ADVERTISEMENT

Why do coaches fall all over themselves to coach at UF?

GatorGray

Bull Gator
Apr 3, 2002
Mac gave up $3 mil of his own money to pay his buyout and have a chance to coach here. Coach White turned down Tennessee for an offer of more money last year.

We all talk about , the location (particularly w.r.t. recruiting areas), the size of the school, the budget, the conference in which we play, etc.

It is so much more than that. Read THIS article and you will get a better understanding of how all of the coaches are helping one another succeed.

UF is truly the gold Standard on how to build an athletic department.

He's made a couple of really bad football hires, which is the most important single decision he has to make, but other than that he has built an amazing athletic program. The resources he has, money, geography, recruiting base, are unsurpassed. But he has put them to great use.

If I were primarily a football fan, I might feel differently, but I give him big credit for the basketball, baseball and track and field programs. Women's softball too, although I don't get into that as much.

What I love about the athletic program as a whole is the pride all the alumni take in being Gators. Like when Demarco gator chomped when he won in Atlanta, or Joakim trash talked the Ohio State football team during the Cavaliers series.

UF has all the tools for an AD to be succesful. For the most part Foley has done just that.

Not sure however how he sat down to interview Zook and Mushcamp and came away thinking these guys would make a good head football coach at the University of Florida.

UF has all the tools for an AD to be succesful. For the most part Foley has done just that.

Not sure however how he sat down to interview Zook and Mushcamp and came away thinking these guys would make a good head football coach at the University of Florida.

I agree with you...Zook was really out of left field. Muschamp had a bit more 'cred' with being the HCIW for a few years at Texas. Both were/are great recruiters. At least Muschamp was on defense (not so much on offense). They just did not get the "big picture". Meyer, of course, got the big picture. Unfortunately for you guys, he had his 'medical issues' and bailed.

I was definitely on board with the Muschamp hire. Going from Spurrier to Ron Zook was a serious WTF moment.

Being on board as a fan is allot different than being in the position of making the hire.
We only see the persona for the most part. The person hiring should have a better read than just a fan.
Muschamp is a bad head coach period.

This also doesn't take into the account we shouldn't have to hire a first time head coach at UF in the first place.

Foley is the best in the business. That's why coaches come to UF, because coaches want to win and there's no better way to win than to work for an AD who loves winning just as much.

Unfortunately we still have a few knuckleheads who think Foley is overrated and should step down. Fecking hilarious!!:rolleyes:

wow so coaches come to UF because of Foley?

So i guess if Foley was say the AD for Vanderbilt he could have gotten Meyer to be their head coach?

Hope we never lose him.

11139363_10204740516538926_2270993165742993956_n.jpg

Zook was the only guy who WOULD sit down with him - everyone else declined.

ec

Last edited:
That is impossible, have you not read the thread? Everyone is beating sown the door to work for Foley

Whether you like Foley or not and whether you think he is a good AD or not, it's a well-known fact that Foley is highly respected in coaching circles and is known as a "coach's AD"

Not saying he doesn't do a good job. I also think many could do a good job as AD of UF.

I just dont' think he hung the moon like some seem to think here.

He made big mistakes in hiring Zook and Muschamp. It is the one sport i think mistakes make the biggest impact because of the money involved.

I think allot of his success has to do with working for UF and what it has to offer.

Tim Walton on Billy talking to the team: “I’m very grateful for him to do that for us. That’s the beauty of coaching at the University of Florida and the culture (athletic director) Jeremy Foley has created for us. Billy’s a friend of mine and someone I look up to.”

LINK

Tim Walton on Billy talking to the team: “I’m very grateful for him to do that for us. That’s the beauty of coaching at the University of Florida and the culture (athletic director) Jeremy Foley has created for us. Billy’s a friend of mine and someone I look up to.”

LINK
That's great stuff. I didn't even think about the fact that Billy headed to OKC a couple of weeks before the softball team.

Mac gave up $3 mil of his own money to pay his buyout and have a chance to coach here. Coach White turned down Tennessee for an offer of more money last year.

We all talk about , the location (particularly w.r.t. recruiting areas), the size of the school, the budget, the conference in which we play, etc.

It is so much more than that. Read THIS article and you will get a better understanding of how all of the coaches are helping one another succeed.

UF is truly the gold Standard on how to build an athletic department.

You do know that UF has to pay him back the 3 million right? It's in his contract.

Mcelwain is still gonna take home more than we'll end up paying muschamp the next 3 years, plus we have to pay back the buyout amount that Mac is giving up. Essentially we'll be spending more on current and former head coaches than bama is with nick Saban.

All this for a guy that had a little success in the Mountain west. This is why Foley's the best AD in the business.

This board is completely pointless.

Nobody uses a bit of logic. Michi is Michi and his buddy GSM hates everything.

It's pretty pathetic.

Oh, and Michi, you know exactly why Michigan was able to hire Harbaugh. So dont even pretend that he would have come to Florida of Foley wasn't incompetent.

You two are the worst trolls.

Foley has been great in building the entirety of the AD and he's also mismanaged the football program, why do people act as if the two have to be mutually exclusive?

Reactions: MJWilliamson
Yea, clearly Foley is the SOLE reason the UF Football program has won titles. I seriously don't understand how some of you can be such simplistic thinkers. It's either ALL his fault (Michi/GSM) or he gets ALL the credit (see above). That viewpoint is even more laughable when you consider that the two best coaches in UF's football history were not Foley hires. Spurrier wasn't for certain and it's been widely reported that Urban Meyer was not Foley's first choice. If it wasn't for Machen Urban would not have been here. But y'all continue this idiotic argument until eternity if y'all want. Foley is either the greatest AD who has ever lived and deserves no blame for anything or he's the worst AD in the country, their apparently can't be any in between.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
I didn't say he's the worst in the country, but he can't manage a football program, he's no longer a forward thinking AD (see indoor facility issue), and UF would be better off moving on.

UF is a very attractive school to non-revenue sports athletes. They look for different things in a school (wide range of degree offerings, academic prestige, southern climate for year round training) which UF has. Coaches know UF has that, and hence, it makes Foley's job in luring great coaches pretty easy. Look at the schools that are competitive in almost all nonrevenue sports. There's a common link, and its not great ADs.

Don't agree UF would be better moving on, but I do agree with some of your points. Mainly, school location, recruiting base, etc. have A LOT to do with attracting and keeping great coaches. Foley benefits from being at UF as much as UF benefits from him being here. I doubt anybody would consider him a great AD at Washington St. for example, because they just aren't going to draw top coaches there due to all the downside (lack of local talent, prestigious school, etc.). It's a symbiotic relationship, and people can't seem to acknowledge it for some reason. It's so simplistic.

No it is. In fact just so you know my source, it's Ghost.

If you need more justification, I'll just have him forward it to me.
Ghost is usually pretty reliable about this kind of thing, but I need to see it to believe. I searched and if it is true, it has not been made public.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT