities as their secondary cause of death. Please do not get hung up on that bullshit again.

Having said that I have no doubt that some of you will :)

Sounds spot-on to me. Save as many as you can. Maybe the vaccine will put this in the rearview mirror.
Pretty much the story and every pandemic. I just wish they would stop shutting the country down every couple weeks because all it really does is move the ball down the field And cause massive harm to millions of Americans.. We’re gonna have to live through this at one point of the other. Let’s not destroy our country at the same time.

You have earned tremendous respect from me.
When this is over, America MUST have a serious and frank discussion about our poor health habits. Obesity, processed food, unhealthy diets, and smoking. Half of us are FAT. Half of us are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. 30% of us still smoke for heaven's sake.
We can't be nicey-nicey about it either.
Stop eating garbage. Get off your duffs. Don't smoke.

Thought I’d sit back and reflect on my week in the intensive care unit with coronavirus. I always find it interesting that a couple of you guys think of it as a hoax. It’s not a hoax, it is real, I see it and live it every day.

What is a hoax is the fear mongering used by the media and the constant vilification of Trump as those somehow he brought coronavirus to America.

I will tell you this. In ICU beds seven this week I had to intubate and put on life-support for coronavirus patients in that room this week. Now we don’t rotate the patients out of that room or just use that room for intubating. Three of the four patients that I put on life-support in that room died this week. They all died of coronavirus just so we’re clear.

Patient one was 78 years old and she had pre-existing comorbidities that included diabetes and hypertension. She developed renal failure and died within 48 hours of me putting her on the vent.

Patient number two was 62 years old but had severe COPD and coronary artery disease and heart failure as pre-existing conditions. He never should’ve been put on the ventilator because he was not gonna make it a matter what and he died within 14 hours of me spending three hours trying to stabilize him.

Patient number three was 42 years old. He had type two diabetes and he was pretty significantly overweight. But he was a juggernaut in the local community. He was beloved as a coach and a community organizer with his church and a youth league pastor and minister. He went from being OK to dying from coronavirus in 48 hours. He survived on the ventilator only an hour and coded almost immediately after intubation. I worked on him for an hour and could never get a sustain pulse back longer than five minutes.

And today in that same room I intubated A 71-year-old male with diabetes and hypertension and coronary artery disease and COPD. He had secondary pneumonia in addition to coronavirus and he’s stable on the ventilator for the moment.

In filling out the death certificate of the first three the primary cause of death was listed as coronavirus because it was the reason why they were in the hospital and the reason why they died. That’s not miss documentation, that’s not fudging anything to try and get more money for anybody, that’s how we classify these things. The primary cause of death is what admitted them in the hospital that week.

That said, obviously, you’ll notice the pattern there is the people that are dying are people with lots of medical problems that were probably going to die from something anyway within the next five years. The exception being the 42-year-old. Had he not gotten coronavirus he probably would’ve lived another 15 to 20 years given his current health status.

So I thought I would just give a couple of you guys and hear a little glimpse into the reality of coronavirus. It has certainly picked up in the last two months and the number of fatalities from coronavirus has picked up as well. Currently if I have to put you on the ventilator in our hospital for coronavirus you have a bout a 30% survival rate. That mirrors the national average. Thankfully very few people are sick enough from coronavirus to require being on the ventilator. The overall survival rate from catching this virus is 99% giver take a little bit. The survival rate for catching influenza by the way is 99.6%.

None of this, on a sidenote, is Donald Trump‘s fault. And the press constantly vilifying him for this is absurd. Without Donald Trump we would have no treatment and no vaccine. And whether you believe in it or don’t believe in it, that’s up to you and I don’t really care, because the vaccine is an amazing thing, was developed in an amazing period of time, and will save lives.

anyway, I thought some of y’all might enjoy a glimpse into the week in the life of a critical care doctor taking care of the most controversial virus of my lifetime :) but not the deadliest virus of my lifetime.
Awesome post, thanks for taking the time.

I’m not going to repost what I replied to rere earlier, but my dad was as bad comorbidity-wise as the three that died. Maybe worse. He shouldn’t be alive w/o Covid as a consideration.

In your opinion what’s the difference between people like him who basically had the flu and the patients you’ve lost? It’s not just comorbidities...although those are obviously key. Did they wait too long, did they do something wrong?

When this is over, America MUST have a serious and frank discussion about our poor health habits. Obesity, processed food, unhealthy diets, and smoking. Half of us are FAT. Half of us are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. 30% of us still smoke for heaven's sake.
That would be great Goldmom, but how is that going to be enforced? The Gov?

That would be great Goldmom, but how is that going to be enforced? The Gov?
A few ideas...

Change the way we help people in need buy food. Make healthy foods much less expensive and make things like processed foods and high fructose corn syrup much more expensive.

Change the way the govt subsidizes, if people want to spend more to make poor food decisions let them.

Also, education campaigns. Make sure people know grilled chicken and Taco Bell are not the same quality of food. I think you’d be shocked at the lack of basic nutritional knowledge

Better PE programs in schools. It’s the first thing that’s cut as schools go after test results for funding. An obese kid is very likely to be an obese adult.

There are many little ideas that would do some good. It wasn’t too long ago smoking was considered safe and fashionable.

Couldn’t agree more. Let’s get a couple of beers and some chili cheese fries and talk it over.

Couldn’t agree more. Let’s get a couple of beers and some chili cheese fries and talk it over.
I get you’re joking but those aren’t the foods that are killing us.

Chili cheese fries are at least somewhat glycemic balanced. And beer is proof God loves us.

Now if you said Mountain Dew and Doritos...you nailed it.

I don’t blame Trump for COVID. I do blame him for belittling wearing masks, gutting the agency that prepares for epidemics, and basically ignoring it for a few weeks when he could have been getting needed supplies, like reliable tests and N95 masks. I understand that some question the efficacy of non-N95s, but if everyone was taking reasonable precautions it would have helped “flatten the curve” so the medical system wouldn’t be getting swamped with patients all at once. With more proactive testing, we would have known more about the true extent and how it spreads.

When Hurricane Irma was threatening Florida, Rick Scott had half the electrical lineman country ready to start fixing downed lines as soon as the winds died down, among other things. Florida is now a well oiled machine when it comes to hurricanes. What Trump did was the equivalent of playing down the storm before it arrived, and not bothering to proactively get first responders ready to go.

I get you’re joking but those aren’t the foods that are killing us.

Chili cheese fries are at least somewhat glycemic balanced. And beer is proof God loves us.

Now if you said Mountain Dew and Doritos...you nailed it.
Dude, don’t be a literal dickhead 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: fatman76
I don’t blame Trump for COVID. I do blame him for belittling wearing masks, gutting the agency that prepares for epidemics, and basically ignoring it for a few weeks when he could have been getting needed supplies, like reliable tests and N95 masks. I understand that some question the efficacy of non-N95s, but if everyone was taking reasonable precautions it would have helped “flatten the curve” so the medical system wouldn’t be getting swamped with patients all at once. With more proactive testing, we would have known more about the true extent and how it spreads.

When Hurricane Irma was threatening Florida, Rick Scott had half the electrical lineman country ready to start fixing downed lines as soon as the winds died down, among other things. Florida is now a well oiled machine when it comes to hurricanes. What Trump did was the equivalent of playing down the storm before it arrived, and not bothering to proactively get first responders ready to go.
1) I’m not going to defend his narrative in the first few weeks, but he let the epidemiologists speak directly to the people everyday for months. I do believe he was trying to calm people down but I understand the criticism as well.
2) Any agency changes is perhaps a fair criticism but it’s also Monday morning QBing. No one saw this coming. Sort of what “unprecedented” actually means.
3) From a pure numbers basis we ramped up testing faster than anyone. It started slow but part of the lack of tests and PPE early on were due to over reliance on China for these things (remember the swab shortage?). Bottom line - we didn’t lose anyone due to lack of a ventilator. He mobilized the armed forces to help NYC at their biggest moment of need. Not perfect, but the private sector was deployed and we, as a country, responded quickly. It would have helped if certain Gov’s were not shoving positives into nursing homes in those first few months.
4) We locked the nation down in the spring and we did flatten the curve. The problem is the virus is going to virus, which is what’s happening now. Lockdowns are not solutions, they are triage.

I’m not about to claim the administration did an outstanding job but they sure as shit did some great things...not the least of which is cutting red tape and paving the way for a vaccine in ridiculously short time. And I’m very thankful that we have leaders that understand lockdowns have dire consequences too...as we’ve seen in Europe and certain left leaning states lockdowns are just delaying the inevitable. See UK today for a great example.

Awesome post, thanks for taking the time.

I’m not going to repost what I replied to rere earlier, but my dad was as bad comorbidity-wise as the three that died. Maybe worse. He shouldn’t be alive w/o Covid as a consideration.

In your opinion what’s the difference between people like him who basically had the flu and the patients you’ve lost? It’s not just comorbidities...although those are obviously key. Did they wait too long, did they do something wrong?
Do you know it’s just a really nasty virus and those people. It creates a severe viral pneumonia and severe ARDS with massive VQ mismatch and shut physiology. And it does this in the small subset of patients to such a degree, is the worst ARDS I’ve ever seen consistently from one disease and that’s why 70% of the ones in an appointment then later don’t make it. It just overwhelms the system and we could never get their oxygenation better and then they either die from that or secondary causes but it shuts their body down.

most of them seek help early, there’s just a small subset that deteriorate either quickly or over a week or two and they’re just so hard to pull out of that nosedive. Clearly it’s a combination of the comorbidities and the genetic predisposition that we don’t completely understand and thank God it’s only 1% or less.

I see influenza patients present like this on occasion to but I think we’re seeing it more frequent right now because this version of Covid is novel to our system. I imagine this must’ve been what it was like but on a much larger scale with a lot less resources to utilize back during influenza in 1918.

I will straight up tell you that I push for wearing mask because I think it makes everybody feel better and it may help a little bit but it helps on the scale of 5 to 10% not like you’re trying to make it out of the press. It just became a political tool, with little proven benefit or actual benefit but maybe a little.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
And China.

Thankfully Trump didn't go the Biden/Pelosi/Schumer route and keep the air traffic from China flowing.
Why are we giving China a pass on this whole sheet show?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT