ADVERTISEMENT

The Mount Rushmore of Florida Football: Who you got?

Dannygator1989

Bull Gator
Feb 28, 2005
The passing of one of our greatest Gators ever reminded me of a thread we had many years ago on this same topic. Since then, we've had three different head coaches, another national title, and some um....not so great years, so maybe now is the time to reflect on the past a little (and cheer up since so many seem to be in the doldrums). Try to explain your picks if you can.

Here's mine:

-Ray Graves: brought us a decade of success that we had never seen before. Brought us Spurrier and our first Heisman. Became the first of only two coaches to beat Bear Bryant in Tuscaloosa (promoting Bear to accurately speculate that we were a sleeping giant just waiting for the right coach). Granted, his level of success today would be considered unacceptable by our standards today, but he actually helped create the groundwork for the standards.

-Steve Spurrier: not much exposition is needed here. The man is the greatest Gator to ever live and the day he retires from coaching and can come back home will be a great day for all of us.

-Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow: they both represented greatness and did so the right way. Between the two of them, we have 3 national titles, 6 SEC titles, many awards including Two Heismans as well as ending their careers as record holders in several categories. Not to mention of the 5 one loss seasons in the modern history of our school, they are responsible for each one.

My alternates would be Charlie Pell and Urban Meyer, both fall of my list due to the way they left, but both brought us out of the depths of bad coaches (Dickey and Zook) and both continued the work of the greats (Graves and Spurrier).

My honorae mention is Galen Hall because I've always felt he got a raw deal (I understand why) but he was a good man, a good coach, and did the best he could with the devestating sanctions around him. I don't know a Gator who doesn't feel at least somewhat similar to that. (That said....his firing DID get us Spurrier....soooo....)

SOS- needs no explanation
Wilbur- the greatest defensive player to ever strap on the Orange and Blue; guy could control the game from his position
Emmitt- probably the greatest player to play for the orange and blue
Tebow- 2 MNC, Heisman, Role model, etc..

Next in line- Danny W., Ray Graves, Jack Youngblood

My vote is in, let me know when construction begins.

Will Muschamp
Doug Dickey
Ron Zook
Brock Berlin

HM goes to Gary Darnell, Josh Portis, Jon Hoke, Jeff Driskell, Bob Pruett, and Steve Addizio.

This post was edited on 4/11 12:28 PM by TennesseeGator

From my perspective:
Muschamp, Driskel, Zooker, Dickey

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by TennesseeGator:
Will Muschamp
Doug Dickey
Ron Zook
Brock Berlin

HM goes to Gary Darnell, Josh Portis, Jon Hoke, Jeff Driskell, Bob Pruett, and Steve Addizio.

This post was edited on 4/11 12:28 PM by TennesseeGator
In all seriousness I have to say
Spurrier
Wurfferl
Tebow
E. Smith

HM- Kerwin Bell, Jack Youngblood, Carols Alvrez, Larry Smith, Ray Graves, Wilbur Marshall, Neal Anderson, Urban Meyer, Galen Hall, and Shane Matthews.

Originally posted by Leesgator:
Funny that the UF greatest player and the FSU greatest player did not win a lot of awards .. rings or national championships

clearly our is Deion. .. yes he won the Thorpe

Originally posted by GvilleNole:

Funny that the UF greatest player and the FSU greatest player did not win a lot of awards .. rings or national championships

Unfortunately E played on some probation strapped teams. Not much depth around him.

Originally posted by GvilleNole:

Think of the foundations Emmitt and Deion help build though.

Both schools were building something special thru the 80's. Many prep players coming up watching Emmitt and Deion saw that one could have individual success at these two schools and wanted to be part of it. Conference and National Championship caliber players filled out the rosters following these two players.

Originally posted by Fla-man:
Ray Graves has to be first on that list. SOS, E. Smith, Danny W. and Tim T.
Interesting, you want to put 5 people on Mt. Rushmore. Since Gutzon and Lincoln Borglum are both dead, I wonder if they have any descendants alive that are up to the task of sculpting on the side of a mountain.

Spurrier
Danny W.
Tebow

Can't do Emmitt Smith

Emmitt spoke for more than 20 minutes when he got inducted to the NFL hall of fame and never once mentioned UF...his coaches or team mates. Nonetheless he individually thanked each and every offensive lineman by name who blocked for him in the pros. If the Cowboys decide to have a Mt. Rushmore, Emmitt can have his grill carved there instead.

SOS- needs no explanation
Wilbur- the greatest defensive player to ever strap on the Orange and Blue; guy could control the game from his position
Tebow- 2 MNC, Heisman, Role model, etc..

Next in line- Danny W., Ray Graves, Jack Youngblood

My vote is in, let me know when construction begins.
Danny a thousand times over Tebow and even on Sundays. Brought us our FIRST national championship, and against FSU when they were at their height no less. Won The SEC championship all four years he was here and was and always has been 10 times the role model that Tebow can ever be.

I think the issue at hand is if you wanted to choose the 4 best representatives of Florida football, do you put more emphasis on coaches or on players, and if it comes down to players, do you reward them more for what they did here at the school, or later on in the NFL for instance. Emmitt for as great as he was here, left school a year early, never won an SEC or national title with us, but became the NFL's alltime yards leader at RB. He was great at UF, but his biggest accomplishments came in the NFL and that's what he's known for. Tebow on the other hand pretty much has fizzled by this point in the NFL and all of his greatest accomplishments were in his college days so for that, I'd put Tebow in before #22. Another issue is how do you differentiate players for their contributions based on how the game has changed over the years. Danny played in an 11 game regular season schedule, the guys before him 10 games and even less. These days even the bowl game stats count towards your career or season numbers so they eclipse very easily what guys had to work for so hard back in the glory days of the sport.

My choice without any question whatsoever at all is Steve Spurrier for our first Heisman award winner and first national title coach, then Danny W for winning the Heisman, 4 SEC championships, and leading us to our first ever national title. After that it's all arguments based on what merits more based on judging criteria IMHO. These two men should be on every list without fail however.

Originally posted by Dannygator1989:

-Ray Graves:
-Steve Spurrier:
-Danny Wuerffel
-Tim Tebow:

This probably the only time I will ever agree with Danny.

I also agree that Charlie Pell played a huge role in the history of Florida football. He may have given the boosters a little too much freedom, but at least he got them to get off their wallets, which made all things possible for Spurrier and Meyer.

I like the following on Florida's Mount Rushmore of Football:
(Note: Why limit to 4 choices? I tried to include all eras from the beginning, the middle, & the recent)

Dale Van Sickle (UF's 1st All-American)

Ray Graves (Coached future NFL HOFer Jack Youngblood & UF's 1st Heisman winner - SOS; 5 bowl games including the 1967 Orange Bowl; his late 60s teams made famous the 'Gatorade' drink for enhanced athletic performance)

Steve Spurrier (UF's 1st Heisman Winner & Coached 7 SEC titles won on the field)

Charlie Pell (Retooled & updated Florida's football facilities and organization to become a modern day power house)

Danny Wuerfel (4-time SEC champion & the SEC's most prolific passer)

Tim Tebow (Florida's & the SEC's greatest football player)

& Urban Meyer (Brought two national titles to UF)

While everyone knows about the last six, here is something about Dale Van Sickle:

Was an American http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Van_Sickel#cite_note-fhsaa12042007-3

Sickle played right Knoxville—by a single point, 12–13. As was typical of the 1920s era, Van Sickel played both offense and
defense; his College Hall of Fame biography describes him as "a swift
and sure-handed receiver on offense and a gifted defensive player.

This post was edited on 4/15 7:29 PM by RD_Gator

This post was edited on 4/15 7:33 PM by RD_Gator

This post was edited on 4/15 7:36 PM by RD_Gator

This post was edited on 4/15 7:45 PM by RD_Gator

This post was edited on 4/15 7:46 PM by RD_Gator

This post was edited on 4/15 7:56 PM by RD_Gator

This post was edited on 4/15 7:58 PM by RD_Gator

This post was edited on 4/15 7:59 PM by RD_Gator

Originally posted by Dannygator1989:
Not true.

You've agreed with me from time-to-time, it was Jax who hated me.
Yeah...that Jaxbo character was a cantankerous coot wasn't he?
tongue.r191677.gif

Originally posted by grommit:

was and always has been 10 times the role model that Tebow can ever be.
You're out of your freaking mind. They're both excellent role models.

This post was edited on 4/16 9:17 AM by passoverGator

Originally posted by GatorGray:

While everyone knows about the last six, here is something about Dale Van Sickle:

and stunt performer [/B]for over forty years.

This, in and of itself, should get him a spot on the mountain.
He was a stunt driver in the movie "Love Bug" in 1968. Carve him in the mountain.

Originally posted by 93nole99:
Spurrier
Danny W.
Tebow

Can't do Emmitt Smith

Emmitt spoke for more than 20 minutes when he got inducted to the NFL hall of fame and never once mentioned UF...his coaches or team mates. Nonetheless he individually thanked each and every offensive lineman by name who blocked for him in the pros. If the Cowboys decide to have a Mt. Rushmore, Emmitt can have his grill carved there instead.
You mean to tell me when Emmitt got inducted into the pro football hall of fame he talked about his pro team mates? Shocking I tell you. He has been a good ambassador for UF. He still attends UF games from time to time. My understanding is he has given some decent sums of money. I still remember him on the sideline leading the chomp in 2006.

The odd thing about Emmitt was that , unlike many players who get inducted into the NFL HOF, he didn't bring up his time in college.

Many guys will even talk about their damned pee wee and high school coaches.

In reality, he did more in the NFL than most.. he did more than most at the pro level compared to college is more what im saying.. It's usually the other way around

Spurrier
Danny W.
Tebow

Can't do Emmitt Smith

You mean to tell me when Emmitt got inducted into the pro football hall of fame he talked about his pro team mates? Shocking I tell you. He has been a good ambassador for UF. He still attends UF games from time to time. My understanding is he has given some decent sums of money. I still remember him on the sideline leading the chomp in 2006.
Of course he spoke about his pro team mates...I was addressing what he left out. Good to hear he goes to games from time to time..

and stunt performer [/B]for over forty years.

This, in and of itself, should get him a spot on the mountain.
He was a stunt driver in the movie "Love Bug" in 1968. Carve him in the mountain.
Give him two spots.
Hell yes

1. Spurrier
2. Spurrier
3. Tebow
4. Wuerffel

Tebow and Wuerffel are pretty much interchangeable I feel like, all depends on what era you came up in.

Originally posted by oozie7:
1. Spurrier
2. Spurrier
3. Tebow
4. Wuerffel

Tebow and Wuerffel are pretty much interchangeable I feel like, all depends on what era you came up in.
While I agree with 1/2 (see my post above yours), I disagree on Tebow Wuerffel. There similarities end with their faith, and even that is at opposite ends of the spectrum (of how they carried themselves regarding it).

Originally posted by alaskanseminole:
Originally posted by oozie7:
1. Spurrier
2. Spurrier
3. Tebow
4. Wuerffel

While I agree with 1/2 (see my post above yours), I disagree on Tebow Wuerffel. There similarities end with their faith, and even that is at opposite ends of the spectrum (of how they carried themselves regarding it).
No doubt, I just meant in terms of their accomplishments. Both won a title. Tebow won a Heisman and Wuerffel didn't. But Wuerfeel won 4 SEC championships to Tebow's 1 (as starter)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT