ADVERTISEMENT

The official "When I attended UF" thread..

CommieGator

Gator Great
Jan 6, 2006
We need to get the 'Lounge going again. It's a nostalgia thread:

When I attended UF:

Lon Kruger took us to the final four.I attended tons of punk rock shows at the Hardback Cafe.You could still smoke cigarettes in your dorm room (smoking room selected).The Krishna's had a shoe box with a slit cut in the box-top for donations instead of a meal card. All the frat jock guys used to go to "TJ Morriseys" The "Student Ghetto" was actual, real sh!tty housing before the Collier gentrification.Burrito Bros was standing room only next to Chinee Takee Outee.We beat the Noles 14-9 in the best football game I've ever seen.I mostly used a typewriter, and if I needed to use a computer, my papers would be printed dot-matrix with those strips of holes you needed to detach on the sides.I took exams by hand-writing in "blue-books."King Kobra Malt Liquor cost $0.79/quart.Ate pizza at "Lord Muchies".Dave Denslow taught a distance learning class... via VHS tape- That guy wore funny hats.

What was it like when YOU attended?

This post was edited on 2/3 8:53 AM by CommieGator

John Reaves was BMOC
Steven O'Connell was president
the last real Albert was on campus
My first dorm had no AC
I saw Mudcrutch several times
A guy got in trouble in chemistry for having a hand held calculator (about the size of a small book)
Drinking age was 21 :-(
The football & basketball teams were almost completely white.

Give 'em Hell Pell
Beat USCw
Talking Heads played in Gainesville.
Rickenbachers was one of the best downtown bars

Originally posted by GatorTheo:

John Reaves was BMOC

My first dorm had no AC

A guy got in trouble in chemistry for having a hand held calculator (about the size of a small book)

I didn't realize we were of the same er, generation.

As to another's post, don't kids STILL use blue books for their tests/exams?
wink.r191677.gif

I found some old papers a few years ago and showed them to my grown children. They were fascinated by the blue book I had tucked in the back of a textbook I kept. Lots of hoots and laughing.

Originally posted by goldmom:
don't kids STILL use blue books for their tests/exams?
wink.r191677.gif

I found some old papers a few years ago and showed them to my grown children. They were fascinated by the blue book I had tucked in the back of a textbook I kept. Lots of hoots and laughing.
The demise of the "blue book" exam was the demise of substantial education in our institutions of higher learning in my estimation. No spell check, no clever pop-up paperclip animation suggesting more appropriate grammar based on the sentence.

Just you, a number two pencil, panic and wits versus all of academia sixty minutes at a time. Chaff and wheat, chaff and wheat.

You're an absolute doll, Goldie, even if you're a 'Nole.
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/3 5:51 PM by CommieGator

Originally posted by CommieGator:

don't kids STILL use blue books for their tests/exams?
wink.r191677.gif

The demise of the "blue book" exam was the demise of substantial education in our institutions of higher learning in my estimation. No spell check, no clever pop-up paperclip animation suggesting more appropriate grammar based on the sentence.

Just you, a number two pencil, panic and wits versus all of academia sixty minutes at a time. Chaff and wheat, chaff and wheat.

You're an absolute doll, Goldie, even if you're a 'Nole.
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/3 5:51 PM by CommieGator
Thanks, Commie.
blush.r191677.gif
I'm flattered!
I clearly recall one of my History Professors being hung up on stressing that we submit COGENT, factual, and concise answers to the test questions. Concise" Rigghhht. Average test meant using at least four of those blue books, but I suppose that was about right for a 400 level course.

He overheard me walking out with some others after class once mocking him and saying "Well, THAT was a cogent lecture if I ever heard one"...he was absolutely sure I was an airheaded smart aleck after that. That and the fact that I had blondish hair and was a sorority chick.

Originally posted by MJWilliamson:
Give 'em Hell Pell
Beat USCw
confused0018.r191677.gif
My list would be exactly the same.

Emmit's last year was my first, the next season SOS returned.
Purple Porpoise peaked while I was there.
B-52s played for free
Had over a million points on NTN trivia, mostly at BW3
Resurrected UF Pistol and Rifle Club

Originally posted by GatorGray:

Give 'em Hell Pell
Beat USCw
confused0018.r191677.gif
To be fair, my time there was grad school only

Originally posted by GatorGray:

Give 'em Hell Pell
Beat USCw
confused0018.r191677.gif
To be fair, my time there was grad school only
Yes, the RR team seems to be infatuated with that detail.
laugh.r191677.gif

Commie, I must have started one year after your according to your list. Given the size of the Hardback I'd be willing to bet we've stood next to each in the bathroom line before.

I experienced the highs and lows concerning UF sports. It started with three early exits in the NCAA tourney, followed by back to back national championships. In football, I borne the Zook years and then watched the rapid rise through Urban Meyer and our first title in a decade. I was back in NY for the second in '08. Bill Cosby was the keynote at '02 Gator GrowlEveryone still used "Gator City" and the "Porpoise" synonymously.UF really seemed to be at its peak concerning national popularity. It seemed like everywhere you went, people had Gator Gear on.You still had to call for football tickets and hoped to get lucky. Everything sold out within no time. Then, based upon your year, you had a better or worse chance. Now, we can't give tickets away.

Originally posted by GatorTheo:

John Reaves was BMOC

My first dorm had no AC

I didn't realize we were of the same er, generation.

As to another's post, don't kids STILL use blue books for their tests/exams?
wink.r191677.gif

I used Blue Books as an undergrad and it was pretty common in all my classes. Didn't use them in graduate school and I have no idea if their use is still required.

There was still wet rush.
You could nickel beers at The park on Mondays.
You could get Hep C from the "mystery water" at CJ's.
You could get a cheap hummer at the Bambi Motel.
You could leave a FB, go to the Porpoise for Kamikazee Halftime and re-enter the stadium.
Dubs had a legendary mini skirt contest.
Token Tuesdays at Danny's.
Pitchers of "Death" at Chelsea's.
Students had no problem getting beer at The Orange and Brew in the Student Union.
We were Playboy's #1 party school.

To be honest for all my ragging on FSU academics we were no better when I was at UF and it was fine by me. If I wanted to learn I'd have gone to UNC or Michigan. Instead I chose 4 years of getting laid, drunk and stoned where B's could be obtained in an easy major with little effort.

Interesting thread, considering I got my undergrad and masters at Auburn (because my Florida alumni dad CO 76 insisted that the OOS tuition wasn't worth it).

Though I'm going to apply to get my doctorate in Gainesville. (Was accepted for undergrad but again....free in-state tuition...sigh)

Originally posted by Dannygator1989:
Interesting thread, considering I got my undergrad and masters at Auburn (because my Florida alumni dad CO 76 insisted that the OOS tuition wasn't worth it).

Though I'm going to apply to get my doctorate in Gainesville. (Was accepted for undergrad but again....free in-state tuition...sigh)
Are you gonna teach or go in to admin with the ED degrees?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT