ADVERTISEMENT

Golson visited Gville

He would probably have the best shot to play at UF, but our OL situation will probably be a major issue with him

29 tds passing and 8 running is pretty nice. If you think next year's a write off, then it's not worth the hassle. If we have any chance to win the SECE, he would obviously give us the best chance to put up points.

Golson only has 8 more visits. He doesn't like coaches that are yeller's and screamer's. He's just the right guy for Steve Spurrier! Bwahahahahaha! "The Ole Bawl Coach".

UFs QB situation is better than FSUs. Both Treon and Grier seem to have potential.

I just don't see McGuire filling Winston's (or Coker's) shoes. Jimbo needs someone decent to plug the gap for a year or two while he develops the newer guys. Otherwise, next season is going to be a painful, "rebuilding," year.

I would love to have his experience with our lack of OLine experience. Doubt he would come to UF but it would be nice. Real nice.

But he is more than likely FSU bound

UFs QB situation is better than FSUs. Both Treon and Grier seem to have potential.

I just don't see McGuire filling Winston's (or Coker's) shoes. Jimbo needs someone decent to plug the gap for a year or two while he develops the newer guys. Otherwise, next season is going to be a painful, "rebuilding," year.

Why do you think McGuire will be bad? One start, which he learned midweek, against a very good defense is not the best barometer. He played pretty well in that game IMO. He'll be a game manager getting the ball to Cook, Rudolph, Campbell and Lane. If he can do that we'll be fine. I can't see Golson coming to FSU unless Jimbo wants to redshirt both Francois and Johnson.

Why do you think McGuire will be bad? One start, which he learned midweek, against a very good defense is not the best barometer. He played pretty well in that game IMO. He'll be a game manager getting the ball to Cook, Rudolph, Campbell and Lane. If he can do that we'll be fine. I can't see Golson coming to FSU unless Jimbo wants to redshirt both Francois and Johnson.

I agree. I'm not sold on McGuire yet, but I agree with this statement. I will say that I've heard from people working at IMG, that Francois is the real deal.

Golson is better than Treon and Grier BUT I don't want him. We need to find out what we have in Treon or Grier and the only way to know that is to play them. If they're the answer, then great. If not, we know we're at least two years away and need to bring in 2 QB's at a minimum. But we gotta play em and find out either way.

I really don't want Golson to be honest. He is a TO machine. He got beat out at Notre Dame. Yes he has experience, but that is about it.

40 FBS QBs threw for 22 or more TDs last year, EG threw for 29 along with 14 INTs, 55 FBS QBs completed a higher pct. of passes, his stats are average at best. Sure you want him?

Duo, in what world is 3,445 yards, 29 TDs and 60% completion average? He turned the ball over a lot if you include fumbles (14 INTS on 427 attempts is not even worthy of criticism) but a lot of that IMO is because he kept pressing to score points to make up for a defense that couldn't stop anybody. And he wasn't really benched at ND either. In their meaningless bowl game Kelly decided to see what he had in his freshman since the season was over and he already knew what he had in Golston, he played a ton of snaps in that game too. From what I'm reading he transferred because ND apparently was considering a 2-QB system an using the other QB as a runner primarily and he wasn't happy about it. Like I said, I don't want him because we need to find out what we have in our young guys but he can ball.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Oh and he put up those numbers after being away from the game for an entire year when he couldn't practice, which undoubtedly slowed his development. I just hope he doesn't go to FSU.

It would be nice to have more than 2 scholarship QBs on roster. Especially since one of those 2 will most likely transfer next year.

Geez that's pathetic

Maguire seems like a good guy and I respect him for holding down the fort during the Clemson game, but FSU was fortunate to have won that particular battle.

From the very first game against Pitt, it was obvious that Winston was going to be good. I know Golson is not without his issues, but he's good enough to keep us in the game for what will likely be a rebuilding season, giving Jimbo time to develop the upcoming QBs. Having a decent, experienced QB will probably make the difference between a 4-5 loss season and a 2-3 loss season.

Duo, in what world is 3,445 yards, 29 TDs and 60% completion average? He turned the ball over a lot if you include fumbles (14 INTS on 427 attempts is not even worthy of criticism) but a lot of that IMO is because he kept pressing to score points to make up for a defense that couldn't stop anybody. And he wasn't really benched at ND either. In their meaningless bowl game Kelly decided to see what he had in his freshman since the season was over and he already knew what he had in Golston, he played a ton of snaps in that game too. From what I'm reading he transferred because ND apparently was considering a 2-QB system an using the other QB as a runner primarily and he wasn't happy about it. Like I said, I don't want him because we need to find out what we have in our young guys but he can ball.

EG seemed to go down hill and lose it last year becoming a turn over machine especially following the loss at FSU. He seemed to have lost his confidence and Brian Kelly was no help in that department........actually more of a detriment.

Once again, 2 schools down and 8 to go............The Golson Transfer Saga Continues!

I'd take him, but I'd be shocked if he picked UF. We don't have an OL, we only have one good receiver, and we play in the SEC. Not many QBs could be successful with the supporting cast he'll have here.

I think he goes to FSU, taking all factors into consideration, that's probably the best fit for him

FSU loses 4 lineman and their top 2 receivers too though. Don't think either team will have a great offense next year. Though we're admittedly behind them in terms of talent.

Grier and Harris, whichever QB wins the starting spot, is going to take a beating. I would much rather Golson come in next year and take that beating in their place.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Grier and Harris, whichever QB wins the starting spot, is going to take a beating. I would much rather Golson come in next year and take that beating in their place.

This is a solid point though. If you're Mac and you think Grier or Harris is the future, would it be beneficial to let somebody else take the beating for a year so you don't ruin them? There's obviously a trade off as they wouldn't get needed experience. But in the NFL a couple teams have basically redshirted their guys and they came out better for it (Rodgers, Big Ben, etc.)

Looks like his main competition is transferring out. Mornhinweg goes from one Ivy-Leaguer to another.
I'd be shocked now if he doesn't come to Gainesville.

From the article.......

McElwain showed his sense of humor when he was asked what the situation was like on the offensive line in the spring.

"Well, the fact that I actually started to suit up and put a 70s number on should tell you something,” he said. “Believe me, I would have got my tail beat. But we had some guys that came out there. We kind of put a roll call out there.

“We had a pizza delivery guy, a bartender and one heck of an engineering student that came out and helped us get through spring practice. I was really excited about that, and yet at the same time, that's the way it is.

:D............
.this guy is going to be a lot of fun I think.

:D.............this guy is going to be a lot of fun I think.

Ahhhhh..............oh yeah..................right, a real scream...............hardy har har!

It looks like you all are getting two QB transfers and FSU is getting one. EG is competing for the starting job at FSU, but no guarantees. It appears one headed your way has to sit a year, but is the other for depth purposes only this year? Is that correct? If so, is Grier the penciled in starter for this Fall? Treon the clear #2 or is he still in the mix for #1? If not, do you see the one transfer having a good shot at starting? Or is it pretty murky right now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT