ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Grant is back

MONDAY APRIL 13, 2015

Reunited: Anthony Grant Rejoins Gators Staff

Anthony Grant worked for 12 years as an assistant to Billy Donovan, including five as associate head coach.

By Chris Harry
GatorZone.com Senior Writer

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- In the aftermath of Alabama's decision last month not to retain Anthony Grant, the coach sat down with his wife to discuss their next move. The most attractive option was to sit out a year and spend time with his family.

The Grants decided they could do that in Gainesville, a place they still called "home."

But then a spot opened up on Florida coach coach Billy Donovan's staff and, lo and behold, Grant and the Gators officially were reunited Monday when he was hired to replace outgoing assistant Matt McCall, who Sunday was named head coach at Tennessee-Chattanooga.

For Grant and his family, the developments were as whirlwind as they were fortuitous.

"Pretty easy call, man. It's all about relationships," Grant told GatorZone.com of his return alongside not only Donovan, but also assistant coach John Pelphrey, director of basketball operations Darren Hertz, head trainer David "Duke" Werner and executive assistant Tracy Pfaff, each of whom he shared years of success with before embarking on his head-coaching career. "Pretty much everyone in that office is like family to me. So this is like coming home. The way it all worked out? God has a plan."

Grant accompanied Donovan from Marshall when the staff made the jump to UF in 1996. He remained with the Gators for 10 seasons, leaving in 2006 -- after the first of Florida's two NCAA championships -- to become head coach at Virginia Commonwealth.

In three seasons at VCU, the Rams went 76-25 under Grant, including two NCAA Tournament berths (with an upset of Duke in '07) and one trip to the NIT. In 2009, Grant was hired at Alabama, where he went 117-85 over the last six seasons, with one NCAA bid and three trips to the NIT.

Now, he's back.

"Obviously, Anthony is one of my best friends," Donovan said. "He's also a great coach."

Grant's roots in the state are not limited to UF basketball. He grew up in Miami, starred at Miami Senior High, played collegiately at Dayton before returning to his prep alma mater as an assistant and then embarking on his college coaching career alongside Donovan. As a recruiter, he was instrumental in landing South Florida standouts Brent Wright, Major Parker, Udonis Haslem and Teddy Dupay, a quartet that helped lay the foundation for the Gators rapid ascension to prominence in Donovan's early years.

Now, his family with wife Christine has grown with four children (three sons, one daughter), with the oldest, Anthony Jr., set to graduate from high school in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and the youngest still in elementary school. The Grants have some personal matters to attend to and some settling in to do.

Eventually (and soon), there will be basketball to deal with.

"I'm looking forward to getting down there and doing what I love to do," said Grant, who faced the Gators twice during the 2014-15 season, falling 52-50 at home and 69-61 again in second-round play of the Southeastern Conference Tournament. "I have a lot to get familiar with. I'm the new guy coming in. I know Billy and the staff were disappointed with the results last year, but there are some good pieces in place, and the roster, I feel, will be talented next season."

Tough culture over in Bamaland if it's not football related. Grant is a good guy. He will get another chance. Glad we have him back regardless for how long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT