ADVERTISEMENT

If Ohio State wins the Title will Urban Meyer....

He already is. I can't even hate anymore.
He may be. I think 1 more national title would make it just about unanimous though. That 2006 coaching job he did was one of the best I have ever seen in any sport and he did a pretty bang up job with last year's Ohio State team as well.

Yea 06' was his best coaching job and last year was just ridiculous. Lost almost an entire o-line the year before, their best back, TWO starting QB's, and by the end of the year they just handled everybody. Not to mention the job he did at Utah.

Yea 06' was his best coaching job and last year was just ridiculous. Lost almost an entire o-line the year before, their best back, TWO starting QB's, and by the end of the year they just handled everybody. Not to mention the job he did at Utah.

2006 was the coaching job of all coaching jobs. Never forget the fake punt out of the endzone, completely changed the SEC Title game in Florida's favor.

Last year he beats Wisconsin 59-0 in B1G title game knowing going in that he had to impress. Wins two playoff games with a third string QB. But most impressive to me was he used his normal spread philosophy to beat Bama, then turns around and used Bama style to whoop Oregon. Not to metion they lost the TO battle to Oregon 4-0 and still won the game.

Not to mention there may not be a better recruiter alive, hell he is beating us in-state right now.

Reactions: RD_Gator
2006 was the coaching job of all coaching jobs. Never forget the fake punt out of the endzone, completely changed the SEC Title game in Florida's favor.

Go back and take a look at the main contributors to that 2006 National Title team. This is why I say it is one of the best coaching jobs I have ever seen in any sport. Not one of the starting offensive lineman played a single down in the NFL. Not one. Only Andre Caldwell from the WR unit played in the NFL and Percy Harvin. Our RBs were Deshawn Wynn and Kestahn Moore. Really? Leak never took a snap in the NFL. Tebow was Tebow, but he was a true freshmen.

Our defense was dominant, but the only guys that ever did much in the NFL was Ray McDonald, Brandon Siler and Reggie Nelson. Our starting CBs were Ryan Smith and Reggie Lewis. A transfer and a converted WR.

Pretty incredible when you go back and look at the roster. Compare the 2006 roster against the 2008 roster and it is night and day the amount of talent on the 2008 team vs. the 2006 team.

Go back and take a look at the main contributors to that 2006 National Title team. This is why I say it is one of the best coaching jobs I have ever seen in any sport. Not one of the starting offensive lineman played a single down in the NFL. Not one. Only Andre Caldwell from the WR unit played in the NFL and Percy Harvin. Our RBs were Deshawn Wynn and Kestahn Moore. Really? Leak never took a snap in the NFL. Tebow was Tebow, but he was a true freshmen.

Our defense was dominant, but the only guys that ever did much in the NFL was Ray McDonald, Brandon Siler and Reggie Nelson. Our starting CBs were Ryan Smith and Reggie Lewis. A transfer and a converted WR.

Pretty incredible when you go back and look at the roster. Compare the 2006 roster against the 2008 roster and it is night and day the amount of talent on the 2008 team vs. the 2006 team.

All this. Which is why I always LOL'd at the people who claim Zook left him a stacked team. We had some good college players for sure, but in terms of NFL talent that squad couldn't compete with any of our 07-10' teams. Hell the 11' team Muschamp had his first year had more NFL talent than the 06' team.

All this. Which is why I always LOL'd at the people who claim Zook left him a stacked team. We had some good college players for sure, but in terms of NFL talent that squad couldn't compete with any of our 07-10' teams. Hell the 11' team Muschamp had his first year had more NFL talent than the 06' team.
Agreed

Last year he beats Wisconsin 59-0 in B1G title game knowing going in that he had to impress. Wins two playoff games with a third string QB. But most impressive to me was he used his normal spread philosophy to beat Bama, then turns around and used Bama style to whoop Oregon. Not to metion they lost the TO battle to Oregon 4-0 and still won the game.

Not to mention there may not be a better recruiter alive, hell he is beating us in-state right now.

hold your horses with that oregon game, that was the single worst game plan in the history of college football if we are ironically speaking on the word goats... Oregon played a one man front against a power running team in the most important game in their programs history... Nothing will ever be more embarrassing than that ever again, at any level.... and FSU lost to that team by 40 lmfao while gaining like 600 yards.

He will go down as a back stabbing, get sick when he loses, RUMORED of having affairs on his wife
while she did the same and

One of the GOAT.

When I say I'd rather win in January than February...this.

He already is. I can't even hate anymore.

I have no dog in the fight, but curious how Meyer would be considered better than Saban. Meyer's won titles at UF and OSU; Saban has won titles at LSU and Bama.

Meyer
Overall: 141–26
Bowls: 9–2
Titles: 3 (2006, 2008, 2014)

Saban
Overall: 177–59–1
Bowls: 8–8
Titles: 4 (2003, 2009, 2011–2012)

It's certainly a close call, for sure. Just for argument's sake, though:

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Overall: 323–85–17
Bowls: 15–12–2
Titles: 6 (1961, 1964–1965, 1973)

Bobby Bowden
Overall: 377–129–4
Bowls: 21–10–1
Titles: 2 (1993, 1999)

Joe Paterno
Overall: 409–136–3
Bowls: 24–12–1
Titles: 2 (1982, 1986)

Steve Spurrier
Overall: 226–85–2
Bowls: 11–10
Titles: 1 (1996)

Bob Stoops
Overall: 168–44
Titles: 1 (2000)

What's the measuring stick for GOAT? Being successful (winning MNCs) at multiple schools is certainly impressive and a line in the sand putting Meyer and Saban over the other guys listed.

I have no dog in the fight, but curious how Meyer would be considered better than Saban. Meyer's won titles at UF and OSU; Saban has won titles at LSU and Bama.

Meyer

Saban

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Bobby Bowden

Joe Paterno

Steve Spurrier

Bob Stoops

What's the measuring stick for GOAT? Being successful (winning MNCs) at multiple schools is certainly impressive and a line in the sand putting Meyer and Saban over the other guys listed.

For me Meyer's stints at Bowling Green and Utah put him above the pack. When Saban was at a lower level program he lost 5 games a year. Meyer took over a Bowling Green program that had won like 2 games the year prior and instantly won 9 games...at Bowling Green. Did the same type of thing at Utah.

Then his bowl record>>>>>>> Saban's. First coach to lead a non-BCS program to a BCS game too. And in the years that Meyer has won a title his SOS has either been #1 or #2, at UF anyways. I'm not sure what Ohio St.'s SOS was last year though.

Meyer

Saban

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Bobby Bowden

Joe Paterno

Steve Spurrier

Bob Stoops

For me, and oozie eluded to it in other terms, what seperates Meyer from Saban is winning %. Urban is in .844 and Saban is .745. That is a huge difference

For me Meyer's stints at Bowling Green and Utah put him above the pack. When Saban was at a lower level program he lost 5 games a year. Meyer took over a Bowling Green program that had won like 2 games the year prior and instantly won 9 games...at Bowling Green. Did the same type of thing at Utah.

Then his bowl record>>>>>>> Saban's. First coach to lead a non-BCS program to a BCS game too. And in the years that Meyer has won a title his SOS has either been #1 or #2, at UF anyways. I'm not sure what Ohio St.'s SOS was last year though.

I forgot about Bowling Green...I had considered Utah, but the consistency from BG to OSU is, in fact, pretty astounding!

1d02a3a270f30201c15f8d6de753c9b3.jpg

The observation about Meyer doing well at Bowling Green and Utah is a worthwhile point to make. However, to be fair to Saban, at MSU he had to compete with at least two traditional national powers yearly, both on the field and in recruiting. Overall the Big10 is much tougher that the conferences Utah and Bowling Green compete.

Right now, I give Saban the nod, if for no other reason than he has won 4 titles, two of them back to back.

When Meyer is firing on al cylinders and has his program humming he's the GOAT college football coach.

I don't think there's enough of a base of years of him as a HC to be labeled the "Greatest of all time"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT