ADVERTISEMENT

So Mike White is the new Basketball Coach

Gator M-Basketball ‏@GatorZoneMBK 7m7 minutes ago
We are excited to announce Michael White is our new head coach!

CEcLT-LWMAAPJrR.jpg

Reactions: cnewz
He pretty well dominated his conference in the regular season. Seems like he should know the southeast as far as recruiting. I'm pretty happy with the hire. Go Gators!

I really like this hire. He was on my top 2 of coaches I wanted with Archie Miller. He's a very good coach. He's young and a good recruiter that knows the southeast very well.

Job No. 1: keep Kevaughn Allen. Probably wishful thinking, but he didn't sound all that excited about Arkansas.

Reactions: RD_Gator
We'll see how it translates here but the dude's record is legit and he apparently plays an uptempo style, which I like. Just like with any new coach I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until its obvious he can't cut it. I like this hire way more than some of the other names that were being thrown out.

Well ... at least he knows the right things to say"

"I have an incredible amount of respect for the University of Florida, and I am so excited to be a Gator," White told Gatorzone.com, the school's athletic website. "Not only is Florida home for me, but the tradition and success that the Gators have built make this an incredible opportunity. I know about the great home-court advantage in the O'Connell Center, which is a testament to the fans and the Rowdy Reptiles. There's an unbelievable commitment to excellence athletically and academically at UF, and it starts with the leadership of Dr. Fuchs and Jeremy Foley. I look forward to returning to the SEC where I have a lot of great memories, and I can't wait to create many more alongside The Gator Nation."

People seem to really like the hire. Apparently, Foley didn't even contact Miller or the guy from Xavier.

Ugh. That is the same kind of thing he said when he hired Muschamp
Not saying it's not a good hire but hope he considered all good coaches that were potentially available

Its Foley. He doesn't go for the best ciach available. He goes for the 'im a guru AD' hire.

That's why Jim McElwains our football coach and Rich Rod wasn't contacted. Also why Muschamp got an extra year to 'fix it'

Its Foley. He doesn't go for the best ciach available. He goes for the 'im a guru AD' hire.

That's why Jim McElwains our football coach and Rich Rod wasn't contacted. Also why Muschamp got an extra year to 'fix it'

Unlike some I do believe he made an offer through 3rd parties to Freeze but Freeze decided he would just stay at Ole Miss with the raise he got.

Foley himself never contacts anyone unless he knows they will accept.

And...Foley's selling a hoops job at a football school. And I don't mean that badly for UF. EVERYONE wants to be a football school...some just can't be...like Duke, Kentucky, Georgetown, North Carolina, etc.

UF is a great "opportunity" hoops job for an up and comer. Big conference and a school with a healthy athletic budget.

College hoops in our state are just not gonna be the top fan priority. That's why big names with established NCAA tournament success aren't likely coach candidates in our state. A local sports-talk radio host made the point. He explained while UF had announced a new hoops hire, two hours in to the radio show...there wasn't a call, a tweet or text about it. While the host was talking about the hire, the callers, texters and tweeters discussed the Bucs/Winston; the Rays; the Lightning in the playoffs; Brady/deflate-gate; etc.

I think Foley has to take up and comers...and he may have picked another good one. Just have to wait.

Yeah. There's probably some semantics at work there. Foley probably has a pretty good idea who's open to the job before he officially "contacts" them. Miller looks to me like a safer bet, but White might be a better fit as far as style of play and knowing Florida and the SEC. Miller would probably have a shot at the Indiana job if it comes open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT