ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball team needs a new name

Nastigators

Gator Great
Sep 27, 2006
Billy's Bricklayers. Worst free throw shooting team I've ever seen. I understand big guys sucking at the line. Small guards, not so much.

Nice job of coaching this bunch up after being down 10-0. Damn.

Hopefully next year the guys will practice this chit on their own time. Key to beating UF? Hack a Shaq.

It is crazy to think, but it is time for Billy to bring in a shooting coach. Poor free throw shooting has been going on for the last 6-7 years. They very easily could have lost this game after being up by double digits with 1:21 to go.

Also, brace yourselves for the TAMU fan on his way over to blame the game on the officials again.

Looks like an insecure UK child (redundant, I know), and previously banned, dropped by first.

It was crazy to be in bounding the ball to hill and Chiozza play after play. I think Billy thought the game was out of reach and was trying to give those guys some confidence, but you can't have carter on the bench there and those 2 in the backcourt. It almost cost us the game. That said, there's only so much a coach can do when your players are as bad at the line as we are.

Other than free throws, last 2 games have looked good. We are finally running, which opens up the game for d - robb and murphy and plays into what hill does best.

Yep its crazy. We used to have guards hitting over 80% of their free throws some years back.

It is to the point they need a sports psychologist, not a shooting coach. This season is baked. They could be very decent next year if they get that foul shot monkey off their back.

Billy has publicly criticized his PG for not getting in the gym on their own to practice FT shooting. He cannot force them to do it. But he has also said after poor FT shooting days, Hill will get into the gym.

They need to do it every day. Hundreds every day.

I did an analysis of Florida FT shooting over the years. If memory serves, in the last 17 years, 10 have seen the team as a whole shoot better than 70%. So it is incorrect to say poor FT shooting is a staple of a Donovan team. That said, the last three years have been woeful, with this year being the worst.

A friend did this analysis;

Miami we lost by 2, shot 7-9 for 78%. Not bad.

Georgetown we lost by 1 in OT. Shot 9-14 in reg for 64%, 4-5 in OT. Would have won if we shot 71%.

FSU we lost by 2. Shot 7-13 for 54%. Would have tied if we shot 70%, won at 77%.

UConn we lost by 4. Shot 2-8 for 25%. Would have tied if we shot 75%.

@Ole Miss we lost by 1. Shot 15-24 for 62%. Would have won if we shot 71%.

Ole Miss we lost by 1. Shot 6-9 for 67%. Would have tied if we shot 78%.

@A&M we lost by 1. Shot 4-7 for 57%. Would have tied if we shot 71%.

So there's a few in there that FTs may have cost us.

If 71% is a fairly average percentage, then shooting that would have
given us a couple more wins and a couple more chances in OT. If we won
one of those two in OT, then that may have put us at 18-12 instead of
15-15.

*granted, I know all the end-game scenarios would have been different.
One or two extra points would have changed the dynamics, but it's all I
have to go on.

I remember one of the knocks on joakim Noah was that the ball spun the wrong way on his free throws. If I remember correctly, his avg was around 70 %.

He would be the best free throw shooter on this team by a mile

Originally posted by MJWilliamson:

Georgetown we lost by 1 in OT. Shot 9-14 in reg for 64%, 4-5 in OT. Would have won if we shot 71%.

FSU we lost by 2. Shot 7-13 for 54%. Would have tied if we shot 70%, won at 77%.

15-15.

have to go on.
What's even more frustrating is not getting to the line at all. Four of those games, we didn't reach double figures in attempts. I understand that's a symptom of ineffective post play, and defenses collapsing because we can't keep them honest from the perimeter. Unless you're a complete team, it's hard to win when getting outshot from the line as much as we are. Of course, it's compounded with woeful free throw %. Together, you have a sub .500 season.

15-15.

have to go on.
It's worse than even the stats show. How many missed free throws were the front end of a 1 and 1?

Originally posted by Nastigators:
Billy's Bricklayers. Worst free throw shooting team I've ever seen. I understand big guys sucking at the line. Small guards, not so much.

Hopefully next year the guys will practice this chit on their own time. Key to beating UF? Hack a Shaq.
laugh.r191677.gif
That's pretty funny.

Aside from offense, defense and rebounding the Noles have been pretty stellar this season as well.

Originally posted by Nastigators:

laugh.r191677.gif
That's pretty funny.

Aside from offense, defense and rebounding the Noles have been pretty stellar this season as well.

The lack of shots is more troubling. Absokutely can't get to the line that infrequently and shoot a terrible percentage.

Billy will be back next year with a more experienced team. They will be a lot more competitive.

Get away from this sport and go watch some great Baseball and Softball. Before you know it pig skin will be here.

15-15.

have to go on.
True, which is why I would include the first Kentucky game. I'm going by memory, but the score was 61-59 in the waning moments of the game (Chiozza missed a three at 64-59), but if Florida shoots 10-14 at the line, which is 71%, the entire dynamic of the game is different. After looking it up, at the 1:05 mark, Kentucky and Florida had each shot 14 free-throws; Kentucky had hit all 14 (they missed one later), and Florida had missed seven. If Florida hits three more, this is a one-point lead for Florida with 1:05 left. Much different game. Also, how many front-ends were missed? It's like missing twice. Georgia missed THREE front-ends in the Kentucky game (they shot 9-18 overall). In essence, they missed SIX free-throws. Kentucky and Calipari have been bitten by the bug. In Kentucky's last three losses in the tournament, they shot a combined 26-53 (yikes). Memphis missed three out four against Kansas (including at least one front-end). Moreover, in Kentucky's last three losses in the Final Four, Kentucky shot 19-41 from the free-throw line; their opponents lit it up at 53-63 (Arizona shot 34-41 in that 1997 game alone!!). Kentucky's opponents in the FF last year shot a combined 29-30 (Wisconsin was 19-20; UCONN hit all ten free-throws).

I WISH puts were the only problem
This team could not hit straight chipshots, sand wedges, approach shots ot drives either

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT