ADVERTISEMENT

2019 QB, Jones, Franks or Hurts?

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
I know Hurts is a longshot but, I think most of us would take him in a second. He’s much better than the last Grad. transfer we had in 2016 Malik Zaire and Mullen is somewhat better than Jim McElwain when it comes to QB development.
Let’s say it comes down to Felipe Franks and Emory Jones. Does he make a switch or stay with Franks? If he does make a switch will he gradually do it or all of a sudden? Franks would probably quit if he’s replaced.

Franks main issues in my book are his accuracy and decision making. Remember the Georgia game on our first offensive play and he misses a WIDE OPEN WR for a easy T.D.? Or the awful Interception he threw on the Georgia 20 yard line.
The Kentucky game he was 17-38 for 232 yards and the Missouri game he was 9 or 22 for like 75 yards. Those are both in the 40% range and for the year he was 58.5% or about 4% better than 2017 but, still well below the 63-68% range of most great QB’s. ( Or over 70% as Baker Mayfield did last year )

We got a TOUGH schedule in 2019 so, I don’t see a S.E.C. Title but, 2020 will be OUR year, CFP and all.

I’ll pull this thread up 12/14/20 and you all can kiss my Dirty feet.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
If Jones wasn’t in the picture I’d 100% be down with Hurts. Idk if Mullen will want to go that route now though because of Jones.

Reactions: seffnergator
2019 QB Roster if nobody leaves.

Franks rsJr EE
Trask rsJr EE
E.Jones rsFr EE - 6-2 199
J.Jones Fr EE - 6-4 215 4.45/40 @ Elite 11

=====
Sproles rsJr WO
J.Jackson rsFr P-WO - Ath--QB-dt, CB, WR, KR
-----
L.Matthews Fr - P-WO
J.Seider Fr - WO

Hurts is a top quality QB-dt, but I can't see any need for him to come to UF.
The days of taking someone else's xfer QB's has ended,,,, hopefully....

I know Hurts is a longshot but, I think most of us would take him in a second. He’s much better than the last Grad. transfer we had in 2016 Malik Zaire and Mullen is somewhat better than Jim McElwain when it comes to QB development.
Let’s say it comes down to Felipe Franks and Emory Jones. Does he make a switch or stay with Franks? If he does make a switch will he gradually do it or all of a sudden? Franks would probably quit if he’s replaced.

Franks main issues in my book are his accuracy and decision making. Remember the Georgia game on our first offensive play and he misses a WIDE OPEN WR for a easy T.D.? Or the awful Interception he threw on the Georgia 20 yard line.
The Kentucky game he was 17-38 for 232 yards and the Missouri game he was 9 or 22 for like 75 yards. Those are both in the 40% range and for the year he was 58.5% or about 4% better than 2017 but, still well below the 63-68% range of most great QB’s. ( Or over 70% as Baker Mayfield did last year )

We got a TOUGH schedule in 2019 so, I don’t see a S.E.C. Title but, 2020 will be OUR year, CFP and all.

I’ll pull this thread up 12/14/20 and you all can kiss my Dirty feet.

Based on your projection of 2020 being our year I would say to start one of the Jones’ so we have an experienced QB entering 2020.

I believe Emory will be given every chance plus some to win the job. Mullen wanta to use his entire offense sooner than later

In Dan I trust. His coaching made great strides with Franks. Can he ultimately become the QB Mullen wants and that the team needs to get to Atlanta? Most doubt it, but I honestly don't know. Maybe Jalon Jones comes in and lights it up. Maybe Emory beats them all out. Maybe Trask wins the job. It's good to have some healthy competition at the position for the 1st time in a long time. May the best man win.

Reactions: instaGATOR
It’s going to be Franks unless he goes completely off the rails or unless Jones looks like tua or something. I don’t love Franks but he had a great year for a sophomore, coming off his year with Mac. People will be talking about him as a draft pick come spring.

Reactions: SwampMaster
In Dan I trust. His coaching made great strides with Franks. Can he ultimately become the QB Mullen wants and that the team needs to get to Atlanta? Most doubt it, but I honestly don't know. Maybe Jalon Jones comes in and lights it up. Maybe Emory beats them all out. Maybe Trask wins the job. It's good to have some healthy competition at the position for the 1st time in a long time. May the best man win.

Mullen maximized Franks....Frabks will never be great or elite, sometimes people dont have it. Franks can be good to average at his peak which is what Dan got from him. Got to give him major props for that because Franks was awful to rotten in yrs past. Dan has 100 percent helped him

It’s going to be Franks unless he goes completely off the rails or unless Jones looks like tua or something. I don’t love Franks but he had a great year for a sophomore, coming off his year with Mac. People will be talking about him as a draft pick come spring.

If any team drafts franks, they are retarded, and i say that knowing teams drafter EJ Maneul and Christian Ponder

If you take out the bad games vs uga and Kentucky and Franks’ completion percentage goes up to 62% for the season.

What’s funny is that he was 50% vs Tenn and 44% bs LSU in games we won.

He was also above 60% in seven games, 70% in three. So the question I have is, why the disparity? Was he more comfortable and confident some times? Was it match up, defense was giving us routes he’s good at? Was it dumb luck? Pregame meal? Double knots on his shoes? Rabbits foot? Who knows?

It’s up to Mullen to figure that out and find a way to deliver good Franks consistently. If he does that then the qb question is settled I think. If he runs it the way he did the last 3 weeks and has an above 60% completion then he’s pretty solid.

Roll with Franks or Emory Jones and let them battle it out for a starting spot next year.

If you take out the bad games vs uga and Kentucky and Franks’ completion percentage goes up to 62% for the season.

What’s funny is that he was 50% vs Tenn and 44% bs LSU in games we won.

He was also above 60% in seven games, 70% in three. So the question I have is, why the disparity? Was he more comfortable and confident some times? Was it match up, defense was giving us routes he’s good at? Was it dumb luck? Pregame meal? Double knots on his shoes? Rabbits foot? Who knows?

It’s up to Mullen to figure that out and find a way to deliver good Franks consistently. If he does that then the qb question is settled I think. If he runs it the way he did the last 3 weeks and has an above 60% completion then he’s pretty solid.

Mental. When he’s not in his own head he can make throws only a handful of QB’s college and pro can make. Like the strike against UGA. That was on a rope over the LB and in between a safety into like a 5 yard window. Then the very next play he’ll come back and airmail a wide open receiver. Whenever he starts good he stays that way, a few bad throws and it just snowballs. It’s all mental.

Mental. When he’s not in his own head he can make throws only a handful of QB’s college and pro can make. Like the strike against UGA. That was on a rope over the LB and in between a safety into like a 5 yard window. Then the very next play he’ll come back and airmail a wide open receiver. Whenever he starts good he stays that way, a few bad throws and it just snowballs. It’s all mental.
Correct. Which is why I think Mullen tries to get him some easy throws early to try and build up some confidence and get into a rythm.

Exactly, give them all an equal shot at the job, and then may the best QB win the job on the field. o_O

And preferably not one that needs to be constantly spoon fed... :cool:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT