ADVERTISEMENT

The only thing more fun than....

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
....destroying FSU in the Super regionals, which we have done four straight times, is to destroy Miami in the CWS the first time the two teams met in Omaha.

Go Gators!

Reactions: YOitsMIKE
That was a most enjoyable 4th inning. Beating UVA on Monday night is huge. Teams that start off 2-0 are almost shoe-ins to win their bracket.

In other good news, it looks like Clemson is going to hire the Charleston coach and will not be coming after Sully.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
Sully had said a couple weeks ago he was happy at UF and not interested in moving anywhere. He owns the state of Florida now and with another top class coming in he has the program primed for a nice dominant run the next few years.

It will be interesting to see if UVA can put up a fight as the last 2 ACC teams we just destroyed seem to be a tad overrated.

What do Miami and FSU have in common?

Both have given up an eleven run inning in the College World Series. Miami gave up 11 runs in the 4th inning last night. FSU game up 11 runs against Stanford in 2008.

....destroying FSU in the Super regionals, which we have done four straight times, is to destroy Miami in the CWS the first time the two teams met in Omaha.

Go Gators!
It's all been good! Hope the bats stay hot!

No way Sully was going let someone else coach these freshmen for the next two years. He'd have to be insane.

Reactions: 46885
As hot as UF is right now it would be a total let down not to win the CWS.

Congrats on the win...

GO Canes!

Last edited:
mcanes- A post like that would go a lot better if it started out with something along the lines of... "Congrats, Gators."

That was a most enjoyable 4th inning. Beating UVA on Monday night is huge. Teams that start off 2-0 are almost shoe-ins to win their bracket.

In other good news, it looks like Clemson is going to hire the Charleston coach and will not be coming after Sully.

I was worried at first over the Clemson job. I didn't realize Sully went to High School in FLA and got his masters from FAU.

Despite coaching at Clemson for a few years, why would a Floridian leave such a hot bed for talent.

If we beat UVA tonight, we'll be looking pretty good. That's for sure. UVA scares me a little bit. On paper, we should roll them, but they have a little magic going. On the other side, I'd love to get LSU out of Omaha, although TCU and Vandy have both been impressive. No team is that big of a favorite against the field. Baseball is too crazy. All it takes is one bad start or an error or two, and you're fighting for your life.

We are a (-245) favrite tonight on the Moneyline, for those that don't know, that's a gigantic favorite in baseball.

UVA is playing our game better than us. They're grinding out at bats and getting guys on base, and we're throwing the ball all over the park.

I would pinch hit vasquez, regardless of the lefty pitching. We need some baserunners man!

Well at least we know we still aren't going to win it again. No reason to get hopes up

Their pitchers pretty much dominated us, but we got some bad luck. Bader absolutely smoked that ball that hit the pitcher in the mitt. That ball would have killed him if it was six inches left. That's going to be a tough team to beat twice if they have their pitchers lined up.

Their pitchers pretty much dominated us, but we got some bad luck. Bader absolutely smoked that ball that hit the pitcher in the mitt. That ball would have killed him if it was six inches left. That's going to be a tough team to beat twice if they have their pitchers lined up.
If we can get past Miami, on Friday they will have to start they guy they started against Arkansas. He is not their ace. The guy we faced tonight is their ace. He had over 100 pitches Monday night. Is 4.5 days rest enough to face him a second time, if we get past Friday?

Maybe, maybe not.

That 1st and 3rd situation with nobody out gave me deja vu to the Final Series against South Carolina in Omaha where we had the bases loaded and no outs in either the 9th or extra innings. Same result

The USC game was exactly what I flashed back to when Bader knocked that guy's glove off. Both USC and UVA kept their composure better than the Gators as the game got late. Their pitcher almost gets decapitated by a line drive, but he kept it together, chased the guy back to third and got the out at second. Meantime Puk throws wide to first base, which allowed the winning run to score.

They made all the simple plays all night, while I thought we got a little panicked. Reed had no chance to throw that guy out at home and airmailed the throw by 20 feet. They did a much better job working counts and getting guys on base.

We should have a good shot at Miami. I thought their bullpen looked pretty shaky in the first game. But we're going to have to throw Faedo at a pretty good lineup. I think Sully hooked Lewis early, so he'd be available against Miami. Lewis was pissed!

I hope OSullivan adds "bunt with no outs and a runner on first when the opposing pitcher is dealing" to that book he keeps from World Series appearances. Saw Buddy Reed's double play coming a mile away.

Gotta play small ball in that park and in that situation

Agree with most of what you said Bradley except for the reason Sully pulled Lewis. Lewis got the bad ball/strike call on the 0-2 count and he let it get to him. He was visibly flustered and didn't throw another strike after that. Sully had to pull him there.

In general, I agree that you need to think small in that park. How many extra base hits did we have in that big inning against Miami? I don't think any. I'm okay with Reed swinging there though, because he's not going to get doubled up too often and you don't have too many outs left in the game to be giving them away. Unfortunately, he hit the ball hard and right at them, which is how it seemed to go all night. Schwarz lined out twice, and Bader hit the ball hard three times.

I think we did get impatient with the ballpark though. I think Schwarz was the only guy on either team who could have made it out of the park last night. Bader absolutely drilled the ball his first at bat and barely made it to the warning track. Puk threw a batting practice fastball to some dude who killed it and didn't even make the warning track.

I hope Miami pitches a righty, because our best lineup has Vasquez in it. Him in right, Rivera catching and JJ DHing is our best team.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of Lewis' frustration was with that call. Lewis said something along the lines of "you gotta be kidding me" when Sully came out. I thought he was referring to getting hooked, but he may have been talking about the guy's strikezone.

Sully also had the lefty up at bat, so I can understand pulling him. And it worked out even though Poyner drilled the guy first pitch. I thought it was a little quick to pull Lewis though. I thought he stayed with Puk at least one batter, and maybe two, too long. But I can understand letting your best pitcher work through it, and in the end you can't complain about 1 run.

Reactions: GatorGray
Sully had said a couple weeks ago he was happy at UF and not interested in moving anywhere. He owns the state of Florida now and with another top class coming in he has the program primed for a nice dominant run the next few years.

It will be interesting to see if UVA can put up a fight as the last 2 ACC teams we just destroyed seem to be a tad overrated.

Hopefully being the underdog tonight will provide the Canes a little moxie to play a great game. If UM is lucky we'll be able to keep it close.

GO Canes!

I thought Miami looked better than UF early in the first game. UM got a real rough balk call and a couple errors and the roof caved in on them. We haven't played defense in the first two games like we have all year. We need to get back to it. Defense has been what we do best all year. That and work counts and get guys on base. If we keep pressure on their bullpen and defense, I feel pretty good about tonight.

Last two teams to hit two HR in one inning at the CWS?
Fl vs Miami (obviously)]
Az vs fsu.

The two HRs in the first inning are the longest two at the new stadium. (414' & 412')

UF over fsu in the post season: 24-9
UF over Miami in the post season: 25-5

Last edited:
Hopefully, we roll with this lineup the rest of the way. Great game by Faedo. Backing up those home runs by striking out the side in the first was huge!

Yeah, keep the momentum rolling. We definitely don't want to get caught up in a tight, low-scoring game with UVA.

We have our pitching set up and need 2 wins v. UVA to get to the final. That's not a bad spot.

Teams cannot score on us, we just need to get some semblance of runs against UVA. Last night only pissed me off more about Monday

I read where the ball flies out of that park better in the evening than it does at night. Remember, the UVa game was delayed due to rain/other games earlier in the day and didn't start until about 8:45 local. Last night's game started at 7:10ish local. Couple that with the fact that the UVa pitcher probably pitched the best game of his life. Sometimes you just tip your hat to the other guy and be ready the next game. Overall, I like our chances but UVa IS playing very well right now so....

I was very surprised at Miami's defense, particularly in the 5th inning. Both the 3rd baseman and the 2nd baseman didn't know where they should be. They looked like a little league team out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT