ADVERTISEMENT

How does Foley do it?

HardeeWildcatFan

Gator Great
Oct 19, 2004
How does he pick such great Coaches. Yes he made 1 bad mistake with Muschump but I think Muschump tricked everyone of us.

Opinions?

So what is different than any other ad after hiring a new coach after one left?
You could say the same thing after Meyer left

Foley also made a mistake in Meyer after he tried to leave the,first time

My buddy from up north told me they brought him in to talk to their class about a year back, they were all fawning over him. IT was a big ten school

Foley better hope McElwain works out (I think he will) or he would be 0-3 in football hires where he was basically making the decision himself. Everyone knew Meyer was coming no matter what when Machen said that stuff about Spurrier applying like everyone else.

Who should we hire as our AD, Michi, please tell me who you would offer/hire, that has a better resume than Foley?

Not suggesting we get a new AD, just get him an assitant AD to deal with football hires and football buyouts and new contracts. All the things Foley is clueless about.

Perhaps maybe an assitant of facilities management as well

How does he pick such great Coaches. Yes he made 1 bad mistake with Muschump but I think Muschump tricked everyone of us.

Opinions?

Billy Donovan was a real gem. There can be no doubt about that.

I don't blame him for Zook - Spurrier gave us no warning and it was after all the top candidates for that year had already been hired by other programs so he took a guy who he knew could at least recruit. That was not a bad strategy and that worked out well for us in the long term. OTOH, I don't credit him that much for Meyer. Everybody knows that was Bernie Machen's doing. Muschamp though and sticking with Muschamp is all on him.

As for the coaches in the minor sports....and yes they are MINOR sports...its not very hard to get good ones. You offer them Florida's outstanding recruiting base and throw more money at those programs and of course you can get the best coaches. If you're a good say, Golf coach where would you rather be - Oklahoma State or UF? That's no comparison. It doesn't take some super genius AD to pull that off.

The AD makes his name on his football and to a much lesser extent, men's basketball hires. Those are the sports that everybody wants to win, the sports that everybody pours resources into and the sports that make money because they are the ones the fans care about.

Death-Troll speaking out of both sides of his mouth. These two post made 10 minutes apart:

From this thread:
As for the coaches in the minor sports....and yes they are MINOR sports...its not very hard to get good ones. You offer them Florida's outstanding recruiting base and throw more money at those programs and of course you can get the best coaches. If you're a good say, Golf coach where would you rather be - Oklahoma State or UF? That's no comparison. It doesn't take some super genius AD to pull that off.

The AD makes his name on his football and to a much lesser extent, men's basketball hires. Those are the sports that everybody wants to win, the sports that everybody pours resources into and the sports that make money because they are the ones the fans care about.

From the facilities thread:
I heard this a few days ago. Several others such as Matt Hayes and plenty of other podcasters have said the same thing. The Foley supporters' response has been endless denial....as though these former players and several others in the media with Gator ties who have seen UF's facilities and those of our competitors were just making it all up. smh.

Death-Troll speaking out of both sides of his mouth. These two post made 10 minutes apart:

From this thread:

From the facilities thread:

Gator Gray stupidly not grasping that I was talking about the money losing sport's facilities in one post and Football and Men's basketball facilities in the other post.

Indeed that has been one of Foley's big failings....throwing money at sports few care about like women's lacrosse on which he lavished $20 million for a brand new facility after starting up this program while at the same time allowing the football and men's basketball facilities to fall behind.

I guess its too much to ask the Foley fanboys to actually pay attention.

Spurrier didn't leave UF because of lack of support from Foley. That is still one of the biggest myths in UF football history.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Gator Gray stupidly not grasping that I was talking about the money losing sport's facilities in one post and Football and Men's basketball facilities in the other post.

Indeed that has been one of Foley's big failings....throwing money at sports few care about like women's lacrosse on which he lavished $20 million for a brand new facility after starting up this program while at the same time allowing the football and men's basketball facilities to fall behind.

Except the Foley naysayers include baseball & softball in their "programs with lacking facilities". Hardly money-making sports...and both having success. But keep hating "your school". <eyeroll>

You're not making any sense... but, for the 100th time, just to be clear, the lacrosse facility was almost 100% funded by private donations DIRECTED towards the facility and the naming of it.

It's weird to me that there are Gator fans who seemingly don't like Foley. His biggest 'flaw' seems to be being a little too loyal to his employees.

Except the Foley naysayers include baseball & softball in their "programs with lacking facilities". Hardly money-making sports...and both having success. But keep hating "your school". <eyeroll>

Except I never said anything about softball. But keep trying to pass off some BS that wanting my school to have facilities that are at least on the same level as our competitors = "hating my school". Who knows, maybe you'll even talk yourself into believing your bullcrap. :rolleyes:

Death Troll: 14 Posts, all of them negative toward the University in some way. Every Single One. You are a troll and not a very good one.

Death Troll: 14 Posts, all of them negative toward the University in some way. Every Single One. You are a troll and not a very good one.

Gator Gray, tells another stupid lie about me because I had the temerity to point out that Foley let facilities fall behind in Football and men's basketball....and we just can't ever mention that Foley could ever do anything wrong now can we?

Gator Gray, tells another stupid lie about me because I had the temerity to point out that Foley let facilities fall behind in Football and men's basketball....and we just can't ever mention that Foley could ever do anything wrong now can we?

Deathroll is more than likely a troll but it's ok. Foley isn't perfect but what AD is and what AD is better? He's still the best AD in the country.

Deathroll is more than likely a troll but it's ok. Foley isn't perfect but what AD is and what AD is better? He's still the best AD in the country.

just nevermind the 17,000 + posts I have on the main board......

As for best AD in the country? I really have my doubts about that. He's made some bad hires in football and allowed facilities in the sports which pay for everything else to fall behind our competitors. I give him credit for Billy Donovan but not Urban Meyer as that was Bernie Machen's doing.

just nevermind the 17,000 + posts I have on the main board......

As for best AD in the country? I really have my doubts about that. He's made some bad hires in football and allowed facilities in the sports which pay for everything else to fall behind our competitors. I give him credit for Billy Donovan but not Urban Meyer as that was Bernie Machen's doing.

What does the number of posts on the mainboard have to do with this board? Ask Bernie Machen who reeled in Urban Meyer and fought off ND for him.

What does the number of posts on the mainboard have to do with this board? Ask Bernie Machen who reeled in Urban Meyer and fought off ND for him.

I've also posted more on this board in the past....I dunno why the post counter was reset.

As for the substance.....its funny because I remember a lot of people being PO'd at Machen for bringing in his guy over Spurrier. Oh but NOW that it worked out so well, now it was suddenly Foley's doing. Machen gets the blame and Foley gets the credit. I see how that works.

You can't think it was some kind of coincidence that the coach at Machen's former school who worked for him when he was there just happened to be the front running candidate and eventual hire OVER Spurrier who was in the job market and wanted the job.

But you can't disprove it so saying it's a myth is your opinion, just like me saying it isn't is mine.
what I can tell you is that Foley and Spurrier are still pretty good friends. They still talk fairly often.

Spurrier left because of expectations and Charles Young. Spurrier almost took the TB Bucs job a few years earlier. He didn't take that job because of Foley.

I've also posted more on this board in the past....I dunno why the post counter was reset.

As for the substance.....its funny because I remember a lot of people being PO'd at Machen for bringing in his guy over Spurrier. Oh but NOW that it worked out so well, now it was suddenly Foley's doing. Machen gets the blame and Foley gets the credit. I see how that works.

You can't think it was some kind of coincidence that the coach at Machen's former school who worked for him when he was there just happened to be the front running candidate and eventual hire OVER Spurrier who was in the job market and wanted the job.

Not me. I've never once said that. Sure Machen had the prior relationship with Meyer, but it was Foley that sealed the deal for Meyer to come to UF. Foley was the guy selling UF to Meyer. It was Foley on the plane making the deal with Meyer. It was Foley that fought off Notre Dame. Machen and Meyer themselves came out and said Foley handled all of that. Foley is the best AD in the biz. Your more than welcome to rattle off a bunch of ADs that are better if you would like.

This argument is so dumb. AD's are successful primarily because of their resources, it's not a coincidence the ones with the most revenue consistently win the most championships. It's futile to ask someone to name a better AD because it's not like you guys really know the inner workings of an AD to judge accurately yourself, it's all subjective. But everybody has to be right about something I guess, let's just keep arguing about Foley into perpetuity. Y'all aren't bored of this yet?

We wouldn't be arguing about this if Foley had canned Muschamp 2 years ago, when it was clear to everyone with half a brain where our football program was headed. But no, he had to lecture everyone about how wonderful chump was, make condescending comments about our fn base, and explain why facility upgrades were not needed.

It reminds me of Bobby Bowden in the 2000's defending Jeffy and then not retiring when the game had clearly passed him by.

Reactions: Deathroll
Not me. I've never once said that. Sure Machen had the prior relationship with Meyer, but it was Foley that sealed the deal for Meyer to come to UF. Foley was the guy selling UF to Meyer. It was Foley on the plane making the deal with Meyer. It was Foley that fought off Notre Dame. Machen and Meyer themselves came out and said Foley handled all of that. Foley is the best AD in the biz. Your more than welcome to rattle off a bunch of ADs that are better if you would like.

Of course they would SAY that.....I don't buy the statement made for public consumption. There were a lot of people saying it was Machen pulling the strings on that one. We all knew what it meant when Spurrier was told he'd have to submit a resume.

So being that the job was to coash at UF had nothing to do with why Meyer chose to come?
It was all Foley? I personally think there are many AD's who would do well at UF.
Do i think Foley should be fired? of course not.
Do I think he is beyond critisizm? of course not.

what I can tell you is that Foley and Spurrier are still pretty good friends. They still talk fairly often.
I don't doubt that at all.

My 2 cents on Foley...he is roundly considered one of the best AD's in the business, and with good reason. Look at the overall health of the athletic dept. Multiple titles and in the black. Coaches that have worked under him love him. Sure, Zook and Muschamp were misfires and if McElwain doesn't work out, watch out. But as of now, we're lucky to have him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT