ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

#3 QB-pp Graham Mertz 6-3 216 Grad-Sr - **** 0.9689 out of HS
Wis *** as a xfer - 4Yr starter, Career: 38 TD's to 26 Ints, 49 sacks

#13 QB-pp Jack Miller III 6-3 211 rsSo - **** 0.8951 out of HS
tOSU *** as a xfer - Bowl Zero TD's, lost 3-30 OreSt

#96 QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 200 *** rsFr-
Offers: Wash, C.Mich, Temple
Napier managed to flip/steal him from C.Mich, to warm the Gator bench.
=====

NR QB-pp Kyle Engel 6-1 190 no stars rsJr - WO
Offers: None listed on 247

#144 QB-pp Parker Leise 6-2 215 *** Fr - PWO
Offers: Kan, Brown, Butler, Toledo, Miami-OH, Stetson

#162 QB-pp Jordan Gile 6-0 190 ** Fr - PWO
Offers: Kan, FL-Int, Miz S&T, Miz W.St

Why,,, I've never seen better QB recruiting at UF.
Heisman Candidates one and all for sure, the rest of the SEC is in big trouble now!

There is obviously going to be a massive battle in Fall practice to determine which one of those fine QB's is going to be the 2023 starter....

• Haha
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
#3 QB-pp Graham Mertz 6-3 216 Grad-Sr - **** 0.9689 out of HS
Wis *** as a xfer - 4Yr starter, Career: 38 TD's to 26 Ints, 49 sacks

#13 QB-pp Jack Miller III 6-3 211 rsSo - **** 0.8951 out of HS
tOSU *** as a xfer - Bowl Zero TD's, lost 3-30 OreSt

#96 QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 200 *** rsFr-
Offers: Wash, C.Mich, Temple
Napier managed to flip/steal him from C.Mich, to warm the Gator bench.
=====

NR QB-pp Kyle Engel 6-1 190 no stars rsJr - WO
Offers: None listed on 247

#144 QB-pp Parker Leise 6-2 215 *** Fr - PWO
Offers: Kan, Brown, Butler, Toledo, Miami-OH, Stetson

#162 QB-pp Jordan Gile 6-0 190 ** Fr - PWO
Offers: Kan, FL-Int, Miz S&T, Miz W.St

Why,,, I've never seen better QB recruiting at UF.
Heisman Candidates one and all for sure, the rest of the SEC is in big trouble now!

There is obviously going to be a massive battle in Fall practice to determine which one of those fine QB's is going to be the 2023 starter....

We will know the starter and pecking order at the end of spring probably.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR

Gators extend offer to elite Alabama commit​

Napier has been extending offers to players committed elsewhere in the SEC in an attempt to poach them from their current school and send a message to the country.

His latest offer went out to 5-star DB Jaylen Mbawke, who’s currently committed to Alabama.

Mbawke, out of Pinson, Alabama, is one of the best overall recruits in the class of 2024. 247 Sports has him ranked as the 9th best player in the country, the 2nd best corner, and the top player out of Alabama.

Along with football, Jaylen also runs track, which has served him well on the football field. He has verified times of 10.46 in the 100 meter dash, and 21.71 in the 200.

His speed is eveident when you watch his film. While he’s listed as a DB, he plays a lot of wide receiver as well, where his wheels shine.
https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/01/26/florida-football-gators-offer-alabama-commit/

SEC head coach salary rankings for 2023 season​

I once read that no occupation in America has less job security than a college football head coach. Look at Tennessee. The Volunteers are on their fifth head coach since 2009. Florida’s is on its fourth. But the risk of being fired after just a year or two does not outweigh the reward — millions of dollars to coach college football.

Using USA TODAY’s coaching salary database, SportsNaut compiled a list of the highest paid college football coaches for the 2023 season, taking into account new contracts that have been signed already this offseason.

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/georgia-football-sec-head-coach-salary-rankings-for-2023-season/

Senator Marco Rubio's Son, Anthony, Commits to Florida Gators​

Anthony Rubio, son of U.S. Senator Marco Rubio, committed to Florida as a preferred walk-on.

Anthony Rubio, a class of 2023 running back from Miami (Fla.) Belen Jesuit Prep and the son of United States Senator Marco Rubio, committed to Florida as a preferred walk-on on Thursday.

Standing at 5-foot-10, 175 pounds, Rubio posted 229 rushes for 1,474 yards and 14 touchdowns in three varsity seasons, per MaxPreps, adding 26 receptions for 324 yards and a score through the air. He has reportedly clocked a 100-meter dash result of 11.18 seconds.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-senator-marco-rubio-son-anthony-commits

The 2022 RB's as receivers: & rushing

Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 202 --- #1 14 Yd/Ave -- #4 4.0 YPC - Portal Out to USF

Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 209 ----- #2 11 Yd/Ave -- #1 7.5 YPC - Portal Out to Akron

Trevor Etienne 5-9 217 ------- #3 7.3 Yd/Ave - #2 6.1 YPC - Soph

Montrell Johnson Jr 5-11 218 - #4 4.8 Yd/Ave - #3 5.5 YPC - Jr

Curious that the RB with the best YPC left.
And the RB with the best Yds/Catch also left.
==========

RB's added to the Roster for 2023:

Cameron Carroll 6-0 225 Grad-Sr - Injured out in 2022 - Tulane xfer
2021 - Rush - 111 for 516 yds, 4.6 ypc, 3 TD's, L-47
Rec - 17 for 198 yds, 11.6 Ave, 3 TD's, L-59

#20 RB Treyaun Webb 5-10 200 Fr **** 0.8993
11 Gm - 147 for 1,117 Yds, 7.6 ypc, 20 TD's, L-93, 2 LPF's - Rec'ing negligible.
>WoW, that's almost as good as QB-dt Max Brown's HS Sr rushing stats.
😉

NR Anthony Rubio 5-10 175 Fr - Had 2 small D-1 Offers but PWO to UF.
11 Gm, Rush - 68 for 406 yds, 6.0 ypc, 3 TD's, L-42
Rec - 5 for 73 yds, 14.6 Ave, 1 TD, L-35

Carlson Joseph 5-11 196 rsSo - WO - 2 for 5 yds vs E.Wash
Corneilus Barns 6-0 171 rsSo -- WO - No action

The 2022 RB's as receivers: & rushing

Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 202 --- #1 14 Yd/Ave -- #4 4.0 YPC - Portal Out to USF

Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 209 ----- #2 11 Yd/Ave -- #1 7.5 YPC - Portal Out to Akron

Trevor Etienne 5-9 217 ------- #3 7.3 Yd/Ave - #2 6.1 YPC - Soph

Montrell Johnson Jr 5-11 218 - #4 4.8 Yd/Ave - #3 5.5 YPC - Jr

Curious that the RB with the best YPC left.
And the RB with the best Yds/Catch also left.
==========

RB's added to the Roster for 2023:

Cameron Carroll 6-0 225 Grad-Sr - Injured out in 2022 - Tulane xfer
2021 - Rush - 111 for 516 yds, 4.6 ypc, 3 TD's, L-47
Rec - 17 for 198 yds, 11.6 Ave, 3 TD's, L-59

#20 RB Treyaun Webb 5-10 200 Fr **** 0.8993
11 Gm - 147 for 1,117 Yds, 7.6 ypc, 20 TD's, L-93, 2 LPF's - Rec'ing negligible.
>WoW, that's almost as good as QB-dt Max Brown's HS Sr rushing stats.
😉

NR Anthony Rubio 5-10 175 Fr - Had 2 small D-1 Offers but PWO to UF.
11 Gm, Rush - 68 for 406 yds, 6.0 ypc, 3 TD's, L-42
Rec - 5 for 73 yds, 14.6 Ave, 1 TD, L-35

Carlson Joseph 5-11 196 rsSo - WO - 2 for 5 yds vs E.Wash
Corneilus Barns 6-0 171 rsSo -- WO - No action

We are set at RB if the injury bug doesn't bite. Its good for Lingard to get a new home as I think he will thrive at Akron. He had a lot of nice long runs in practice here and at Miami against out of conference teams.

Reactions: ih8f$u
We are set at RB if the injury bug doesn't bite. Its good for Lingard to get a new home as I think he will thrive at Akron. He had a lot of nice long runs in practice here and at Miami against out of conference teams.
Lingard should chew up the MAC. I hope he has a tremendous season and sone gives him a chance at the next level. He seemed like a really good kid and just happened to be stuck behind the best backfield we’ve had in awhile.

Lingard should chew up the MAC. I hope he has a tremendous season and sone gives him a chance at the next level. He seemed like a really good kid and just happened to be stuck behind the best backfield we’ve had in awhile.

I think he will have long runs there but not sure if the NFL will be interested or not. He seems a little stiff for the NFL.

People are saying Saban told some coaches he passed on McClain because he was searching for a million dollar+ NIL and that wasn't happening for an unproven player at Bama. I wonder what his view will be on QBs going forward as the top few will want a nice deal.

All of your OC dreams and wishes have been fulfilled....

Kiesau came to Auburn in 2021 as an offensive analyst, but he was quickly promoted to wide receivers coach four games into the 2021 season. He was further promoted in 2022 when he earned the offensive coordinator job in Harsin’s second campaign — that wouldn’t last, though. Auburn struggled during the 2022 campaign on the offensive side of the ball, causing the Tigers to fire him and multiple other staff members on Halloween. (so Billy snatched him up)

He will join an expansive team of off-field assistants under Napier at Florida. Provided his experience with the position, Kiesau is a candidate to pitch in developing quarterbacks alongside Napier and analyst Ryan O'Hara.
(he needs to be introduced to Max Brown immediately)

• Love
From a Swamp247 article: " With Hayes and Graham in the class, the Gators are tracking towards putting together an elite group at the position, a welcomed sight considering the team's current lack of depth at linebacker."

So what is UF's current LB roster?

ILB Derek Wingo 6-1 226 Jr
ILB Scooby Williams 6-2 235 rsSo
ILB Shemar James 6-1 230 So
-----
ILB Kenny Anyaehie 6-0 224 rsSr - PWO - xfer Temple, 2X AAC All Academic Team.
U.S. Army AA Bowl, also HS Dist. Champ in Shot Put.
ILB Justin Pelic 5-11 220 rsJr - WO

2X SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll (2020-21)
ILB Curran Webb 6-2 222 rsFr - WO
1A 2022 Co-Defensive Player of the Year & First Team All-State
=====
OLB Antwaun Powell-Ryland Jr 6-3 243 Jr
OLB Jack Pyburn 6-3 263 So - 8 Gms
OLB Bryce Capers 6-3 231 rsFr - 3 Gms
OLB Andrew Savaiinaea 6-3 266 rsFr

Plus 1 EE Recruit and 2 xfer-in's
#32 LB Jaden Robinson 6-1 222 Fr **** - EE
#91 LB Deuce Spurlock 6-2 200 rsFr *** 1 Gm - Mich xfer
#2 ILB Teradja Mitchell 6-2 232 5th-Sr **** - tOSU xfer

So 7 returning LB's, plus 3 Newbees and 3 solid WO's.
With 3 OLB's transfered out, Reese/Borders/Summerall.
(sorry, but I just don't see the claimed 'lack of depth')

From a Swamp247 article: " With Hayes and Graham in the class, the Gators are tracking towards putting together an elite group at the position, a welcomed sight considering the team's current lack of depth at linebacker."

So what is UF's current LB roster?

ILB Derek Wingo 6-1 226 Jr
ILB Scooby Williams 6-2 235 rsSo
ILB Shemar James 6-1 230 So
-----
ILB Kenny Anyaehie 6-0 224 rsSr - PWO - xfer Temple, 2X AAC All Academic Team.
U.S. Army AA Bowl, also HS Dist. Champ in Shot Put.
ILB Justin Pelic 5-11 220 rsJr - WO

2X SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll (2020-21)
ILB Curran Webb 6-2 222 rsFr - WO
1A 2022 Co-Defensive Player of the Year & First Team All-State
=====
OLB Antwaun Powell-Ryland Jr 6-3 243 Jr
OLB Jack Pyburn 6-3 263 So - 8 Gms
OLB Bryce Capers 6-3 231 rsFr - 3 Gms
OLB Andrew Savaiinaea 6-3 266 rsFr

Plus 1 EE Recruit and 2 xfer-in's
#32 LB Jaden Robinson 6-1 222 Fr **** - EE
#91 LB Deuce Spurlock 6-2 200 rsFr *** 1 Gm - Mich xfer
#2 ILB Teradja Mitchell 6-2 232 5th-Sr **** - tOSU xfer

So 7 returning LB's, plus 3 Newbees and 3 solid WO's.
With 3 OLB's transfered out, Reese/Borders/Summerall.
(sorry, but I just don't see the claimed 'lack of depth')

Do we have anyone at OLB that can actually get after the QB?

Georgia OC Todd Monken to interview with Tampa Bay Buccaneers​

Sources tell me that UGA offensive coordinator/QBs coach and former Bucs and Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken will interview next week for the Bucs’ offensive coordinator position.

— JennaLaineESPN (@JennaLaineESPN) January 27, 2023
Monken said. “I would never say never to anything. I would never say no to anything,"

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/...onken-to-interview-with-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Hoping he goes to Bucs, Coaches Kyle Trask, & UGA's offense falls apart !

LOL

Sources tell me that UGA offensive coordinator/QBs coach and former Bucs and Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken will interview next week for the Bucs’ offensive coordinator position.

Monken said. “I would never say never to anything. I would never say no to anything,"

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/...onken-to-interview-with-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

LOL
He can do better than The Buccaneers. No way in hell I'd be an OC for a proven garbage head coach like Todd Bowles.

Then what's the Gator's chances of hiring a top OC? jus-askin....
You mean like Primo Eddie, whom you adore, the garbage recruiter who also ran this program to the ground by hanging on to your beloved 3rd and Grantham, and naming a shoe thrower team captain after awarding LSU a first down for the game winning field goal?
I actually thought this is about Todd Monken, not about UF hiring an OC.

Well, what you just asked was a very retarded question, just saying.
So now they have 'Any Down & Toney', so we've all moved on from 3rd & Grantham, except for his usual haters anyway.... 😉

And just in case you've failed to notice this too, this thread's subject changes daily, it's all encompassing.... 😜

• Wow
Reactions: gatordad3

LOL
I'm hearing he's most likely staying in Athens.

Florida Hiring Former Auburn OC in Analyst Role​

I have been negative about Billy taking on too many coaching roles. I & many others posters have advocated that he bring in an additional QB Coach / OC.

Having two on the field OL Coaches makes it difficult.
OL has been our Achilles heel for many years now and
today's NIL$$$ environment has made signing ALL players more difficult.
We have two coaches who seem to have the ability to identify & develop OL talent. Billy seems determined to let our current structure play out & frankly changing horses in mid stream seldom works.

Florida is hiring former Auburn and Boise State offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau in an off-field / analyst role.

I am content to step back & shut up & see how this step works out.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...hiring-eric-kiesau-analyst-auburn-boise-state

It’s too soon to tell how large of a role Kiesau will play, but he does have extensive experience calling plays for Boise State, Colorado, Fresno State and Washington in addition to Auburn.

It is worth noting that Auburn’s passing game didn’t thrive while Kiesau was there. Instead, it was the rushing attack that led the way, and Florida has a solid foundation on the ground.

He also specialized in coaching quarterbacks in the past, so Kiesau could work with what is essentially a clean slate in the UF quarterbacks room.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/29/florida-football-eric-kiesau-hire-analyst/

As an analyst, don't think Kiesaus can be on the field during the game; most likely in the press box with a link to Napier.

Other articles claim that in addition to "suggesting plays", Kiesaus may keep track of down & distance & have input into time management decisions.

As an analyst. I assume that he will be scouting future opponents' defensive tendencies & creating / presenting potential offensive game plans to Napier.

Obviously, Billy will make the final decision on what plays to run during the game.

OC Eric Kiesau's history as offensive coordinator​

All this info somewhat dated, but I found it interesting.

Kiesau worked for Harsin four year at Boise State, including three as receivers coach, two as offensive coordinator and one as quarterbacks coach. Kiesau followed Harsin to Auburn.

Most of Kiesau's background is in the West. He played quarterback at Portland State and was Fresno State's interim head coach in 2016 before joining Harsin. Kiesau was 0-4 in his interim head coaching stint.

His coaching career began at Utah State and also went through Cal, Washington and Colorado, where he worked under Dan Hawkins, the former Boise State coach who gave Harsin his start.

Kiesau was an offensive coordinator at Colorado (2009-10) and Washington (2012-13). His best season was 2013, when the Huskies finished No. 26 in the country in yards per play.
https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...ootballs-new-wide-receivers-coach/8357476002/

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lis...story-colorado-washington-fresno-st-boise-st/

Last edited:

Florida Hiring Former Auburn OC in Analyst Role​

Florida is hiring former Auburn and Boise State offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau in an off-field role.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...hiring-eric-kiesau-analyst-auburn-boise-state

It’s too soon to tell how large of a role Kiesau will play, but he does have extensive experience calling plays for Boise State, Colorado, Fresno State and Washington in addition to Auburn.

It is worth noting that Auburn’s passing game didn’t thrive while Kiesau was there. Instead, it was the rushing attack that led the way, and Florida has a solid foundation on the ground.

He also specialized in coaching quarterbacks in the past, so Kiesau could work with what is essentially a clean slate in the UF quarterbacks room.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/29/florida-football-eric-kiesau-hire-analyst/

As an analyst, don't think Kiesaus can be on the field during the game; most likely in the press box with a link to Napier.

Other articles claim that in addition to "suggesting plays", Kiesaus may keep track of down & distance & have input into time management decisions.

As an analyst. I assume that he will be scouting future opponents' defensive tendencies & creating / presenting potential offensive game plans to Napier.

Obviously, Billy will make the final decision on what plays to run during the game.

OC Eric Kiesau's history as offensive coordinator​

All this info somewhat dated, but I found it interesting.

Kiesau worked for Harsin four year at Boise State, including three as receivers coach, two as offensive coordinator and one as quarterbacks coach. Kiesau followed Harsin to Auburn.

Most of Kiesau's background is in the West. He played quarterback at Portland State and was Fresno State's interim head coach in 2016 before joining Harsin. Kiesau was 0-4 in his interim head coaching stint.

His coaching career began at Utah State and also went through Cal, Washington and Colorado, where he worked under Dan Hawkins, the former Boise State coach who gave Harsin his start.

Kiesau was an offensive coordinator at Colorado (2009-10) and Washington (2012-13). His best season was 2013, when the Huskies finished No. 26 in the country in yards per play.
https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...ootballs-new-wide-receivers-coach/8357476002/

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lis...story-colorado-washington-fresno-st-boise-st/

Hard to say on that guy but Auburn didn't have the players last season to have a decent passing game.

Where will the Hiring of Kiesaus take us ?

Saban & Smart both started out as ground pounders; not quite Woody Hayes & his "3 yards & a cloud of dust" offense, but close to it. They have changed & embraced the passing game as a way to open up the run game.

Defensive coaching skills, game plans, & the quality of SEC Defensive players makes that necessary.

Napier's hiring of Kiesaus appears to be a recognition of that need to adapt.

If offensive players aren't saying - "I could see myself in that offense." they probably aren't coming to UF.

Most posters, myself included, think we have a deficiency at QB. Much of it stems from circumstances (Kitna, Stokes, Rashada) no one could have anticipated or controlled.

Don't know where we go from here or if Kiesaus will make any difference.

To me, the most important point in bringing Kiesaus onboard, is Napier - realizing the need & being willing to change.

Kirby went through several OCs before he found the right fit.

If Kiesaus isn't the right person, than Napier will quickly recognize it & bring in someone else.

IMO, Billy will set at least one basic parameter for any Coach who takes the Offensive Analyst / OC position - UF isn't looking to recreate the "fun & gun."

Any Coach coming to UF will need to work within the boundaries of a run heavy framework.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT