ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Bobby on Jameis

Do you have a link or some kind of insider info that Lovie had to "talk the Glazers into drafting Jameis"?

JFC...you really think ownership doesn't have to sign off on a #1 overall pick? GTFO...your games are tiresome.

I'm confused. Who do the noles find least embarassing to FSU, Bowden or Jameis?

They need approval from us the most on jamie currently in their lil bro pursuit of approval. When dissecting nole actions the easiest means to uncover motive is ask the simple question WWLBD ..."what would little brother do."

JFC...you really think ownership doesn't have to sign off on a #1 overall pick? GTFO...your games are tiresome.

Of course he has to sign off on it, but it was implied that he was "talked" into it. Who's to say Glazer wasn't 100% pro Winston from the word go?

I think Nole fans are so conditioned to defending Winston that they refuse to acknowledge something that's a no brainer. When a star player has MULTIPLE, high profile, off-the-field issues, of course it's an embarrassment to the school.

I don't see the connection between thinking what Bowden said was inappropriate and defending Winston. What Bowden said was stupid. Even if that's how he feels, you don't go on a national radio show and say it. Especially when the school is paying you 250k a year to be an "ambassador". I'm sure Jimbo Fisher thinks FSU is going to blow out Texas State on 9/5. It would still be wrong of him to go on CFB Live and say, "We're not worried about the opener. They suck. We'll win this one by 40. We're already working on game plans for Boston College and Miami." There are certain things that you just don't say.

I agree wtih Bobby. Dude was an embarrassment. I'm not an NFL fan but will have some level of interest in the Bucs and how he fits in there.

I don't see the connection between thinking what Bowden said was inappropriate and defending Winston. What Bowden said was stupid. Even if that's how he feels, you don't go on a national radio show and say it. Especially when the school is paying you 250k a year to be an "ambassador". I'm sure Jimbo Fisher thinks FSU is going to blow out Texas State on 9/5. It would still be wrong of him to go on CFB Live and say, "We're not worried about the opener. They suck. We'll win this one by 40. We're already working on game plans for Boston College and Miami." There are certain things that you just don't say.

So you think that Bowden is paid to be a salesman so he should have either lied or avoided answering the question honestly? I can understand that point of view. It does indirectly protect Winston but your point can stand on its own. You're paying a guy to make you look good and he didn't do that.

So you think that Bowden is paid to be a salesman so he should have either lied or avoided answering the question honestly? I can understand that point of view. It does indirectly protect Winston but your point can stand on its own. You're paying a guy to make you look good and he didn't do that.

I don't view being professional as being a liar. "Well, Winston has had some problems in the past. I've never met the young man, but he says he's grown up and matured. I hope he does great things in Tampa. It would be great to see a Florida team get back to the top." Done. A perfect answer that Bowden could have said that doesn't create headlines and is in no way protecting Winston from his past.

I just don't understand that point of view at all. Bowden is paid by FSU, his job isn't to protect Winston at all costs. I highly doubt his feelings aren't shared behind closed doors either. Wasn't Jimbo pissed with the administration about how they were handling Winston? So obviously there was some sort of power struggle behind closed doors. There were people 'in the know' who were saying well before last season ended that Winston didn't even have a choice in whether he'd be back or not. Bowden answered the question honestly. I don't know what the point in being PC about it is. If you think about it, his comments put FSU in a better light as it separates them from Winston's actions by echoing that they didn't approve of what he was doing/did, which was probably the whole point of Bowden's comments.

You guys appreciate honesty in this instance because it puts a FSU player in a negative light. If Jimbo Fisher came out and said, "The SEC is so overhyped it's embarrassing. What's their record against me? Good luck competing with us now that we're rolling, suckers!" you guys wouldn't be applauding his "honesty". You like Bowden's candidness in this instance because he said what you wanted to hear. Bowden's comments were unbecoming of a public figure. Just like Fisher acting like a drunk fan in a bar would be inappropriate.

It also happens to be the truth.

It's Bowden's opinion on the truth. Serious question: if Jimbo Fisher came out and said, "I think our rivalries with UM and UF are kind of a joke. I mean, they're 1-9 against us. UM and UF have been down for a while and are frankly embarrassing football in the state of Florida" would the reaction from Miami and Florida fans be closer to:

A. He has a point. His honesty is so refreshing. I hate when coaches are PC.

or

B. What a jerk. How unprofessional is that?

You don't go on a national radio show and say that a member of your organization is an embarrassment. Even if you feel that way. You also don't insult other teams in the press even if deep down you feel that way. Bowden and Fisher are employees and there is a certain level of professionalism that they should portray. They're grown men; not freshmen in college.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
I just don't understand that point of view at all. Bowden is paid by FSU, his job isn't to protect Winston at all costs. I highly doubt his feelings aren't shared behind closed doors either. Wasn't Jimbo pissed with the administration about how they were handling Winston? So obviously there was some sort of power struggle behind closed doors. There were people 'in the know' who were saying well before last season ended that Winston didn't even have a choice in whether he'd be back or not. Bowden answered the question honestly. I don't know what the point in being PC about it is. If you think about it, his comments put FSU in a better light as it separates them from Winston's actions by echoing that they didn't approve of what he was doing/did, which was probably the whole point of Bowden's comments.

Very well said...no one should be surprised at all by what he said...I can see being a little surprised by him saying it so freely, but obviously he had his reasons.

You guys appreciate honesty in this instance because it puts a FSU player in a negative light. If Jimbo Fisher came out and said, "The SEC is so overhyped it's embarrassing. What's their record against me? Good luck competing with us now that we're rolling, suckers!" you guys wouldn't be applauding his "honesty". You like Bowden's candidness in this instance because he said what you wanted to hear. Bowden's comments were unbecoming of a public figure. Just like Fisher acting like a drunk fan in a bar would be inappropriate.

So what you are saying is Bobby was offering up smack talk against fsu....brilliant post.

I'm saying that Bowden's comments were inappropriate for someone in his position. Fairly easy concept to grasp really.

The problem FSU fans are having is this:

What Bowden expressed is what all FSU fans should have expressed from November 2013 forward once they learned the school was covering up a criminal sexual assault complaint that Winston refused to cooperate with. Instead, they decided to concoct their own little fantasy world where Winston has done nothing different than 90% of college kids while the media and "jealous rivals" have blown it way out of proportion. Now that the most renowned nole of them all, and one that made excuse after excuse for the misdeeds of the players during his tenure, has made an honest and factual statement, they know they look even worse for their continued defense of the indefensible, i.e., Winston. That's all that is going on here. They know how bad they look for defending Winston when even Mr. "boys will be boys" can't.

I'm saying that Bowden's comments were inappropriate for someone in his position. Fairly easy concept to grasp really.

What is inappropriate about it? He's a professional member of the school. He feels said player has embarrassed the school. Thus his comments actually are in the best interests of FSU. How can you not see this?

And the analogies you are making are terrible. But to answer your question, no I wouldn't have a problem with Jimbo saying any of that. I mean you realize we had Spurrier as a coach? Probably the biggest shit talker of all time? People still laugh at his stuff, even his jabs against us now that he's at USCe.

many of my FSU friends were ready for Winston to move on.
THey felt he was a time bomb that would eventually go off.
They said they were tired of his stick.

That is a fair point. You may hold that opinion regarding his behavior. That is your right. But that does not lessen the impact of his public opinion about Winston behavior.

What is inappropriate about it? He's a professional member of the school. He feels said player has embarrassed the school. Thus his comments actually are in the best interests of FSU. How can you not see this?

And the analogies you are making are terrible. But to answer your question, no I wouldn't have a problem with Jimbo saying any of that. I mean you realize we had Spurrier as a coach? Probably the biggest shit talker of all time? People still laugh at his stuff, even his jabs against us now that he's at USCe.

It's professionally inappropriate to go on a national show and criticize another member of your organization. If Jeremy Foley said, "Will Muschamp was an embarrassment" that would be inappropriate. It doesn't matter that many UF fans might agree with him. It doesn't matter that he wasn't successful. It doesn't matter that most UF fans don't like Muschamp. Foley isn't in a position to speak like that. If Bowden wants to do radio shows and freely give his opinion he should mail a check for $250,000.00 to FSU and quit.

I don't think they're terrible at all. Others are arguing that because what Bowden said has some truth to it that it's acceptable. I'm just pointing out the flip side of that coin. And while I'll take you at your word that those comments wouldn't bother you, I can assure you that you would be in the minority. Bob Stoops has made comments that are not even remotely as inflammatory and they go over like a fart in church. As for Spurrier, I'll largely leave that alone, but I think you might be guilty of what you guys are accusing FSU fans of regarding Winston - living in your own little bubble. Most CFB fans that I know do not think highly of him.

LOL. You guys are sooooo sensitive about Winston you can't even take the man who built your program at face value. Did you listen to the interview? Because Bowden also said he had players that he coaches that he felt embarrassed FSU as well. So it's not as if he was singling out Winston and picking on him or trying to make an example out of him. There is really no reason at all y'all should be mad about his comments.

And it cracks me up that you people can't see the difference between calling someone an embarrassment, and saying their actions brought embarrassment to the school. I mean really. How can any of you realistically argue that some of the things Winston did didn't bring embarrassment to the school? It'd be one thing if Bowden called Jameis the person an embarrassment, but that's not what he did.

LOL. You guys are sooooo sensitive about Winston you can't even take the man who built your program at face value. Did you listen to the interview? Because Bowden also said he had players that he coaches that he felt embarrassed FSU as well. So it's not as if he was singling out Winston and picking on him or trying to make an example out of him. There is really no reason at all y'all should be mad about his comments.

Pretty much why I thought it was a non-story. He was asked a loaded question and answered honestly.

I think plenty of FSU fans were ready for him to move on, just like plenty of Texas A&M fans were ready for Manziel to move on. It became a circus with the media camped out on campus looking for any story or in Darren Rovell's case, making them up.

Once again, I don't see the connection between thinking Bowden's comments crossed the line and were unprofessional with defending Winston or being sensitive to criticism of Winston. Given my posts in this thread, you would also have to conclude that I don't think Jimbo Fisher should smack talk Miami and Florida in the press because I'm defending UM and UF or sensitive to criticism of those 2 schools.

Pretty much why I thought it was a non-story. He was asked a loaded question and answered honestly.

I think plenty of FSU fans were ready for him to move on, just like plenty of Texas A&M fans were ready for Manziel to move on. It became a circus with the media camped out on campus looking for any story or in Darren Rovell's case, making them up.

Agree. And I think that's the point Bowden was trying to make. Like I said if he had called Jameis the person embarrassing, I would think he had crossed the line. But if you're honestly looking at the situation there's no way you can say some of Jameis' actions weren't embarrassing to the school. And yes some of it was overplayed by the media, no argument on that from me.

He did actually say that Winston, the person, was an embarrassment.

"Well, I think it's a consensus among Florida State fans, and boosters that he was an embarrassment in a lot of ways to the university..."

I'm sure we can all think of players who were embarrassments to our teams. Admitting it doesn't make us any less good fans.

A little bit of honesty actually makes you a better fan IMO...esp on rival boards. Anyones else see the Patriots fans in defense of Brady and blaming the NFL, the media, etc? So familiar!

Having watched the interview, I don't think he meant it in that way. Finebaum's questions before that were mentioning all the issues Winston had been involved in. The last incident he mentioned was the crab leg stuff before he asked Bowden the question. In context, I think it was pretty clear he was talking about the little things Winston did like the crab leg incident being embarrassing. Don't think he meant Winston the person was embarrassing at all. It's really a non-story.

For clarity, here is the transcript of both the question and the answer:

Finebaum: Jameis Winston, many people thought he was an embarrassment to your great university of Florida State. He won the Heisman, won a national championship, he was the No. 1 player chosen (in the NFL draft), but the controversy never seemed to leave him, including on the day he was selected, he was sitting there in Bessemer, Ala. on one of the greatest nights of his life and he flashes the crab legs. What are your thoughts on Jameis Winston?

Bowden: I think it’s a consensus among Florida State fans and boosters that he was an embarrassment in a lot of ways to the university. He won a lot of ball games, probably one of the best football players that ever attended Florida State, but he hurt himself off the field. The good news is that he’s young enough to get over that, ya know it? And he’s gotta do that. But he just can’t make those junior high school decisions that he made while he was in college.

Well, what is Winston's legacy at FSU? If you asked 100 random football fans around the nation to list one thing about Winston, what would they say? How many embarrassing things do you get to do before you are embarrassing?

Well, what is Winston's legacy at FSU? If you asked 100 random football fans around the nation to list one thing about Winston, what would they say? How many embarrassing things do you get to do before you are embarrassing?

Heisman winner, All-American, falsely accused of rape.

Reactions: danoleman
It's Bowden's opinion on the truth. Serious question: if Jimbo Fisher came out and said, "I think our rivalries with UM and UF are kind of a joke. I mean, they're 1-9 against us. UM and UF have been down for a while and are frankly embarrassing football in the state of Florida"

I would say that was a very Spurrier-esq kind of comment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT