ADVERTISEMENT

UF Baseball...

I hope you are right. If you look at our conference schedule, we pretty much played the bottom of the league in conference play with series against (finishing places) 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,13, & 14. Did not play 1, 3 or 5. Went 18-11 against that schedule.

We had the propensity to lose the first game of the series (3-7) and then recover. Can't come out of the gate slow in tournament play and expect to consistently survive.

I hope you are right. If you look at our conference schedule, we pretty much played the bottom of the league in conference play with series against (finishing places) 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,13, & 14. Did not play 1, 3 or 5. Went 18-11 against that schedule.

We had the propensity to lose the first game of the series (3-7) and then recover. Can't come out of the gate slow in tournament play and expect to consistently survive.

Puk's been our best starter the second half of the year. Shore has struggled a little bit. Be interesting if we stick with the order. Faedo looks like he's got No. 3 nailed down. We don't hit enough for any series/regional to be comfortable. They sure do play tough ball though. They make two or three run saving defensive plays a game it seems like. Tobias has been carrying the lineup the last couple weeks. We need Schwarz, Alonso and Martin to hit.

college umpires are so atrocious it makes it near impossible for me to watch college baseball

Starting pitching has been a surprising problem all year. Very inconsistent. And the last couple of weeks Bobby Poyner has been terrible. He really blew it for us last night. However, our hitting has really slacked off of late and it's not a good sign heading to the NCAA's. Bader & Alonso have really been bad the last few weeks, Guthrie's average has dipped quite a bit and nobody seems to be able to hit in the clutch. Last night Schwarz looked great, but we had a chance to pad our lead a couple of times and couldn't get the big hit. But when you score 6 runs with our staff, it should be enough to win. Last year's team overachieved during the regular season and then laid an egg in the regionals. This year's team has underachieved so far, but have a chance to turn it around and make a run to Omaha. They finished 4th in the SEC and didn't play LSU, Texas A&M or Arkansas, plus dropped 2 of 3 to FSU. Unless they make a run to the SEC title game, I don;t see them getting a Top 8 national seed. Just hope they can get hot at the right time, at the plate and on the mound.

That game reminded me of the movie Major League 2...

-Mr. Vaughn, I thought you were starting tonight

-I did.

-Oh sorry, I didn't turn the game on until the second inning.

It's a funny team. The hitting comes and goes, the pitching comes and goes. If we're doing one or the other we can beat anyone, and if we're doing both we will beat anyone. The only thing the team does consistently well is play defense and compete.

Saw a tweet yesterday where both our baseball and softball teams are #1 in the nation in defense.

Last edited:
Man that is a boxscore I'd like to see more often. Middle of the order just pounded them. Probably not the best pitcher they'll see, but all those guys are capable of hitting like this. Tobias hits all the time. He's a great Gator.

Reactions: GatorGray
Great game from Shore too. He took it almost all the way. If he's going, Puk's been solid and we have a lot of options for No. 3.

We definitely should have won the first game. We play with a little chip on our shoulder, so it will be interesting to see how the team responds. Our bats are going. If we get some good pitching, we should get past them to LSU. Would we have to beat LSU twice to get to the final?

Puk was dealing last night! Good that we saved the bullpen, because Faedo's had a hard time going deep into games. Hope the bats keep it going.

Arkansas is a bad, bad defensive team. Amazing they won as much as they did in the west if that's how they played all year.

What a win for the Gators. They came back from absolutely the worst baserunning play I've ever seen in baseball. Definitely a national seed now.

our pitching and defense is very good, those bats gotta get going though..

They had a bunch of guys on base. When they finally got the big hit, they turned it into a double play. That pitcher was pretty tough too. They should have scored 4 or 5 easy.

Vanderbilt has been killing people lately, hopefully we can cool their bats and warm up ours.

They put on a show last night. Everybody was hitting and Sully just kept rolling out arms until he found one that could keep them quiet. After losing the first game, they pretty much dominated the rest of the tournament.

I love the personalities on this team. They take no crap. After their catcher was popping off after Schwarz' strikeout, Rivera stepped up and doubled on the first pitch and told the kid to "keep your mouth shut." Vasquez even got in Reed's face when Reed didn't call him off a fly ball. They are a salty bunch, playing with a lot of confidence. And they look like they've got two top starters now, heading into the regionals. The announcers yesterday were saying Puk was the best pitcher in the tournament.

Anyone that is like 6"7, 225 AND is left handed that throws 98, and a 84 mph curve.................... that's tough to top

And Puk did it again tonight. Gators are rolling right now hopefully they can keep this up for a few more weeks.

These guys have been putting on a show for the last two weeks. Everybody is driving the ball, the starting pitching has been solid and there's a spectacular defensive play every other inning. They are rolling. Schwarz is out of his freaking mind.

Gators are certainly playing their best ball of the season, but it's ludicrous that the selection committee matches them & FSU in the Super Regionals. I know the idea to is to representative team from all over the country in Omaha, but they should seed the Top 16 seeds and match them appropriately. With Florida as a #4 seed, there's no way FSU would not be a higher seed than 13. Give both of them a shot at getting to Omaha instead of forcing one of them to get knocked out.

I think 13 is about right for FSU

While that MAY be true, it is just odd that every year, another team from the state 'just happens' to end up opposite the Gators. While I am excited to see a Super Regional against fsu (at least it isn't Miami...again), it would be neat to play some teams in the Regional/Super Regional from other parts of the country for a change. Every team we play in the two rounds is from the State of Florida.

While that MAY be true, it is just odd that every year, another team from the state 'just happens' to end up opposite the Gators. While I am excited to see a Super Regional against fsu (at least it isn't Miami...again), it would be neat to play some teams in the Regional/Super Regional from other parts of the country for a change. Every team we play in the two rounds is from the State of Florida.
I agree with that point.

Also, we got a guy today, Jackson Kowar, that throws 92 mph. Originally signed with Clemson, but was allowed out of that LOI with their coaching change.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeGator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT