ADVERTISEMENT

Republican John Kennedy: southern plain-talk or Foghorn Leghorn shtick?

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-john-kennedy-southern-plain-090006762.html
Republican John Kennedy: southern plain-talk or Foghorn Leghorn shtick?
Drew Hawkins in New Orleans
May 23, 2023·6 min read

7pqvtb.jpg

Senator John Neely Kennedy, a Louisiana Republican, offended Mexicans across the world in a hearing on the FBI and DEA’s budget this month, calling for American military members and law enforcement agents to invade their country in order to “stop the cartels” while adding that Mexico would be “eating cat food and living in tent behind an Outback [Steakhouse]” if not for “the people of America”.

Mexico’s top diplomat condemned the comments as “profoundly ignorant”, and the country’s ambassador to the US called for a formal apology for the “vulgar and racist” language. Mexico’s president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, urging the more than 37 million Americans of Mexican and other Latin American descent to “not to vote for people with this very arrogant, very offensive and very foolish mentality” in the future.

The entire episode illustrated how Kennedy has emerged as a loud conservative voice in recent years in the US and in a state which has repeatedly relied on laborers of Mexican origin to rebuild homes as well as businesses following hurricanes and other natural disasters.

But as the fallout from his remarks about Mexico unfolded, critics also seized on the opportunity to point out that the Republican senator was once a moderate – and some would even say liberal – Democrat before switching parties in 2007, just as the far-right Tea Party movement was taking hold in Louisiana politics.

And those critics say the politician who holds degrees from Vanderbilt University, the University of Virginia and Oxford University in the UK is “playing the role of a clever hick” by doing things like making fun of Mexico in order to exploit the “bigotry and fear of his base”.

Kennedy has made a name for himself by delivering “folksy”, sometimes racist statements in an exaggerated southern American accent that has been likened to being somewhere between that of Mr Haney, the con artist from the former CBS sitcom Green Acres, and Foghorn Leghorn, the cartoon rooster who appears in Looney Tunes. The latter comparison is so striking that New Orleans’s Times-Picayune newspaper once posted a quiz featuring a series of eccentric statements that was headlined: “Who said it: Sen John Kennedy or Foghorn Leghorn?”

https://www.nola.com/opinions/article_d11f40ca-40da-5ffd-82f8-555ceca15685.html
Who said it: Sen. John Kennedy or Foghorn Leghorn?
Tim Morris, Columnist Apr 18, 2019

5d14d21b7fc33.image.jpg

John Neely Kennedy is the junior U.S. senator from Louisiana who was a key member of Gov. Buddy Roemer’s staff before being elected to five terms as the state treasurer.

Foghorn J. Leghorn is an animated chicken who appeared as a featured character in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Kennedy graduated magna cum laude in political science, philosophy, and economics from Vanderbilt, where he was president of his senior class and elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his law degree from the University of Virginia and his Bachelor of Civil Law degree from Oxford University in England where he was a First Class Honors graduate

Leghorn starred in 29 cartoons from 1946 to 1964 in what is considered the Golden Age of American Animation, usually tormenting a dog named Dawg while fending off attacks from a feisty young chicken hawk named Henery Hawk.

There is practically no way to get the two confused ... unless you are just reading what they have said. Then, it gets a little tricky.

Think you can tell the difference between Sen. John Neely Kennedy and Foghorn J. Leghorn? Take this quiz, intended as a tribute to the rhetorical skills of both Kennedy and Leghorn.

https://www.nola.com/opinions/article_d11f40ca-40da-5ffd-82f8-555ceca15685.html
Who said it: Sen. John Kennedy or Foghorn Leghorn?
Tim Morris, Columnist Apr 18, 2019

5d14d21b7fc33.image.jpg

John Neely Kennedy is the junior U.S. senator from Louisiana who was a key member of Gov. Buddy Roemer’s staff before being elected to five terms as the state treasurer.

Foghorn J. Leghorn is an animated chicken who appeared as a featured character in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Kennedy graduated magna cum laude in political science, philosophy, and economics from Vanderbilt, where he was president of his senior class and elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his law degree from the University of Virginia and his Bachelor of Civil Law degree from Oxford University in England where he was a First Class Honors graduate

Leghorn starred in 29 cartoons from 1946 to 1964 in what is considered the Golden Age of American Animation, usually tormenting a dog named Dawg while fending off attacks from a feisty young chicken hawk named Henery Hawk.

There is practically no way to get the two confused ... unless you are just reading what they have said. Then, it gets a little tricky.

Think you can tell the difference between Sen. John Neely Kennedy and Foghorn J. Leghorn? Take this quiz, intended as a tribute to the rhetorical skills of both Kennedy and Leghorn.

Holy crap...it wasn't yahoo news.

No idea...I only read your hyperlinks.

I'm betting that means I paid more attention than anyone else will.

You follow me around like a little disciple....

Is this you being "done with me"?
Spending all of your time trying to get my attention engaging with me?

Its amusing in a strange weirdo stalker obession sort of way 🤣

Responding to 10% of the 87 threads you start each day equals stalker? Gotcha.

Take your meds Ray.

He used to follow me around as well until I started ignoring him. The guy needs to find a life.

Im glad he’s latched onto you though. Nothing but lame insults from that guy.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
He used to follow me around as well until I started ignoring him. The guy needs to find a life.

Im glad he’s latched onto you though. Nothing but lame insults from that guy.

You flatter yourself.

You put me on ignore because you got tired of me putting you in your place.

We had our differences but at least you're not a genuine crazy person like some on this board are now. The entire place is starting to lose its appeal tbh.

The self exit door is always open & available...take advantage of the opportunity

What's a self exit door? Does it differ from other doors that lead to the exit? 🤣

And I just might. The idiocy and lunacy that seems to consume you and your total commitment to take giant long cat propaganda dumps on this board are less appealing than you might think.

Or perhaps they are exactly as unappealing as you think...and that's the point? Either way I don't much care.

What's a self exit door? Does it differ from other doors that lead to the exit? 🤣

Its the exit you can take with no assistance from anyone else

This place has lost itsd appeal to you?

Great.
Leave,,,, nothing is holding you here

And I just might. The idiocy and lunacy that seems to consume you and your total commitment to take giant long cat propaganda dumps on this board are less appealing than you might think.

Go. No one is keeping you here

Or perhaps they are exactly as unappealing as you think...and that's the point? Either way I don't much care.

🤣

Mötley Crüe - Don’t Go Away Mad (Just Go Away) (Official Music Video)​

Are you often assisted to the exit door Ray? 😂

It's hilarious how dumb people tell on themselves.

I'm not the one on here whining & crying about leaving...

Wanna leave? Go. No one will miss you.

If not STFU and post something relevant...

That is if you aren't too scared to actually debate your opinion instead of crying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT