ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to move on from Scott Stricklin?

Very Interesting Read
https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/12/19/florida-gators-move-on-scott-stricklin/

"...It hasn’t been apparent that Stricklin is willing to invest the funds into UF’s big sports that other schools do.

Unless big changes come to Scott’s philosophy in the next year or two, it might be best for Florida athletics to move on and find a new athletic director."

He is tied to Napier now. If Napier was to fail they will fire him to let the new AD make the next hire. He is here through most of the 2024 season at the least I would think.

He is tied to Napier now. If Napier was to fail they will fire him to let the new AD make the next hire. He is here through most of the 2024 season at the least I would think.
fever,

In the grand scheme of things, Napier’s long-term success at Florida wasn’t going to boil down to whether he could’ve gone 8-4 with a promising bowl game showing in Year 1. It wasn’t going to boil down to 1 year of Richardson, either. If you can believe it, Napier’s time in Gainesville won’t just be defined by whether Jaden Rashada turns into the next great Florida quarterback (though it would obviously help if he did).

This is still the same as it was before — recruit and develop talent at an elite level AND always put the team above relationships with all personnel-related decisions. Mullen failed in those 2 areas.

Napier can still succeed. He needs time. At the same time, if we’re still doing the same song and dance in Year 2, we can actually have the discussion about whether he’s the right fit long-term.

For now, though, bailing on Napier is premature at best and ridiculous at worst. Emphasis on the latter.

These thoughts on Napier come from a link Tebow Time posted
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...-napier-youre-looking-at-this-all-wrong-2022/

fever,

In the grand scheme of things, Napier’s long-term success at Florida wasn’t going to boil down to whether he could’ve gone 8-4 with a promising bowl game showing in Year 1. It wasn’t going to boil down to 1 year of Richardson, either. If you can believe it, Napier’s time in Gainesville won’t just be defined by whether Jaden Rashada turns into the next great Florida quarterback (though it would obviously help if he did).

This is still the same as it was before — recruit and develop talent at an elite level AND always put the team above relationships with all personnel-related decisions. Mullen failed in those 2 areas.

Napier can still succeed. He needs time. At the same time, if we’re still doing the same song and dance in Year 2, we can actually have the discussion about whether he’s the right fit long-term.

For now, though, bailing on Napier is premature at best and ridiculous at worst. Emphasis on the latter.

These thoughts on Napier come from a link Tebow Time posted
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...-napier-youre-looking-at-this-all-wrong-2022/

I know he can still succeed and I hope he does but if we get a repeat of 2022 in 2023 with someone like Miller at QB instead of getting a good bridge year QB or just letting a freshman take their lumps I think he will be digging his own grave. People are going to turn on him fast if we go 7-5 next season with someone like Miller in at QB.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Very Interesting Read
https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/12/19/florida-gators-move-on-scott-stricklin/

"...It hasn’t been apparent that Stricklin is willing to invest the funds into UF’s big sports that other schools do.

Unless big changes come to Scott’s philosophy in the next year or two, it might be best for Florida athletics to move on and find a new athletic director."
The point about the WBB coach is valid, but the money issue is not.

Here is a copy of the most recent UAA budget I could find, 19-20. I did a breakdown of the key numbers. The glaring issue is that G&A is 30% of the budget and UAA administrative salaries are much higher than total coaches salaries. I'd love to see the current one, UF lost 60M during COVID while opening some new facilities, so there is probably a debt service, and increased the number of staff and the recruiting budget in football, while at the same time getting a new TV contract and a big revenue boost, so the numbers might be far different now.

The reality, though, is that most of these are hard numbers, and they are spending everything they get. It's not like they are banking money each year and could just spend more. The only real way to boost football spending would be to cut admin costs, where, admittedly, there are a lot of dollars going, but between the school, the NCAA, and the feds there are surely a lot of rules to follow and a lot of reports to make, so they might need a lot of staff to meet requirements. I don't know the answer to that. But I can tell you that Stricklin doesn't have a lot of discretion on the budget, most of these costs are fixed, and even where he can make changes, he has to get approval from the UF President and the UAA Board of Directors on the budget, and they certainly have a 5 year plan (or longer) in place, and the budget reflects the plan, so to radically change the budget would mean redoing the 5 year plan, which would be a huge undertaking.

Here's the budget:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/gatorzone.com/documents/2019/6/10/uaa_ob_es_2019_2020.pdf

Key items budget breakdown:

G&ASalary
Salaries25,820.00
61%​
Sports18,406
29%​
Admin Svcs9,034.00
21%​
SA Support15,401
25%​
Facilities7,453.00
18%​
Aux2,817
5%​
Total42,307.00G&A25,820
41%​
Total62,444

Reactions: bradleygator
I don’t think most people are looking to fire CBN. I think most of us were just expecting to see competence or at least improvement over the course of the year. I was thinking he’d have the gators playing with some bounce and that our on field play would actually be a positive for recruiting.

All I can say is he’d better be able to recruit his tail off. If he pulls a top 10 class, I’d say the ledger is even going into year 2.

I don’t think most people are looking to fire CBN. I think most of us were just expecting to see competence or at least improvement over the course of the year. I was thinking he’d have the gators playing with some bounce and that our on field play would actually be a positive for recruiting.

All I can say is he’d better be able to recruit his tail off. If he pulls a top 10 class, I’d say the ledger is even going into year 2.
Good points. Remember, though, after we beat Texas A & M and then trounced South Carolina how optimistic most of us were? We were 6-4 and we all thought Vandy would be an easy win, we could beat FSU and then win a bowl game and finish 9-4. Instead, the team collapsed down the stretch and ended up 6-7. Meanwhile, South Carolina turned it around after we clobbered them by beating Tennessee and Clemson. Now they can finish 9-4 if they beat Notre Dame, 8-5 if they lose.

Good points. Remember, though, after we beat Texas A & M and then trounced South Carolina how optimistic most of us were? We were 6-4 and we all thought Vandy would be an easy win, we could beat FSU and then win a bowl game and finish 9-4. Instead, the team collapsed down the stretch and ended up 6-7. Meanwhile, South Carolina turned it around after we clobbered them by beating Tennessee and Clemson. Now they can finish 9-4 if they beat Notre Dame, 8-5 if they lose.
Yeah we like flipped identities with them like in those crazy ‘80s movies.

Reactions: instaGATOR

If CBN fired Toney and hired an OC I'd be happy. That would earn him an extra year on top of the three he needs.

Ocala,

I hate it when you & our CPA (LG89) start throwing FACTS around on this board.

You make it hard to indulge in wistful thinking & delude myself !

DAMN IT MAN !

LOL
I wish I could find the budget that article is referencing. Considering that the football budget in 2019 was 21M in a 142M budget, I'd love to see how they figured the spending on football in 2022 was 90.7M out of a 163M budget. I suspect that the writer is not experienced in reading a budget.

Jeremy Foley was one of the greatest AD's in the history of the NCAA, IMO. He made some mistakes, of course, but he built the UF athletic program into the most consistent one in the nation. Stricklin is methodically tearing that down.

I don't give Foley that much credit. His only good football hire was the one where the decision was already made by Machen basically which leaves Donovan as his only controlled big hire that worked out in the 2 big sports. We also were not far off that top 5 area in all sports when he took over. Foley also let the facilities go to crap while the other big SEC schools were updating theirs big time. Stricklin will live or die on this latest football hire but if his basketball coach doesnt turn this around next season he looks like a lot of the Foley hires where Foley always thought he was outsmarting people going for some up and comer coach.

I don't give Foley that much credit. His only good football hire was the one where the decision was already made by Machen basically which leaves Donovan as his only controlled big hire that worked out in the 2 big sports. We also were not far off that top 5 area in all sports when he took over. Foley also let the facilities go to crap while the other big SEC schools were updating theirs big time. Stricklin will live or die on this latest football hire but if his basketball coach doesnt turn this around next season he looks like a lot of the Foley hires where Foley always thought he was outsmarting people going for some up and comer coach.
I realize that many only care about football and to a lesser extent basketball and maybe baseball. But I'm looking at the entire athletic department, not just football. Jeremy Foley made UF the most consistent all around athletic department in the NCAA and that's an undeniable fact. He was at the forefront of building up women's sports and put great emphasis on ALL the sports, leading the way for the rest of the SEC to start doing the same. On top of that, Foley ran a tight ship and kept UF from having any major scandals during his entire tenure and insisted on high academic standards, always among the best in the nation in graduation percentages. I know that football is the engine that runs the train, but I love all Gator sports and Jeremy Foley was the best in the NCAA during his 25 years at the helm, IMO. The coaches he hired and/or maintained built programs across the board that, as a whole, were unparalleled in the NCAA. That's undisputable. In addition, Foley was the CEO who oversaw the UAA budget and kept Florida as one of the very few universities whose athletic department turned a profit every year, giving millions per year back to the university's operating budget. And I know that some say Foley had nothing to do with the hiring of Urban Meyer, but I've not seen any proof of that theory. In fact, this article shows the process under which Urban was hired and it's clear this was a Jeremy Foley move. https://www.deseret.com/2004/12/15/19866554/how-florida-ended-up-landing-urban-meyer
Was he perfect and were all of his decisions, in hindsight, the best ones? No - but what CEO of any corporation makes flawless decisions over a 25-year period?
Here's a brief summary of the man's career as UF's AD:

"Foley served as UF's athletic director from 1992 until 2016, and was responsible for the hiring of several of Florida's most notable coaches, including Urban Meyer as the head football coach in 2004 and Billy Donovan as the men's basketball coach in 1996. The sports program finished as the top-ranked overall program in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) during all but one year under his tenure.[2] On June 22, 2007, Foley and the UAA signed an eleven-year employment contract "worth up to $1.2 million annually with bonuses, making him the highest paid athletic director in the country and keeping him in Gainesville until retirement age."[3] University of Florida President Bernie Machen said "Jeremy's contract is what you would expect for the best athletic director in the nation."[3]

Jeremy Foley's tenure as Florida's athletic director was generally considered successful by Gator alumni and supporters. He is most notably credited for his hiring of Meyer and Donovan who have won national championships at Florida in the two most popular intercollegiate sports. Foley's successful hires also include Becky Burleigh (the first and only coach of the fledgling Florida Gators women's soccer program that won the 1998 national title) and, more recently, Tim Walton (whose Gators softball team won the program's first-ever national championship in 2014 and successfully defended its title in 2015).

Foley has also maintained successful and long-term relationships with coaches who were hired before he became athletic director, most notably men's golf coach Buddy Alexander and volleyball coach Mary Wise.

Though he demonstrates a fierce loyalty to coaches who bring success to Florida, Foley also proved willing to remove unsuccessful coaches when he became convinced a change was necessary. Carolyn Peck, who led Purdue University to a women's basketball NCAA championship, was removed after her fifth season in Gainesville, and two-time College World Series coach Andy Lopez was fired after six seasons.

While Foley's firing of football coach Ron Zook midway through the 2004 season was unusual at the time, after the success of Urban Meyer's football teams, other universities have more commonly chosen to jettison football coaches mid-season in order to gain an advantage in the hiring process.

Foley personally attended many athletic competitions for all sports on campus and often traveled with Florida's various sports teams for significant events. In addition to the Gators' success on the playing field, the University of Florida's is one of the few athletic programs in the nation that not only supports itself financially, but makes regular seven-figure contributions to the general fund of its university.[4]

One of Foley's responsibilities as the University of Florida's athletic director was to act as chief financial officer (CFO) for the University Athletic Association. In that capacity he oversaw over $180 million in capital improvements, including two major expansions of the football stadium, the addition of a multi-purpose field house on campus and new facilities for tennis, track & field, soccer, baseball, golf, softball and swimming.[5][6] Jeremy Foley managed an annual budget of more than $89 million,[1] but was particularly proud of the athletic program's academic success. "The national average for student-athlete graduation is around 76 percent," he said. "At UF, 92 percent of student-athletes graduate."[7]"

Last edited:
I realize that many only care about football and to a lesser extent basketball and maybe baseball. But I'm looking at the entire athletic department, not just football. Jeremy Foley made UF the most consistent all around athletic department in the NCAA and that's an undeniable fact. He was at the forefront of building up women's sports and put great emphasis on ALL the sports, leading the way for the rest of the SEC to start doing the same. On top of that, Foley ran a tight ship and kept UF from having any major scandals during his entire tenure and insisted on high academic standards, always among the best in the nation in graduation percentages. I know that football is the engine that runs the train, but I love all Gator sports and Jeremy Foley was the best in the NCAA during his 25 years at the helm, IMO. The coaches he hired and/or maintained built programs across the board that, as a whole, were unparalleled in the NCAA. That's undisputable. In addition, Foley was the CEO who oversaw the UAA budget and kept Florida as one of the very few universities whose athletic department turned a profit every year, giving millions per year back to the university's operating budget. And I know that some say Foley had nothing to do with the hiring of Urban Meyer, but I've not seen any proof of that theory. Was he perfect and were all of his decisions, in hindsight, the best ones? No - but what CEO of any corporation makes flawless decisions over a 25-year period?
Here's a brief summary of the man's career as UF's AD:

"Foley served as UF's athletic director from 1992 until 2016, and was responsible for the hiring of several of Florida's most notable coaches, including Urban Meyer as the head football coach in 2004 and Billy Donovan as the men's basketball coach in 1996. The sports program finished as the top-ranked overall program in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) during all but one year under his tenure.[2] On June 22, 2007, Foley and the UAA signed an eleven-year employment contract "worth up to $1.2 million annually with bonuses, making him the highest paid athletic director in the country and keeping him in Gainesville until retirement age."[3] University of Florida President Bernie Machen said "Jeremy's contract is what you would expect for the best athletic director in the nation."[3]

Jeremy Foley's tenure as Florida's athletic director was generally considered successful by Gator alumni and supporters. He is most notably credited for his hiring of Meyer and Donovan who have won national championships at Florida in the two most popular intercollegiate sports. Foley's successful hires also include Becky Burleigh (the first and only coach of the fledgling Florida Gators women's soccer program that won the 1998 national title) and, more recently, Tim Walton (whose Gators softball team won the program's first-ever national championship in 2014 and successfully defended its title in 2015).

Foley has also maintained successful and long-term relationships with coaches who were hired before he became athletic director, most notably men's golf coach Buddy Alexander and volleyball coach Mary Wise.

Though he demonstrates a fierce loyalty to coaches who bring success to Florida, Foley also proved willing to remove unsuccessful coaches when he became convinced a change was necessary. Carolyn Peck, who led Purdue University to a women's basketball NCAA championship, was removed after her fifth season in Gainesville, and two-time College World Series coach Andy Lopez was fired after six seasons.

While Foley's firing of football coach Ron Zook midway through the 2004 season was unusual at the time, after the success of Urban Meyer's football teams, other universities have more commonly chosen to jettison football coaches mid-season in order to gain an advantage in the hiring process.

Foley personally attended many athletic competitions for all sports on campus and often traveled with Florida's various sports teams for significant events. In addition to the Gators' success on the playing field, the University of Florida's is one of the few athletic programs in the nation that not only supports itself financially, but makes regular seven-figure contributions to the general fund of its university.[4]

One of Foley's responsibilities as the University of Florida's athletic director was to act as chief financial officer (CFO) for the University Athletic Association. In that capacity he oversaw over $180 million in capital improvements, including two major expansions of the football stadium, the addition of a multi-purpose field house on campus and new facilities for tennis, track & field, soccer, baseball, golf, softball and swimming.[5][6] Jeremy Foley managed an annual budget of more than $89 million,[1] but was particularly proud of the athletic program's academic success. "The national average for student-athlete graduation is around 76 percent," he said. "At UF, 92 percent of student-athletes graduate."[7]"

I am not a Foley fan so I am not giving him a lot of credit for something we were real close to obtaining when he took over as far as the all sports things. Just like I don't give him credit for Spurrier or Meyer when he didn't control those decisions. The guy's arrogance on facilities hurt us in recent years prior to NIL coming on scene also. Basketball is about the only thing I would give him much credit for.

The Foley (fooly) haters got him removed, then Stricklin hired.
And now the worm turns. --- Sounds familiar to me....

And why stop with the AD?
Who got Foley out and then brought Stricklin in?
The UAA maybe, with the agreement, or at least the consent of the Socialist-U's Admin.
Seems that I've heard some of this before,,, from someone...........
😉

• Wow
Reactions: Gator Fever
You can question a couple of his football hires, but there is no denying that under his 25 years we won a ton of titles in multiple sports. No other AD during that 25 year stretch could boast titles in football, basketball and baseball. I believe I read somewhere that during Foley's 25 years we won 27 team national titles across 10 different sports...need to verify that.

You can question a couple of his football hires, but there is no denying that under his 25 years we won a ton of titles in multiple sports. No other AD during that 25 year stretch could boast titles in football, basketball and baseball. I believe I read somewhere that during Foley's 25 years we won 27 team national titles across 10 different sports...need to verify that.
Here are UF's National Titles under Jeremy Foley's leadership:
Football - 1996, 2006, 2008
Men's Basketball - 2006, 2007
Men's Golf - 1993, 2001
Gymnastics - 2013, 2014, 2015
Soccer - 1998
Softball - 2014, 2015
Women's Swimming - 2015
Women's Tennis - 1992, 1996, 1998, 2003, 2011, 2012
Men's Indoor Track & Field - 2010, 2011, 2012
Men's Outdoor Track & Field - 2012, 2013, 2016
Women's Indoor Track & Field - 1992

That's 27 national titles, you are correct CG1. Before Foley's tenure the Gators had won a total of 9 national titles across all sports. We are also the ONLY university in the NCAA to have finished in the Top 10 for the Director's Cup for the best overall athletic department every year that title has been awarded, which began in 1993. And it's not even close as to UF having the most SEC titles during Foley's tenure, as well as the SEC All Sports Trophy being a virtual lock for UF during those years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT