ADVERTISEMENT

SEC and the new playoff system?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Where do people think the SEC stands with the playoff situation now? I think last season due to the success of SEC Champions in previous years that there was a definite possibility a 2 loss SEC Champion could beat out a 1 loss champion from another conference to get in the playoff (whether it would have happened in reality is another story with last year's circumstances). I think after the last 2 seasons all that is pretty much likely to happen is that a 1 loss SEC Champion will get in the playoff as long as there isn't more than 2 major undefeated teams or some other unlikely scenario like that.

Didn't see a 2-loss champion from any conference getting in over a 1-loss champion from another conference even before the last two years. The whole purpose of the Power 5 schools pushing for a playoff is so that each conference would be represented in the playoffs and they could all make big bucks. Obviously one has to be left out every year, but they were never gonna allow two from the same conference to be in it.

I still think it's interesting how they did the rankings.

They were looking for any excuse possible not to put FSU in there, even though they were the only undefeated team AND the reigning champs.

Originally posted by oozie7:
Didn't see a 2-loss champion from any conference getting in over a 1-loss champion from another conference even before the last two years. The whole purpose of the Power 5 schools pushing for a playoff is so that each conference would be represented in the playoffs and they could all make big bucks. Obviously one has to be left out every year, but they were never gonna allow two from the same conference to be in it.
I think there would have been pressure against it but the SEC definitely had a chance to get 2 in last season if you had Ole Miss stay at 1 close loss and Bama win the SEC with its only loss to Ole Miss. I doubt that would be the case this coming season however even if something like that happened. I am personally against non conference winners getting in over conference winners that have the same number of losses however.

report: Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer was reportedly found hiding in a closet with what seems to have been a pair of his wifes panties on.

Hope he's alright

Soon it will be 8. I think it should be 12, but it might one day be 16. I don't like 16, but it would certainly give every team a chance to qualify.

It shouldn't grow to 8 teams if they want to keep interest up. Too easy to make it. 4 was a good number.

Originally posted by LizardGrad89:
Soon it will be 8. I think it should be 12, but it might one day be 16. I don't like 16, but it would certainly give every team a chance to qualify.
Not sure on that the BCS stayed 2 teams until the contract ran out and I think this 4 team one runs through 2021 or something like that.

93nole99 posted on 3/30/2015...

It shouldn't grow to 8 teams if they want to keep interest up. Too easy to make it. 4 was a good number.

I think there will still be a lot of interest in finding out those last few teams who make it in, and there will be interest in the seeding of the teams.

It's all good.

8 is really pushing it. If they change at all, I would rather see 6 teams and a bye for the top two seeds, but even that I'm not a fan of.

I'm fine with 4, I thought the games had a lot of hype this year, I see no logical reason to go to 8 teams, 6? maybe, with the top 2 getting byes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT