ADVERTISEMENT

Not to sound insensitive....

ryan2929

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
But I've been seeing FSU fans posting photos that say Never Forget and remember the victims, all day on my Facebook. I know it is a tragedy, but none of the victims died. They are treating the post as memorials...just seems strange to me.

Im more perplexed how they turn everything into people hating on their football team. But I guess when that's all their university has you got to hold on to something.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yeah, they re acting like it's Va Tech part 2. Thank God it wasn't, obviously, but a bit much. Prayers and thoughts to the injured.

Can some of you, just once, not look at FSU as a competing football team?

Three student were shot in a library today. Regardless of the university about which you care, that kind of violence ought to trouble you.

How other students on that campus deal with their grief is up to them and they have the right to grieve anyway they wish.

This really gets old.

I apologize. I am in no way diminishing what happened. I was more diverting attention from the exact subject.

There is no competition between our universities simply because you can't play a game when only their side is playing.

Fsu is just soaking up the attention. May not be popular to say but it is the lower class culture of that University. Same reasons why their priorities are football over prosecuting criminals.

I have friends that graduated from there in 2004 who are consoling each other (girls). its just....weird.

Feel the same way, honestly. And get off your phony high horse if you're criticizing people for thinking this way. It has nothing to do with the rivalry. Innocent people get killed every day. In Chicago not too long ago, 82 people were shot and 14 of them died just on a weekend. A 9 year old little girl was shot in the head by a stray bullet while making smores at a friends sleepover. Point being, there's more tragic shit that goes on in this country that gets ignored. What happened today was unfortunate and scary but there's some serious exaggeration going on on social media.

This post was edited on 11/20 11:12 PM by champ4prez

1. The University and community had a huge scare, I'm not going to try to mock them.

2. The shooter did lose his life. Now obviously, he's entirely to blame and I'm not excusing it, but he was clearly not mentally well from all reports and the idea that a man fell to this condition and it could have had dire consequences is tragic in itself. Again, I'm not making excuses, but he has family affected by this too now.

3. But to your points, people die every day everywhere and a big deal is being made of this. And I don't think it's just FSU students guilty of attention seeking, it's just the nature of our society today.

I agree not a tragedy and those who feel that way shouldn't be criticized. It's not like they're making jokes like " Tragedy was averted by this happening at a library." Too soon? FYI my kid goes there he thinks the OP is right and shares my sick sense of humor and found that joke funny.

Not to belittle the situation, but my first thought was "I guess this wasn't a football player" since the tpd responded. No one wants to see or even think about people being shot but they ARE trying to turn this into a rallying cry for their football team, and frankly that's worse than any joke we could or would make at their expense. It just shows you the messed up priorities of that place.

When I first heard it, I thought "Was Jameis involved?" Then, I heard it was at the library...

Too soon?

Originally posted by ryan2929:
But I've been seeing FSU fans posting photos that say Never Forget and remember the victims, all day on my Facebook. I know it is a tragedy, but none of the victims died. They are treating the post as memorials...just seems strange to me.
I don't know, man, I think your criticism is about form over substance. Hard to hold it against FSU students for encouraging thoughts or prayers or whatever for victims of that shooting, even if the students are using terms typically associated with fatalities. Not ripping you, it is a little bit weird, but not weird in a way that provokes me to ask why the students are making such a big deal of the shooting. It is a big deal.

Particularly since, for once, it involves a crime not committed by a football player.

For those who say it's not a big deal would you feel the same way if it happened at your kids school? At UF?

Originally posted by delach88:
For those who say it's not a big deal would you feel the same way if it happened at your kids school? At UF?
Did anyone say it's not a big deal?

I was at UF during the Gainesville killings. A different thing, but it was pretty damned scary. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (literally, since I consider noles to be enemies)

Originally posted by StevieBGator:
I agree not a tragedy and those who feel that way shouldn't be criticized. It's not like they're making jokes like " Tragedy was averted by this happening at a library." Too soon? FYI my kid goes there he thinks the OP is right and shares my sick sense of humor and found that joke funny.
What's tragic is that there are people like the shooter out there. Glad he's the only fatality for sure. Although none of the victims were killed, I think we've got to give people some leeway on this and some of the reactions might appear to be over the top, as the OP noted, but tough to judge. Lots of really fragile people out there. And as for the gallows humor, that's how some people deal with stuff like this, they make jokes. Personally, I think it's a good one - the punchline is the school, not the victims ...

Originally posted by otownrob:
Originally posted by ryan2929:
I don't know, man, I think your criticism is about form over substance. Hard to hold it against FSU students for encouraging thoughts or prayers or whatever for victims of that shooting, even if the students are using terms typically associated with fatalities. Not ripping you, it is a little bit weird, but not weird in a way that provokes me to ask why the students are making such a big deal of the shooting. It is a big deal.

Particularly since, for once, it involves a crime not committed by a football player.
Facebook exchange I witnessed between two of my female friends that graduated from FSU '03 and '04 went something like this:

"Squeezing my hubby and daughter a little tighter tonight than I normally do, if that's possible"

response from her friend:

"Hang in there, it has been a scary day but we will get through this, FSU united"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COME ON MAN...

This is largely an "us against the world" mentality that two soccer moms (great people I promise) are taking on as a result from all the media criticism directed toward FSU athletics (football and Jameis) recently with the mishandled cases. In no way, shape or form is this sports related but the victim mentality of the alumni in defense of the football program is bleeding through. These people live no where near Tally but you'd think they were witnesses to the shootings...like I said, I don't want to sound insensitive, but if this disturbs them to that degree they should NEVER turn on the news.

Originally posted by E3PO:

3. But to your points, people die every day everywhere and a big deal is being made of this. And I don't think it's just FSU students guilty of attention seeking, it's just the nature of our society today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT