ADVERTISEMENT

U.K. Harrison No double standard right?

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
It appears Mr. Harrison made a racist slur about Frank Kaminsky that was picked up by a Live mic. But, the young Mr. Harrison said it was in jest and apologized and all is forgiven. So, if Frank the tank did the same would the reaction be the same? Was in the same for Riley Cooper? Good thing our society does not have a double standard on these kinds of things.

Right, well the key difference is that Harrison was directing a slur toward black people at a white person while cooper was directing it toward black people. If cooper had said he'd fight "every honkey in here" it would have been much less of a big deal.

And how was Cooper treated worse anyway? Both ended up in the headlines. Cooper is still with the team and he kept his new contract.

There are definitely two standards between the incident- but that's because the facts are different. Most importantly, calling a black person a N**** is, IMO, a far worse act than calling a white person a N*****.

Originally posted by JD Gator:
There are definitely two standards between the incident- but that's because the facts are different. Most importantly, calling a black person a N**** is, IMO, a far worse act than calling a white person a N*****.
Exactly, there is a double standard for a reason and the fact that some people don't understand that is very annoying.

As a black person I don't see why this is any more acceptable, regardless of it he was using a slur intended for blacks against a white person. Besides, people my age use it towards whites all the type, it's meant with the same disrespect. I'm more annoyed about the whole 'in jest' BS, don't insult my intelligence with that garbage. Oh well, one more reason to hate Kentucky.

He used it in a derogatory way. What are they gonna do to him? He's going pro.

Does anyone even deny that there's a double standard any more? It's part of the mainstream now.

The history of the word's use by whites and blacks is different. That's why it gets a different reaction. I think black people would be well served to stop using it. It's demeaning and derogatory and it gives some cover to white people who use it. But I can understand why the reaction is different to a black person using it. In this case, I think the media reaction was about the same. It was on the front page everywhere. It died down quickly because Kaminsky said he didn't care, while cooper's teammates weren't as quick to forgive.

Originally posted by bradleygator:
The history of the word's use by whites and blacks is different. That's why it gets a different reaction. I think black people would be well served to stop using it. It's demeaning and derogatory and it gives some cover to white people who use it. But I can understand why the reaction is different to a black person using it. In this case, I think the media reaction was about the same. It was on the front page everywhere. It died down quickly because Kaminsky said he didn't care, while cooper's teammates weren't as quick to forgive.
I mean I agree with you regarding the history, but black people use it today in a derogatory way towards whites as well as blacks. So even though it was directed at a white player, it was still a slur. And history shouldn't excuse a double standard today anyway.

It's a vile and derisive word. Those who use it embody its definition.

This post was edited on 4/6 1:02 PM by cwesleyf

Originally posted by goldmom:

I had to sit down and rest, because I agreed with Shime's point.
roll.r191677.gif

It's just WORDS. They don't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. The effed up part is the media double standard. I think that is what drives most people crazy. People have lost livelihoods over poor choices of WORDS. It might not even reflect their way of thinking about people, sometimes WORDS just come out. Hell, Howard Cosell almost bit the dust professionally over a minor misstep of the tongue. There is no doubt even though it matters little the scoring of such isn't meted out equally.

if a WHITE guy said that about Harrison....... Bomani Jones would have single handedly called the NAACP himself on twitter. That guy is the most racist person that still gets to have an opinion on ESPN.. that guy embarrasses himself on a daily basis pretending he's not racist, he talks about NOTHING but black athletes being held down by whiteness forever.. It's black History Month all year round for him and he just gets away with it. It's actually THE biggest double standard reading his bullshit, go read it or listen to him. Hes the worst kind imaginable to the human race when it comes to how racism is still alive and being built up.

Yea Bomani Jones is a clown, he's always race hustling. I've agreed with him one on thing ever, and that was the Donald Sterling drama.

When the word is used with an "a" I look at it like someone saying dude or bro, if it's used with the er that is some racist bullshit.

I didn't have a problem with the kid saying that. He was mad and upset and he's young.

Originally posted by Nolez29:

When the word is used with an "a" I look at it like someone saying dude or bro, if it's used with the er that is some racist bullshit.

I didn't have a problem with the kid saying that. He was mad and upset and he's young.
I don't see anyone overly upset with what he said. He basically cursed with an open mike. The thing that make is a hot issue is 'what if a white guy said it?'.

So if I hear a black person say the N-Word to another black person even though he is directing it to about another person of the opposite race this is not a prejudice comment? Double standard big time. Why? Well lets say I say something to somebody else "Hey did you see that girl's butt" and somebody over heard me say that then that is considered "Sexual Discrimination". Is it not?

BTW people should understand racism has to do WITHIN a person's own race. Example: If my daughter dated a black man and I opposed to it then that is being racist because its about WITHIN my own race. If I a black person the N-WORD its NOT a racist statement but a PREJUDICE statement.

A lot of people even the media has the word racist so backwards its pathetic.

The difference is in the impact of the word. When you complain about "double standards" really what you are saying is that, if black people are going to use the word, they should accept white use of the word. That's a pretty shaky argument given the history of the word's use by blacks and by whites.

When Riley Cooper said it, a lot of his black teammates were upset, because it connected him to a history of really awful treatment of black people by whites. When video came out of a bus full of white college students singing the word and talking about hanging black people from a tree, some of the black Oklahoma players responded angrily, because it looked like a Klan rally.

Alternatively, when Harrison directed it toward Kaminsky, Kaminsky didn't care, and said so. The reality is that black people using the word doesn't have any kind of impact on white people. It doesn't intimidate them. It doesn't remind them of historic, systemic racism. The only reason white people react to it at all is to justify white use of the word.

If what you're talking about is the press coverage of the two incidents, again I'd like someone to point out how Cooper was treated worse than Harrison. Nobody was defending Harrison. Headlines about his "racial slur" were all over the place until Kaminsky said he didn't care. If the Eagles players had immediately done likewise, that controversy would have died down as well. I can understand why they held a grudge, and in the end, it didn't cost Cooper anything.

Double Standards...

When is the last time there was a demilonstration for Whites killed or robbed by a black person? Or a cop doing something bad to a white which does happen.

The reason more blacks are arrested than whites goes to their home. How many black males have no father in their home? We don't hear about that do we?

Any white person that wants to rally a demonstration about crime, or about police violence, is free to do so. When a video comes out showing a police officer shooting a white guy 6 times in the back, or choking a white guy to death for selling loose cigarettes, maybe we'll see it.

The difference is in the impact of the word. When you complain about "double standards" really what you are saying is that, if black people are going to use the word, they should accept white use of the word. That's a pretty shaky argument given the history of the word's use by blacks and by whites.

When Riley Cooper said it, a lot of his black teammates were upset, because it connected him to a history of really awful treatment of black people by whites. When video came out of a bus full of white college students singing the word and talking about hanging black people from a tree, some of the black Oklahoma players responded angrily, because it looked like a Klan rally.

Alternatively, when Harrison directed it toward Kaminsky, Kaminsky didn't care, and said so. The reality is that black people using the word doesn't have any kind of impact on white people. It doesn't intimidate them. It doesn't remind them of historic, systemic racism. The only reason white people react to it at all is to justify white use of the word.

If what you're talking about is the press coverage of the two incidents, again I'd like someone to point out how Cooper was treated worse than Harrison. Nobody was defending Harrison. Headlines about his "racial slur" were all over the place until Kaminsky said he didn't care. If the Eagles players had immediately done likewise, that controversy would have died down as well. I can understand why they held a grudge, and in the end, it didn't cost Cooper anything.
Serious question...you think Black people are intimidated by that word? Because I'm approaching a quarter of a century on this earth, some in some rough environments, and I've never heard or seen anyone refer to those periods in history you've mentioned or expressed any type of feeling about the word. Just being honest, most just feel they can say it because they're black and whites can't say it because they're not black. Nothing more or less than that.

Yeah there is a double standard but I don't really care that much. People get too crazy over the words that everyone is always talking. Certainly that kind of thing shouldn't be condoned but whatever.

Maybe intimidated is the wrong word. Upset, outraged, angered. I'm not presuming to know how a black person thinks. I'm just going by the reactions of the Eagles players and Oklahoma players.

My wife is black, as are most of her friends. Their attitude toward Riley Cooper's comments and the Oklahoma frat song was not ambivalent.

I agree with damn near everything you've said with a few exceptions though Brad. I just think it's a lot more simple than people are making. In the minds of black people there is a double standard, let's just call a spade a spade. I'd just prefer the word not be used at all though. I understand why some give blacks a pass for using it, but to me there shouldn't be a pass. If you're gonna use the word to downgrade another black person OR a white person, don't get mad when another race uses it, that's just pure stupidity. If the word sturs up so many angry emotions when it's used by another race, it should stir up the same emotions when it's used period. But if you're gonna keep using it, go cry somewhere else.

Originally posted by oozie7:

Serious question...you think Black people are intimidated by that word? Because I'm approaching a quarter of a century on this earth, some in some rough environments, and I've never heard or seen anyone refer to those periods in history you've mentioned or expressed any type of feeling about the word. Just being honest, most just feel they can say it because they're black and whites can't say it because they're not black. Nothing more or less than that.
That's always been my perception. It's more about drawing a line in the sand than history.

Any white person that wants to rally a demonstration about crime, or about police violence, is free to do so. When a video comes out showing a police officer shooting a white guy 6 times in the back, or choking a white guy to death for selling loose cigarettes, maybe we'll see it.
I don't think white people would relate to the dead guy solely because he was white. White people seem to focus more on themselves and the people around them than other miscellaneous white people.

Back in 1996 a black man walked into my store with a bloody shirt on. He grabbed 20 pairs of shorts and went to walk out. At the door where I was he looked at me and showed me a wrapped item in his hand. He said he would stab my white mother F'In AsS. My security GuarD Chased him and they fought. I ran up and tackled him onto a car. He stabbed me in my shoulder. My security Guard kicked him from the ground and got a knife in the face and chest for it. The guy got away to a waiting car. I then got my 12 stitches and my security Guard a lot more. The police nd 3 news teams came but never caught him. A YEAR of HIV tests and PTSD followed. Back then you had to wait 2 weeks to get the results. Negative but stressful.

That store in the African American market was tough. DAILY we had theft. Daily I had the race card played on me. I'd go yo see about a return and the lady said first thing "you're not going to do this cause I'm black." We caught a lady once concealing clothes under her baby to steal who said the same thing. I was the men's manager and in 1996 I personally caught 46 shoplifters and it wasn't my job.

Like AP said the black family is raised from what I witnessed in 11 years differently. I remember mothers not only hitting their kids but with authority. And if you said a word about it....watch out. Most of my black male employees told of some hard stories. How they were made fun of making min. Wage when the drug dealers had wads of cash.

Sorry if this subject gets to me.

Well, that's because it is what it is man... and as much as people laughably pretend that all this stuff has gotten better on either side, it's hilarious... just like Geno the Uconn's womens coach said... This guy says a lot of real stuff and I can respect that, it' only makes sense with how his program is run.. He makes everyone work all the same and is the meaning of the word "consistent", whether it's sports or anything else.. I can respect that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT