ADVERTISEMENT

Old Timers Question

GatorTheo

Bull Gator
Apr 1, 2002
Wasn't Gatorbait on something besides Rivals? I see I joined Rivals in 2002 but I thought GB was around prior to that. Anyone remember?

When Rivals.com first started the home Gator pages were Gator Country.com and The Swamp.com

Rivals.com had a small shake up and rebuilt a little differently. Gator Country and The Swamp went independent for a while. Gator Country was part of a variety of networks before being what it is today. Last I checked The Swamp is now an appeal website.

Gator Bait was the magazine that was real popular throughout the 80's, and 90's. They had a small website for a brief moment. With Gator Country and The Swamp being gone, rivals signed with Gator Bait as its Florida host page. Later ITG was the Florida host for Rivals.

I'm sure Im wrong on some accounts but that is how I remember best.

Originally posted by sadgator:

when sadgator initially joined in 2002, he used gatorbait.net, he thinks.
JD also thinks that he joined gatorbait.

I only remember Gatorbait. I don't remember Gator Country as a Rivals affiliated site. They had/have the Swamp Gas forum which I always thought was separate from Rivals.

Originally posted by 93nole99:
I only remember Gatorbait. I don't remember Gator Country as a Rivals affiliated site. They had/have the Swamp Gas forum which I always thought was separate from Rivals.
This.

Originally posted by LizardGrad89:

Originally posted by 93nole99:
This.
Nope, Gator Country and the Swamp Gas forum was part of Rivals.com. In 1999 when I joined. I think it changed and they went separate ways in 2000 or 2001 or so.

When Rivals.com first started the home Gator pages were Gator Country.com and The Swamp.com

Rivals.com had a small shake up and rebuilt a little differently. Gator Country and The Swamp went independent for a while. Gator Country was part of a variety of networks before being what it is today. Last I checked The Swamp is now an appeal website.

Gator Bait was the magazine that was real popular throughout the 80's, and 90's. They had a small website for a brief moment. With Gator Country and The Swamp being gone, rivals signed with Gator Bait as its Florida host page. Later ITG was the Florida host for Rivals.

I'm sure Im wrong on some accounts but that is how I remember best.

I first subscribed to Gatorbait Newspaper back in the 90's (might have even been the late 80's) when David Stirt launched it. Marty Cohen was his partner I believe and later bought out Stirt's interest. Marty and his then wife Laura started up the Gatorbait website in 19(help me out here sad) Several years later Marty became affiliated with Rivals and they essentially took it over. I think Marty and Rivals had different ideas and visions about the site and how it would operate who was calling the shots (my take on it anyway) Anyway, Marty left and later started up the 247 Sports site.

I first subscribed to Gatorbait Newspaper back in the 90's (might have even been the late 80's) when David Stirt launched it. Marty Cohen was his partner I believe and later bought out Stirt's interest. Marty and his then wife Laura started up the Gatorbait website in 19(help me out here sad) Several years later Marty became affiliated with Rivals and they essentially took it over. I think Marty and Rivals had different ideas and visions about the site and how it would operate who was calling the shots (my take on it anyway) Anyway, Marty left and later started up the 247 Sports site.
I remember Gatorbait (subscription I believe) and Gatortalk as a free paper when I was a UF student in the late 1980s, I remember David Stirt as publisher (my memory may be questionable). I forget when it says I joined, but I remember being on threads discussing whether we wanted to play Tennessee or postpone the game in 2001 (including on the Miss State board, I forget why). I remember Laura recruited me to moderate, remember it was mostly gatorshime and Gordon gecko moderating at that time. Gatorshime disappeared for years, though I now see some recent posts from him (same guy?). Later Bo, Theo, & Swami. Didn't realize that was Marty behind 247. Who's running/owning this site now, where's Laura?

Where the hell is ubergator74, Bubba, dc1, Homocane, N2L, etc. Been away too long, getting older, memory fading - name of the guy who used to have the gorilla/monkey smoking in his sig pic.

I remember Gatorbait (subscription I believe) and Gatortalk as a free paper when I was a UF student in the late 1980s, I remember David Stirt as publisher (my memory may be questionable). I forget when it says I joined, but I remember being on threads discussing whether we wanted to play Tennessee or postpone the game in 2001 (including on the Miss State board, I forget why). I remember Laura recruited me to moderate, remember it was mostly gatorshime and Gordon gecko moderating at that time. Gatorshime disappeared for years, though I now see some recent posts from him (same guy?). Later Bo, Theo, & Swami. Didn't realize that was Marty behind 247. Who's running/owning this site now, where's Laura?

Where the hell is ubergator74, Bubba, dc1, Homocane, N2L, etc. Been away too long, getting older, memory fading - name of the guy who used to have the gorilla/monkey smoking in his sig pic.
Memory re-engaged. Big Ol Nasty Gator was the one with the smoking monkey pic.

Memory re-engaged. Big Ol Nasty Gator was the one with the smoking monkey pic.
Wow JB. Memory Lane. Where did N2L go? She hasn't posted in a long time.Wasn't she in radio in Jax? And Smithupthepipe was a regular back then. (Gecko always called him Smath) And JaxBo/Homer. I think some of those guys must have been in school about the same time....several of them seemed to know each other personally. That was a lively crew. Some awesome humor and smack talk. Gecko was a badazz mod...you didn't eff with him. :D

I think I have it right about Marty and 247. Or maybe he just has the Gatorbait newspaper now. I'll guarantee you my memory is worse than yours. :confused:

Wow JB. Memory Lane. Where did N2L go? She hasn't posted in a long time.Wasn't she in radio in Jax? And Smithupthepipe was a regular back then. (Gecko always called him Smath) And JaxBo/Homer. I think some of those guys must have been in school about the same time....several of them seemed to know each other personally. That was a lively crew. Some awesome humor and smack talk. Gecko was a badazz mod...you didn't eff with him. :D

I think I have it right about Marty and 247. Or maybe he just has the Gatorbait newspaper now. I'll guarantee you my memory is worse than yours. :confused:

Unfortunately, I'm a little older than those guys, Snowshoe. When I was at UF, we enjoyed the end of the Dickey era, followed by Pell's 0-10-1 season ... and we never saw a winning basketball team.

My subscription to the printed GatorBait "magazine" (it was printed on newspaper-type stock) started in about 1984, I think.

I remember when regulars at WC were talking about the "new" GatorBait message board on Rivals, and they were expressing their shock about Gecko being a moderator (with Dot's endorsement). Gecko was a WC regular who drove the Noles nuts back then. Unfortunately, I don't remember what year that was.

Based on the "joined" dates under yours and JB's names, I was assuming GB started on Rivals in the 3rd quarter of 2001 -- but now I see that Tennessee goes back a few months before that. Regardless ... it had to be some time in 2001.

I still have a bunch of old emails.

I started as mod Feb 2004. Gecko and Shime were already there.

The Lounge came about in May 2004.

Gecko left Oct 2005....replaced by JB on the free boards.

I left Apr 2006....replaced by Swami.

Anybody been here long enough to remember when some UGA douches hijacked the board? Had it in red and black font and Glory playing when you entered the boards? Very very early Gator Bait days.

I used to be on here too

wow, they changed how you post now...wtf man?

ADVERTISEMENT