ADVERTISEMENT

2022 season - what happened and where are things headed?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
If you would have told me we would end up 6-6 pre-bowl after the opening win over Utah I would have never believed it. I would have thought 8-4 at least even if things turned for the worse later.

The bad: Defense looks really lost at times. Hoping there isn't a DC issue here.

AR never seemed to develop where he could read the field well and never got a good touch on his shorter passes. It was also frustrating to watch someone with that running ability only get motivated to use it a few plays a game and some games only on scrambles.

Coach Napier has looked pretty bad with his situational play calling this year at times and really lost when it comes to clock management.

The good moving forward:. A lot of young freshman got playing time this season and look like they have some potential.

Recruiting is going well so far.

The attitude issues won't be here next season apparently as Napier laid the law down finally.

I think there is a chance to have a decent season next year if we can get a good experienced QB (already proven) in the portal to come here for one season as a bridge to a young QB taking over

Reactions: Razorback_Nole
If you would have told me we would end up 6-6 pre-bowl after the opening win over Utah I would have never believed it. I would have thought 8-4 at least even if things turned for the worse later.

The bad: Defense looks really lost at times. Hoping there isn't a DC issue here.

AR never seemed to develop where he could read the field well and never got a good touch on his shorter passes. It was also frustrating to watch someone with that running ability only get motivated to use it a few plays a game and some games only on scrambles.

Coach Napier has looked pretty bad with his situational play calling this year at times and really lost when it comes to clock management.

The good moving forward:. A lot of young freshman got playing time this season and look like they have some potential.

The attitude issues won't be here next season apparently as Napier laid the law down finally.

I think there is a chance to have a decent season next year if we can get a good experienced QB (already proven) in the portal to come here for one season as a bridge to a young QB taking over
Agree with most of what you said. We simply have to get more top quality players at just about every position. The defense was horrible and drastic improvement is needed on that side of the ball if we're going to become any type of contender. I like much of what the new coach has done in regards to bringing in all the behind-the scenes staff and ramping up recruiting. He has to make sure all these commits sign, get a handful more big time plays and then hit the portal hard to fill specific needs. I was disappointed in a lot of Napier's in-game strategies and play calling. The losses to Kentucky, Vandy and FSU didn't have to happen and the goal next year should be 10 wins, although the schedule is tough once again. At Utah, Kentucky, LSU, South Carolina and Missouri, plus Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas and FSU gives the team quite a challenge.

The reality is this Gator team had the least amount of talent of any Gator team since probably 1979. 6-6 is what most of the experts were predicting preseason. The kids certainly played hard and we always seemed to keep fighting. The biggest negatives to me are play calling at times and clock management. Now as to play calling not sure how much of that is Nap or Richardson. Richardson did like to check off quite often. Hold together a top 10 class, hit the portal for some defensive help, and lets see what happens. Next year Nap needs to be in the 8-9 win range.

Just thinking if we were told before the season we would beat Utah and win @A&M I think many of us would be thinking we might be in contention for the playoff as Tenn was not thought to be able to upset Bama etc.

Hoping we can have a big turnaround next season with the freshman that got time this season and a few incoming ones being talented enough to contribute as the season progresses. Bama got that in 2008 but those remaining Shula players were more talented than the Mullen guys we have despite the recruiting rankings being about the same.

MaxPreps HS Stats:

2020-21 Jr - 13 Gms
Passing - 88 of 121 72.7% for 1,666 Yds, 18.9 Ave, 27 TD's, 6 Ints, QBR 133.7
Rushing - 154 for 992 Yds, 6.4 YPC, 13 TD's, 1 LPF.

2021-22 Sr - 14 Gms
Passing - 167 of 235 71.1% for 2,750 Yds, 16.5 Ave, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
Rushing - 173 for 1,343 Yds, 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, 0 LPF

Combined Jr/St HS - 27 Gms
Passing - 255 of 356 71.6% for 4,416 Yds, 17.3 Ave, 68 TD's, 10 Ints, QBR 141.3
Rushing - 327 for 2,335 Yds, 7.1 YPC, 33 TD's, 1 LPF

Total 2 Season Total Offense - 683 for 6,751 Yds, 101 TD's, 11 TO's

Do you have a crush on Maxine?
That might be against the board rules?
=====

Began going 5 of 7 (71.4%), then went 4 of 20 (20%) the rest of the way....
For a 9 of 27, (33.3%) game passing, with 151 Yds, 3 TD's and 1 Int.
Did not complete a pass in the entire 3rd Qtr.
Last 3 passes, Incomplete, Incomplete, Incomplete, game over.... 😏

VS

Throwing 13 of 30 (43.3%), but 270 Yds, 1 TD, 0 Ints.
While running for 83 Yds and 2 TD's.
And they scored 17 unanswered points in the 3rd Qtr.

Insta,
You can't put our lack of Defense on AR, but agree with everything else you said.

Napier & his staff not good at half-time adjustments.

I would also point out that FSU QB Jordan Travis slipped out of numerous tackles & overall played a better game than AR.
Our defense has been horrible all year. AR's inconsistencies definitely hurt the offense, but the defense was just plain bad. Plus, our special teams left a lot to be desired.

Insta,
You can't put our lack of Defense on AR, but agree with everything else you said.

Napier & his staff not good at half-time adjustments.

I would also point out that FSU QB Jordan Travis slipped out of numerous tackles & overall played a better game than AR.
That defense is all 3rd and Grantham's fault.... 😉

No talent on this team. You can thank Mullen and Co. for that. 6-6 was what most experts predicted at beginning of the season it's just how we got there was odd. Other than LSU game, we were in every game this season..had cut the uga lead to 8 in the 2nd half so not horrible. Get a top 10 class, hit the portal and lets see if there is any improvement in year 2.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
No talent on this team. You can thank Mullen and Co. for that. 6-6 was what most experts predicted at beginning of the season it's just how we got there was odd. Other than LSU game, we were in every game this season..had cut the uga lead to 8 in the 2nd half so not horrible. Get a top 10 class, hit the portal and lets see if there is any improvement in year 2.
You'd better stay away from the recruit class player stars and their position rankings if you're going to make inaccurate claims like that Cg1..... 😉

Progress:
Mullen 6-6
Napier 6-6
Marvelous....

(coaches and player quality may not be the root of the problems in the program....)

Outsider perspective

Before the Utah game I thought the Gators could pull 8 wins. The Utah win showed resiliency and wanting to play for Napier (and that held all the way through to the Fsu game). However, when I watched the Utah game a few red flags popped up, lack of depth, Richardson not totally being in sync with Napier on offense (this really showed in Kentucky game), and Napier game management (also bad in the Kentucky game). Now maybe Napier was doing what Norvell did his first yr and just going for it because he knew he didn't have the horses, I distinctly remember Norvell making "bone headed" decisions to go for it on 4th down because he had no trust in the defense and knew he had to score.

I think for the Gators, they found out like most teams with first yr head coaches that in this new ESD and TP era, it's SOOO hard to be successful in yr 1 under a new HC. Hell, I think it's hard to be successful in yr 2 as well but you should see growth. I don't think quick turnarounds are going to exist much anymore, you have teams that stacked 5 yrs of great classes on top of each other so catching them in 2 yrs when your first recruiting yr is basically a wash and your 2nd cycle, although very good (like Napier is doing) is still going to only be freshman the next yr. So you have to rely on portal and usually there aren't elite players in the portal, at least not to the caliber of national championship type players (usually). So it's hard to build a team that can face UGA, Bama, Oh St, etc because they have such a head start. I think coaches need almost 4 yrs now.

Napier clearly can recruit, and his players play very hard for him. He's a smart offensive coach (he probably had the best gameplan against us except for 3rd quarter). Not sure if he can win a NC or an even an SEC title (think we have to wait and see on those because yr 1 just doesn't tell me a lot). I know he can recruit tho.... talent acquisition is the main ingredient to building a great team so he's on his way to at least "more green" pastures.

Outsider perspective

Napier game management (also bad in the Kentucky game).
Wearing toooooooooo many hats - HC, QBC, OC - not Spurrier - needs an OC/QBC !
I don't think quick turnarounds are going to exist much anymore, you have teams that stacked 5 yrs of great classes on top of each other so catching them in 2 yrs when your first recruiting yr is basically a wash and your 2nd cycle, although very good (like Napier is doing) is still going to only be freshman the next yr.
Many posters on this board have expressed the opinion that legal NIL $$$ available to many teams will dilute the stacked talent waiting to play at Bama, UGA, tOSU, etc.

Could happen but it still remains to be seen. TAMU had the #1 class that money could buy & they have imploded which validates the fact that True Fresh are NOT going to change the CFB World & the CFP.
So you have to rely on portal and usually there aren't elite players in the portal, at least not to the caliber of national championship type players (usually). So it's hard to build a team that can face UGA, Bama, Oh St, etc because they have such a head start. I think coaches need almost 4 yrs now.
Absolutely agree; IMO, most common reason players enter portal is lack of Playing Time. One of the only teams to have great success from Portal is USCw - but their coach - Lincoln Riley stole many great players from Oklahoma before he even took over at USCw; so not a true test of portal player analysis & "recruiting."
Napier - not sure if he can win a NC or an even an SEC title (yr 1 just doesn't tell me a lot). I know he can recruit tho.... talent acquisition is the main ingredient to building a great team so he's on his way to at least "more green" pastures.
Agree with his ability to create a recruiting organization & his personal strength as a recruiter & with talent acquisition being essential.

Not sure if I agree with his talent as an offensive coach & game planer. Too many fake jet sweeps - which fooled no one etc.

But this is year 1 & time will tell.

Reactions: fsu939913
You'd better stay away from the recruit class player stars and their position rankings if you're going to make inaccurate claims like that Cg1..... 😉

Progress:
Mullen 6-6
Napier 6-6
Marvelous....

(coaches and player quality may not be the root of the problems in the program....)
I go by NFL talent and we have very little.... Mullen was not a good recruiter and we have paid the price last year and this year. We also have no depth, again poor previous recruiting. My claim is very accurate and will be proven come April at the NFL draft

I'm of the opinion that a good recruiting class, the firing of Toney, and the hiring of a DC, OC, and qb coach that aren't all the same person and not named Napier and we are headed in the right direction. But all of that has to happen not some of it.

But what do I know, I'm here to be snarky to strangers and post cat memes.

I'm of the opinion that a good recruiting class, the firing of Toney, and the hiring of a DC, OC, and qb coach that aren't all the same person and not named Napier and we are headed in the right direction. But all of that has to happen not some of it.

But what do I know, I'm here to be snarky to strangers and post cat memes.
I think we get a really good recruiting class and no changes to the coaching staff.

I think we get a really good recruiting class and no changes to the coaching staff.
Correct. There isn’t going to be many changes to the coaching staff. Not after 1 season. It just doesn’t happen very often.

Here’s the problem. Most head coaches at a top university have had tremendous success in getting where they are. This is why it is so difficult to get them to let go of the most important responsibilities on the team. Once you get them to realize that they are spread too thin and delegate some responsibility then things will progress.

There is definitely a talent gap between us and Uga. That gap is mammoth.

There is a small gap between us and UT.

There is a small gap between us and LSU.

We have the talent gap over FSU slightly or it's at least even.

We have a huge talent gap over Vanderbilt.

Toss the talent gap when comparing Kentucky. We SHOULD have more talent but let's debate if necessary.

6-6 shouldn't have happened.

His stubbornness to keep AR in full-time is the fault of his own. That was one of the weakest links on offense if not THE weakest.

Defense was the main problem all year. I agree that QB inconsistency was an issue, but the offense was much better than the defense.

Reactions: Nicktheslick

Toss the talent gap when comparing Kentucky. We SHOULD have more talent but let's debate if necessary.

His stubbornness to keep AR in full-time is the fault of his own. That was one of the weakest links on offense if not THE weakest.
This is another NIL issue and the problems that NIL is going to cause. Very hard to bench a guy that is getting upwards of $1M. That is why it ks best if AR goes pro so we aren’t tied down by that anymore and the fact that he’s a pretty average QB.

Per 247 Composite Recruit Class Rankings:

2018 - #14 UF - 20 - 0 - 13 - 7 - 90.75 - Transition class
2019 -- #9 UF - 26 - 0 - 17 - 8 - 90.56
2020 -- #9 UF - 24 - 1 - 17 - 5 - 90.74
2021 - #12 UF - 23 - 1 - 15 - 7 - 90.51
Average - #11 - 23 - .5 - 15 - 7 - 90.64

2022 - #18 UF - 20 - 0 - 7 - 11 - 88.88 - Transition class
Not Signed Yet:
2023 -- #8 UF - 22 - 0 - 18 - 4

=====

As to Offense / Defense 2022 Points Scored:
UF --- 490 / 12 = 40.8
Opp - 355 / 12 = 29.6
But that means NADA due to the differences in the competition levels.
UF 52 - 17 EWa - (+35)
UF 20 - 42 UGly - (-22)

Offense in 6 Games that were Lost:
16 - 33 - 35 - 20 - 24 - 38
Inconsistency on both offense and defense from game to game was the problem imo.

Five of the 6 losses were by 10 Pts or less -- 10 / 5 / 10 / 22 / 7 / 7
=====

In Aug I said that Max Brown should be getting pushed in the offense, and that he should have been AR's backup and getting a little playing time in games when possible, to prepare him for 2023.
Ah well.... 😏

Breaking News -- Jalen Kitna Arrested Wednesday
Kitna was charged with two counts of distribution of child exploitation material and three counts of possession of child sexual images. according to the Alachua County Clerk of Court's website.

Last edited:

What about talent gap vs Utah? South Carolina? Offense was inconsistent, but our defense was the biggest issue. We had no depth and very little talent. We had guys starting on D that would not for 3/4 of the other sec teams. If this recruiting class holds together it will be our best since 2013. No doubt Napier saw the same potential in AR that all of these NFL scouts are seeing. Vandy game only one that we should not have lost. 6-6 is where almost all the experts had us pre-season. Let's see how year 2 works out before we declare him a bust. On a side note, KY had 1 more draftee last year than UF and it looks like same for this year. Mullen's recruiting classes were busts...

This is another NIL issue and the problems that NIL is going to cause. Very hard to bench a guy that is getting upwards of $1M. That is why it ks best if AR goes pro so we aren’t tied down by that anymore and the fact that he’s a pretty average QB.
Getting paid 7.1 million he needs to worry about his own salary and expectations not what a collective and all else are paying players.

You see the pro guys make QB changes when warranted no matter the salary. Those coaches are interested in keeping their jobs, not the QB's jobs due to salary. The Jets coach with Zach Wilson and Mike White. The Saints with Crab Winston and Andy Dalton. The Commanders didn't hesitate to bench Haskins (RIP) and so on and so fourth.

What about talent gap vs Utah? South Carolina? Offense was inconsistent, but our defense was the biggest issue. We had no depth and very little talent. We had guys starting on D that would not for 3/4 of the other sec teams. If this recruiting class holds together it will be our best since 2013. No doubt Napier saw the same potential in AR that all of these NFL scouts are seeing. Vandy game only one that we should not have lost. 6-6 is where almost all the experts had us pre-season. Let's see how year 2 works out before we declare him a bust. On a side note, KY had 1 more draftee last year than UF and it looks like same for this year. Mullen's recruiting classes were busts...
Utah is the one shining example. That's it.

Don't really see South Carolina having a talent gap over UF. Any old recruiting rankings or as you said who will be drafted by the NFL.

Sure South Carolina basically knocked two potential CFP out of any hope of making the playoffs but that was coaching using whatever talent he had to benefit whatever advantage he could find.

We are talking South Carolina, yes the team that beat UT and Clemson but the same South Carolina that lost to Arkansas and Missouri. The same South Carolina that only put up 7 points vs UGA.

South Carolina is not a measuring stick of talent gaps.

Yes I'm glad we won that game though. Kept us bowl eligible.

Reactions: EvilWayz
Both USC and LSU went hard at the portal and they had immediate success. Napier took a more conservative approach to the portal. He will need to hit the portal much more aggressively this year. We need help along the lines, tight end, linebacker and O-line.

Yep Mullen seemed to not hit on many of his 4 stars. I doubt we have the 12th best potential talent in the country despite that composite saying we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT