ADVERTISEMENT

Off Season - Food for Thought Comparisons

instaGATOR

Bull Gator
May 29, 2001
2007 WR/RB Percy Harvin --- So 5-11 178 1L -- Now with the Viking's
2015 WR/RB Brandon Powell So 5-9 181 1L -- Now at SEC Media Days
(more solid physically and no migrains, almost as fast)

2007 WR Louis Murphy --------- 6-2 202 Jr 2L -- Now with the Buc's
2015 WR Demarcus Robinson 6-1 204 Jr 2L -- Leading receiver

2007 WR Riley Cooper --- 6-3 216 So 1L -- Now with the Eagles
2015 WR Ahmad Fulwood 6-4 208 Jr 2L
2015 WR Kalif Jackson --- 6-4 212 Fr

2007 TE Tate Casey - 6-6 237 Sr 3L
2015 TE Jake McGee 6-6 249 rs-rsSr 3L xfer

2007 TE Cornelius Ingram 6-4 230 rsJr 1L
2015 TE DeAndre Goolsby 6-4 243 So 1L

2007 RB Kestahn Moore 5-10 207 Jr 2L
2015 RB Kelvin Taylor --- 5-10 205 Jr 2L

2007 RB Brandon James 5-6 181 So 1L
2015 RB Adam Lane ----- 5-7 226 rsSo 1L (Bowl MVP)

2007 RB Chris Rainey --- 5-9 156 Fr
2015 RB Jordan Scarlett 5-10 198 Fr

2007 RB Ean McQuay --- 5-8 168 Fr
2015 RB Jordan Cronkite 5-11 205 Fr
------------

2007 C Maurkice Pouncey 6-4 313 Fr
2015 #3 C Tyler Jordan --- 6-4 292 Fr
2015 C T.J. McCoy -------- 6-1 302 Fr

2007 RG Mike Pouncey -- 6-4 313 Fr
2015 #1 LT Martez Ivey --- 6-5 302 Fr
2015 OG Brandon Sandifer 6-3 357 Fr

2007 RT Carl Johnson --- 6-5 342 rsFr SQ
2015 #2 LT David Sharpe 6-6 350 So 1L

2007 OL Maurice Hurt --- 6-2 323 rsFr SQ
2015 OG Travaris Dorsey 6-2 318 rsFr SQ

2007 OL Jim Barrie --- 6-5 300 rsFr SQ
2015 OT Andrew Mike 6-6 302 rsFr SQ

2007 OL Marcus Gilbert - 6-5 296 rsFr SQ
2015 OT Kavaris Harkless 6-5 300 rsFr SQ

2007 OL Eddie Haupt ---- 6-4 296 rsSo SQ
2015 OG Cameron Dillard 6-4 308 rsSo 1L

2007 OL Simon Codrington 6-6 318 rsSo 1L
2015 OG Antonio Riles ----- 6-4 322 rsSo 1L

2007 OL Drew Miller -- 6-5 304 Sr 3L
2015 OT Mason Halter 6-6 295 rsSr 3L (D2 AA)

2007 OL Carlton Medder - 6-5 319 rsSr 2L
2015 OG/C Trip Thurman 6-5 313 rsSr 2L
---------
Depth & Development + scout teamers
2015 OG Matthew Bowden 6-1 300 rsJr SQ
2015 OG Zach Shinn ------- 6-2 280 rsFr SQ
2015 OG Matthew Fuchs -- 6-2 246 rsJr SQ

2015 OG Nick Villano 6-2 312 Fr
2015 OG Donovan Welch 6-2 312 Fr
2015 OT Fred Johnson 6-6 305 Fr
2015 OT Richerd Desir-Jones 6-4 290 Fr
2015 OG Nick Buchanan 6-2 285 Fr
2015 OG Marcus Givens 6-0 263 Fr

Last edited:
Certainly, if the current guys had to borrow the 2007 guys' suits, we'd be in pretty good shape.

Certainly, if the current guys had to borrow the 2007 guys' suits, we'd be in pretty good shape.

Actually, in most cases, the current guys would find the fit a bit tight, but in the case of the Fr RB's, it's not even close.

But the 'talent' levels are fairly balanced as a whole, we'll have to see how the 'on the field' results compared this coming January. My point is that we might not be in as bad a shape as an 'overall team' on the offense as some seem to believe.

I agree with you about the overall talent on the team. No Tebow and no Harvin, obviously, but we have as much talent on defense as we have probably ever had. 2007 went 9-4. I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled off a similar record and competed in the East.

(more solid physically and no migraines, almost as fast)

In the new offense and game day play calling, Powell at least has an opportunity to become a Harvin type of impact player, and he looks to be more dependable game to game. And yeah, I know that's a lot to ask or to put on Brandon.

Yep, Tebow's are pretty rare. However, IF Grier can live up to his 'potential' he might turn out to be as 'big of a deal' in his own way, as Tim was in his day.

The biggest key to 2015 imoho is 'TEAM-work.'
No more STARS and scrubs bs.
The more guys that can get on the field and contribute on game days, the better!
And that is also what builds consistent year to year success.
GoooooooooooooGATORS!

How do you make the statement that the talent levels are fairly equal just based on height and weight alone? That legit makes no sense. We aren't remotely close to as talented as that team.

Oozie, meet Insta...Insta, meet Oozie.
laughabove.gif

How do you make the statement that the talent levels are fairly equal just based on height and weight alone? That legit makes no sense. We aren't remotely close to as talented as that team.

What, it isn't clear to you that Adam Lane and Brandon James are the same player?

I agree with you about the overall talent on the team. No Tebow and no Harvin, obviously, but we have as much talent on defense as we have probably ever had. 2007 went 9-4. I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled off a similar record and competed in the East.

Defense? I don't think having the corners we do and Bullard even comes close to some past defenses. Even Morrison at LB with all those assisted tackles wasn't hardly blowing up many plays in SEC competition like LBs from past years we have had. LB, safety and DL depth could all be issues this season probably.

All 5'11 180 pound guys are Percy Harvin. Damn I'm glad other coaches haven't figured this out yet, should give us an advantage.

Very true...I would be a true stretch to say that a have a National Contending and Dominating team after this coming season. That '07 team had NFL starting talent all over it...it would be one hell of a statement to say that at this point. I would love to see it...also you would have to say that Coach Mac is going to be one of the best coaches in college history...which is what Meyer is. I have high hopes for our new coach but we're going to have to see a coach that can bring in the top players in the country and pay attention to detail so well that his entire organization can do what a Meyer/Sabin type coach can do...not saying that Mac can't, he just hasn't in a league like the SEC as a HBC yet. I would love to see it though...Go Gators!

Defense? I don't think having the corners we do and Bullard even comes close to some past defenses. Even Morrison at LB with all those assisted tackles wasn't hardly blowing up many plays in SEC competition like LBs from past years we have had. LB, safety and DL depth could all be issues this season probably.
I think that the defense will be strong...every year the good players get much better...Floyd in his junior year was a beast compared to the year before...same thing with Fowler. I" not saying that Bullard is going to be that great but we can expect a jump in production...our defense is going to be solid IMO. We'll just see how fast our offensive line can pick thing up and be productive. We will have to get some decent production out of our offense and the first few games will be critical in getting things going. Winning an UK will be big...the UT game will be pivotal for us this season.

Might seem odd to say, but I think the season hinges on UK and UT. Win those games and we get off to a 4-0 start and can likely grab 8-9 wins this year. That would be a blessing at this point in time. I'm hyped for the season regardless though. Few more weeks!

Reactions: GatorNation79

2015 Roster by positions at gatorzone.com, star info from assorted recruit rankings.

LB - 1 - 5 star, 5 - 4 stars, and 3 - 3 stars = 9 LB's or 3 deep.
Media All SEC 3rd Team MLB Antonio Morrison.
(66 pts while still recovering from ACL kept his votes low imo)

Morrison was
voted 2nd Team All-SEC by the coaches.
On Tuesday, Morrison was named to the Lombardi Award watch list
and to the Butkus Award watch list.
Morrison got more 3rd team defensive votes - 66,
than the 3rd team Tn QB Dobbs' got in offensive votes - 62.
Wthout Morrison, UF starters are #1 MLB *****, #4 OLB ****, #5 OLB ****.

Safety - 6 - 4 stars, and 1 - 3 star, = 5 + 2 s-cb = 7 Safeties or 3+ deep.

DL is divided into 3 positions: DE - Rush (DE/OLB combo) and DT.

DE - 2 - 5 stars, 3 deep, or 4 deep with the Rush positions included.
RUSH - 2 - 4 star DE/OLB's or 2 deep.
DT - 1 - 5 star, 4 - 4 stars, and 2 - 3 stars = 87 DT's or 4 deep

The Gator D finished at #15 in the Nation last year.
I believe that they can/will finish ranked higher for 2015. :cool:

Team re-assements are being made on an almost weekly basis..... :)

Last edited:
Might seem odd to say, but I think the season hinges on UK and UT. Win those games and we get off to a 4-0 start and can likely grab 8-9 wins this year. That would be a blessing at this point in time. I'm hyped for the season regardless though. Few more weeks!
Agree with the young lad.

2015 Roster by positions at gatorzone.com, star info from assorted recruit rankings.

LB - 1 - 5 star, 5 - 4 stars, and 3 - 3 stars = 9 LB's or 3 deep.
Media All SEC 3rd Team MLB Antonio Morrison.
(66 pts while still recovering from ACL kept his votes low imo)

Morrison was
voted 2nd Team All-SEC by the coaches.
On Tuesday, Morrison was named to the Lombardi Award watch list
and to the Butkus Award watch list.
Morrison got more 3rd team defensive votes - 66,
than the 3rd team Tn QB Dobbs' got in offensive votes - 62.
Wthout Morrison, UF starters are #1 MLB *****, #4 OLB ****, #5 OLB ****.

Safety - 6 - 4 stars, and 1 - 3 star, = 5 + 2 s-cb = 7 Safeties or 3+ deep.

DL is divided into 3 positions: DE - Rush (DE/OLB combo) and DT.

DE - 3 deep, or 4 deep with the Rush positions included.
RUSH - 2 - 4 star DE/OLB's or 2 deep.
DT - 2 - 5 stars, 4 - 4 stars, and 2 - 3 stars = 8 DT's or 4 deep

The Gator D finished at #15 in the Nation last year.
I believe that they can/will finish ranked higher for 2015. :cool:

Team re-assements are being made on an almost weekly basis..... :)

:confused:

Yep....contentment from first year of wedded bliss. The other one I had to work hard later to offset was the first year I traveled routinely for work. A good 15-20 pounds easy.

2007 RB/WR Percy Harvin 5-11 178 So 1L
Rushing - 83 for 764 yds, 9.2 ypc, 6 TD's, L-66 yds
Receiving - 59 for 858 yds, 14.5 ypr, 2 TD's, L-52 yds

DNP in 2 full games,,, (ankle or migrains?).
The team went 9-4 losing the Cap-1 bowl to the Henne QB'ed meatchickens.
Tebow won the Heisman and he was 'the focus point' for the opposing D's.
Percy got the 'cake' plays in that Tebow focused spread offense.
No doubting Percy's talent level, but IF Brandon was in that same situation, he might do as well, imoho of course.

And why exactly would I put out such a glowing speculation for Brandon's chances?

Named First Team Florida Class 8A All-State as a senior.
The Broward County 8A-7A-6A Player of the Year in 2013.

Rushed for 1,339 yards on 141 carries, 9.5 ypc as a senior with 20 TD's.
Also had 21 catches for 289 yards, 13.8 ypr and 2 TD's.
He had 452 return yards and a TD on special teams.
He also had 3 interceptions playing defense.
He was
virtually never coming off the field.
Percy Harvin + Brandon James + VH-3 = Brandon Powell :eek:
(at the Florida 8A HS level anyway.... ;))

Now it remains to be seen IF coaches Mc-Nuss can use Powell, as efficiently as Mey-Mul used Harvin. Tougher for Powell since he doesn't have a Tebow to draw defensive attention away from him. o_O

(more solid physically, no migrains, and almost as fast)

As to James and Lane, I don't recall James being a Bowl MVP as a severely under-ultilized rsSo RB. However, James was a great ST's return man.

In 2015, QB and OL will both have to step up big time for the Gators to even think about contending for the SECe.
If it's all good, then 7-9 wins with a decent bowl.
If it's 6 wins or less, then I'm very disappointed.
If it's 9+ wins then I'm astounded and very pleased. We'll see... :cool:

(i.e. don't really care, but I wonder if DG is still strumming his git-tar in his mommies basement, of if she's finally thrown him out) :p --- :D

2007 RB/WR Percy Harvin 5-11 178 So 1L
Rushing - 83 for 764 yds, 9.2 ypc, 6 TD's, L-66 yds
Receiving - 59 for 858 yds, 14.5 ypr, 2 TD's, L-52 yds

DNP in 2 full games,,, (ankle or migrains?).
The team went 9-4 losing the Cap-1 bowl to the Henne QB'ed meatchickens.
Tebow won the Heisman and he was 'the focus point' for the opposing D's.
Percy got the 'cake' plays in that Tebow focused spread offense.
No doubting Percy's talent level, but IF Brandon was in that same situation, he might do as well, imoho of course.

And why exactly would I put out such a glowing speculation for Brandon's chances?

Named First Team Florida Class 8A All-State as a senior.
The Broward County 8A-7A-6A Player of the Year in 2013.

Rushed for 1,339 yards on 141 carries, 9.5 ypc as a senior with 20 TD's.
Also had 21 catches for 289 yards, 13.8 ypr and 2 TD's.
He had 452 return yards and a TD on special teams.
He also had 3 interceptions playing defense.
He was
virtually never coming off the field.
Percy Harvin + Brandon James + VH-3 = Brandon Powell :eek:
(at the Florida 8A HS level anyway.... ;))

Now it remains to be seen IF coaches Mc-Nuss can use Powell, as efficiently as Mey-Mul used Harvin. Tougher for Powell since he doesn't have a Tebow to draw defensive attention away from him. o_O

(more solid physically, no migrains, and almost as fast)

As to James and Lane, I don't recall James being a Bowl MVP as a severely under-ultilized rsSo RB. However, James was a great ST's return man.

In 2015, QB and OL will both have to step up big time for the Gators to even think about contending for the SECe.
If it's all good, then 7-9 wins with a decent bowl.
If it's 6 wins or less, then I'm very disappointed.
If it's 9+ wins then I'm astounded and very pleased. We'll see... :cool:

(i.e. don't really care, but I wonder if DG is still strumming his git-tar in his mommies basement, of if she's finally thrown him out) :p --- :D

James is one of the best special teamers in the SEC in the last decade. Lane had one good game against East Carolina. And honestly, I don't know that he'll ever live up to anything near James. I think Lane will always be known as the guy we had to have that stopped Chump from pursuing Alex Collins or Derrick Henry. I seriously think Chump is the stupidest head coach, ever.

And no, Powell will never fit Nuss anywhere near as well as Harvin did Meyer-Mullen because he doesn't belong between the tackles

Last edited:
Another loser earns his ignore option,,,, bub-bye meatchicken :cool:

Anyone want to start taking bets on how long before he has ignored over 75% of the people here?

And Insta, your senility has worsened. I'm not a guitar player, nor have I lived with my mother since I was 18...especially not in the basement (which doesn't exist).

Perhaps it's time you consider looking into assisted living facilities.

Anyone want to start taking bets on how long before he has ignored over 75% of the people here?

And Insta, your senility has worsened. I'm not a guitar player, nor have I lived with my mother since I was 18...especially not in the basement (which doesn't exist).

Perhaps it's time you consider looking into assisted living facilities.

guitarist.gif

Those who only read, as opposed to those that constantly rant, is a rather large majority imo.

Therefore, ignoring the idiot ranters does not affect those that come here to just read. o_O

I see the ranters as mostly being funny :D, in a pitiful sort of way :confused:, but certainly not worth the time to respond to their constant ranting. :p

And any of the ranters that choose to 'ignore' me are doing us both a favor. However, IF they chose to continue to read what I post, (can't help themselves) and then whine and/or rant about it, then they won't be difficult to identify by the readers, so it's all good to me.... :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT