ADVERTISEMENT

Reporter Blasts Jim McElwain as Used Car Salesman

Mark Long needs to hang out with Danny and have a few adult beverages. Don't accuse our new coach of being a used car salesman unless he fails to deliver after a sufficient grace period. The last guy we had here was a used car salesman. McElwain's response regarding who took the first snap was tongue and cheek. I guess he should have delivered the line with a wink.
giphy.gif

Kind of funny he is acting this way now because I think he was the guy Muschamp tried to intimidate a few times when he asked him tough questions.

Not sure of Long's issue:

1. He does much resemble a used car salesman

2. Anyone who didn't know Grier would be his QB the day he was hired is clueless

3. Is there anyone who doesn't know that this 'QB competition' is an attempt to keep Treon another year?

Originally posted by Michi-Gator:

2. Anyone who didn't know Grier would be his QB the day he was hired is clueless

3. Is there anyone who doesn't know that this 'QB competition' is an attempt to keep Treon another year?
I guess I am clueless then. I think Harris has slightly better then a 50/50 chance to win the job.

This is when people that have never played sports should stop talking.. This guy wants our NEW STAFF on the FIRST DAY of practice in SHORTS to know who the starting QB is... This guy is a clown acting like a baby

I think his words are harsh, but his general point is kinda true. One of the things that annoy me about coaches now (all of them) is this constant need for misinformation, they're so paranoid. They treat the people who are fans of the team like they're retards who can't be trusted with any bit of information. From a pure football standpoint, everyone knows Grier fits the offense Mac wants to run better. Coaches script practices down to the T, anyone who believes Mac didn't know who took the first snap on offense is silly, why not just own it? It's not a big deal either way, it's the first day of practice.

apparently, Treon took the first snap on the second day of practice.

Here's Mark Long live, with his reaction to this unusual situation:

DWrI2JY.gif

Originally posted by 46885:
This is when people that have never played sports should stop talking.. This guy wants our NEW STAFF on the FIRST DAY of practice in SHORTS to know who the starting QB is... This guy is a clown acting like a baby
Not only that, but he wants the coach to tell him who it is even if he did know.

Saying anything about naming a starter would only hurt the team and potentially encourage one of them to transfer and both of them to work less hard during the offseason.

Long is a goon.

Originally posted by cwesleyf:
Mark Long needs to hang out with Danny and have a few adult beverages. Don't accuse our new coach of being a used car salesman unless he fails to deliver after a sufficient grace period. The last guy we had here was a used car salesman. McElwain's response regarding who took the first snap was tongue and cheek. I guess he should have delivered the line with a wink.
Exactly. Anyone who heard Coach McElwain make that remark knew that he was being a smartass (in a good way).

Long doesn't like CJM because he doesn't answer questions directly... Well guess what Mark Long, 95% of all public figures don't do that today, especially in sports. Welcome to the 21st century society where you can't get a straight word from anyone for fear of the blood sucking lawyers. It's the world we're stuck living in and you just happen to be in a career that suffers especially from it's consequences.

Originally posted by Michi-Gator:

1. He does much resemble a used car salesman

I hope Coach Mc isn't on board with 2&3.

To have chosen a QB without him ever running your offense, having never seen him in a practice, and that has never played a single down of college football, well, that would be the sign of a poor coach.

Now, if you just meant the uninformed masses (like you and I and most especially Mark Long) likely believe that, then fine.

Originally posted by domgator:
Who is Mark Long and why do we care?
If I was a Gator, this is what I'd be thinking too. Who cares? What a whiny baby this Long guy is.

The reporters have a job to do and get pretty frustrated with the endless coach speak. But a guy who just got here and really doesn't know that much about the personnel isn't gonna give you the answers you want because he just doesn't know yet. Plus, a lot of these media types just have no idea how annoying they are. Who wouldn't want to brush off some of those dweebs with throw-away answers. If I were a coach I'm pretty sure I couldn't get through an interview with Mike Bianchi without kicking him in the nads.

What does being coy about who your starting QB is (when you don't even know yourself, and before either one has taken a snap) have to do with used car sales. The accusation Does not even make sense.

"Used car salesman" behavior would be something like convincing a QB to sign with, or transfer to, your school based on promises that he would start the first year. Oh wait, Saban . . . Coker. Muschamp/Cheeseburger . . . Brissett.

He sure seems to have an intimate knowledge of used car salesmen.

One day maybe he'll be a good enough reporter that he can afford new cars. Doubt it, though.

Originally posted by SnowshoeGator:

The reporters have a job to do and get pretty frustrated with the endless coach speak. But a guy who just got here and really doesn't know that much about the personnel isn't gonna give you the answers you want because he just doesn't know yet. Plus, a lot of these media types just have no idea how annoying they are. Who wouldn't want to brush off some of those dweebs with throw-away answers. If I were a coach I'm pretty sure I couldn't get through an interview with Mike Bianchi without kicking him in the nads.
Win and he can say whatever he wants...that matters most...win!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT