ADVERTISEMENT

Gators #1, FSU settles for #2 again...le sigh

alaskanseminole

Bull Gator
Oct 20, 2002
San Antonio, TX
As a University of Florida running back, Chris Rainey was named a suspect in five crimes in Gainesville. He faced charges once.

Rainey's experience as a star athlete accused of criminal activity -- stalking, fighting, injuring someone with fireworks -- but ending up with a mostly clean record is not uncommon: From 2009 to 2014, male basketball and football players at the University of Florida and Florida State University avoided criminal charges or prosecution on average two-thirds of the time when named as suspects in police documents, a result far exceeding that of nonathlete males in the same age range, an Outside the Lines investigation has found.

But available reports showed that Rainey's alma mater, Florida, had the most athletes named as suspects -- 80 in more than 100 crimes at Florida. Yet the athletes never faced charges, had charges against them dropped or were not prosecuted 56 percent of the time. When Outside the Lines examined a comparison set of cases involving college-age males in Gainesville, 28 percent of the crimes ended either without a record of charges being filed or by charges eventually being dropped.

Florida State had the second-highest number of athletes named in criminal allegations: 66 men's basketball and football athletes. In 70 percent of those incidents, the athletes never faced charges, had charges against them dropped or were not prosecuted. By comparison, cases ended up without being prosecuted 50 percent of the time among a sample of crimes involving college-age males in Tallahassee.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13065247/college-athletes-major-programs-benefit-confluence-factors-somes-avoid-criminal-charges

As a University of Florida running back, Chris Rainey was named a suspect in five crimes in Gainesville. He faced charges once.

Rainey's experience as a star athlete accused of criminal activity -- stalking, fighting, injuring someone with fireworks -- but ending up with a mostly clean record is not uncommon: From 2009 to 2014, male basketball and football players at the University of Florida and Florida State University avoided criminal charges or prosecution on average two-thirds of the time when named as suspects in police documents, a result far exceeding that of nonathlete males in the same age range, an Outside the Lines investigation has found.

But available reports showed that Rainey's alma mater, Florida, had the most athletes named as suspects -- 80 in more than 100 crimes at Florida. Yet the athletes never faced charges, had charges against them dropped or were not prosecuted 56 percent of the time. When Outside the Lines examined a comparison set of cases involving college-age males in Gainesville, 28 percent of the crimes ended either without a record of charges being filed or by charges eventually being dropped.

Florida State had the second-highest number of athletes named in criminal allegations: 66 men's basketball and football athletes. In 70 percent of those incidents, the athletes never faced charges, had charges against them dropped or were not prosecuted. By comparison, cases ended up without being prosecuted 50 percent of the time among a sample of crimes involving college-age males in Tallahassee.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13065247/college-athletes-major-programs-benefit-confluence-factors-somes-avoid-criminal-charges
Police in Gainesville actually police. FSU number 2 only because TPD looks the other way.

Reactions: HardeeWildcatFan
I think it's kind of silly for a fan of a big time college program to point fingers at other schools for academic fraud, criminal behavior, recruiting violations, etc... For the most part, the same kind of things are going on at all of these schools. There are probably some coaches who put principles above winning, but they are the exception. The difference between losing and having players that commit crimes or don't graduate is that losing will get you fired.

But.......... there is a big difference between sarcasm delivered at your family dinner table and that delivered at your neighbor's table.Also Chris Rainey gave his crabs away instead of stealing them.We have AAron hernandez to keep us at number one for a long time.

But.......... there is a big difference between sarcasm delivered at your family dinner table and that delivered at your neighbor's table.Also Chris Rainey gave his crabs away instead of stealing them.We have AAron hernandez to keep us at number one for a long time.

I won't argue that...in any case, it's a disturbing article on many different levels. I'll have to read it again, but did it state what their research purview was; ie did they look at all 120+ FBS schools or just some of the "high profile" schools?

The number of arrests at both programs is disturbing. The methodology used to form the conclusions was a bit suspect.

Meh, whatever. The majority of the arrests aren't for serious crimes. I don't give a damn about underage drinking and all that other BS. I guess this will give some of the self-righteous folks at other universities some ammo to attack UF and FSU with though.

This report is nothing new, I believe most have known this for some time.

GO Canes!

Last edited:
Success is a double edged sword; with it comes the vultures from espn and 60 minutes journalism. I just tire of those living in glass houses throwing the first stone. Alaska, you are generally evenhanded and I respect you for that, I stopped posting because this board became like a pissing contest in a hurricane. Our house like the Nole's has more glass than most and maybe sticking together is the best option. Peace

Success is a double edged sword; with it comes the vultures from espn and 60 minutes journalism. I just tire of those living in glass houses throwing the first stone. Alaska, you are generally evenhanded and I respect you for that, I stopped posting because this board became like a pissing contest in a hurricane. Our house like the Nole's has more glass than most and maybe sticking together is the best option. Peace

Pretty solid analogy, especially if I'm picturing mcanes as the "hurricane." Seriously, though, success is definitely a double-edged sword. The only thing the media loves more than a good hero or success story is the unraveling of that same hero/success.

Travesty makes front page, integrity makes page 10. It's pretty sad when you think of it and all joking aside, I'd like to see a complete overhaul of college athletics...it's broken.

FSU, uf and miami recruit pretty much the same players. If any miami fan is stupid enough to think their cops aren't letting players get away with some things then I have some beachfront property in Tallahassee to sell you. FSU and uf are small college towns without much going on. Miami has all sorts of criminal activity like murders, cocaine trafficking, human trafficking and etc so when a player has a bag of weed, the Miami cops laugh and tell him to go on his way. They have much bigger problems to deal with in a shithole like Miami.

FSU, uf and miami recruit pretty much the same players. If any miami fan is stupid enough to think their cops aren't letting players get away with some things then I have some beachfront property in Tallahassee to sell you. FSU and uf are small college towns without much going on. Miami has all sorts of criminal activity like murders, cocaine trafficking, human trafficking and etc so when a player has a bag of weed, the Miami cops laugh and tell him to go on his way. They have much bigger problems to deal with in a shithole like Miami.

You compared shitholes to Miami? I think you owe shitholes an apology.

Reactions: danoleman

Lad, it is not a big deal, but you really need to learn to capitalize UF when you post over here.

It's bannable...but I haven't seen it enforced in a while and it was JD who banned me a few years back for it. Hence, why I begrudgingly capitalize my favorite school out east.

As it should be, if someone does this on the nolie hitler youth board they'll ban you. You should ban him for lack of brains at least.

GO Canes!

As it should be, if someone does this on the nolie hitler youth board they'll ban you. You should ban him for lack of brains at least.

GO Canes!

If he's going to do that, he should just write some code that auto-bans anyone that tries to post with nole or fsu in their name.

Reactions: mldental

GO Canes!

No they won't, but one thing is certain. You will ban any Nole from the cane board. Do your friends over here know you are a mod on canesport??

No they won't, but one thing is certain. You will ban any Nole from the cane board. Do your friends over here know you are a mod on canesport??

He's not an actual mod...it's more like:

puppet-master.png

We will never know the real number of criminal incidents at FSU due to Monk Bonasorte the convicted felon FSU hired to obstruct investigations, hide evidence and "bury the skeletons." Police call him first whenever anything happens and he has the blessing of Jimbo, the Athletic Director and other University Admin to try and make these things go away by any means necessary. He was very involved in the Winston incidents namely the sexual assault and also the hit and run incident where Darby and Williams left the scene of the accident for some reason with another "unidentified" football player. I wonder who that other player was? No telling how many other incidents he interfered with and was able to convince police to make go away. Maybe if UF would hire a "fixer for the football program" we would have a similar number of incidents.

We will never know the real number of criminal incidents at FSU due to Monk Bonasorte the convicted felon FSU hired to obstruct investigations, hide evidence and "bury the skeletons." Police call him first whenever anything happens and he has the blessing of Jimbo, the Athletic Director and other University Admin to try and make these things go away by any means necessary. He was very involved in the Winston incidents namely the sexual assault and also the hit and run incident where Darby and Williams left the scene of the accident for some reason with another "unidentified" football player. I wonder who that other player was? No telling how many other incidents he interfered with and was able to convince police to make go away. Maybe if UF would hire a "fixer for the football program" we would have a similar number of incidents.

You know now that your 2 championship teams under Meyer were filled with criminals and led by a person with no morals whatsoever. Yet you still cheered for them and brag about those championships. That's called being a hypocrite.

You know now that your 2 championship teams under Meyer were filled with criminals and led by a person with no morals whatsoever. Yet you still cheered for them and brag about those championships. That's called being a hypocrite.
No being a hypocrite would be saying that I had no problem with UF having all those incidents with football players under Meyer or that it was ok that someone in the program interfered with investigations etc. I have said neither. In fact I have said numerous times that there were way too many incidents under Meyer and it was embarrassing to a great University and program like Florida. Glad he is gone and glad Muschamp did a pretty good job of getting that aspect back on the right track even though he was not winning as many games. You can't find many Noles who are embarrassed by Winston's behavior or any other of the numerous incidents under Jimbo. In fact over on your message board there is a very large contingent that believe Tebow was more embarrassing to UF than Winston was to FSU. That is quite delusional. Still waiting to hear from a single Nole that Bonasorte should be gone or at least should stop interfering in investigations etc. It is quite telling knowing what he does (this is according to police, state attorney and unnamed FSU sources in the article) and yet he is still there and still doing it. That means he has the approval of Jimbo, athletic director and University President otherwise he would be gone.

This thread is akin to two felons, convicted of the same crime, arguing which one of them is the most moral and less hypocritical.

This us true...nothing has changed with dumbo taking over, same old stuff boobah was hiding.

Go Canes!

No being a hypocrite would be saying that I had no problem with UF having all those incidents with football players under Meyer or that it was ok that someone in the program interfered with investigations etc. I have said neither. In fact I have said numerous times that there were way too many incidents under Meyer and it was embarrassing to a great University and program like Florida. Glad he is gone and glad Muschamp did a pretty good job of getting that aspect back on the right track even though he was not winning as many games. You can't find many Noles who are embarrassed by Winston's behavior or any other of the numerous incidents under Jimbo. In fact over on your message board there is a very large contingent that believe Tebow was more embarrassing to UF than Winston was to FSU. That is quite delusional. Still waiting to hear from a single Nole that Bonasorte should be gone or at least should stop interfering in investigations etc. It is quite telling knowing what he does (this is according to police, state attorney and unnamed FSU sources in the article) and yet he is still there and still doing it. That means he has the approval of Jimbo, athletic director and University President otherwise he would be gone.

I believe the problem is nation wide and not just at a few southern football schools, yet you and mccanes solely focus on FSU while ignoring the problems at your own schools. Gee, I wonder why. Saying that you're glad Meyer is gone, after he quit, isn't a powerful statement by the way.

Back to the topic at issue. Even though the data shows that auburn, mich.st. and notre dame reports are entirely unreliable because the campus police won't report, or data regarding 18-20 year olds is redacted, etc., those schools are still shown on the charts. Look how awesome ND looks. Wonder how they reported the rape/suicide involving their player. This is a typical hack job. It wouldn't be difficult to do an actual study, with variables to include severity, but that would likely run counter to the ESPN narrative.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT