ADVERTISEMENT

2019 recruiting class pointing to major recruiting problems?

Article on Gridiron now ( not first article about 3* Dans recruiting )

When should lizzerds fans start to panic ?

http://gridironnow.com/when-should-gator-fans-begin-panicking-about-2019-recruiting-class/

@Gator Fever

Another excuse piece trying to blame the recruiting results rather than the people doing the recruiting. That is no excuse at a school like UF. Heck we were a ND loss to USC away from the 2012 BCS Championship game and were just in 2 SEC Championship games. A lot more than Texas or Texas A&M can pitch to recruits about recent years and look at their new coaches recruiting in their first full year.

Reactions: nail1988
Another excuse piece trying to blame the recruiting results rather than the people doing the recruiting. That is no excuse at a school like UF. Heck we were a ND loss to USC away from the 2012 BCS Championship game and were just in 2 SEC Championship games. A lot more than Texas or Texas A&M can pitch to recruits about recent years and look at their new coaches recruiting in their first full year.

I would be more on board with your overall sentiment if Mullen and staff hadn't come in last second and completely turned around a class that was struggling at best.

I just wish you'd chill on this room and gloom for a bit.

You've referenced it before, you want to be on the cutting edge like BONG (see what happened to him) but at least give it a chance.

Skepticism is fine, but constantly complaining about it ad nauseum? I don't even get what's appealing about that mind set.

In 2-3 years when the majority of Mullen's recruits aren't contributing.

Till then, it's just silliness.

No its not but what is pathetic is we will have to win a mini lottery to be any better than 7th in the SEC in recruiting and any better than a 14th Rivals class nationally.

Hopefully more media places pick up on this like the fans are now doing so if Mullen is one of those hard heads it might get him to change his tune and get some recruiters in here so we aren't the recruiting joke in the SEC for the 2020 class also.

Reactions: BucaNole
I can't believe they didn't get anyone to announce at FNL. Sounds like 3 or so might sign after the weekend. Should have got a couple of them to do it right after the event.

Reactions: BucaNole
I would be more on board with your overall sentiment if Mullen and staff hadn't come in last second and completely turned around a class that was struggling at best.

I just wish you'd chill on this room and gloom for a bit.

You've referenced it before, you want to be on the cutting edge like BONG (see what happened to him) but at least give it a chance.

Skepticism is fine, but constantly complaining about it ad nauseum? I don't even get what's appealing about that mind set.

Mullen's early results in recruiting are completely expected to anyone who's been paying attention to his career. There's nothing rational to be upset or complaining about at this point.

Picked up a very good 2020 QB. QB recruiting is no longer a problem under Mullen and staff.

That’s the thing that’s going to allow us to compete consistently IF we don’t sign elite classes. Most college QB’s just straight up aren’t very good. If we can turn out very good to elite QB’s every year we’ll be one step ahead.

That’s the thing that’s going to allow us to compete consistently IF we don’t sign elite classes. Most college QB’s just straight up aren’t very good. If we can turn out very good to elite QB’s every year we’ll be one step ahead.
Agreed. We are going to have good QB play again and that’s half the battle.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Agreed. We are going to have good QB play again and that’s half the battle.

Dak Prescott was a 3-star when MSU signed him. Another reason why I chuckle at some here wringing their hands over Mullen signing 3 stars. He took Miss State to #1 for a month in 2014 with a team full of 3-stars.

Dak Prescott was a 3-star when MSU signed him. Another reason why I chuckle at some here wringing their hands over Mullen signing 3 stars. He took Miss State to #1 for a month in 2014 with a team full of 3-stars.

Lol You are now repeating Mullen's nonsense now that he is being called out on this crappy recruiting. Are you with the University?

Mullen's early results in recruiting are completely expected to anyone who's been paying attention to his career. There's nothing rational to be upset or complaining about at this point.

So we can expect to have a class ranked about # 25 in 2020 after this mediocre 2019 class in the teens?

Lol You are now repeating Mullen's nonsense now that he is being called out on this crappy recruiting. Are you with the University?

Maybe you should stop star-gazing in July and listen to us both. Anyone that understands recruiting and Dan Mullen isn't surprised by any of this.

So we can expect to have a class ranked about # 25 in 2020 after this mediocre 2019 class in the teens?

If Mullen signs a full class in 2019, I suspect it will be either Top 10 or Top 15. I suspect the 2020 class will be Top 5 or Top 10, if he signs a full class.

Maybe you should stop star-gazing in July and listen to us both. Anyone that understands recruiting and Dan Mullen isn't surprised by any of this.

If Mullen signs a full class in 2019, I suspect it will be either Top 10 or Top 15. I suspect the 2020 class will be Top 5 or Top 10, if he signs a full class.

Mullen isn't going to sniff the top 10 this class. His Rivals ceiling is probably a mediocre 14th. Any coach with 9 years could point something like that out just like the busts could be pointed out. He needs to make changes or he will be fired after 3 years. If he follows his past pattern we will drop about another 6 places from 2019's class ranking in 2020.

Mullen isn't going to sniff the top 10 this class. His Rivals ceiling is probably a mediocre 14th. Any coach with 9 years could point something like that out just like the busts could be pointed out. He needs to make changes or he will be fired after 3 years. If he follows his past pattern we will drop about another 6 places from 2019's class ranking in 2020.

Do us all a favor and SHUT UP.

Do you think this kind of attitude helps recruiting? It's a good thing this is a dead board.

You have your opinion, fine. You made it. Now MOVE ON.

Do you think this kind of attitude helps recruiting? It's a good thing this is a dead board.

He’s just another troll which is about all that we seem to get on these boards these days. It’s the same narrative over and over and over and over again. He will continue to make this same point I’m sure 50 more times.

He’s just another troll which is about all that we seem to get on these boards these days. It’s the same narrative over and over and over and over again. He will continue to make this same point I’m sure 50 more times.

If you're calling for staff changes and your coach hasn't coached a down, then you either don't understand college football, or suck at trolling. Maybe both.

Nope its unrealistic sunshine pumpers that got us into this mess with these recent coaches in the first place and yes the other big schools recruiting well with new coaches now had fans on the boards and twitter etc. going crazy about their situations just like some of our fans do. Either enough pressure ends up being put on Mullen to get some recruiters in here or this will be another failed experiment like the last two.

I do like it people are speaking up on boards that used to try to silence the non sunshine pumpers however. I was shocked at some of the posts I have read at some other sites who are busier. It is a good sign.

Last edited:
If you're calling for staff changes and your coach hasn't coached a down, then you either don't understand college football, or suck at trolling. Maybe both.

Nope you are a sunshine pumping fool if you think this is acceptable and shouldn't be called out. Its people like you that got Muschamp a 4th year at UF and would have got Mac a 4th year if not for his death threats meltdown.

Yep a troll that has been posting for years and actually was caught up in the sunshine with Muschamp and Mac at first. The reason the negative talk is all over the net even at places that use to not allow that level of negativity is people have had it wih the mess and are hoping changes are made so we aren't in the same boat in a couple of years.

Nope its unrealistic sunshine pumpers that got us into this mess with these recent coaches in the first place and yes the other big schools recruiting well with new coaches now had fans on the boards and twitter etc. going crazy about their situations just like some of our fans do. Either enough pressure ends up being put on Mullen to get some recruiters in here or this will be another failed experiment like the last two.

I do like it people are speaking up on boards that used to try to silence the non sunshine pumpers however. I was shocked at some of the posts I have read at some other sites who are busier. It is a good sign.

Oh dear god dude what are you? 15?

This is ridiculous.

Oh dear god dude what are you? 15?

This is ridiculous.

Yep says the guy that defended the last 2 guys until right near the end. I will admit I made that mistake with Muschamp a little. Hopefully the sunshine pumpers get overwhelmed this time and Dan feels enough pressure to make the needed changes before its too late. It would suck bad if the pumpers provide him enough cover to continue on as he is doing right now.

Nope you are a sunshine pumping fool if you think this is acceptable and shouldn't be called out. Its people like you that got Muschamp a 4th year at UF and would have got Mac a 4th year if not for his death threats meltdown.

If what is acceptable? Again, I don't think you understand how recruiting or college football works.

Mullen has signed one class at Florida. It was the highest star average for a Florida class since 2010, and 3rd highest in the SEC behind only Alabama and Georgia.

That's good. That's very good.

You are judging the 2019 class based on commitments. Again, you don't understand how recruiting works. Nothing counts till the LOI is signed. It could be that Mullen has 5 private commitments that you don't know about. It could be that 5 of the current 3-star commits have been told that they no longer have an offer.

You judge classes when they sign, not in July. Unless, you want people to assume that you have no idea what you are talking about, in which case.....carry on.

If what is acceptable? Again, I don't think you understand how recruiting or college football works.

Mullen has signed one class at Florida. It was the highest star average for a Florida class since 2010, and 3rd highest in the SEC behind only Alabama and Georgia.

That's good. That's very good.

You are judging the 2019 class based on commitments. Again, you don't understand how recruiting works. Nothing counts till the LOI is signed. It could be that Mullen has 5 private commitments that you don't know about. It could be that 5 of the current 3-star commits have been told that they no longer have an offer.

You judge classes when they sign, not in July. Unless, you want people to assume that you have no idea what you are talking about, in which case.....carry on.

Lol Mullen's recruiting is a complete joke right now and if he tracks his MSU start it will remain a joke next class also. You can pump sunshine all you want but this class will be a joke 14th or worse in the Rivals rankings at the end. Could be as bad as 20th or so.

I am judging it on the future not what is signed.

The reason the negative talk is all over the net even at places that use to not allow that level of negativity is people have had it wih the mess and are hoping changes are made so we aren't in the same boat in a couple of years.

Ok, let's follow your plan then: You give Mullen a list of the coaches that you think aren't cutting it in recruiting.

Mullen calls them into his office tomorrow.

"Guys, I hate to do this, but I'm gonna have to let each of you go. Rivals poster Gator_Fever thinks our 2019 recruiting class should be hired than it is, and changes have to be made to save the program."

"Are you serious?"

"It's not me, it's Gator_Fever."

So Mullen fires......let's say 3 coaches that you think are 'bad' recruiters. First, firing coaches a few days before Fall camp starts is completely idiotic, but this is your plan, so we'll roll with it.

Mullen now has to start interviewing coaches at a time when he was supposed to be working with the coaches to get Fall camp structured. But you just told him to fire them, so he's doing interviews instead.

He starts interviewing coaches. Let's say the first one Mullen likes, and he offers him the job. The coach says "Coach, I love the offer and love your program here. The only thing that worries me is.....if I've been on the job for 2 months and I haven't gotten a couple of 5-star commits, is Gator_Fever or another internet poster going to tell you that you have to fire me?"

Mullen looks at his feet sheepishly, "Probably so."

"Right, well I think I'm gonna have to pass then."

Reactions: PlutoDroid
Ok, let's follow your plan then: You give Mullen a list of the coaches that you think aren't cutting it in recruiting.

Mullen calls them into his office tomorrow.

"Guys, I hate to do this, but I'm gonna have to let each of you go. Rivals poster Gator_Fever thinks our 2019 recruiting class should be hired than it is, and changes have to be made to save the program."

"Are you serious?"

"It's not me, it's Gator_Fever."

So Mullen fires......let's say 3 coaches that you think are 'bad' recruiters. First, firing coaches a few days before Fall camp starts is completely idiotic, but this is your plan, so we'll roll with it.

Mullen now has to start interviewing coaches at a time when he was supposed to be working with the coaches to get Fall camp structured. But you just told him to fire them, so he's doing interviews instead.

He starts interviewing coaches. Let's say the first one Mullen likes, and he offers him the job. The coach says "Coach, I love the offer and love your program here. The only thing that worries me is.....if I've been on the job for 2 months and I haven't gotten a couple of 5-star commits, is Gator_Fever or another internet poster going to tell you that you have to fire me?"

Mullen looks at his feet sheepishly, "Probably so."

"Right, well I think I'm gonna have to pass then."

Hevesy, Knox, Ron English, and Charlton Warren are all substandard recruiters I think. While some may be good at the actual coaching you have to have a couple of guys to pull in the top talent. Heck RB is a position that it doesn't take a genius to make a good position coach either.

Either Mullen makes the needed changes after this season to have a few good recruiters or he will suffer the same fate as the last 2 coaches. You wont be competing seriously in the SEC with this level of recruiting so far. One good thing they did with Mullen's contract was make it to where it didnt change things firing him after year 3 instead of after year 4 if things don't work out. In both cases he is owed 12 million with 6 million of it due in 30 days and the other 6 million over a 6 year time frame.

Either Mullen makes the needed changes after this season to have a few good recruiters or he will suffer the same fate as the last 2 coaches. You wont be competing seriously in the SEC with this level of recruiting so far. One good thing they did with Mullen's contract was make it to where it didnt change things firing him after year 3 instead of after year 4 if things don't work out. In both cases he is owed 12 million with 6 million of it due in 30 days and the other 6 million over a 6 year time frame.

Steve Spurrier did ok and his first class was far worse than Mullen's.

If recruiting was all that counted, Ron Zook would still be at Florida.

Mullen will never be as good of a recruiter as Kirby Smart is. On the other hand, Kirby will likely never be as good at player development and coaching as Mullen is.

Those who actually understand the game know that a coach who can develop players is far more valuable than a coach who can recruit. Ideally you want both, but if you can only choose one, the smart fan will pick player development every time.

Reactions: rdgtr
Steve Spurrier did ok and his first class was far worse than Mullen's.

If recruiting was all that counted, Ron Zook would still be at Florida.

Mullen will never be as good of a recruiter as Kirby Smart is. On the other hand, Kirby will likely never be as good at player development and coaching as Mullen is.

Those who actually understand the game know that a coach who can develop players is far more valuable than a coach who can recruit. Ideally you want both, but if you can only choose one, the smart fan will pick player development every time.

lol Here is what development will get you when you dont have the horses to compete - See Mullen's 3 - 34 record against teams that ended up in the final AP top 25 that season.

Also on Aug 1st it is pretty much a lock you wont be in the top SEC schools in recruiting that class if you don't have a decent sized base of blue chippers already committed by that point.

lol Here is what development will get you when you dont have the horses to compete - See Mullen's 3 - 34 record against teams that ended up in the final AP top 25 that season.

Also on Aug 1st it is pretty much a lock you wont be in the top SEC schools in recruiting that class if you don't have a decent sized base of blue chippers already committed by that point.

You actually make a good point, without realizing it. Player development is tougher when you have sub-par facilities, as Mullen did at MSU.

Now he's at Florida, which has far better facilities, so his player development efforts will be accelerated greatly. Couple that stud 3.78 star average class with Mullen's stud player development and Florida's stud facilities and they will probably win a lot of games before they leave Florida.

Now you're getting it!

Lol Mullen's recruiting is a complete joke right now and if he tracks his MSU start it will remain a joke next class also. You can pump sunshine all you want but this class will be a joke 14th or worse in the Rivals rankings at the end. Could be as bad as 20th or so.

I am judging it on the future not what is signed.

That is just ignorance and remembering things how you want to remember them.

You've been the most negative person on this board for at least the last 2 years.

This off superiority complex you've developed is really awkward.

That is just ignorance and remembering things how you want to remember them.

You've been the most negative person on this board for at least the last 2 years.

This off superiority complex you've developed is really awkward.

If you remember I was making excuses for Mac's offense until late in the second year. Muschamp I didn't jump on really bad until 2014 when he kept putting Driskel in there. I was pissed some prior to that they kept putting Driskel in at QB earlier when it was clear he was a lost cause but wasn't calling for the coach's head yet.. I think it was that nightmare Missouri game in 14 that made me go all in to get rid of Muschamp. 2013 I kind of wrote off because our starting QB literally couldn't even raise one of his arms above shoulder level after getting injured.

Last edited:
If you remember I was making excuses for Mac's offense until late in the second year. Muschamp I didn't jump on really bad until 2014 when he kept putting Driskel in there. I was pissed some prior to that they kept putting Driskel in at QB earlier when it was clear he was a lost cause but wasn't calling for the coach's head yet.. I think it was that nightmare Missouri game in 14 that made me go all in to get rid of Muschamp. 2013 I kind of wrote off because our starting QB literally couldn't even raise one of his arms above shoulder level after getting injured.

I just always had hope. Maybe that's the difference.

I couldn't fathom how Driskell could go into his junior year and not get better, let alone regress.

I eventually realized that Muschamp wasn't going to work here and it disappointed me because I really wanted him to succeed, if for no other reason than he really did care and he wanted to win, yet there were plenty of people who honestly believed he didn't.

I was done with mac about a quarter into the Michigan game.

He didn't give a **** about us. I was pissed that I'd been sold on a snake oil man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT