ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for Floridians?

Michi-Gator

Bull Gator
Dec 8, 2010
Ludington, MI
1. Do you guys hate the summers? One reason I sm considering moving my family is our summers up here are not even hot anymore.

2. Do you guys spend a lot of time in those cool screened in pool areeas you all seem to have on the back of your houses?

Thanks,

Michi

1. Yes. I only go outdoors when moving from a building to a vehicle, or from a vehicle into a building.
2. No. It's too hot.

Last edited:
I don't understand how people actually lived in Florida prior to modern technology.

I went all the way thru high school with no AC in the school. My first dorm had no AC. We played basketball outside in the middle of the summer for hours. I never remember thinking the heat was unbearable (like I would now).

I didn't have AC at school for 3 years. I remember my teacher having big sweat stains under his armpits.

Back then, you guys had fans though, right? Also, some of those older buildings are well-insulated.

It's really the humidity that makes things miserable. I don't mind a dry heat so much.

Some folks absolutely love the heat and humidity, though. I may be spoiled from having lived in Florida for almost my entire life and never having to deal with snow and extreme cold.

The hotter it is, the more active I am and the more time I tend to spend outside. I love it.

I've live in Florida for 11 years and I'm still not completely used to humidity. I grew up in an area that was a hell of a lot hotter (Dallas/Fort Worth) but no where near as humid. I could run around outside and play sports in 110 degree heat and wouldn't bat an eye. It was much drier than it is here.

Look at it this way, the best time of year sports wise is August - February. Those are also the best months in Florida.

You can adjust to the heat. Biggest thing is to stay hydrated. Still, the weather can be pretty tough in the summers, but the golf is so cheap so I suck it up.

As you might imagine, I grew up back in the day when VERY few of us had central A/C. Big box fans, going barefoot on tile floors, and a big pitcher of ice tea in the frig is what made it bearable, and our friends and neighbors lived in similar houses. When I was in high school my parents bought a big window A/C with 20,000 BTU's and we just left our bedroom doors open so the air would cool down overnight, allowing us to finally get good sleep.

My freshman year I lived in an old dorm just like the old dorms at UF - none were air conditioned then, with big old steam radiators for heat in the winter that came on with a really loud clang. We were strongly advised to bring fans. Lots of them. By the time I graduated, most dorms had been retrofitted with A/C, not an easy task for the old dorms the state built early in the 1900's.
Church had no A/C
House had no A/C
School had no A/C
Cars rarely had A/C

I admit I couldn't live here now without it, but we've all gotten "soft" as they say. When we lived up north we never ran the A/C in the summer and people thought we were crazy. Heck, in Michigan and Wisconsin (lived in both states for a time) it was 85 degrees max during the day and 60 at night. Are you kidding me? That's a great spring day in Florida. We just put in ceiling fans in all the rooms and were good to go.

My father grew-up in Miami prior to most folks having A/Cs. He recalls fans being located in nearly every room, including classrooms. Apparently, building were insulated a bit better in those days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT